• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 22, 2021

    macOS I exhaled from my nose at this one

    macOS I exhaled from my nose at this one


    I exhaled from my nose at this one

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 04:59 AM PDT

    Blurry text on your external monitor with your MacMini/Macbook ? Here’s why

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:23 AM PDT

    A lot of users, including myself, had an unpleasant surprise when they connected their new Macmini/macbook on a external monitor : the user interface and text seem blurry, and not as sharp as it should be. It's quite obvious if you used the same monitor with Windows 10.

    Some friendly users would tell you that it's maybe because of your cable, your configuration, and you could try somme apps like switchresX. Because There is nothing wrong with your Mac.

    Unfortunately, that's not true.
    There is a big issue.

    So don't buy any other cable, or hope that it's an update issue. Since Mojave 10.14, Apple removed the antialiasing subpixel, so you can't have as sharp text as you could with the same monitor on Windows 10. What you can do is to install this www.fontsmoothingadjuster.com, and try to find a settings good for your eyes (I choose 1).

    Unfortunately, if you want a perfect display which nice text and ui, you'll have to get a monitor where size and resolution give a 220 DPI display. Like retina/5k monitor.

    One more thing to know, is to get a confortable user interface , you need to carefully choose the right combination.

    For example, with a 27 inches monitor at 1440p, the DPI value is 110 DPI (which is half at the recommended 220). The user interface will be perfectly sized (nothing to big or too small), but the text will not be as sharp as you can see on a retina/5K

    With a 27 inches monitor at 4k, you'll get sharper text, but the UI will be smaller. So you'll have to Zoom In quite frequently.

    If you can't buy a 5k monitor, the idea for a confortable display is to trying to aim 110 DPI :

    20 inches : 1920x1080
    21 inches : 1920x1200
    27 inches : 2560x1440
    34 inches : 3440x1440
    40 inches : 3840x2160

    But without a Retina monitor, you won't be able to get as sharp text as you could on Windows 10.

    It's a shame, and I don't really understand why Apple did this, since they're not selling Retina Display.
    A simple subpixel option that you could turn ON or Off, like ClearType on Windows 10, would make everyone happy.

    submitted by /u/frenshprince
    [link] [comments]

    Host different MacOS versions like retail Apple store?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:02 PM PDT

    I'm not sure where I should be asking this, but I've been Googling for the past hour and haven't found even a single result :(

    So from what I remember, if you enter the boot menu (hold option when booting) on your Mac at an Apple store, in addition to your Mac partition (and possibly Windows), your Mac will list a number of different MacOS versions available to install via what I assume is Apple's in-store network. What is this setup called, and is it possible to replicate it on my home network?

    submitted by /u/FitTerminator
    [link] [comments]

    Why did my Macbook Pro (OS X 10.13.4) just make a Microsoft Windows sound randomly??

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:19 AM PDT

    I was sitting here on my computer typing on a word document in TextEdit and all of a sudden it played the first half of this tone. I have no videos open which could have been the source. I have parallels desktop installed with Windows 10 but I haven't used it in months and the application was not running at the time of the noise. I have never had anything like this happen and have never heard this noise come from my computer before. I am really curious as to what happened here. If anyone has some insight as to what is going on, any comments would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Starbomber73
    [link] [comments]

    Safari Technology Preview 126 for macOS Big Sur available again

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:46 AM PDT

    Sharing some free and open source apps that I use and love

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 08:28 AM PDT

    Hidden Bar: Hides elements on the menu bar

    qlVideo: Brings support for several file extension like mkv in finder

    Soduto: Airdrop/clipboard continuity for android and macos

    rectangle: Brings window snapping features to macos

    Adguard for safari: Adblocker for safari

    pock: Customize your touchbar with custom widgets

    maccy: Mac clipboard history and manager

    joplin: Personal note taking app alternative to Evernote

    Neptunes: LastFm scrobbling for spotify and applemusic

    iiNa : A vlc alternative written exclusively for macos

    Alacritty : Gpu powered terminal that is faster than the default

    Boost-note: Md note taking app for developers/anyone for that matter

    TextMate: Simple text editing app

    syncthing : To sync files with other mac/linux/pc/android/ios (Not cloud storage only sync)

    activitywatch: Detailed Time tracker

    submitted by /u/optml-tmp_is-398325
    [link] [comments]

    Best MacOS for Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13”

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:40 AM PDT

    Hello! I have an Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13" 8GB/256GB

    Lately I've upgraded my MacBook to Big Sur and I absolutely hated it. It shuts down and restarts unexpectedly very often. I'm looking to downgrade the system and am looking for some advice/opinion. Which of the older MacOS did you like the best?

    My thoughts on the older versions:

    Catalina: Not a big fan. It overheats a lot and it reduces battery time
    Mojave: Actually skipped this version lol. Went straight from High Sierra to Catalina
    High Sierra: Felt fine to me. Been a while but I think it was pretty stable

    I'm thinking of going back to Mojave or High Sierra since I didn't enjoy Catalina either. The thing is I didn't have an experience with Mojave before, I was wondering if it's better than High Sierra or not.

    submitted by /u/DependentOlive
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS Big Sur Macbook Pro 2016 & Sidecar Using Ipad Air 2 Not Working

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:26 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I wonder if you could assist me. I have tried pretty much everything to use my Ipad Air 2 as a second display for my mac but have not been successful. I have updated both to the latest software, made sure they are both signed into my iCloud account, connected to the same wifi, Bluetooth is switched on, Two Factor Auth switched on, etc.

    What happens is that I can see handoff is working between the two devices but I cannot see the Ipad on the Airplay nor does it come up on SideCar. It just does not display at all. I have also tried connecting the iPad to my MAC using the USB Cable( Being a "relatively" newer mac it has USB type C ports so I use an adaptor to convert the normal USB cable to a type C when plugging it in, all original apple cables and connector) but still, this does not work.

    Please can someone assist me or just let me know if I am wasting my time.

    submitted by /u/SpringbokInUK
    [link] [comments]

    Waking Up MacBook with mouse/keyboard (closed-lid)

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 02:12 AM PDT

    Hi Guys, been searching around but don't seem to find an answer. I downloaded Amphetamine to use "clamshell mode" without plugging in power, however whenever when the Mac goes to sleep, I am unable to wake it up using my mouse/keyboard, my mouse and keyboard are connected via Bluetooth.

    Saw a post back in 2018 saying that newer devices are not able to wake up using mouse/keyboard anymore, but I can't find any newer info to support this.

    Im using MacBook Air M1. keyboard is Anne Pro, mouse is Logitech M590

    submitted by /u/bryanckl
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS Remote Desktop

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 01:19 AM PDT

    Long story and I will try keep it short.

    Currently I work from home working from my personal PC/Mac via RDP to my work Windows 10 Laptop that is docked under my desk but headless (no K+M or monitor). This works flawlessly and with Windows RDP on the LAN I can't tell I'm not using the Work Laptop on the console/locally. The RDP session is not mirroring the console output and I can have my native personal PC/Mac screen resolution (3440x1440) in fullscreen.

    I am thinking of moving to MacBook for work however it seems I can't work on Mac remotely like the above. MacOS uses the frankly terrible VNC protocol for Remote Desktop. It mirrors the console and I can only use resolutions the local screen/console is capable of.

    Does anyone know of software or setup for using RDP/Remote Desktop/VNC of MacOS remotely in this manner?

    I thought Nuords (https://www.nuords.com/) would work but although it uses RDP protocol it can still only supports local resolutions and it mirrors the console (performance also poor like VNC/screen-scraping).

    Am I stuck with Windows for work laptop?

    (Yes I could use work laptop on console with K+M + Monitor but I have small desk and already have personal gaming PC and Mac mini setup with USB switch and I want to minimise the amount of cables on my desk - I don't want multiple keyboards and mice either. I do not want to introduce KVMs to my screen either as they're unlikely to work with 3440x1440 180Hz cable screen)

    Any ideas? I have personal MacMini and MacBook Pro to test and emulate with before ordering Work MacBook but nothing I've tried works so far.

    submitted by /u/zefalking
    [link] [comments]

    What are the MacOS equivalent to program files and program files (x86) folders from Windows in the Mac OS finder? I’m trying to launch specific applications outside of using the applications menu for some applications that have broken shortcuts or no shortcuts whatsoever.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 12:09 AM PDT

    Norton 360 tanking google chrome network performance on Catalina

    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 12:01 AM PDT

    My sister has a 2015 MBA running Catalina and she had Norton 360 installed. Norton would constantly tank chrome's performance leading too very low network speeds 1/10 the advertised speed from her ISP it wasn't until I ran a speed test on safari did I find that Norton was tanking chrome's performance to an extreme degree. My sister would get 20 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up using chrome with Norton installed but using Safari I later found that she was getting 300 Mbps down and 300 Mbps up. After running a speed test with chrome and activity monitor, I found that Norton would heavily monitor network traffic from chrome and barely monitor network activity from Safari. I uninstalled Norton 360 after that and I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional feature of MacOS to make Safari look like the better browser for MacOS. Anyway, I'd prefer that my sister was using Firefox instead of Chrome or Safari because of its better anti tracking capabilities but some sites require her to use chrome for work and school due to the sites being coded specifically to use chrome. My question is was what Norton was doing a bug in Norton or a bug in MacOS or a did Apple purposely gimp 3rd party browsers? I use a Windows laptop and Norton actively monitors all of my browsers equally, so you can imagine my confusion. If Norton is only heavily monitoring chrome and not Safari, what security risks come with using Safari over chrome?

    submitted by /u/theemptyqueue
    [link] [comments]

    Mouse Disconnecting Repeatdly - wifi.log

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:53 PM PDT

    Mouse Disconnecting Repeatdly - wifi.log

    Mac Mini M1 16GBOS Version 11.4 (20F71)Wired Keyboard/Mouse (Corsair K70 / Logitech G600)

    So I am new to the Apple world, been a PC Tech for about the last 25yrs and an Android user :). I have recently jumped into the Apple world so I have little "troubleshooting" knowledge.

    Tonight I was playing a game and my mouse/keyboard stopped working. Could not do anything, even tried unplugging and plugging it back in, nothing. OS was not locked as I was able to continue watching the Netflix moving I had up. Had to shut off the machine and power it back on to get it working again. Now, the keyboard/mouse are working, however my mouse seems to be dropping out every for a brief second.

    I had this issue a few weeks ago and basically just reinstalled the OS. Was kind of curious on how to reimagined a Mac so it was for learning and to see if I could resolve the mouse thing. Oddly enough the mouse issue started before after it had locked up and I had to hard power down the MAC.

    Any ideas on what might be the issue? I attached the wifi.log file, which seems to have USB diconnects/reconnects logged. Not seeing it logged anywhere else, but I'm not very well versed in MacOS event logs.

    https://preview.redd.it/awt50ptxlr671.png?width=838&format=png&auto=webp&s=f869ffb4a27029fc427d937fb0e303d631db06fc

    submitted by /u/kabish
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur 11.4 not displaying svg files properly, anyone know a fix?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    Any way to block youtube ads in Safari (different then Adguard app)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 02:24 PM PDT

    Hello to this sub-reddit. Is there any way to block youtube ads in Safari, but without Adguard app? Previosly, I were using Adblock Pro Legacy app that works flawlessly for me, but some month ago it stops blocking the ads in Youtube.

    submitted by /u/DaimondRus
    [link] [comments]

    Sound Input/ Output Detect Nothing

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 08:08 PM PDT

    Inertia scrolling on non-Apple mice?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 07:11 PM PDT

    I've been a Mac user for over half a year now and one of the things that annoys me the most is the lack of smooth scrolling on third party mice. Without the use of apps such as MOS, scrolling is very choppy which makes the Mac feel slower than it actually is. I don't understand why inertia scrolling doesn't exist on third party mice, especially when it is available for the Magic Mouse. It just seems like such a basic feature which you don't notice until it's missing. Using MOS is fine for most tasks but I've noticed that it ruins games and makes apps such as Blender and Unity very difficult to control because of how sensitive it is.

    Is there any way to enable inertia scrolling on third party mice without the use of apps or do I have to buy an Apple mouse to use a basic feature?

    submitted by /u/__leonn__
    [link] [comments]

    Downgrade M1 MBA without 2nd Mac?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 05:29 PM PDT

    Hi

    I installed macOS 12 on my MacBook Air but I miss using my side loaded apps.

    So i thought going back to Big Sur 11.2.3, which was the last version which allowed sideload.

    My question is, is that possible without another Mac? Can I create a bootable usb stick, or do I need Apple Configurator 2 and another Mac?/

    submitted by /u/KuroAMK
    [link] [comments]

    should i downgrade to catalina (coming from big sur)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:24 AM PDT

    Hi

    i have a MBA i3 early 2020

    everything for the most part works fine but its the battery life and the fans keep going crazy on i open a tab on safari.

    its starting to annoy me now

    any advice thanks !

    submitted by /u/WhiskUwU
    [link] [comments]

    Enable cross-site-tracking for a specific website?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 05:07 PM PDT

    Hello,

    For functionality, I have to enable cross site tracking just for a specific website to work. This can get kind of tedious, and I was wondering if anyone had a way to enable this only for specific websites? If it helps, it's just an embed part of a website that fails to work without cross site tracking. I know this request is too specific and probably is only solvable through the use of a different browser, but it's worth the shot to ask.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/fluffyofblobs
    [link] [comments]

    the pages Equation Function is too damn small to see

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 04:44 PM PDT

    hello, I am trying to type out my chemistry assignment and the equation function is too damn small and my eye hurts or I would have to get super super close to the box to see what the fuck am I actually writing incase I need to go back and make adjustments.

    any way to make those letters9equation codings) bigger?

    submitted by /u/Sourish011
    [link] [comments]

    Disk Utility: First Aid and Erase fails for ExFat SSD/USB

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 03:10 PM PDT

    Partition works but the other two spit a dummy and issue weird messages like The disc can't be dismounted...

    I am running 11.4

    submitted by /u/mikeinnsw
    [link] [comments]

    Mac help

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 02:35 PM PDT

    Hello I'm trying to run windows on my MacBook Air can I run it off a usb thumb drive?

    submitted by /u/Badluck650
    [link] [comments]

    somebody know how to handle this issue without cmd R or reset nvram method?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 06:26 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel