• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 20, 2021

    macOS I got tired of the Parallels Desktop icon not fitting in with the rest of my dock, so I made my own (link to .icns file in the comments)

    macOS I got tired of the Parallels Desktop icon not fitting in with the rest of my dock, so I made my own (link to .icns file in the comments)


    I got tired of the Parallels Desktop icon not fitting in with the rest of my dock, so I made my own (link to .icns file in the comments)

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 03:46 PM PDT

    MB Pro little freezing when turning down, is it normal?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 04:20 AM PDT

    Odd results with the M1 MacBooks on GeekBench

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 10:02 PM PDT

    Looking at benchmarks on Geekbench, it appears the 16GB variants are running approximately 3.09-3.18Ghz and the 8GB variants are running at 3.2Ghz, I'm thinking that they are deliberately under locked; what has your experience been?

    submitted by /u/WildestPotato
    [link] [comments]

    Webcam Bug/Error - (Partial fix inside)

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 02:23 AM PDT

    Greetings. I have a "Acer Crystal Eye Webcam" built into my desktop monitor which I connect to my MBA 2021 with my monitor.

    For the longest time it would never work in any app, However recently I have discovered an ancient app called CamTwist. To get my webcam working in any App I need to do the following: A) Make sure Camera is disconnected from machine (Unplug USB Cable) B) Launch Camtwist app on mac and ensure it is running. C) connect the camera by USB, Then select webcam in Camtwist, and Select Acer Crystal eye webcam. D) Wait a few seconds until the LED in the webcam turns blue and I can see it is activated. E) the Final step is to remove the Webcam from CamTwist Settings, but keep the CamTwist app minimised. My Acer webcam is then functional and available in all my Apps such as Zoom/ Google Meet / Ect.

    Now the weird thing is: SOmetimes camtwist will not launch if cam is connected, and the webcam does not persist after sleep/ screen lock. Also cam twist will not launch if the camera is already connected prior to it opening, and sometimes the webcam acer appears, but just simply will not activate in any app.

    The solution is to disconnect the USB Cable of the Webcam, and then force close Camtwist if necessary, and then relaunch it following the procedure listed above.

    While I appreciate I have found a way to use my built in webcam, the method is far from ideal :( What could be causing the webcam to ONLY work when camtwist is running? perhaps there are some Keeexts/drivers i could extract? or perhaps there are other steps you could suggest?

    It would be great if the camera could be just straight plug in and play for all applications. Any Ideas?

    submitted by /u/ameeno1
    [link] [comments]

    When opening finder or any other app, some of the desktop wallpapers gets shown on the background. Possible to deactivate this on Big Sur?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 02:17 AM PDT

    Is there a way to report grammatical translations errors/mistakes in MacOS to Apple?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 03:20 AM PDT

    I found a German grammatical mistake/error in MacOS BigSur 11.2.3 (2017 MBP13 "), and I would like to share this with Apple.

    submitted by /u/AirHits4Squad
    [link] [comments]

    How to digitally sign a PDF without Acrobat Reader DC?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 01:07 AM PDT

    Haven't been able to find any other alternative.

    I think both PDF Expert and Wondershare PDFelement can only do the simple "image or drawing" signature, but not the legally binding cryptographic signature with a digital certificate.

    Is it possible that the only app in the universe that can do that is Acrobat Reader DC? I'd like an alternative.

    submitted by /u/combtmp1
    [link] [comments]

    Mac Mail sent all the drafts to recipients?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 01:00 AM PDT

    I sent an important email through the Macbook Mail application. Then when I checked the "sent" on Gmail.com to see if the email was sent, I realized that there were six different emails excluding the final email sent to the recipient. They were all basically "drafts" of the final email, meaning the first email including something like "Dear X" and the second email including something like "Dear X, this is X and I am reaching out to". However, the Macbook Mail app just says that only the final email was sent and it is very confusing. How do I know if the app actually sent seven different emails or sent one final email only? This was a very important email, so I really need to make sure that the recipient only got the final email.

    submitted by /u/godzrilla
    [link] [comments]

    What does it mean to have this gap in battery usage? I have never seen this before.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    4-5 sec to open apps in m1 Mac

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 10:38 PM PDT

    moved from a 16gb ram ryzen powered redmibook to 8gb ram m1 Mac after having many sleepless nights, knowing about apple switching from intel to m1 silicon powered Mac. did a long research and watched all YouTube videos and 2020 wwdc videos. many YouTube reviewers said its pretty fast but I find it takes an easy 4-5 secs to open pages, keynote, iMovie where as the same apps open instantly on iPhone. never used a Mac before but office opens faster in my redmibook that I used before. is it the ram problem or its normal to have 5 sec time to open these apps? I've encountered some problems like unable to open apps https://youtu.be/c25NR2RLToU that I made a video. please let me know if its natural to take 4-6 secs to open these large apps

    submitted by /u/ramkydharma99
    [link] [comments]

    Love MacBook Pro M1. Banging my head against the desk dealing with O365 on Mac and especially a barely functional People’s or Contacts tab

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 08:44 PM PDT

    Recently migrated to the new MacBook Pro M1 from 25+ years of windows. Love all aspects of the experience but Outlook on the new format. Have to use O365 since that is the corporate mail platform and I'm Pulling my hair out with how inefficient and painful to use the app is. Firstly contacts are listed with no ability to jump to a specific letter, example "D" to quickly search the names starting with D. I have to manually scroll through the list from top to bottom, no shortcuts. Next when I search for a contact I am not getting the full contact but only the name and email address. Not much use if I am looking for a contact phone number. The company name and title are listed in one column and not separated which makes searching for contacts within a specific company impossible. Finally when adding a new contact for an email it does not fill in the known information, I have to go back to the original email, which is a juggling act having to hide and open the email, to access info and copy separately into each field. Any help on either missing features, incorrect install and setup, or alternatives add ins that may assist with the huge gaps. By the way none of these issues were experienced with my Windows based Office

    submitted by /u/Backyard_Bombadier
    [link] [comments]

    Logitech MX Master 3 noticeable latency even when using the USB receiver

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 10:05 AM PDT

    I've been going crazy trying to solve my mouse issues since switching from Windows 10 to MacOS on an M1 Mac Mini over a week ago. I've done a few things:

    • Using the USB receiver helped the stutter/lag issues on bluetooth.
    • Installing Logitech Options didn't do anything. Apparently the app isn't native and uses rosetta. Ended up uninstalling it.
    • Running defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.scaling -integer -1 in terminal did get rid of that annoying acceleration.
    • Turned off "Allow handoff between this Mac and other iCloud devices". Didn't have an effect.
    • Installing SteelSeries ExactMouse tool did nothing except make my mouse unusably fast.
    • Installing SteerMouse didn't do anything. Probably because I already removed acceleration with the above command.
    • Installing Smooze did actually help the scroll wheel issues a ton, the only issue is when switching to smooth scrolling on my mouse, it stays clicky. Although it still doesn't feel as good as Windows when scrolling. I think it's once again the noticeable latency which I also feel on the scroll wheel.

    I've A/B tested this mouse with my Windows work laptop. USB dongle on Mac Mini and Bluetooth with work laptop. The difference is night and day in my opinion. My work laptop feels almost instant response versus my M1 Mac Mini has a noticeable latency that's driving me insane. The latency feels in the 40-60ms range.

    Here's a photo of where my mouse is versus my Mac Mini and my work laptop: https://i.postimg.cc/Xv5tZC9G/IMG-1473.jpg I do know that my M1 Mac Mini is in kind of a cubby where the receiver is deep in the back of the Mac, but when my Mac Mini was out in the open on my desk, even closer with a clear line of sight, I had the same issues.

    Is this just a Logitech drivers issue until they update to Apple silicon? Are there any mice that work well with the M1 Mac Mini? I was looking at the Logitech Lightspeed mice since I much prefer wireless, has anyone tried those?

    EDIT: Ended up ordering a Logitech G703 Lightspeed Hero mouse from Best Buy. I'll pick it up during my lunch break and A/B test it. That mouse uses the Logitech G Hub driver versus the Logitech Options driver, both still run through Rosetta, but maybe G Hub runs better. Willing to give it a shot and if it feels the same I'll return it. Honestly I gamed just fine on my MX Master 3 on Windows so it's more about the better hardware and different driver.

    EDIT 2: Picked up Logitech G703 mouse and tested it using the Lightspeed wireless dongle. It's an improvement over my MX Master 3 for sure. That said, when compared to plugging the dongle into a Windows laptop, the Windows machine still feels better, less latency. I feel like this got me halfway there. Like I was at ~50ms latency, now I feel like I'm down to ~20ms latency. But I still haven't hit that <10ms that I feel on Windows. Also, when plugging the same G703 direct to the Mac Mini over a wire it had the same latency. Nothing changed.

    EDIT 3: To be clear for anyone finding this thread. My current set up is: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Mouse, dongle connected directly to M1 Mac Mini. Logitech G Hub software installed, DPI set to 1600. Smooze software installed with acceleration turned off in Smooze and through terminal. I'm finding this to be the best setup so far out of everything I've tried and an improvement over the MX Master 3 with Logi Options. No acceleration however still that subtle 15-20ms latency. However, it has definitely crossed the threshold where I feel like I could get used to this and actually game versus the MX Master 3.

    I found an old blog that mentioned this issue: https://dae.me/blog/1205/the-cause-for-all-your-mac-os-x-mouse-annoyances/ and it seemed like SmoothMouse did fix it. However, it's deprecated now. Currently deep in the comments reading about it but all the comments are ~3 years old so I'm not confident I'll find more software that'll remove that latency on macOS Big Sur.

    submitted by /u/SafeNeighbor
    [link] [comments]

    find all nonsearchable pdf on mac

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 02:21 PM PDT

    I have thousand pdf on my mac HDD, a lot of searchable (after OCR process) and a lot of nonsearchable (scan like picture in pdf). Is there any way how to find (via any app) all "non searchable" pdf?

    submitted by /u/future130
    [link] [comments]

    Homebrew Package Auto-Upgrade Tool

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 10:34 AM PDT

    Does anyone have an issue with multiple Desktops and "focusing on apps"

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 07:51 PM PDT

    My problem is this:

    • I am browsing (on Firefox, for example), and have a window opened
    • I have finished what I'm doing, but I keep the window open in case I need to come back
    • I open or move to a new Desktop
    • I want to start a new Firefox Window

    I don't like to use the trackpad for things like this. But then there doesn't seem to be a way possible to focus on Firefox and open a new window. Here are my options

    • Click on the dock icon: this doesn't work because it will just take me to the Desktop with Firefox open
    • Right click the dock icon and click new icon: this is too slow and I have to use my trackpad
    • Use command tab and focus on Firefox: this doesn't work because it will just take me to the other desktop with Firefox open (this is super annoying)

    Does anyone have the same problem, and possible a solution?

    submitted by /u/buzzerperson
    [link] [comments]

    imac 2019 Slow running since purchase

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 07:06 PM PDT

    Hello I hope someone knowledgeable in the are can assist. I have an imac that is running extremely slow , I use external harddrives to backup all my content so the I am using maybe 20 gb of memory. I also run clean my mac on a consistent basis but the system is slow , take around 20 minutes for an app to load, took me about a full hr to download discord. I am using the latest Big Sur OS. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/iverson6631
    [link] [comments]

    select multiple adjacent items in finder shortcut not working (shift-click) [big sur]

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 06:51 PM PDT

    "Select multiple items that are adjacent: Click the first item, then press the Shift key and click the last item. All items in between are included in the selection." - description from apple support. I tried this with multiple types of files and it is not working. I am stuck with drag clicking to select multiple adjacent files. Any solution?

    submitted by /u/Tycronk
    [link] [comments]

    2019 iMac High CPU Usage/Fan noise

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 06:45 PM PDT

    Machine Specs:
    Model: 2019 27" iMac
    CPU: 3.6 GHz i9
    RAM: 24GB
    GPU: Radeon Pro 50X 8GB

    I've had this machine for a bit over a year since buying new. Something that's driving me crazy is how any web browser I use causes extreme CPU spikes which in turn causes the fans to ramp up. I've tried Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and now on Brave. Only extension installed is my password manager. I can have no other programs running in the background and only 2-3 tabs open. But if one of the tabs is YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, Amazon, or pretty much anything that isn't just text, the "Browser Helper (Renderer)" and "Browser Helper (GPU) " shows up to a combined 200% CPU usage from a single page. So CPU hits above 100 degrees, fans ramp up like crazy.

    Been dealing with it for some time, but man it's gotten old. Fans blasting from a web tab on a production machine that cost over $3k is pretty ridiculous. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so any solutions other than selling it and buying an M1?

    submitted by /u/Exodus1818
    [link] [comments]

    Receiving Airdrop video files on MacOS fails - Sandbox: sharingd(496) deny(1) file-write-create /Volumes/stuff

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 06:34 PM PDT

    I have a BigSur 11.2.3 Mac and I am huge problems aidropping pics and videos from an iPhone.

    The transfer works (network/wifi stuff) but MacOS won't allow the pic or video file to be written to local disk.

    If I watch the console app I get:

    Sandbox: sharingd(496) deny(1) file-write-create /Volumes/<some dest>

    example:

    Sandbox: sharingd(496) deny(1) file-write-create /Volumes/G-RAID/Downloads/IMG_0709.MOV

    I checked all permissions on the Volume directories in the path to where the file is written. I removed Avast thinking it was that mess of an AV messing it up but after a reboot it still happens.

    How do I permit or allow Sandbox or sharingd to write to a /Volumes/ directory?

    submitted by /u/echo5juliet
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS screen time adds up even in sleep mode? Any logical explanation?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 06:26 AM PDT

    Can't drag & drop files and programs onto the Desktop. Why is that?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 05:24 AM PDT

    Macbook Pro thinks an external display is connected even if the monitor is not displaying that input source.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    I have an Intel based mac mini and an M1 macbook pro both connected to an LG 38BN95C-W monitor. I have them both connected at the same time so that I can use the PBP feature, which works fine, however, when I switch out of PBP mode, my macbook pro still thinks it is displaying a second screen, so half of my windows are not accessible bc they are on a screen that is not being displayed. The only way that I've found to get around this is to physically disconnect my thunderbolt cable, which is really annoying for two reasons. First, because I switch between computers a lot, so I'm often switching the input source, and/or switching in and out of PBP, and secondly, because I use the thunderbolt cable to supply power to my macbook pro, so then i need to unplug the thunderbolt cable, and plug in a usb-c power cable every time i switch input sources on my monitor. This is not a unique problem to this specific monitor. I had the exact same problem when I tried using a Samsung CJ791 monitor, which supports both PBP and PIP. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution to this?

    submitted by /u/MrPrezident0
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to use a YubiKey or similar device instead of login/authenticator password?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 05:09 PM PDT

    I'm talking about instances in the OS where you have to provide your login/admin password.

    submitted by /u/livelifeontheveg
    [link] [comments]

    Mail: Profile installation failed. Unable to verify account name or password.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 12:03 PM PDT

    I was trying to add an email account to my macbook with my domain. But for some reason I get the error message which I wrote in the title (I am not sure if it is the exact text, because I have the system set to a different language). I could add the same account on my iPhone, so the login credentials are correct. I've checked if the IP has been blocked, but it hasn't. I can add a different mail address from the same domain on the macbook. Does anyone know how to fix it?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/GreenBeard-II
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel