• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 29, 2021

    macOS Hi lovely people, I just deleted everything from my MacBook but I have 63,7 GB unavailable as you see. Did I do something wrong? The old information is not really deleted?

    macOS Hi lovely people, I just deleted everything from my MacBook but I have 63,7 GB unavailable as you see. Did I do something wrong? The old information is not really deleted?


    Hi lovely people, I just deleted everything from my MacBook but I have 63,7 GB unavailable as you see. Did I do something wrong? The old information is not really deleted?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 06:04 PM PDT

    Neofetch on macOS

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:09 AM PDT

    Neofetch on macOS

    I mean, I didn't expect for it to work tbh

    Just ran brew install neofetch and was surprised that it actually installed

    I'm so satisfied with the Apple logo on Neofetch lol

    https://preview.redd.it/parg6ryzyyd71.png?width=1384&format=png&auto=webp&s=7e3169523e3d7925d6505ac6a96c85a7f92c81fb

    submitted by /u/Stt0421-jsk
    [link] [comments]

    Safari maxing out CPU, Chrome has no problems at all with the same website

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 11:29 PM PDT

    I've seen it mentioned often over the last few months (since Safari 10 I think?) but I am building a website that uses js for animation and I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary/resource demanding... However when running Safari the website uses close to 100% CPU non-stop, yet exactly the same website running on Chrome uses maybe 3% CPU maximum. Safari eventually complains with the "This webpage using significant energy"...

    Normally I'd say it's not you it's me, but Safari... this time it's not me, it's definitely you.

    submitted by /u/captainlardnicus
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur Missing Startup Chime Sound

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 11:59 PM PDT

    I have a Late 2015 27" iMac and it's always had the startup chime. Recently since about Big Sur 11.4, the sound stopped!

    I did research and read that Apple actually brought it back for newer macs and now has a startup sound option in preferences, but that seems to have killed it on mine.

    I've tried toggling the startup sound option in preferences, I've tried a PRAM reset, I've unplugged my mac for a while to reset SMC etc, I've tried the terminal option (sudo nvram StartupMute=%00) and nothing works.

    When I do the PRAM reset, the chime plays for that time only, but then never will again.
    Currently updated to 11.5 and still no chime.

    It seems like a small thing, but still I hate when there are bugs.

    submitted by /u/dris77
    [link] [comments]

    MBP doesn't recognize thunderbolt 3 dock anymore

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:16 AM PDT

    Hello people,

    Some days ago my MBP(2018, Big Sur 11.5.1) suddenly stopped working with my Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock. Until that event both worked together perfectly. Now it can still charge but won't detect any peripherals. I kept googling for hours now but I can't find a solution for my problem. My first thought was "the dock is dead." But it still works with my Thinkpad T480s without any problem. The dock's firmware is up-to-date. I tried using a different tb3 cable and resetting the SMC. Nothing helped.

    One strange thing I noticed: When the dock is connected then dmesg gets spammed with [ 5091.252376]: 3364379587us IOThunderboltSwitch(0@0)::processPlugEvent - Thunderbolt HPD packet for rid = 0 route = 0x0 port = 1 plug = 1 [ 5091.252386]: 3364379587us IOThunderboltSwitch(0@0)::processPlugEvent - Thunderbolt HPD packet for rid = 0 route = 0x0 port = 1 plug = 1 [ 5091.273085]: 3364400296us IOThunderboltSwitch(0@0)::processPlugEvent - Thunderbolt HPD packet for rid = 0 route = 0x0 port = 1 plug = 0 [ 5091.273097]: 3364400296us IOThunderboltSwitch(0@0)::processPlugEvent - Thunderbolt HPD packet for rid = 0 route = 0x0 port = 1 plug = 0

    Does anyone have an idea how I can find out what's wrong? Or how I can find out if my macbooks thunderbolt hardware is fried without buying a new dock to test?

    Edit:

    Another strange thing: i can't boot the mbp with the dock connected. It gets stuck at the apple logo until I unplug the Dock.

    submitted by /u/mrdrogdrog
    [link] [comments]

    Deleted my desktop file?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:12 AM PDT

    Hi, fairly new MacBook user here. Today I was going on a splurge and changing customizations and deleting Dropbox files, and I accidentally deleted a large amount of files permanently, that had been added to my trash bin at some point- not exactly sure of what it included, but a lot of things that I didn't mean to delete. I have no idea how, but now I am unable to drag anything onto my "desktop", cannot create new folders, etc. it's completely bare the options just aren't available. I created a new admin account which is working just fine, I turned on file sharing and can view the alternate account desktop on my main account, but can't edit it.

    I have a MacBook Air with OS Big Sur. I know I should have payed closer attention. I know this sounds dumb. Any advice for Me?

    submitted by /u/heather2281
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative to Spotlight or Easyfind search?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 02:59 PM PDT

    I'm looking for an alternative to Spotlight or Easyfind for searching a large amount of files, hopefully including basic regex. I don't need to search inside the files as it's mainly audio/video.

    I have over a petabyte of media (RAIDs and SANs) connected. Spotlight doesn't want to index any of the drives connected remotely over the network, and Easyfind is incredibly slow for searching that amount of data unless I narrow it down to individual drives. Anything that just uses Spotlight's index (alfred, etc) is a no-go since it doesn't search network volumes.

    I've been using Everything (voidtools.net) on my Windows machine to search our drives. It uses slow-ish folder indexing to build its search index, but once complete, it's incredibly fast and can find any file as fast as I can type. There doesn't seem to be any alternative for Mac.

    Anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/wyldie
    [link] [comments]

    Keyboard inactive with iMac

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 12:42 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Few days ago decided to "upgrade" my 21.5" late 2013 iMac installing an extern SSD where macOS Catalina will be installed on cause the old HDD inside is insanely slow.

    I used createinstallmedia to make my USB device rdy, plugged my SSD and here we go ! When I press ALT after restart to access the boot manager, nothing happens. Tried everything but seems that magic keyboard not working till I reach the login page. I can log in normally but nothing to do before. I thought it was the bt fault so I bought an usb keyboard, same thing :/

    Installed Recovery Selector to access RCV mode but don't know what to do, installed rEFInd to select usb drive for install but I can't move arrows to select...

    Tried to reinstall Catalina but still experiencing the same issue... I restart and the iMac show me directly the Apple logo and I can't do nothing.

    Any idea(s) ?

    submitted by /u/Tekkkilq
    [link] [comments]

    I downloaded this program that gave me this virtual sound output and even though I deleted the app it still shows up? How do I completely remove it?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 12:06 AM PDT

    MAC OS BigSur - external mouse issues

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 11:10 PM PDT

    Newly switched to MacBook Air with the Apple M1 chip and BigSur Mac OS and since then I haven't been able to get my external mouse working on the new laptop.

    Mouse is wireless with a USB receiver (which is plugged into the computer via USB hub, this worked fine on my previous mac). I've tried a bunch of different things like replacing the mouse's batteries, turning it off and on, deleting /library/preferences files related to the mouse from the laptop and then restarting the laptop, nothing has worked so far.

    If anyone has any other ideas that might resolve the issue, I'd be most grateful :))

    submitted by /u/faultycyborg
    [link] [comments]

    Just discovered that if you hold down a key, the accented versions of that character pop up and can be selected by number

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 10:58 PM PDT

    Constant Dual screen issue in Mac Mini 2012

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:21 PM PDT

    Hey Reddit, I have an ongoing issue with my current setup, haven't been able to resolve it in full but here it goes: As mentioned in the title, I have a Mac Mini 2012 running Catalina and i use a fullHD monitor through the hdmi port and a 2k monitor through the miniDP, however, sometimes when the screens stop showing a picture due to the sleep timeout (I believe I have it set for 15m), i wake up my computer but the 2k monitor doesn't show a picture but is being detected by the computer and the monitor shows no signal. The only way to get the picture back is by manually putting it to sleep and wait like 2-3 minutes or shut it down and do a NVRAM reset. Has anyone faced something like this and have it resolved?

    It is very annoying, specially while I'm on my work shift.

    Thanks in advance !

    submitted by /u/sandinonett
    [link] [comments]

    FileVault2 Corruption. External hard drive encrypted RAID no longer accepting password

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:22 AM PDT

    I have an encrypted RAID 1 that is MacOS (Journaled, Encrypted). Suddenly the external drive is no longer accepting the password. Disk Utility is saying the drive is in great shape. I am on BigSur 11.4.

    I know with 100% certainty the password I enter is correct and have confirmed by checking my Keychain. Unfortunately the device just says the password is incorrect. When I try to mount the Logical Partition via Terminal. Same issue; "Error: -69749: Unable to unlock the Core Storage volume"

    Looks like I am going to lose years of data today. Guess a mirror raid is really not a backup. Any last ditch suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point.

    submitted by /u/zachwguitar
    [link] [comments]

    Factory Resetting Intel iMac, very slow, what is Preboot?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:24 PM PDT

    Currently factory resetting my iMac, 2017 intel. Big Sur. Basically I erased Macintosh HD and made it fresh, and fully deleted the Macintosh HD - Data so it's not showing anymore. After this, I noticed my iMac getting super slow with the movement and load times. I'm doing this on the recovery mode safari page, and it's lagging like crazy. There is also the disk images, setup like like this 1. Apple disk image media 2. Container disk3 3. MacOS base system

    The container disk 3 has 77.8 MB in red called preboot. What it this? I've never seen it before, is it a problem, or can I just go ahead and reinstall macOS? Ty


    [link] [comments]

    Mac air WiFi problem

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 07:37 PM PDT

    So recently our WiFi went out and we had it fixed and every time I try to connect to the WiFi it says there is no up adress and it can't connect I already tried deleting WiFi and re trying it and it didn't work can someone help?!

    submitted by /u/jeffries12309
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an app or something that will allow me to the view the source code of a Mac app?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 07:14 PM PDT

    Say for example, I was to view the source code for iTunes Store pages opened in the Music app.

    submitted by /u/aflamingflamingo
    [link] [comments]

    Failed to delete macintosh hd

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    Hi

    So i want to factory reset my macbook pro and i've gone into the disk utility to erase the Macintosh HD Data, but there is 3 Macintosh HD - Data, one Macintosh HD and a macOS Base System. The Macintosh HD - Date drives and the Macintosh HD all have 25kb of data and the macOS had 1.58 gb

    How do i fix this and reset my macbook? My files are already backed up and removed off this computer.

    submitted by /u/Winter_Profession
    [link] [comments]

    Transfer from one Mac to Another?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 03:01 PM PDT

    I have my Mac Mini M1 setup how I like it. I have a MacBook Air M1 as well. If I reset my Air and did the transfer from Mini at setup would my Air be just like my Mini? Apps...settings...email...etc.

    submitted by /u/booknerdcarp
    [link] [comments]

    Two accounts with same home folder? (Catalina)

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 05:56 PM PDT

    Hi I've searched for this already and found no relevant recent results (one forum post from 2011 said it wasn't possible but a lot has changed since then so who knows). I would like to have two user accounts that share all settings except the like account name, account pic, etc account settings. Is this possible? If the account settings were stored in the home folder this would most likely not be possible (unless all the files were named based on the username), but my guess is that they are stored in another location which tells it what home folder an account has without needing to look in all the folders in /Users/*.

    submitted by /u/liquidsprite
    [link] [comments]

    Just ordered 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD for my MBP E2015, TRIM needed?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 02:04 PM PDT

    As title says, do I need to enable TRIM post upgrading my SSD on Big Sur?

    submitted by /u/me_salman148
    [link] [comments]

    Need help booting Mac mini after update.

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 05:45 PM PDT

    Hello all, I have a 2012 Mac Mini with 10.15.7 installed. The other day I had a notice to install an update. After installing the update it will not boot. The Apple logo splash screen comes up and takes 30-45 minutes for the status bar to fill (IF it fills) then nothing happens. I have left it in this state overnight so see what would happen. I hopped into recovery. I was hoping to just copy my user folder to the 2nd drive but my user folder is missing or not visible. I have tried the 'chflags nohidden users' trick I found online but that hasn't helped either. I would realy appreciate any help, either getting it to boot or to recover the files. Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/thecanfield
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get AirPods to work on MacBook Air m1

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 05:39 PM PDT

    Having so many issues getting AirPods to work on my new MacBook. Previously had a pro and it would connect and play sound automatically. Now when I try to use on my air, I hear the bing and it appears in the Bluetooth list and has the loading sign. I've turned Bluetooth on and off, turned Bluetooth off on all my other Apple devices. Sometimes it works no problems but today I can't get it to work at all.

    submitted by /u/oforopplos
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel