• Breaking News

    Friday, October 16, 2020

    Apple Macbook My 2017 MacBook Air seems slower

    Apple Macbook My 2017 MacBook Air seems slower


    My 2017 MacBook Air seems slower

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 08:54 AM PDT

    Hi, I have 2017 MacBook Air with basic setup (i5, 8gb, 128 ssd). I bought it 2 years ago and back then is was very fast for me, unfortunately recently I have observed a mediocre slow down. For ex while browsing the Reddit, scrolling isn't so fast, it lags sometimes on FB page, when I have teleconference turned on and I try to open websites it sometimes lasts longer. Is my MacBook idk rubbished or something? The battery is great, overall condition also but something is wrong with the speed of Mac. I have latest macOS and no generally additional apps. I use safari.

    submitted by /u/Nirteh
    [link] [comments]

    Time for a new machine? Apple silicon or bust?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    So right now I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad T450 as my main computer (bought used), and while it's snappy enough for most things (chrome tabs, word, some zoom, etc), I've had some problems with it.

    There are some serious issues with it:

    -My webcam died, but I bought a logitech 720p external camera for zoom calls and class.

    -Apparently Lenovo's webcams aren't compatible with the exam proctor programs my school uses (I went to the college IT department- they didn't know what to do and just lent me a 2015 retina macbook 13 inch for the test day).

    -I got the blue "windows failed screen" twice this year or so, and in one of these I lost a whole essay I spent all night writing (had to retype it from a printed draft bc word file was corrupted)

    Some minor issues:

    - My lenovo has a (albeit a decent resolution) a very dim TN panel that sorta tires my eyes out

    - I have an ipad air 3 and iphone X, which would mesh well with a mac ecosystem.

    -I like playing league of legends just to unwind sometimes, but my lenovo freezes quite a bit when I do

    - While I want to start to learn how to make and edit videos, my lenovo got very hot and froze up when I used Davinci Resolve and Shotcut

    -My battery lasts about 3 hours running word, which isn't the end of the world, but this is halved when I start using zoom.

    - It's heavy and bulky, and just using a 2015 macbook retina 13inch that was loaned to me made me want to switch (I also like MacOS more).

    Overall, while my trusty thinkpad has served me well (and will continue to sorta-work for the near future), I thought switching would be a better experience, and would be more efficient.

    I have two jobs, and I've saved up about 1.5k for a laptop (and my dad said that he would help me out with about 500), but I just don't know if I'm spending on luxury and being a spoiled kid by leaping and buying a shiny new thing when my old thing still works.

    I had my eyes set on the 512gb macbook pro 13 or the base 4-port macbook pro (I find 256gb just too small :/) and was on the lookout for a deal, but then the news about the silicon macbook(s) coming out this year and thought maybe I should wait (the intel chips are plenty fast for me, but I do care about the battery life and thermal performance a lot). Do you think I'm justified in switching? and do you think I should wait for the new silicon macbook(s)?

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Brokolee99
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy the Macbook Air then trade in for Macbook Pro?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    I own a non-Apple laptop and have been considering to change to an Apple laptop. My non-Apple laptop crashes and is not ideal for virtual learning (especially with Zoom). I saw that Macbook Pro doesn't heat up as fast the Air. Thing is, I don't have $1199 to spend and I never owned a Macbook. Would I be able to save money if I bought the Air first (to try it out) then trade it for the Pro? If so, how long do I have to wait until I can trade the Air for Pro?

    submitted by /u/thesaintrenegade
    [link] [comments]

    Does a monitor allow upscaled resolutions?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 03:19 AM PDT

    I have a 2017 macbook air, and it has a 1440 by 900 screen resolution. If I bought a 1080p monitor and plugged it into my macbook, would the monitor display 1080p or the macbooks 1440 by 900 resolution?

    submitted by /u/SwiftSparrrow
    [link] [comments]

    Choppy scroliing on Macbook Pro 2020 13" 10th gen.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 08:23 AM PDT

    So I Just purchased MacBook Pro 13" 2020 i5th 10 gen, and I fill like there it doesn't get you 60fps when scrolling, opening dialog boxes. it happens in all apps.

    System-wise it's kinda fine, e.g. there is no spikes in CPU graph, etc. but it just driving me crazy, and giving real headaches. I thought maybe it's something wrong with my eyes initially but then found other reports of this issue.

    Does updating Catalina help? Or should I try downgrading? What else can be done to make it smooth?

    Is there a test to confirm that issue?

    Should I try to exchange to another model?

    submitted by /u/tnxforplaying
    [link] [comments]

    Am I having hardware issues? Fixed after turning off GPU acceleration.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    Question between i3 and i5 Macbook Air 2017 vs 2020.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 04:45 PM PDT

    I was wondering if there is a downgrade in performance if I get a new Macbook Air. The current Macbook Air is 2017 with 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz, with 3MB shared L3 cache. The one I am looking at is Macbook Air 2020 with 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz, with 4MB L3 cache. The main use is web browsing and using Windows Remote Desktop for work. I am getting the newer one for the Retina screen, but don't want to downgrade performance.

    submitted by /u/rckbgy
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know what this is? I can't wipe it off. It's only visible when I direct a flash light on it

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    2020 13" MacBook Pro (A2289) Keycap-Replacement

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    Hi there,

    I spilled a drink on 13" MBP (A2289) and now I need to clean the sticky keys. I tried it with Isopropanol without removing the caps, but that didn't work on the long time - without using the keys, they get sticky again within a few hours.

    Is there a detailed instruction on how to remove the keycaps on the 2020MBPs? I also have an 2012 MBP which uses the same keymechanism (magic keyboad), but the Keys seem to be applied in another way, so I can't "train" the removal on that MBP.

    Thanks in advantage!

    submitted by /u/DerMugar
    [link] [comments]

    Spilled milk on mac keyboard

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 01:33 PM PDT

    Okay, I'm stupid enough. Spilled pretty much milk on my school's 2,5-year old MacBook Pro like 10 minutes ago. Turned it upside down and turned it off immediately and dried everything with paper towels but I'm sure some of the milk got in. Do I need to take off the keyboard and clean it right now or do I need to wait for it to dry? It's turned over right now.

    I'm super scared that I'll have to pay a lot of money to the school this Mac belongs, and I don't know wtf I'm supposed to do now. I think the warranty is almost over, can I take it to regular service center?

    submitted by /u/Bulky_Ad651
    [link] [comments]

    I have 2018 MBP 2.9GHz i9 6-core -- is a new machine at 2.3GHz i9 8-core a downgrade?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    Battery is swollen and takes too long to have it repaired so I'm considering a new machine so I'm not without work for two weeks.

    I use it for heavy graphics, photoshop and 3D rendering and want to make sure I'm not losing performance by making this change. Is Radeon Pro Vega better than Radeon Pro 5600?

    Current:

    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
    32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

    Possible New:

    MacBook Pro (16-inch)
    2.3GHz 8‑core Intel Core i9 || 2.4GHz 8-core
    64GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
    AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB of HBM2 memory

    submitted by /u/sllkevin
    [link] [comments]

    New Macbook Pro has a black screen?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    I started up my macbook pro which I just got about half an hour ago. I started it up, connected to wifi, created a new Apple ID, and now a black screen. Nothing happened for about 10 minutes. I turned it off and on and it said if I wanted voiceover in English I need to click enter which I did, then it said something else about voiceover (I forgot what exactly it said). It's still black. Is this normal? What should I do?

    submitted by /u/Rolantis
    [link] [comments]

    Preventing thermal throttling in MacBook Pro 2019 16" i9-9880H ?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 12:37 PM PDT

    Macbook Pro intel or silicon?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    I just ordered a brand new MacBook Pro 2020. I was surfing when I started seeing news and videos on how people should wait for silicon. Have I really messed up by buying the current MacBook Pro 2020? Will the existence of apple silicon effect me in any way? (As in with the information of how iPhones are known to slow down when new ones come, do you guys think my MacBook Pro will immediately show lags once the silicon based Macs show up?

    submitted by /u/raymonadi
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro vs air 2020

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    I stand between choice of MacBook Pro 13 2020 i5 8th gen, RAM 8gb, 512gbssd Or MacBook Air 13 2020 i5 10th gen, RAM 16gb, 512ssd

    Price is same

    submitted by /u/mentaldisorder13
    [link] [comments]

    Refurbished MacBook for $1000

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 05:16 AM PDT

    What would be the best option for a student looking to do light work and drawing on a MacBook, with the price range of around $1000. I have looked everywhere and have tried out two different Macs but one was stuck in a previous OS while the other struggled with 1.6GHZ i5. I am looking for a refurbished Mac but any suggestion would be greatly appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/piblaze
    [link] [comments]

    Specs, good or terrible?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    I bought a refurbished 2019 MacBook for $1000, and it has the following specs:

    • Retina, 13 inch
    • 1.6 GHz Dual Core i5
    • 8gb Ram

    Are these specs ok for light school work plus drawing?

    submitted by /u/piblaze
    [link] [comments]

    Hi everyone! Would a MBA i5 2020 enough for me?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 08:39 AM PDT

    I would use it for university tasks. I study business informatics engineering. We do some coding but nothing intensive. I really like statistics and data handling so probably going to study it for master degeree but I don't think I would need a powerhouse for that. Sometimes I have online classes but we use webex not zoom and we don't use cams or mics. I would like to keep it for 5 years or so.

    I'm honestly worried about the heating and fan noise stuff that going around the internet. I would appreciate some experience with this laptop if you have similar activites.

    The problem with the pro model is that I hate the touchbar. The other problem is that apple product are really expensive, since we have 27% taxes, so the i5/8/256 costs 1450$ with taxes, the pro one is 1740$. (Converted from HUF). I woudl buy it with sutdent discount (6%) and a free airpods wich I would sell.

    I'm already in the apple ecosystem. Using an iphone, airpods and icloud for university stuff and I LOVE IT. But I feel like apple is kind of weird now, not really rocking the business, which makes me dissapointed.

    But does the mac worth it? Will it be ok? Or should I just go for a windows laptop?

    I welcome any suggestions, comments.

    Have a nice weekend!!!

    submitted by /u/tthjns0
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a new inverter, or lcd?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 07:58 AM PDT

    I was given a 'broken' Macbook Air A1466. Under the terms that if I can fix it I can keep it.

    This notebook was abandoned because the screen does not work. After some time playing with the device and struggling to get it to netinstall the lastest MacOs I can describe the issue as follows:

    The screen does work, in full color, however every few seconds the screen goes black. The time it stays black is random, it could be a few seconds or hours.

    After some time warming up, the screen will go black and return at regular intervals, usually 5s 10s, 5s, 10s. I have noticed that the keyboard input will not appear in a focuses textbox when the screen is black.

    This means when connecting to wifi in the macos recovery image I cannot type the wifi password unless the screen is awake.

    I have had trouble finding definitive forum posts on the issue as most results come up for 'screen flicker' and describes a seemingly different issue.

    This display dimming occurs even on the bootloader screens such as when the apple logo is displayed.

    I dont want to spend money on a replacement lcd panel or inverter and still have the issue. Could the motherboard be bad and not the display?

    submitted by /u/mikeymop
    [link] [comments]

    Is a 2015 12 inch MacBook still worth it in 2020?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 04:00 AM PDT

    Hey guys! I've just started grad school and I'm in need of a new laptop. The keyboard on mine is dying. I could buy a secondhand 12 inch MacBook from early 2015 for 500€, which seems like a decent deal to me if it's still in tip-top shape. But I've heard bad things about he keyboard, which is the exact thing making my current laptop unusable. Do you guys think it's worth it? Would it be wiser for me to get a 2016 MacBook Air (13", same price) instead? My top priorities are longevity and the keyboard being usable. I'll be using it for school, so taking notes, sending emails, doing research, as well as Netflix, YouTube, and running the Sims 4. Nothing very strenuous. I'm a student, so if I'm going to drop hundreds on a used laptop, I want to be sure I'll be able to keep it for awhile :')

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/Siebzhen
    [link] [comments]

    Is this heating unit too close to my macbook? ��

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    People are still buying this macbook and why i think its the worst in 2020

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    Just listen to why and leave a comment on why you think the macbook is the worst buy in 2020

    https://youtu.be/Jjb-a1mY6yY

    submitted by /u/maxkingtv
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with WIFI Network on my MBP 16"

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 01:25 AM PDT

    HELP! For the longest time, I'm having problems with my WIFI connectivity. I keep on dropping my connection (as seen on ping via terminal or dropping the connection while on work Zoom).

    I have tried all suggestions online already including 2 discussions with Apple support that included flashing my NVRAM, deleting and re-adding WIFI network from Network connections.

    Just today, I observed that when I connected to only 1 Bluetooth device, WIFI network hasn't dropped YET.

    - Mouse (Logitech MX Master 3) = NO Drop

    - Mouse + AirPods = Intermittent WIFI

    - Mouse + Bluetooth speaker = Intermittent WIFI

    The issue happens either connecting to 2.4G or 5G WIFI. I suppose this behavior is not what's intended. In my opinion, I should be able to use multiple Bluetooth devices (keyboard, mouse, AirPods) at the same time without affecting my WIFI network!!!

    Would like to hear anyone who has encountered this same issue. More eager to know if someone has a fix on this. I don't suppose this is a network adapter (hardware) issue? Thanks in advance for any inputs.

    submitted by /u/padsdotph
    [link] [comments]

    iMessage syncing issue

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 01:14 AM PDT

    I am a longtime mac user and decided to upgrade to the 2020 MBP. I synced all my messages from icloud to my new MBP. I can see all of the texts on my new MBP but I can't see any of the images that either party sent. Is there a way to fix this?

    submitted by /u/randompi3
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel