• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 28, 2021

    macOS The "Stocks" App is the current biggest waste of potential.

    macOS The "Stocks" App is the current biggest waste of potential.


    The "Stocks" App is the current biggest waste of potential.

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 12:19 AM PDT

    The native Stocks App has so much room for improvement yet Apple doesn't seem to want to touch it or update it all. Simple things like custom time spans, more in-depth portfolio monitoring, custom gains/losses. I know a lot of banks have this all built into their stock web-clients, but usually the UI on those are clunky and look like they're straight out of 2008. Every time I do a quick stock search I'm so disappointed that Apple overlooks the native stock app (and I have yet to find a truly stunning 3rd party/web based one--aimed for personal/individual use).

    submitted by /u/MarinersCove
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the deal with Logitech and the M1?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 10:30 AM PDT

    "We won't be writing any software for the thing, it's just a fad" - Logitech (maybe)

    So we are coming up on M1's anniversary soon and there is still no love from Logitech. Why? Anyone know?

    If your wondering what I'm talking about, check out the Logitech Capture software and it's lack of compatibility with the M1. Considering how many people own Logitech webcams, it's pretty much the same as saying "f@ck you" to those customers.

    submitted by /u/Assinova
    [link] [comments]

    Minimal MacOS Email Client

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 01:54 PM PDT

    Minimal MacOS Email Client

    For the past year or so, I have been on a mission to find an aesthetic and minimal email client. I am hopping to find one that looks similar to the look of my terminal window theme.

    I am currently using Thunderbird... not amazing look. The closest I found are Spark and Mailspring. What do you guys use? Any recommendations?

    https://preview.redd.it/ru6f9maxryj71.png?width=1644&format=png&auto=webp&s=3c6a6c17686527ef6f9fd4ab72f20fe441ca1e57

    https://preview.redd.it/56napp0vryj71.png?width=1644&format=png&auto=webp&s=fae0fea5cfe026c6b1b212bb8092f6845b790aaf

    submitted by /u/synthesis_of_matter
    [link] [comments]

    This device isn't getting disconnected. I've tried everything I possibly could but it still not disconnecting.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 08:55 AM PDT

    Windows 11 ARM in Parallels

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 02:29 AM PDT

    I've been working with Windows 11 for some office apps in Parallels, on my MacBook Air M1. I received an email from the Windows Insider Program that said they will soon be releasing early builds on the Insider Preview channel and recommend me to switch to the Beta Channel if I want more stable builds. I tried to do this through the instructions here but I get the message that my hardware does not meet the minimum system requirements. Does anyone know what to do about this?

    submitted by /u/131318535
    [link] [comments]

    Blackmagic eGPU not working correctly(?)

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 07:57 PM PDT

    Hi there, I recently got an eGPU for my 13" MacBook Pro 2020, and I wanted to make sure it was working, so after I started up a graphic heavy game, I checked Activity Monitor. However, it seems that my built in graphics are doing all the work. I already changed the settings for all my apps to prefer an eGPU, so what am I doing wrong? I included a screenshot.

    submitted by /u/TOTCYT
    [link] [comments]

    How can I stop an application from initiating its default pop-ups but not its functions?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 11:15 PM PDT

    I run an application on my Mac without problem with its functionality at all. But each time I initiate it, it immediately pops up a general notice. It's annoying to have to manually close the message. Is there any way to set my machine's operating system to block this particular app's pop-ups but not interfering with its operations?

    Note this is not about pop-ups in web browsers.

    submitted by /u/iSkimRead
    [link] [comments]

    Mouse and Keyboard Not Found on Apple's BigSur

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 10:31 PM PDT

    I purchased a new M1/BigSur MacBook Air (2020) two weeks ago. Last week I purchased a Logitech (MK295) SilentTouch keyboard and mouse duo package. Both connect through a USB. They connected perfectly after unpacking and have been connecting just fine for the past week.

    Today, all of a sudden, they stopped working. I thought this might be related to the BigSur update I needed to install, but even after I installed this update, they are not working.

    Neither the keyboard or mouse are recognized by BigSur. I believe it is a problem with BigSur itself given that I tried to connect a different mouse with USB and it still doesn't work. But I also connected my Logitech mouse to a PC and it worked perfectly fine. When I go into System Preferences > Mouse/Keyboard, I get a waiting signal and a message that no mouse or keyboard is detected.

    It's not related to my update, and it's not related to my adapter (Satechi), given that when I plug other USB devices into my adapter, it works.

    Any help with this issue, which I believe is a system problem, would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/strangestitchdesign
    [link] [comments]

    Mac Terminal not saving aliases created using "nano ~/.bash_profile"?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 10:05 AM PDT

    I am trying to create aliases like the below but despite exiting and re-starting terminal after inputting the alias in `nano ~/.bash_profile`, the command doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

     alias aliases="nano ~/.bash_profile" 
    submitted by /u/BawceHog
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my macbook make the startup sound whenever it wakes from sleep?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 09:46 PM PDT

    Whenever I close my 2012 13" MBP and put it to sleep, after about 30-45 mins the blinking light goes off and when I open it the next time, it makes the startup sound before waking from sleep. I have already tried resetting the NVRAM, but that doesn't seem to help. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I can stop it from happening?

    submitted by /u/dart_dev
    [link] [comments]

    Media player (IINA alternatives) with Safari integration

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 05:31 PM PDT

    I've been using IINA as my default media player mainly due to its clean UI and ability to open video/audio links directly from Safari. This is especially useful for webm files, as Safari still can't reliably run the format (despite claiming it's now supported, webm videos usually can't run or show distorted video in Safari 14/15TP on Big Sur 11.5.2). IINA used to be a solid workaround with the Open Link in IINA option, but since Big Sur, IINA (1.1.2/1.2.0) has become unstable and hangs/freezes whenever the player window is (usually automatically) resized. I've tried using a newer nightly build of IINA, but since it's not an official release/unsigned, Safari won't allow the extension to run.

    It's been over a year since the last IINA release and it seems like development is dead. Are there any more stable alternatives to IINA that offer similar Safari integration?

    submitted by /u/nikop
    [link] [comments]

    Use macOS Spotlight search as calculator

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 08:47 AM PDT

    What is causing this strange USB C cord deadness?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 08:55 AM PDT

    The USB C cords with my Hidizs S9 DAC have just stopped working via the USB C ports on Mini M1. It is not the USB C port on my latest OS and up to date Mac Mini M1. I checked and plugged other USB C things in it. It works fine.

    I barely used these cords and just on a desk (no abuse whatsoever)! But they worked a few weeks ago. They were unplugged during that time.

    A SanDisk SSD USB C cord does work with the S9. Also, if I use the C to USB adaptor, the Hidizs cords work fine again.

    Did some kind of Apple update break the ability of direct USB C use by a DAC with these cords or, did some setting change I have to adjust?

    I have the silver S9 with clear cords. Worked great for months…

    Just trouble shot with AppleCare+. They got nothing. Looking like a bug Apple introduced with a recent security update. Unless… Someone knows otherwise?

    submitted by /u/pointthinker
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to Wipe Catalina off HD and Install Big Sur of Boot Drive

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 02:48 PM PDT

    Got a clean Big Sur off create install media. I'm a bit of a Catalina/Big Sur newb and confused by the HD and HD-Data and Base OS partitions when in Disk Utility in Catalina. I don't wan to have to upgrade all these Catalina machines I'd rather wipe them and install fresh Big Sur. Where's the best guide - all the tutorials are so convoluted!

    submitted by /u/mobyhex
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make a drive bootable?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 02:47 PM PDT

    I'm trying to create a bootable windows installer using unetbootin. This downloads everything I need to my drive. However, it doesn't make the drive bootable in macOS. Does anyone know how to make this drive bootable without changing the contents?

    submitted by /u/Square_Heron942
    [link] [comments]

    Terminal script to run every 10 minutes. Just simply lost with options.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 02:05 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I think I may just be either overthinking this or looking at what seems like a ton of different options.

    I am looking to run a script in Terminal every 10 or so minutes for say 5 hours. I am just making up these times and would play with the variables.

    There are so many different options that seem to be out there but I think this is why I am lost on it.

    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to accomplish this? I am grateful for your time and efforts.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/yaguy123
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended substitutes?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 12:50 PM PDT

    Lately I've been disappointed in Apple's quality in general, from the OS to specific apps.

    I've been searching for a calendar, reminders, mail and even a music app that works with my apple music library (on iOS there was Rewound - pretty nice, but discontinued).

    What are your favorite mac and iOS apps?

    submitted by /u/gilgb_
    [link] [comments]

    How to change aspect ratio of video

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 12:34 PM PDT

    What app/process can I use to change/crop the aspect ratio of a video?

    submitted by /u/AnnaLauren47
    [link] [comments]

    Feed coordinates from a GPSd server into Location Services?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 11:50 AM PDT

    So I have a GPSd server in my RV, it is connected to a GPS antenna on the roof, and it is continually broadcasting my gps information over the home network in the RV. Is there any way that anyone can think of to feed location information into macOS's Location Services?

    I figure there's not gonna be a good answer for this but I figured I should try

    submitted by /u/SuddenDesign
    [link] [comments]

    Display slider doesn't work. Don't know why.

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    Disable media caching

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 09:56 AM PDT

    Hello! Is there any option to turn off media caching in google chrome? Because when i go to flags and type media caching the flag isn't there, i know this isn't a macos related question but my ssd will break after 2-3 years

    submitted by /u/TheAndreiuTx
    [link] [comments]

    iMac 5K 2017 stuck on login

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 09:47 AM PDT

    Hi guys and gals, I was using my Mac yesterday no problems at all, went to bed, computer stuck at login screen after being asleep for most of the night, did not turn of as I was working and wanted to pick back up today ( I'm a photographer and was using capture one 20 and photoshop )

    Today I was not able to get into macOS, rebooted removing all third party accessories, only left Magic Mouse and magic keyboard connected (wired), rebooted into safe mode and I'm only getting a black screen with the mouse on it, nothing else, reset NVRAM and PRAM prior to safe boot, any ideas on what I might try next?

    Thanks! I desperately need to get work done.

    Using MacOS Catalina

    Update: safe mode only gives me these options https://i.imgur.com/PRbuiZ6.jpg

    Update2: Creating disk image with Disk Utility failed with error 22: Invalid Argument

    submitted by /u/Thatbeardedtico
    [link] [comments]

    Can't add attachments after computers been running for awhile..

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 08:32 AM PDT

    So after my computer has been running for a while I can no longer add attachments on any site. Photos, documents, etc. Nothing. This happens with Chrome and on Safari. When I restart the computer it solves the issue. It's been going on for weeks.

    I can't remember if this happened on Big Sur because I only used this Mac M1 for like a week before installing Monterey beta.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/f-as-in-frank
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel