• Breaking News

    Monday, August 2, 2021

    Apple Daily Advice Thread

    Apple Daily Advice Thread


    Daily Advice Thread

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 03:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Daily Advice Thread for /r/Apple. This thread can be used to ask for technical advice regarding Apple software and hardware, to ask questions regarding the buying or selling of Apple products or to post other short questions.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience.

    Here is an archive of all previous Daily Advice Threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type in the search bar [author:"AutoModerator" title:"Daily Advice Thread" or title:"Daily Tech Support Thread"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the titles and author.)

    The Daily Advice Thread is posted each day at 06:00 AM EST (Click HERE for other timezones) and then the old one is archived. It is advised to wait for the new thread to post your question if this time is nearing.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Gurman: Apple Silicon roadmap includes new Mac Pro, Mac mini, and more by November 2022

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 08:22 AM PDT

    Why aren’t iOS apps more available on M1 Macs

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 02:35 PM PDT

    I find it really frustrating that many top iOS and iPad apps are not available on M1. Netflix is the one really bothering me at the moment. Being able to download shows on the app is really nice for traveling, but you can't get the iOS app on macOS! Is this a matter of the developer not supporting macOS, or Apple not allowing it ?

    Seems like one of the benefits of switching to m1 that Apple promised was being able to run the vast majority of iOS apps natively. I find that most apps, games, etc are not available on macOS m1

    submitted by /u/mhatrick
    [link] [comments]

    Apple to Make Space for Larger Batteries in iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks By Adopting Slimmer Peripheral Chips

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 02:17 AM PDT

    Just for fun: What if Apple had made Mac OS-based smartphones, tablets, and watches in the ‘90s?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 07:44 AM PDT

    Mildly Interesting: New Late 2013 MacBook Pro Top Case Has Plastics Matching Newer MacBook Models, Improved Trackpad Alignment

    Posted: 02 Aug 2021 12:11 AM PDT

    I locked in the final late 2013 MacBook Pro battery replacement (right before the deadline), and noticed the top case keyboard is slightly different.

    The spring mechanisms are the same, but the plastic has been replaced with the newer plastics on the latest MacBook models. Hopefully they don't have to resubmit for FCC recertification... Kidding. Mostly.

    The largest difference is the color - it's gray, not black. Very dark gray, but not pitch black like the old keyboard.

    Personally, I prefer the older plastic as it was softer. This looks more durable, and probably won't oil over as easily. But it is rougher on the hands.

    For comparison, I present my Late 2015 MacBook Air, which had the same keyboard as the Late 2013 in keycap design: https://imgur.com/a/EOvNtva - They were the same, and are now definitely different.

    Also finally, the trackpad is more flush than past units. The bottom of the pad is not even a measurable fraction of a millimeter offset. Aside from the line, my finger cannot tell there's a difference. In the old unit, there was a fraction of a millimeter sinkage around the entire pad.

    This means they went back and calibrated even after my last top case replacement in 2018 (the battery was built in mid-2017, but my receipts say I got it in early 2018). They're applying modern MacBook assembly standards and techniques, to spare parts on a machine 5+ years old.

    Unfortunately a lot of people won't get this now, since the only machines still eligible are the 2014 and 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro's. I presume since they share a top case, Apple felt the revisions would get some added usefulness.

    submitted by /u/chrisprice
    [link] [comments]

    Apple TV app purchased/rented movies sometimes playing without sound, users report mixed success getting refunds

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 11:27 AM PDT

    I built a unique free game that gets harder the more times you play

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 02:20 PM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    This is my first iOS game published onto the App Store! It's called SkillZone and features 12 mini games that you have to play through in one go to try and top the global leaderboard. But with each attempt, the games get slightly harder in subtle ways, so you have to make each attempt count!

    I built this game to try to work on something new while also learning Swift so please feel free to drop your comments and questions below. I hope you enjoy playing and competing!

    tl;dr Human benchmark with a global leaderboard!

    App Store Link: https://apple.co/3rjoVkv

    submitted by /u/Applemoi
    [link] [comments]

    Realistically, how much of a privacy advantage do I gain from using my Gmail email address in Apple Mail?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 10:42 AM PDT

    Basically the title. I use the Gmail app because my email is Gmail, but how much of the prying eyes do I take away if I use Gmail but under Apple Mail's services?

    submitted by /u/Falom
    [link] [comments]

    AirTag’s work good in your house, terrible in public.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 12:02 PM PDT

    I've had AirTag's since they've come out and I've used them primarily for my keys. I've beeped them for around the house and have thought, "this is great!" When I magically am pointed in their direction.

    Right now, I'm standing in line for airport security for the third time. After coming to the airport, I dropped my bag off at check in, walked to security with my wife, made it through security, and after shoving all my items back in my bag I realized, "I don't have my keys." Almost smiling, I pulled out my phone and pull up FindMy app. Nothing registered. Surprised, I walked back to where I went through security. Nothing, no keys connected.

    Perplexed I headed back out of security to check-in, all the whole looking at my app. I briefly picked up signal and it connected as "weak". I started trying the sound button over and over. No one had seen keys at my check in counter.

    I then headed to the bathroom I had briefly used, nothing.

    I walked back to security, standing in line, desperately looking at my app. Still nothing. I then decided to go back and look at check in again, still nothing. All the while I realize the clock is ticking and I have only a few minutes left before I miss my flight. Briefly twice my direction had shown my keys were 40ish feet away, but then it dropped out.

    After 45 minutes of looking I asked a different check in attendant if they had seen keys. She responded that she had just given keys to lost and found.

    I ran to the airport office, the whole time seeing when my keys app would pull up. At the office entrance, my keys pulled up on screen and they started beeping.

    To say I am disappointed and frustrated at the moment is obvious. If you are thinking about buying AirTags I would say they are good for a in-house room. If you are in a large building, the app will show that the Tag is "with you", but if you're more than 50 feet away I'd say good luck. I would wait for version 2 or 3.

    TLDR- Lost keys at airport, took 45 minutes to find with no help from AirTags.

    submitted by /u/drewchristo406
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Advice Thread

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 03:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Daily Advice Thread for /r/Apple. This thread can be used to ask for technical advice regarding Apple software and hardware, to ask questions regarding the buying or selling of Apple products or to post other short questions.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience.

    Here is an archive of all previous Daily Advice Threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type in the search bar [author:"AutoModerator" title:"Daily Advice Thread" or title:"Daily Tech Support Thread"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the titles and author.)

    The Daily Advice Thread is posted each day at 06:00 AM EST (Click HERE for other timezones) and then the old one is archived. It is advised to wait for the new thread to post your question if this time is nearing.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Plenty of other phones have had this capability for years now, so why is the iPhone, as powerful as it is, STILL limited to 240fps slow motion?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 09:02 AM PDT

    I ultimately switched to an android phone with 960fps capabilities and have to endure all the drawbacks of android itself, just so that I can get super slow motion video that shows so much more depth to what is being recorded.

    Why does the iPhone not have this ability after all this time? Apple always pushes how amazing their cameras are, but don't include many features including this one...

    Anyway, just looking for an explanation as to why £1399 doesn't buy you the best of the best in the smartphone market, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Michael_Goodwin
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone users, what would make you consider a Google Pixel?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 01:24 PM PDT

    I fell out of love with Apple's iPhones for various reasons and got myself a Pixel. $320.- for an insanely amazing Pixel 4A. Love it.

    What would make you seriously consider switching?

    Btw I'm genuinely wondering, don't work for nor am I affiliated to Google or Apple or anything of the sort.

    submitted by /u/Accomplished_Fan_487
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel