• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 7, 2021

    iPhone As a life long Android user, my next phone is going to be an iPhone. Here's why.

    iPhone As a life long Android user, my next phone is going to be an iPhone. Here's why.


    As a life long Android user, my next phone is going to be an iPhone. Here's why.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 04:10 AM PST

    So I've always loved Android and never really had any problems. That was until recently, when my Huawei Mate 9 bricked, and I "upgraded" to a Samsung S10 Lite. It all started during set up, when I realised I had about 3 different accounts on my old phone, all spiderwebbed into some horrible mess which left me struggling to set up my new phone with everything from my old. In this process Samsung was also forcing their own account down my throat with aggressive vigour, so now I've got one of those too and I've got no idea how it ties in other than complicating things further.

    Past that, it's full of annoying bloatware from Google AND Samsung, all of which is now hidden in a folder because it can't he deleted. Where I loved a Google widget on my Huawei, I now have Bixby with no chance of changing it. If Google was the high achiever in class, Bixby is the kid at the back with glue in his mouth and his trousers on backwards.

    A month into use, my phone needed repairing. Charging and fast charging was inconsistent, and occasionally it wouldn't detect anything in the port at all. When I had it repaired (which was a joyous experience to be fair, they came to MY house and repaired under warranty) he said he found nothing wrong with it, but replaced the port anyway, which fixed the problem. I've since (about 4 mi this later) started to see the odd charging issue again. Watch this space. Wireless charging was not something I ever thought about until my port died. The fact all iPhones have our whilst it remains a premium feature on Android speaks volumes.

    With this experience now, Android feels messy. If you change manufacturer, it's a totally different experience. Samsung has a lot of niggles I'm not used to. The in screen fingerprint scanner is a total step back from the dedicated scanner on the Mate 9. It's slow and unreliable, I've had to set my thumb as all three available fingerprints, and occasionally it'll still fail 5 times and lock me out.

    The camera is somehow slow. Sometimes it'll snap the shot as soon as you hit the button, other times it'll hesitate for a second, take the photo, and somehow blur it at the same time. The camera also seems complicated. Somehow it's not point and shoot. There's too many options and all of them are unreliable. When I take a photo, I spam the button as much as possible, knowing full well that out of 10 photos, I might be lucky if I get 2 or 3 that come out well.

    The speakers aren't stereo. Didn't think it was a big issue at this price point until I started looking at iPhones, my wifes in particular. She has an XS Max (I think it's called) and the speakers blow mine out the water. That's a 2 year old phone which now sells for a similar price as mine.

    Android is generally messy from phone to phone. Things that shouldn't change do. In the gallery now, when I open a video or plays muted, then it has two buttons, one muted speaker icon and one saying "watch video". They both so the same thing, unmute the video. Why?

    On the face of it, my phone should blow my wife's out the water. Processor, RAM, camera, battery. Everything LOOKS better on a spec sheet for my phone. But everything WORKS better only my wifes phone. That's because nothing on mine is primarily built for my phone. It's all forced into place, just like the apps. Android apps are compatible with thousands of phones. Jack of all trades, master of none. But Apple apps are so perfectly refined, that the phone still performs better with "lower specs". Android phones have to compensate as it feels like they're trying to force square blocks into round holes. Apps also crash for no reason far more than they should. When I click an Amazon link in Googlevfor example, it will try open the app. It will crash the app, and Google. Good right?

    All said and done, I unfortunately have 18 months left on my contract, which is horrifying, to realise I'm stuck with this phone for that long. I'm watching iPhone videos every day knowing I've made the wrong choice, and I can't wait to see what I get in the future. The SE 2020 seems perfect for me, and perhaps when it comes to getting my next contract there will be another SE out. Either way, I can't wait. Counting the days till I can move onto Iphone.

    EDIT: I've found someone in my area possibly wanting to swap their brand new iPhone SE 2020 for my Samsung S10 Lite. I'm so excited!

    submitted by /u/QuantumButtFuckery
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone has the ability to do this, neat

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 04:16 PM PST

    Thought these looked pretty nice

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 04:14 PM PST

    Apple's iPhone 12 costs 21% more to make than iPhone 11, claims new research

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 08:39 AM PST

    Can someone help me out here?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:32 AM PST

    iOS is unreliable and the Apple ecosystem is bad

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 04:26 AM PST

    I have never hated Apple so much in my life and I want to share my experience. #rant

    Tuesday night my iPhone XS Max was working fine. Yesterday morning I woke up, I opened WhatsApp and it complained that it was running out of storage.
    That's strange, I checked my storage last week and it was only half full of 256GB. I opened Settings to go and check the storage and the App was crashing.
    I tried twice and had the same problem. In the meantime, no messages from iOS saying that I was running low on storage. I doubt that in 1 night I downloaded somehow more than 100GB.
    I made the mistake of restarting the phone and I ended in a boot loop (or Apple logo loop). No way of exiting it.
    I had to put the phone in restore mode and tried the reinstallation of iOS (Update option) from a PC using iTunes but it was getting stuck on Error 14.
    I started my journey in contacting Apple support via chat. First I stayed online with an advisor 2 hours just to repeat myself over and over again with the steps I already tried.
    Finally she understood that she had to pass the case to a Senior Advisor that, after reading the entire chat for almost 30 minutes, only booked a phone call for me.
    I was called just to be put on hold. Finally they picked up the phone and the advisor wanted to hear everything again from me, even if I was told by the previous advisor that he was going to leave all the notes and the person calling me would have been up to date.
    His only solution: send it for repair. Unfortunately we are in lockdown and Apple Stores are closed so the only way would be to send it via mail to an Authorised reseller.
    While on the phone, he also sent me the link via email:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211981
    where it clearly states:

    If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch was running iOS 13 and was low on storage before you tried to update, you may experience one of these things:

    Published Date: December 16, 2020

    I already explained many times that my phone was on iOS 14.3 and the Update I was doing from iTunes was then from iOS 14.3 to iOS 14.3.
    The advisor said that it shouldn't matter on the iOS version so I complained that whoever reviewed that documentation page left intentionally iOS 13.
    Given that the call was inconclusive, I ended the conversation. He even asked if I was happy with the Apple support received. Funny.

    In the meantime I checked icloud.com to understand when was the last backup that the phone did to iCloud.
    "Yesterday at 12:54 AM", meaning that I had to lose more than 24H of data.

    I decided to try again to reinstall iOS (Update option) but using a macOS Catalina instead.
    I let it download iOS and then I paid extreme attention to click "Update" and not "Restore", as I didn't want to lose any data.
    I saw the progress bar on the phone going on and I was very happy until on macOS I read "Your iPhone has been restored to Factory Settings".
    WTF! Why did you do that?! I'm even using a product from the Apple ecosystem! I was very upset as I lost all the data

    I decided to try the restore from iCloud. Guess what? The last backup available was from Monday at around 16:30. Why then was icloud.com showing me something different?! Even their systems are not reliable!
    I'm paying £2.99 per month to have a reliable backup and now I have to lose 2 days of data. We are in a lockdown and I'm always at home, meaning that the phone is always on WiFi, most of the time with battery >50% and the screen is locked when not used.
    Why wasn't iOS backing it up to iCloud?

    It tooks hours to restore from that backup and of course the Storage utilization shows that I'm not even at 50% of storage capacity.

    My takeaways are:
    1) The documentation is unreliable, saying that Error 14 was related only to iOS 13, or the advisor was lying
    2) iOS can't be considered a reliable operating system if it can't run when low on storage. Shouldn't it reserve some storage just to run properly and let users delete stuff?
    From my experience with Android, you can't save anything else but Android still runs.
    I had exactly the same problem with my brother's iPhone when it stopped booting and ended with the same problem.
    3) Apple support is incompetent at so many levels. They should get better training and they should have some tools to let users unlock iPhones in these situations.
    I just needed to either get access to iOS to delete some stuff or connect the iPhone to a PC and access its storage so I could move some photos/videos.
    It's not rocket science.
    4) macOS gives misleading information and erased everything without my consent
    5) Information on icloud.com is not reliable

    And (almost) all of this happened on an Apple ecosystem!

    submitted by /u/blasterspike
    [link] [comments]

    After popular request: How much free space is left in your iPhone? v2.0

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 03:03 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel