• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 10, 2021

    Apple Macbook Upgraded from my trusty late-2011 MacBook Pro to a 2020 M1 MacBook Air and am absolutely in love

    Apple Macbook Upgraded from my trusty late-2011 MacBook Pro to a 2020 M1 MacBook Air and am absolutely in love


    Upgraded from my trusty late-2011 MacBook Pro to a 2020 M1 MacBook Air and am absolutely in love

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 10:38 AM PST

    Adding ultrawide to my current setup

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:18 AM PST

    Noisy left speaker w/ High Frequencies MBA M1

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 11:07 PM PST

    Hi guys, anyone has experienced issues with the sound at full volume with the new M1 Macs? I saw on a thread it seems to be something with Big Sur, but I'm just confused if it is an SW or HW issue.

    Regards

    submitted by /u/estape11
    [link] [comments]

    Trackerpad and keyboard unresponsive

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 10:52 PM PST

    Hi! I'm new to MacBooks and I got this one recently! I bought it off of Facebook marketplace refurbished and I have recently noticed an issue with my computer. My trackerpad and keyboard become unresponsive very often and I don't know the source of the problem. It's a very annoying issue. Any fixes or price range for getting it fixed? It's a 2015 macbook pro with the big sur update if this infos needed

    submitted by /u/ars3nic_Catnip
    [link] [comments]

    Sims 4 and M1 MBP ISSUES!

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 03:18 PM PST

    I had sims 4 open for about 15 minutes and suddenly my whole laptop just froze. Nothing would work, I couldn't get to force quit. I was Googling things to try instead of just force shutting it down, anyway the screen suddenly went black and it took me to the Lock Screen and made me type in my password as though it has just restarted (not allowing Touch ID).

    Anyway, It is not froze now. It came up with "origin is not installed, and is required to play your game. Please reinstall origin" ... "we're sorry about error had occurred" and the crash report.

    But I could literally see origin on my dock so I clicked it. It opened three logos in my dock (weird?) anyway, it opened up to log in so it was there...

    I click play sims after logging in and every time sims opened it crashed within a minute....

    I have now turned my Mac on and off and it's not crashed this time round and we are 3 minutes in, it's still working but why did this happen? I have the up to date origin and sims ... this didn't happen on my 2016 MBP :(

    I've only just downloaded origin a few weeks ago and this is the first time I'm playing sims on here tonight after updating it the other day FYI

    I'm also having to turn my laptop on and off every time I want to connect my bluetooth earphones yay

    Overall I still like the M1 though ha

    submitted by /u/dustylemonxo
    [link] [comments]

    Water spill. Still works. Can I use keyboard replacement program incase?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 10:33 PM PST

    Hello,

    Ok I just got this laptop not long ago so this sucks

    I spilt a little water with a little juice on my right speaker grill of my MacBook 2019 15 inch Touch Bar. It kept working fine but I turned it off and it's upside down now. The speaker seemed to work ok before I turned it off. The liquid kind of sat on top and most was on the palm rest. I wiped everything away.

    I think it will turn on hopefully but I don't know if there will be future damage or speaker degrade.

    I know Apple has a keyboard replacement program so I was wondering if I could use that since everything is glued together I'd get a new top set so I think they would give me new speaker battery etc... ?

    Should I also not wait till it ever stops working so they don't think I fried it and used the keyboard replacement program to not pay expensive repair fees?

    Not sure what's under the speaker either ?

    submitted by /u/xccza7q6123
    [link] [comments]

    Internet Recovery for Macbook Air (2014) not working

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 10:10 PM PST

    I've wiped my old Macbook Air (2014 model) and am trying to reinstall the OS. I've tried opening with a bunch of different commands, and the furthest I've gotten is the 'Internet Recovery This may take a while page', which then stops and brings me back to the wifi selection page. From there I can't do anything at all. It just shows a globe with my wifi.

    If I turn it on without any commands, it just flashes with a question mark.

    I would really appreciate some help, my city is in lockdown and I don't think I can get to an Apple store, and when I tried to do the online chat it said it needs my serial number, which I can't access without turning on the computer.

    submitted by /u/socio_imogen
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Air M1 heating while streaming

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 09:20 PM PST

    Hi All,

    I'm using Streamlabs /OBS to stream games from my elgato. I'm noticing that my CPU temps go to 85-90c for like first hour then kinda lower down to 75-ish. I'm planning to do pretty long streams. I don't know if it's a wise idea to use this MacBook. Are these temps safe? Or not

    submitted by /u/hjam91
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet Issues MacBook Air M1

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 05:02 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    Sometimes I use my Macbook connected to a hub that includes an Ethernet adapter. The thing is that since this afternoon, something weird happened that, when I'm using internet with Ethernet, it suddenly stops working. If I reboot, it works for some minutes and then stops again. And if I remove the cable it works at the moment via WiFi.

    It's very weird because these past 2 days I've been using it with 0 issues, do you know if this is some kind of bug or anyone else have the same problem? I've seen a post reporting something like that from a month ago, but his solution was to change the hub, which doesn't make so much sense for me.

    I'm in Mac OS 11.1and the hub is from Aukey, and I know for a fact that is not a problem of the cable since I tried it in a Windows PC with 0 issues.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Maikel92
    [link] [comments]

    M1 MBAs are able to run off 18w power banks that supports power delivery

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:38 AM PST

    For general web browsing, word processing and video streams. 18W is more than enough to power AND charge the M1 MBA at 70% screen brightness. It is only when the brightness is pushed to the max that the battery stops charging but its still enough to run it off entirely off a power bank.

    Having a 10000mah power bank effectively doubles my usage time off the wall.

    This. Is. Insanity.

    submitted by /u/lenmalice
    [link] [comments]

    HELP. How do I fully reformat/reset a mid-2012 MacBook Pro on High Sierra?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:26 PM PST

    HELP. How do I fully reformat/reset a mid-2012 MacBook Pro on High Sierra?

    The only thing I care about is retaining the High Sierra OS, everything else can go lol.

    How do I fully reformat this MacBook and ensure that I remain in the same OS?

    For the record it's a 9-year-old hand me down Mac from my brother so I don't have any reformat assistance tools like a format disc or whatever

    submitted by /u/packersSB55champs
    [link] [comments]

    External hard drive not being recognized

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:41 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I have a late 2013 15" MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.1 that has been having trouble recognizing my external hard drive (Western Digital 4TB) for a while now. I'm running Big Sur 11.1 now but the problem also persisted on 11.0. The external hard drive does not show up in Finder or Disk Utility.

    During previous instances of the problem, in order to get the computer to recognize the drive I had to plug the drive in and restart the computer with the drive plugged in. The computer would recognize the drive after startup. If the computer was already on and I plugged in the drive, it would not recognize the drive. I have no issues plugging in other peripheral devices or drives; those are immediately recognized. The drive in question is immediately recognized when plugged into a different MBP. Unfortunately, this drive hosts all of my camera RAW files as well as my Time Machine backup.

    Any pointers on what to do? Searching on forums hasn't really yielded much in terms of the exact same issue, but I could be searching wrong. What other diagnostics can I do?

    submitted by /u/ReV46
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from windows to Mac possibly, looking for advice

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:40 PM PST

    So I have been a windows user all my life. But lately I've gotten really bored with windows (still have a deep hatred for outlook, MSN, hotmail, whatever name change windows has done over the years) and am looking possibly at going to Mac.

    I've used a lot of apple products over the years from iPads, iPhones, AirPods and a 2016 MacBook Pro which I hated cause of the overheating it would do when doing the basic of tasks.

    Heard good things about the new M1 chips and the new keyboard. Any possible advice to give? I use my laptop for watching videos through YouTube, Netflix, etc, web surfing, listening to music through Spotify and writing documents, nothing major.

    submitted by /u/rjf123192
    [link] [comments]

    Software Dev: 16'' i9 32GB RAM vs. 13'' M1 16GB RAM

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:53 PM PST

    Student in the software/CS field here. I want a powerful computer, but my budget is about $3k CAD (price of M1) and the 16'' costs $5k. Is it worth going all out with the 16'' MBP?

    I'm going to be using it exclusively for software development. I will be running Android Studio, emulators, and C++ programs. My 2017 MB Air did a decent job handling it at first, but it's becoming slow.

    I also have a habit of opening 50 tabs at a time when working intensely and not closing my applications, it helps my workflow.

    I'm a student, so portability and battery life sorta matters. Not immensely though, but after the pandemic I know it will bother me if my laptop dies in class or if I can't fit it inside my bag. I'm debating whether the 32GB RAM makes a difference compared with the 16GB + M1 chip, and whether the screen size difference is that big of a deal.

    Which one should I get for my needs?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/imstillmb
    [link] [comments]

    We Tried Playing Cyberpunk 2077 on a Macbook!

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 01:32 PM PST

    Update

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 12:30 PM PST

    Does anyone else have a problem with saying there isn't enough room to update?? I deleted pretty much everything I could off my Mac and I still have no room to download the update

    submitted by /u/littleamy12
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about AppleCare

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 10:54 AM PST

    Can I purchase the Macbook AppleCare before the one year warranty runs out? Like if I purchase it on the 11th month, does the warranty will continue for another 3 years? I cannot understand this although I've searched on google.

    Does it really worth it because the price is a burden for student?

    submitted by /u/ForeverSadGurl99
    [link] [comments]

    Wide shoulders, bigger laptop?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 10:28 AM PST

    Kind of a funny question here. I have a 13" Air, and because I'm a bigger guy, my wrists get into an uncomfortable position to use the keyboard.

    Would a 16" improve the ergonomics for me? I believe the actual keyboard width of 13" and 16" are the same though. WDYT?

    submitted by /u/jko1701284
    [link] [comments]

    Can expect linux native on M1?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 12:52 PM PST

    I was just curious to know if the native linux support on the M1 Macs can be expected soon. I know that we can run it using Parallels but I prefer bootcamp rather than virtualization.

    submitted by /u/yash0_o
    [link] [comments]

    Am I SCREWed?! Tried to replace macbook battery myself but screwdrivers delivered with the battery did not fit well.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:36 AM PST

    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

    All the Apple Stores around me are closed and my Macbook Pro battery is > 1000 cycles and what looks like at 50% capacity. It does seem to die much faster than that.

    Ordered this replacement battery from Amazon to do it myself:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084V345SF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    However the screwdriver just didnt fit the fine screws that hold the battery in. I am afraid I have done more damage than good by hollowing the screws out to a point where i may be really hard to get them out at all - even with good equipment.

    Any advice you guys have? I am knowledge worker and really reliant on my laptop.

    Any tips on where to go from here will help.

    Ideally I would be able to

    - a/ see how to get better equipment to get the screws out - or any other trick

    - b/ order some replacement screws

    - c/ order another battery pack

    submitted by /u/winabi6056
    [link] [comments]

    should i buy a case for my mbp?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 07:16 AM PST

    as the title suggest im judging should i buy a case for my mac but im also planning to use a dbrand skin on my mac as well

    and also if anyone could explain why are people saying that cases damages the hinge and scratch the mac itself then that would be really great

    any help would be great

    EDIT: idiot me forgot to mention im also buying a sleeve for it, excessive? yes just that im very paranoid about my 2k laptop having a ding on the corners

    submitted by /u/cheesydoritoschips
    [link] [comments]

    Best case for M1 Air (passive) cooling

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 10:48 AM PST

    What is the best case for Air M1? It would be great if someone could compare temperatures with different Macbook cases, I haven't found any such comparison.

    submitted by /u/lutel
    [link] [comments]

    New M1 MBA some pros, cons

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 06:48 AM PST

    My M1 MacBook Air (base model) just came in, and I noticed a number of things that YouTube reviewers and such do not talk about that are potentially important factors to consider when deciding whether to purchase a M1 MBA.

    Good things:

    • Lots of reviewers talk about how much better the magic keyboard is than the scissor switch keyboard, but I didn't hear detail on why. In my opinion, the keys feel more precise (less wobbly), the key caps themselves feel thicker, both result in the keys feeling sturdier and I am more confident of when I have pressed a key versus when I did not fully press it. Compared to other laptop keyboards, this keyboard still has very shallow key travel which is a consequence of the laptop having a thinner profile, but the improvements they've made to the feeling of the mechanism as the key is depressed and reducing keycap wobble allow me to type much more confidently and faster than on my 2017 scissor switch MBP.

    • There is a new fn key (at least I do not have one on my 2017 or 2018 MPB), and while I think this might throw some users off who are used to the ctrl key being there, I find it very useful for quick toggling language input.

    • You can actually buy this laptop. My MBA order took about 3 weeks to come in. Compare this to the top rated Windows laptops, many of which are OOS or not even listed sometimes. System76 has a very long lead time in many of their models too, so I think the Apple experience here is a positive.

    Disappointments:

    • There's a lot of hype about the snappiness of the M1 chip and how applications are fast or instant. I definitely don't experience this: some native applications like Mail routinely take about 10 seconds or so to close while some Rosetta 2 applications have taken longer than 30 seconds so I have just force quit them (not necessarily a Rosetta 2 issue, this could have happened on native Intel too, I can't remember). Additionally, some Rosetta 2 applications will just hang, and I'll have to click around inside of their windows for about 5 seconds or so before they respond. If I were to compare this to the 2017 Intel MBP that I replaced, it is unquestionably faster, but it certainly isn't life changing, and it certainly did not "render all other processors obsolete" or anything like that.

    • Battery life hype is another one that I am not sure how to feel about. I have had this device for less than 24hrs. Screen on time while on battery has been about 3.5hrs and I've used about 40% battery. While this is better than my 2017 Intel MPB, this projection means I won't get multiple days of charge contrary to claims.

    • Big Sur is still rough around the edges compared to Catalina. Many new features are for applications that I don't use, so maybe I am the wrong audience. The added privacy features in safari are nice, but I still find that the browser falls short in ad blocking and privacy control configuration compared to Firefox and Brave. The prospect of installing iOS apps is exciting, but extremely limited in official support. I believe the workaround is the same as Catalina, so this is a feature that will become relevant later but IMO is not yet realized. Control Center is a largely uncustomizable change in user workflow that was forced upon users in this update...if you like it you like it, but if you don't you have no choice.

    Bad things:

    • Wifi is absolutely terrible. I experience frequent Wifi drops (once every 20-30 mins). I have made no changes to my network, my work 2018 MBP still connects fine, as do my Windows and Ubuntu devices so this is a problem with the M1 MBA. I'm still trying to see if I can do anything on my end, but as you can imagine a device that cannot stay connected to the home network is pretty much useless.

    Conclusion:

    I'm not sure if this helps anyone out there, hopefully this helps in your decision making. Aside from the Wifi issue which is truly a breaking issue, and (in my opinion) over hyped claims about speed and battery performance, the MBA is still a great choice at this price point and availability.

    submitted by /u/icanticle-storm442
    [link] [comments]

    If I have a small size macbook air 13" and bunch of menubar mac apps, how can I view the mac menu bar icons if the active app options are overlapping them?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 09:05 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel