• Breaking News

    Monday, April 19, 2021

    Apple Help 2020 intel MBA hacked/compromised - thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

    Apple Help 2020 intel MBA hacked/compromised - thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.


    2020 intel MBA hacked/compromised - thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 04:36 PM PDT

    So I'll start by making it clear that this is a last resort for me (well, before I take it to the Apple store with all this info) after many many hours troubleshooting/doing my own research into trying to handle it myself.

    Also, apologies for a lot of this info being scattershot and fragmented, I'm just going to throw out a few of the biggest red flags I've seen but am aware they might not all be related.

    DISCLAIMER: I bought this MBA from apple and have no interest in hacking/cracking one, also I'm the sole owner and user.

    To cut a long story slightly less long I just recently found a few pieces of evidence that point to my mac having been compromised in a fairly non-typical way - or at least beyond the usual "run malwarebytes and do a fresh OS install" type way - and I don't have a high enough skill set/overall knowledge to be effective/take it any further solo.

    Let me just provide a couple of issues I'd faced before coming to the main things I'm dealing with now:

    After downloading and running Little Snitch for a few days I discovered that dozens of normal mac processes (like Trustd, mDNSresponder, Configd etc) were either entirely being used by malicious domains that redirected from legitimate ones, or were harbouring some. Upon closer inspection I realised that many of the processes were clones of the originals that originate from the system itself were indeed still active. This was after I'd already blocked a ton of malicious websites connecting to my network.

    While annoying and definitely a concern (card details were taken and my bank blocked a few large transactions abroad and I reckon this was the cause), I figured It was manageable and a case of DNS poisoning/some malicious hijacking of safari. But after digging further I realised that an expired/certificate was backing up each problematic process. Looking into keychain I found certificates had been added at a very specific/unusual time and that an unknown person/program had swiped a bunch of important system level keychains. I'll admit the latter could have been me misreading/panicking over legit keychain logs but I feel confident enough to mention it.

    Now for the juicier stuff. I've been suspicious for several weeks that my mac has a malicious or at least corrupt EFI partition had been behind the weird stuff I was coming across even after fresh installing a OS onto a wiped drive. It was only this week that using Diskutil I managed to mount and view my (one of two) EFI partitions and the contents was not what I'd expected and suspicious (one of the files was marked BEEFCAFE) and it had a bunch of other seemingly non-firmware related files.

    And then I found an unmounted and hidden Untitled drive and a number of mounted "folders"(?) that included weird logs with mentions of installing a patched OS. As well as a restore file that seemed to reference loading files off my IPhone? I took some pictures that I'll include below.

    -- It's worth noting that when booting into safe mode things are v different and looking in 'system info' reveals many 'unknown' pieces of software, extensions, and frameworks ---

    Finally, I stumbled on Active Directory, which I was unaware existed, and found that two domain admins had had the ability to issue Administrators. After a lot of googling I found plenty of dodgy domains/users or whatever that are used to extract passwords/sensitive info (I am aware AD is a legitimate service integrated with mac.)

    Now, after paying attention to the recovery/installer logs while in the process of reinstalling an OS (must have done it a dozen times in various configurations) I noticed that 'Opendirectoryd' and some other strange processes were hijacking the install.

    Basically my suspicion is that somehow my OS has been changed to Open Core/generally cracked and that potentially my system has been set to have some kind of Managed Client privileges?

    ALSO - my hunch is that a 3gb disk image that is listed as external and filesystem-less by diskutil could be behind this. It's mounted to Disk0 and has been impossible to shift even after erasing and reinstalling the OS on my mac

    There are so many more examples of suspect goings on but I'll leave it there.

    If anything I figured this would be interesting/helpful info to put out there. But honestly any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I not long ago had to have Apple remove the firmware password and was assured it would be 100% factory fresh, but not even that seemed to have sorted it.

    'Patchd_OS' logs hidden on a system volume: https://imgur.com/a/P4dwulM

    A few images from the sus Installer log in recovery mode: https://imgur.com/a/cFMRcBV

    submitted by /u/No_Injury7724
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way I can recover my notes?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 06:37 PM PDT

    A couple weeks ago, I made the mistake of deleting the notes app. After I redownloaded it, I was horrified to see all of my notes were gone. I've tried all of the following to restore the 5 years worth of notes I've created: syncing them to iCloud in settings, syncing them to my email in settings, and going on iCloud.com only to discover that my notes aren't on my iCloud account either even though I'm 90% they were saved into iCloud. This is beyond frustrating and disheartening and I can't believe there's nothing else I can do. Edit: scratch that, SEVEN years worth of notes

    submitted by /u/ultrasupersnail420
    [link] [comments]

    Moving countries - Apple credit balance

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 10:15 AM PDT

    Hi everyone. I've got a situation here and have not been able to resolve it yet, so I hope you can help out. I just moved from Europe to the US, and now I have to download some apps (e.g. AT&T), but my region settings wont allow this. So I want to change my region settings, however I still have about EUR 60 in credit from a gift card on my Apple ID / iTunes. In order to change my region settings, Apple tells me I need to spend this first. Of course, I would like to spend it on buying a US charger or extra cable here in the US, but it seems I cant use my EUR balance for that.

    I would like to just convert the EUR to USD, but that cant be done. Only option I see is to spend the EUR on music or paid apps that I don't really need. I just called Apple support and the only thing they said is I have to figure this out myself and they believe in me. I tried to search a bit online but cant find much, does anyone here have any idea's how I can do this without losing EUR 60?

    submitted by /u/OK_Renegade
    [link] [comments]

    left airpod doesn’t connect to iphone and the battery pop up bugs

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 05:20 PM PDT

    Apple Mail Advice

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 08:56 PM PDT

    Apple 🍎 Mail help

    Hey everyone, I am having an issue and I'm not sure how to move forward.

    At work, I've been given a MacBook Pro as my work from home computer. It is not new. But works fine.

    The old IT guy installed the email account as a pop3 email account so there is no "sync" between devices and my phone. Sometimes mail is on my iPhone other times it's on my Mac.

    I need to change this it is killing my productivity.

    I tried adding an imap account and then I just selected all my pop3 mail and tried dragging it to my impa account. It looks like it started to work and then it just restarts after it gets to around 5,000 or so messages.

    Anyone have any ideas how I can 1: stop the email from looping with the copy? 2: how do I move my pop3 email to my imap account??

    Any ideas or help would be appreciated I am an average apple 🍎 user...

    submitted by /u/Etherkey2020
    [link] [comments]

    Unusual Battery Health

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 08:40 PM PDT

    iPhone SE 2020 iOS - 14.4.2

    Phone's hardly 6 months old but battery health percentage has dropped till 91%. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

    Some things:- 1. I don't charge my phone all the way up to 100%. Unplug it at around 85-90% most of the times and plug it in at ~10%. 2. I don't keep it plugged overnight normally. 3. I don't keep my phone in low power mode when over 20%.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/AcanthocephalaNo5672
    [link] [comments]

    Iphone not letting me click on anything

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 07:58 PM PDT

    I have an iPhone 11 and it recently stopped working. I can open my phone and use my passcode and all that, but when I load up my home screen, it doesn't let me click on any apps. I try to tap on it, but the app doesn't open. I can scroll through the apps but I cannot open them, nor scroll down the notification bar. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/poisonsalts
    [link] [comments]

    [iPhone 12 Pro Max] Fitness App question. What is the total hours under the “Exercise” section? (See screenshot). Circled white.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 01:55 PM PDT

    Cross post. Me and seller trying to wipe phone he sold, but we can’t seem to get it to actually delete him off the old phone 8.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 10:04 PM PDT

    Guy sold me phone without resetting. Totally cooperative but we can't get this iPhone 8 to wipe.

    Hello,

    I have tried to reset this iPhone all night. There isn't even an error screen. It just won't. Do. It.

    I click through everything to reset completely, it seems to do so but then once it starts up again after the silver apple and loading bar finish, lo and behold the previous owners info is still on the phone, like a bad penny. Tried both with his Apple ID logged in, and without. He gave me the passcode to get thru Lock Screen.

    I showed him how to remove it using his new device's Find My app. He was able to click through the process no problem. Clicked erase remotely and then removed account. But I still am using his old phone same as ever, all his stuff on it still.

    He has two factor on too, so it's a whole rigmarole just getting into basic areas of the phone like iCloud etc. but everyone is fully cooperative. It's like the easiest thing ever but this BS just isn't effing working.

    I haven't tried logging out of the ID yet and rebooting up, post-removal via Find My app. I'm afraid of the hassle if it doesn't work. Luckily, we are both just regular people living in the same town.

    submitted by /u/Lives_on_mars
    [link] [comments]

    Where to find list of backups

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 04:06 PM PDT

    Is there any way I can access a long list of backups instead of just the last few? I gotta get my notes back.

    submitted by /u/ultrasupersnail420
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone X battery replacement

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 02:26 PM PDT

    hey, im pretty new here and i was just wondering if its necessary to remove all the screen cables while replacing the battery? ive seen tons of yt tutorials and everyone is disconnecting them, but i think its kinda risky... i replaced my 6s plus battery while the screen was plugged in and my bro was just holding it in the 90° angle for me. cant find the answer anywhere:/ thank you! :)

    submitted by /u/sntmrk
    [link] [comments]

    I've tried many different methods and they haven't worked: How do I delete other data?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 03:55 PM PDT

    I know that this seems to be a very common question, but I do not believe my case is. I have tried using GrandPerspective, I've tried individually searching for each item, I've cleared my photo's & mail's trash, I've cleared my caches, I've cleared my iPhone backups, and absolutely nothing will let me get rid of the 34 GB of other data on my Mac. So, I need special help; the kind that Google won't provide.

    I have dealt with and properly removed other data in the past, mine hasn't been that large in a while, but I decided today that I wanted to do some cleanup of various unwanted folders & documents and such. I found that my Applications folder was oddly large, and my other was around a normal size (but could've been smaller). After doing some digging, I found that I had old Steam files that were taking up ~30 GB of data. I haven't played any of those games in a couple of years, so I figured I might as well delete them. So, I found the documents which had the Kind assignment set to either "STEAM_APPS" or "APPS_STEAM". I moved them to the trash and emptied them. What I had not expected, was that upon moving those to the trash and emptying it, my Other folder would then be increased a relatively equal amount. I spent the next few hours downloading different Mac scanning apps and trying various methods to get rid of this/locate those or similar files. I found nothing.

    At this point, I have tried practically every method that Google has recommended to me (other than CleanMyMac because I'm 99% sure that's a virus-type thing), and I felt like I was out of options. So, I decided to turn to people. Attached will be photos containing extra relevant information.

    Extra info: I recently partitioned ~1/4 of my disk drive to a Windows 10 OS through Bootcamp, and I wanted to edit this partition to increase its size. This is why I started to clear out my data today, but my other data increased independently from the partition, and was fine prior to attempting to delete these Steam files. I have also fully deleted Steam and all Steam-related-files, but still the Other data persists.

    If any extra data is needed, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to provide it. Thanks

    https://preview.redd.it/fgemrrfnm7u61.png?width=558&format=png&auto=webp&s=2a8d6f62c5e2f302c51c877c99050c8594e26abe

    https://preview.redd.it/ev2sq6dqm7u61.png?width=253&format=png&auto=webp&s=8d7940fa03d5843c880f4a3df8c73cf50e168e65

    submitted by /u/DonutHurtMyHoney
    [link] [comments]

    Updating My Photo Stream after using it without internet

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 09:52 PM PDT

    The other day I went hiking in an area with no cellular service or data and took many photos of the trip. After arriving back and connecting to service / wi-fi my photos still have not synced to My Photo Stream on my iPhone. It's been two days and all the photos taken after have synced normally but the hiking photos still have not.

    Anyone know a way to fix this or manually sync the photos?

    submitted by /u/musicedmonepiece
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a microphone on this iPhone headset?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 03:51 PM PDT

    Way to check if and what data was transferred from iPhone while plugged in to friends laptop?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 12:03 PM PDT

    Hi!

    At a party and needed some power so I borrowed USB plug sticking out of a friends computer: I clicked no to the "trust" question that popped up on my phone, but my friend later asked for my password to my phone and I would like to know if there is way I can see if and what data was synced to her computer.

    My iCloud backup status (settings - iCloud - iCloud backup) says last backup just around that time, but could that just be because it was connected to power and had wifi, and its a cloud backup not a local? Is there any way to confirm somehow exactly what was transferred if anything by looking through logs or system information?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/kentuckyderby3
    [link] [comments]

    I dont know what to do

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 09:16 PM PDT

    I have an iPad and when I try to turn it on after not using it for the pass 5 months it won't leave the apple logo. It goes to a black screen for a second then back to the logo. It was fine the last time I used it.

    submitted by /u/MusicalGeek2016
    [link] [comments]

    Game saves not showing up on ipad

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 09:12 PM PDT

    iPhone 12 and iPad Air 4 both on latest firmware. The games specifically are FANTASIAN and Word of Demons.

    I have saves on my iPhone for these games but they don't show up on my iPad when opening the game. Checked iCloud settings a million times and searched all over Google, no idea where I'm going wrong.

    An ideas?

    submitted by /u/crackity-jones
    [link] [comments]

    Safari webpages are unresponsive! Same pages in Chrome are fine. M1 MacBook.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 08:52 AM PDT

    From about a day ago, webpages in Safari are freezing and/or taking upwards of 5+ minutes to finish loading (M1 MacBook Pro, Big Sur 11.2.3, Safari 14.0.3). Even this reddit page took close to 6 minutes to load. And then sometimes the page will appear to have loaded but nothing is clickable and the page will not scroll.

    Worth noting, Safari itself is still alive, it's just the website content that's not loading/unresponsive. Other Safari tabs are clickable, the menus are accessible, etc., it's just webpage content. I've installed no new software and changed nothing on the Mac recently.

    Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot:

    • Quit Safari and rebooted the Mac several times.
    • I've loaded the same pages in Chrome to see if it's just my internet connection. Everything loads fast and is completely responsive. So it's not my internet connection or bandwidth or anything like that.
    • I've disabled all of my extensions... I was running three: Ghostery, Choosy, and Cascadea. No difference.
    • I downloaded the Safari Technical Preview to see if anything is resolved by using a bleeding edge version of Safari. Nope. Same exact problem.
    • I've emptied the cache, removed history, and deleted all website data (Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data).
    • Rebooted router and modem (hey, why not?).

    Nothing has helped.

    I'm not running sketchy software or anything like that. The rest of the Mac is running great. It's just Safari webpages.

    I'm open to pretty much any suggestions at this point. Help!

    submitted by /u/trammeloratreasure
    [link] [comments]

    Is my IPad stuck on a boot-loop or a different kind of loop? It will not stop looping these parts and won’t turn on. I’ve tried many methods of recovering and updating but I’m failing.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 08:43 PM PDT

    This is becoming a daily issue. Getting a white slash through my Bluetooth and WiFi buttons, making them unavailable until I turn my phone on/off. This is on a 2 month old iPhone 12 Pro with no damage or drops.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 04:40 PM PDT

    (Photos corrupted?) this is happening to all of my old photos, and there seems to be no way of removing it.

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 08:17 PM PDT

    Issues with iPhone 11

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 08:02 PM PDT

    I purchased a brand new iPhone 11 from the Apple Store in June 2020 (10 months ago). I have been quite unhappy with it pretty much since I got it and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences to me. I will preface this by saying that I did check if I was eligible for screen replacements and other services offered by apply for buggy devices, and unfortunately I am not. I also use Cricket as my provider in case that could have anything to do with it. The phone just seems glitchy and slow in general despite being updated to the latest software.

    The biggest issue with my phone has been the Maps app. I use the navigation every single day and there is a 50/50 chance of it working how it is supposed to. The issue that I face nearly every day is that the map does not update with my location. For example, the directions say "start on (street name)" and do not change once I have started driving and am waiting for the next direction. The arrow follows me with my location but the instructions never update so I am stuck and never know which way I am supposed to go. Restarting the navigation and the phone does not help at all. It just randomly stops working and then will work again later. Again, the GPS is accurate at finding my location, but the directions do not update.

    Second, I have had some issues with the touch screen ever since I got it. When inputting my password, the "2" button often does not respond the first couple times I press it. I have noticed this with the top row of numbers (1 2 3). It is so bad that even my friends have immediately noticed this issue when I lend them my phone.

    The voicemail is also super slow and unresponsive. Upon pressing play for a voicemail, it takes a while to actually respond and play the message. Then while playing the message, it stops every 5 seconds or so and I need to press the play button again in order to keep going. This happens every single time I try to listen to a message and it makes that experience so difficult.

    In addition to those three major issues, I have found that apps will often freeze, glitch, and just completely crash on me while using the phone. I have had several iPhones throughout the years and have always been happy with them (3G, 4, 5C, 6S, 8), but I have had many issues with this one and am very disappointed with my purchase.

    Has anyone else had similar issues with their iPhone 11 and have you found any way to fix it? I am just about ready to jump the ship from Apple just because I have had so many problems with both this phone and my brand new M1 chip MacBook Pro.

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/ConsciousDrink1
    [link] [comments]

    Buying guide MacBook air M1

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 02:03 PM PDT

    Hei,

    Planned to buy MacBook air M1 from market place and seller said it's brand new. Is there a way to check, if the device is new or used?

    submitted by /u/kim_kgb
    [link] [comments]

    Apple TV auto turn on and play

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 08:00 PM PDT

    • my Apple TV connects to my TV via HDMI
    • its speaker source is my HomePod
    • both HomePod and Apple TV select Living Room in Home hub
    • I don't have any automation setting in Home hub

    Recently, the Apple TV will auto turn on by itself and play what I left off last without turning on the TV and this always terrify me. Sometimes in the mid night, sometimes when I just came home and it was playing there in the day time... sometimes evening while I was just sitting in front of the cough and using my mobile...

    I couldn't figure out what setting I have made, can help me?

    submitted by /u/averynkh
    [link] [comments]

    How to populate Get Info and/or the Comments column of "Finder" with an Apps description and category from the App Store?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 07:48 PM PDT

    I often find myself unable to remember the name of an App written to do certain App specific abilities, and I see all these unused and empty fields that could be of great utility, but just not populated.

    It perplexes me as to how one uses MacOs productively, without constantly hunting down info only obtained after many steps past remembering why it needed to be known, like all the apps I have installed and have no way to be able to know which is for what I ever need to do. But, remember was installed for that distinct purpose, that maybe one day will show itself while accidentally gorilla fingering the keyboard?

    submitted by /u/1234567ATEUP
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel