• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 29, 2021

    macOS Oh no! My M1 MacBook only has 18 hours of battery life left before I have to find a charger. What will I do?

    macOS Oh no! My M1 MacBook only has 18 hours of battery life left before I have to find a charger. What will I do?


    Oh no! My M1 MacBook only has 18 hours of battery life left before I have to find a charger. What will I do?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:49 PM PDT

    Just discovered hitting Cmd ⌘ + f1 Switched display mode.

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 08:23 AM PDT

    Just discovered right now that switching between mirrored mode to two separate displays or vice versa can be done by hitting Cmd ⌘ + f1 and I am blown away since I switch between them a lot.

    submitted by /u/InsanityCreepin
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for FileMaker alternative

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 06:50 PM PDT

    I've had it! I once bought FM and spent a sizable amount on updates over the years. Then they switched to a subscription model and charge me $900/year for the minimum 5 users. I'm a single user and I run two little databases, CRM and client selections.

    I'm sick of getting charged every year. Is there a simple alternative? I'm not a developer, just a simple small business owner

    submitted by /u/BerCle
    [link] [comments]

    The case of the disappearing APFS partition

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 11:40 PM PDT

    I'm running Catalina on a macbook pro (13 inch, probably mid 2012 since it's not Retina) whose serial number disappeared, not sure if that's relevant, with Windows 7 via bootcamp. Catalina is hellishly slow, so I went to town with a cleaner app and deleting stuff. Upon reboot, I lost access to the APFS partition (can't boot to it, can't access it even with Paragon APFS for Windows).

    I've run EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard (weirdly it was taking up about 320 or so GB when I was done cleaning, on a 400GB partition, but the recovery wizard pulled up 1.3TB of content, the bulk of it was without names; however unlike my previous experience, there was also what appears to be the correct filesystem which I have recovered) and now I just wanna reinstall macOS, possibly downgrade to High Sierra, THEN increase space for Windows using Paragon Camptune.

    How should I go about doing this? Is it safe to install over the two-part APFS partitions? Or should I remove the Windows partition, clear out the entire disk, and start from scratch?

    submitted by /u/paulisaac
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur 11.3 update caution! BEWARE!

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 03:35 PM PDT

    Synology and MediaSonic NAS DAS external drives USB3.1 and USB4 are no longer mounting or recognized in DiskUtility on M1 Macs. Current escalated Apple case refusing to escalate further, it's a "3rd party issue". Synology and MediaSonic confirms several cases in the last 48 hours. Can not downgrade to 11.2.3 either so there is no work around until Apple gets a shit tonne of cases.

    Any others?

    submitted by /u/avincent98144
    [link] [comments]

    Did anyone else's Start Page look different after Big Sur 11.3 update?

    Posted: 29 Apr 2021 01:36 AM PDT

    I noticed that the alignment of the tabs/folders has been moved to the leftmost instead of the usual middle alignment. Can this be customized? It's bugging me that my Favorites and Frequently Visited tabs/folders are not in the middle alignment anymore.

    submitted by /u/missuniversed
    [link] [comments]

    Can Apple Mail be used for commercial purposes?

    Posted: 29 Apr 2021 12:59 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    Quick question. Can built in Mail app from macOS be used for commercial purposes? Or do they have to buy license for some other mail client? It isn't private device. It's company owned and I have set up my work mail there.

    I tried looking for terms of use or something like that for this specific app , but I can't seem to find it.

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/shitposter0911
    [link] [comments]

    Little Snitch: Install Endpoint Security Extension?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 05:16 PM PDT

    I've spotted an option in the preferences for Little Snitch (Advanced tab) to Install Endpoint Security Extension. There's a comment which reads "The endpoint security extension must be installed to be able to monitor access to the Berkeley Packet Filter."

    Does anyone have an opinion on why I should or should not install the extension? I've hunted around the help pages and can't find any reference to this feature.

    submitted by /u/Top_Crow
    [link] [comments]

    My Mac refuses to update?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 08:57 PM PDT

    My Mac refuses to update?

    I'm really desperate to download some programs that require my OS to be 10.13 but I can't due to my current version being 10.11.6. Simple right? Just update the software!

    So I go into system preferences - App Store and then am told "Software updates are available" I click on "Show Updates" and then am taken to this page here:

    https://preview.redd.it/5nrb5vcnc1w61.png?width=1017&format=png&auto=webp&s=eb68d716f3ed8a84f708da104444c3f032ac5433

    Despite being completely mislead it also It looks off to me. Idk if I am completely missing something obvious either. I am no tech guy just a random laptop user and I'd greatly appreciate help thanks.

    submitted by /u/coolman_249
    [link] [comments]

    New 16" MBP + Samsung C49RG9x works GREAT! But with bootcamp windows I'm stuck with a strange problem... Any suggestions welcome!!

    Posted: 29 Apr 2021 12:24 AM PDT

    Hey everyone. I run a 49" 32:9 Samsung C49RG9x monitor + MacBook Pro 16" i9 5500M 8G. It works beautifully for productivity. I've had no issues using this monitor with either HDMI or DPI connections and using any resolution (including a max resolution of 5120x1440) to the MacBook.

    I've used this set up for almost a year. I love it. This week, I wanted to try windows via bootcamp with this monitor. I've used windows bootcamp with this macbook with other "more typical monitors" with no issue.

    However, with this 49" monitor, running any resolution in windows via bootcamp, it crashes the computer. Interestingly, the monitor WILL work with windows bootcamp but only if the monitor is set in split screen mode (the monitor has a mode where I can use two input sources splitting the screen). So basically it will work when I'm using a portion of the display, only 21:9 or 16:9.

    Changing the resolution settings makes no difference.

    So my question is, how likely will an EGPU fix this? I'm thinking to order one and just give it a go. But I'm hoping someone here can tell me how likely it is that I'm wasting my time (or not)!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cariboubuns
    [link] [comments]

    New 16" MBP + Samsung C49RG9x works GREAT! But with bootcamp windows I'm stuck with a strange problem... Any suggestions welcome!!

    Posted: 29 Apr 2021 12:21 AM PDT

    Hey everyone. I run a 49" 32:9 Samsung C49RG9x monitor + MacBook Pro 16" i9 5500M 8G. It works beautifully for productivity. I've had no issues using this monitor with either HDMI or DPI connections and using any resolution (including a max resolution of 5120x1440) to the MacBook.

    I've used this set up for almost a year. I love it. This week, I wanted to try windows via bootcamp with this monitor. I've used windows bootcamp with this macbook with other "more typical monitors" with no issue.

    However, with this 49" monitor, running any resolution in windows via bootcamp, it crashes the computer. Interestingly, the monitor WILL work with windows bootcamp but only if the monitor is set in split screen mode (the monitor has a mode where I can use two input sources splitting the screen). So basically it will work when I'm using a portion of the display, only 21:9 or 16:9.

    Changing the resolution settings makes no difference.

    So my question is, how likely will an EGPU fix this? I'm thinking to order one and just give it a go. But I'm hoping someone here can tell me how likely it is that I'm wasting my time (or not)!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cariboubuns
    [link] [comments]

    Time Machine and Big Sur 11.3 (failing to back up, ongoing)

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 11:48 PM PDT

    Okay, the last time I had a real issue with any Mac OS was OS 7.5.3 (yeah, I was young), but that long streak finally broke with Big Sur,.. A lot (looots) of issues, but there is one that must be solved before my iMac suffers catastrophic failure.

    Time Machine. When I initially installed Big Sur, it never once finished a single backup, tried it with two drives, different ports (USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3), and cables; went for days (max tried: two weeks) with just the message "Backing up 49X of XXX" showing up. Tried Apple Discussions, but no help came of that, so in the end, I bought a new drive and bought CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner), set it up, it backed everything within less than an hour.

    But I'm more comfortable with Time Machine, so I promised myself the next major interim update to Big Sur I would try again with TM. Come Big Sur 11.3 I did so. Removed CCC (just for now), connected and formated the drive to APFS as before, and cranked it up.

    ...This is day two, and we are back to "Backing up 45X of XXX"...

    Sooo, anybody fancy what the bloody heck I should do next?. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/bobmguthrie
    [link] [comments]

    Best browser suggestion

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 07:56 PM PDT

    Hello, my work needs a browser with a lot of tabs with huge amounts of data like spreadsheets and databases. Macbook air has only 4gb of ram and when using Chrome the system hangs.

    I can't use Safari because I need to translate and read a lot of websites in different languages. It doesn't have any good and fast translation options like Chrome.

    I've been using Chromium for some time now and it works okay, but I still face hanging issues once in a while. Has someone conducted any experiments to find out the best Browser?

    submitted by /u/MichealScott1991
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS 11.3 Big Sur update disables display brightness control in control center MBP 2017

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 11:40 PM PDT

    MacOS 11.3 Big Sur update disables display brightness control in control center MBP 2017

    I've just updated to MacOS Big Sur 11.3 from Big Sur 11.2 and quite strangely I can no longer control display brightness on my MacBook Pro (2017 model) from control center, the slider is disabled, can't click or drag it and the only thing that does, it's that it brings the additional menu settings for switching to dark mode and night shift.

    I have attached a screenshot of the disabled slider in the control center - this is the first image, the second image in white is how the slider looked before updating to MacOS 11.3 Big Sur.

    I think this is mainly a bug.

    Have you experienced the same issue after this update (Big Sur - 11.3) ? Have you any idea how I can re-enable the slider control ?

    Disabled slider highlighted in green.

    Here is how the normal slider looked before updating

    submitted by /u/DesignedByNino
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any 2-factor authentication code apps that live in menu bar?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 07:53 PM PDT

    I just want a 2-factor auth code app that pops down from the menu bar. Does that exist?

    submitted by /u/pruppert
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anyway to make MacOS correctly handle volume on a 5.1 system connected via USB?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 07:20 PM PDT

    I have a 5.1 System connected via an Asus Xonar U5, it works fine, but every time I need to change volume, MacOS only changes the volume from the front speakers and ignore the others, is there anyway to make it handles all speakers at once?

    submitted by /u/THE_EL_GENSO
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook PRO M1 Touchbar stuck on finder

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 11:04 PM PDT

    Hi guys, i just bought my first mac.

    I did the big sur update last night and have been experiencing an issue with the touchbar ever since. That is, the volume controls and everything are gone.

    For example, when I'm in desktop, the touchbar detects the finder, and I can't control the volume, brightness, etc.

    In the browser instead, I have all the functions of search, new page etc, but no controls...

    How can I fix this?

    Thank you all very much.

    submitted by /u/raptor_121
    [link] [comments]

    Booting issues

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 11:00 PM PDT

    Hey guys. Recently I formatted my Imac 2009 and fully installed windows 10 instead of bootcamp. So my PC is running windows as my base system. Now I'm pursuing a problem that I can't access to boot menu. Does anyone know how to get boot menu of a Imac that fully operates windows system? Just let me know in the comment section. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/omidiyon1997
    [link] [comments]

    Can't call from my laptop

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    Basically, I'm able to answer phone calls on my laptop but I cannot make calls. It says, "Your iPhone must use the same iCloud and FaceTime account" even though they are on the same iCloud account. Any fix for this?

    submitted by /u/Bulletz4Brkfst
    [link] [comments]

    Half of my top sites are missing in Safari

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 06:58 PM PDT

    After installing the new update the other day, I noticed that apple change each row of top sites from 3 to 4 thumbnails per row. All of a sudden today, half of my top sites are missing. I don't know what happened and am wondering if anyone else is having this issue. They aren't hidden under the show more drop down. They are missing.

    Side note: I really don't understand why Apple decided to ruin the top sites with macOS Big Sur. First they straight up removed the feature. Then they brought it back without the ability to change the order like we could before.

    submitted by /u/CN122
    [link] [comments]

    Can't setup Gmail on macOS Big Sur (M1 Air)

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 12:44 PM PDT

    Can't setup Gmail on macOS Big Sur (M1 Air)

    No idea if this is related to Big Sur or my MacBooks M1-chip, but I can't setup Gmail in the native Mailclient.

    If I try to add the Account via the "Accounts"-Menu, all I get is the Popup (which is usually used for logging into Gmail), but the content is not loading (see image).

    It stays there for about 10 seconds and then displays an error reading something like: "authentication failed. login with google failed, please try again later".

    However I never get to the point where I could start authenticating (like inputting some account data).

    My other account (apple mail) worked without a problem. In the browser, Gmail works and on my old MacBook, there are no problems either.

    Could this be a firewall/network issue? I haven't installed a lot on this new machine, especially nothing, that would interfere with network stuff.

    https://preview.redd.it/9x71omxcwyv61.png?width=1592&format=png&auto=webp&s=1eea717e790369cdb40c44ad4e8db4813030c595

    submitted by /u/console5000
    [link] [comments]

    11.3 Breaks displaylink M1

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 05:03 PM PDT

    Warning to all who rely on displaylink adapters, after 11.3 display link display won't exceed 1080p. I found a work around on the displaylink forums that worked for me. I installed RDM which allows the user to force a resolution for a display.

    https://github.com/avibrazil/RDM

    Replied to a post on r/applehelp, but figured id post here to incase some of you encounter the same issue.

    submitted by /u/PraetorPhallusIV
    [link] [comments]

    Weird flickering/Diagonal lines issue when connecting to external displays

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 05:20 AM PDT

    Need good, inexpensive webcam for Zoom/M1 Mac

    Posted: 28 Apr 2021 04:33 PM PDT

    TL;DR: Looking for a class-compliant webcam that won't do weird things with Zoom on my M1 Mac and doesn't have a fisheye lens effect.

    Detail: A while back, at the recommendation of someone on this subreddit, I purchased an Aukey HD Webcam from Amazon. While it doesn't say so online, the model designator is "PC-LM1E", which I assume to mean it's designed for a PC. Nevertheless, it mostly works on my Mac, but has the following strange behaviors:

    1. I cannot use the Mic. People complain of a constant high-pitched whine. I've taken to using other microphones.
    2. It has a fisheye-style wide field of view, which makes everything that's not dead center look kind of distorted and bigger than it should be. Think of this being your Zoom call webcam and first it makes your body look too big relative to your head because it's low in the field of view. Worse, the lower in the field of view, the more stretched things are, so it basically makes you look... well... fat. Also, if I'm not dead center, my head/face look subtly weird.
    3. Randomly, Zoom displays a MUCH wider field of view which shows much more of my office than is "zoom-ready" and it does this with no warning. In fact, if I join a meeting with video and my video looks normal, sometimes when other participants join my FOV changes to the wider view right then and there. Showing my workout equipment and random other stuff and my body all the way down to my waist. (See #2 for why this is even worse.) This is truly bizarre and no video settings in Zoom prevent this. There are no Mac drivers for this camera.

    I need a camera that both shows a totally proportional and limited (tight) field of view with no fisheye effect and does that consistently with Zoom on an M1 Mac. Ideally, I'm not paying insane pandemic pricing for this device if possible...

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/lightsd
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel