• Breaking News

    Monday, August 3, 2020

    macOS A pair of attempts on blender icon for big sur, (if you like, .icns files in the comment below)

    macOS A pair of attempts on blender icon for big sur, (if you like, .icns files in the comment below)


    A pair of attempts on blender icon for big sur, (if you like, .icns files in the comment below)

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 05:08 AM PDT

    Why does Safari open so slow?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    MacBook Pro 13, 2017. MacOS Mojave. 210gb.

    About 33 gb free space out of 175 (other 35 out of 200 gb is used for BootCamp).

    Why is it like that? I use CleanMyMac X sometimes, maybe because of it? (I heard it's not very good).

    https://reddit.com/link/i2r19l/video/a9dedd2fype51/player

    submitted by /u/whoodattboii
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] MacBook Pro 16, won't start up without kernel panic unless a USB is plugged in

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 12:00 AM PDT

    Hi there,

    Thanks a lot in advanced!

    I haven't had a MacBook Pro after 2014, and this time got one from work. However, upon receiving the machine for 3 hours, after I used a USB-C dongle to read USB flash drive, the issue started.

    Every time I try to boot up, once I reach the login menu, within 10 seconds, the screen will freeze, and touchpad/keyboard won't respond anymore. Then, the fan will burst up, and reboot. Then it says something failed. After quite a lot reboot, I will be able to log in, and then find Panic Medic Boot message, and details shown as:

    panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f87f2f970): "DSB0(MacBookPro16,1): thunderbolt power on failed 0xffffffff\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IOPCIFamily/IOPCIFamily-370.0.2/IOPCIBridge.cpp:1396 Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address 

    And the system comes with 10.15.6. I have tried:

    1. Reset SMC
    2. Reset VMRAM/PRAM
    3. Reinstall MacOS
    4. Rebuild kernel from .kext
    5. Remove any 3rd party kext (nothing found)
    6. Boot into the recovery and touch on the kernel to force it to rebuild
    7. Disabled power nap, and high graphic performance only
    8. Disabled ThunderBolt 3 data transfer under Network settings

    However, issue persists. Then, I found it quite hilarious by the IT guy, to keep a USB dongle or anything (Other than power charging), the system will boot up without a panic. Yet, the moment I unplug the USB dongle post login, chances the system will fail again, or, somehow stays for a bit longer.

    I have reached out to Apple and they kept saying there might be 3rd party driver, and I am sure they read from the error message only. But I can't buy in their words.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/eidbdz/16_mbp_catalina_crash_every_day_when_going_or/

    Similar issue was found. But I don't know what is going on, and here are my questions:

    1. Seems like it is a T2 chip issue. Is it possible to enforce to rebuilt the BridgeOS, or totally reset the firmware?
    2. If you are on Big Sur, was this issue resolved?
    3. What are the chances the hardware is faulty?
    4. Any other thoughts and something to try out?
    5. Anyone have related experiences, and after updates issues are gone?

    Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks a lot for reading the loooooong potato posts.

    submitted by /u/nockyama
    [link] [comments]

    Help needed - user profile reset & loads of pics lost

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 02:26 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Really wondering if anyone can help and if there is potentially an easy solution to all this that I've missed. Yesterday I was trying to get a chrome extension (Open in IE) to work which in part required the installation of a native client. I tried to do this via the Terminal, which when I put in it asked for access to photos, contacts etc. About 5mins later, I noticed that a few lines in the terminal looked a bit suspicious so I gave it no further access. After a restart, I think it "recovered" the user profile and huge chunks of personal files, namely pictures from years ago.

    - there are no backups on Time Machine
    - not everything was backed up in the cloud
    - I've ran EASE Data recovery and the JPGs are in there but are apparently corrupted and my few attempts at fixing them haven't worked.

    Obviously lesson learnt about backing up. Weirdly, it's only the photos from around 5 years ago that have been corrupted, which unsurprisingly are the ones we are trying to recover.

    Any thoughts or suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Rhazbis
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina window manager crashed?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 10:19 PM PDT

    Hi all

    Mac Mini 2018 running Catalina. Yesterday macOS froze except I could still move the mouse pointer around the screen. After about 20 seconds the screen went blank and I was back at the login screen.

    Logged in and all apps relaunched, so I assumed the Mac had rebooted although the actual boot up bar hadn't appeared. Running "uptime" in a terminal however reported back as 10 days.

    Anyone seen anything like this before?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/phatitt
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know how to bring the flags back to Georgian and Greek or any other keyboard input that doesn't have the flag? I'm on Mojave and I want 'em so bad

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 01:15 AM PDT

    Is there an application that is able to open saved 'workspaces' of different files, apps and window configurations?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    I'm sure there must be something that does this because it seems like such an obvious time saver but I can't seem to find one. Does anyone know of a Mac app that lets you save configurations of certain files and apps in their respective window locations? Like workspaces that you could open for getting different tasks done eg. a writing workspace, a video or photo editing workspace or a coding workspace?

    submitted by /u/odoug04
    [link] [comments]

    USB TROUBLE

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 05:13 PM PDT

    the USB port on a 2017 model Mac air isn't working. it is connecting & disconnecting continuously with my iPhones. seem to be with all my friends MacBooks with same year. any help??

    submitted by /u/Lary8S
    [link] [comments]

    1080p don't look ideal

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    Hi guys,So I recently got this brand new MacBook Pro 13' 2020, and im enjoying it so far. However when I watch 1080p videos on YouTube or other media, the resolution doesn't really look that great. it's still HD, but comparing it to my tv, my phone or my desktop monitor, it looks kinda off. I was wondering if this is a universal thing across all newer Macs, or if it's my new Mac that's faulty.

    Edit: Mainly when fullscreen

    submitted by /u/DI4CO
    [link] [comments]

    Adobe Flash Uninstall + Catalina

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    So, a couple of questions.

    My current OS is Catalina (10.15.2) and I realized I still have flash player installed from a few months ago that I want to uninstall.

    First, I know Adobe has that website that lists the steps for uninstalling flash on Mac, and I wanted to confirm whether or not the uninstaller for "MAC OS X 10.4 and Later" would work with Catalina? The website hasn't been updated in a couple of years, so I wanted to see if anyone has recently tried this method and if it worked with no issues/safety concerns.

    Second, I do have this application in my utilities folder called "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.app". Is that normal to have? I've opened it and it prompted me with "removing Adobe Flash Player from my computer". I haven't clicked anything else on that program (I promptly quit it) but I wasn't sure if it was a legitimate app from adobe or not.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/NoImNotIronMan
    [link] [comments]

    2002 IKEA Catalogue - iMac G4 Advert [£1649 topped out]

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    Mac giving error -1008F

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    Trying to restart my computer after doing boot camp, wiped my windows clean and restarting. However, every time it tries to recover, I keep on getting this error. Holding any of the usual combinations (shift command option r, command r) doesn't work. It's just stuck with my screen giving me that error. Help?

    submitted by /u/Kendocreep
    [link] [comments]

    Please help

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    I am resetting my MacBook Air and I went through the steps to wipe the hard drive through disk utilities. I am trying to reinstall macOS Sierra which is the original OS for the MacBook and it keeps downloading and saying 'an error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.' What can I do to make it install?

    submitted by /u/Traditional-Work
    [link] [comments]

    rsync from Linux (CentOS 7) to Catalina gives "Operation not permitted" for files/directories with setuid/setguid bit set. Is there a solution for this?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    An example:

    rsync: [generator] failed to set permissions on "/Volumes/me/mirror/box/tplex/transmission-daemon/info": Operation not permitted (1) 

    Here's the source file modes:

    $ ls -ld /me/tplex/transmission-daemon/info drwxrwsr-x 5 layer layer 4096 Aug 1 21:32 /me/tplex/transmission-daemon/info $ 

    This just started happening after the upgrade from Mojave to Catalina.

    Ideas appreciated.

    submitted by /u/e40
    [link] [comments]

    Strange behavior after downgrading an iMac (19,1) from Catalina to Mojave: DVD player and other apps want Catalina

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    Bought a refurb iMac from Apple (5K 27" 2019) and used Migration assistant to move from a High Sierra (2010) iMac to the new one running Catalina. Didn't go well. Installed Mojave, now there are some strange things going on:

    1. DVD player launches when I put a DVD in an external drive, changing all preferences to "Ignore" does not help.
    2. The DVD Player app is now buried in "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/" and is branded with a "will not run" mark. Trying to run it gives the message "You can't use this version of the application "DVD Player.app" with this version of macOS. You have macOS 10.14.4. The application requires macOS 10.15 or later." -- WTF???
    3. All the other apps in that folder except "Feedback Assistant" are likewise non-executable (Network Diagnostics, ...). Again, WTF???
    4. It came with a new BT kbd and Magic Mouse (better than previous ones). Sporadically, some motion I make zooms the Chrome tab I am looking at I cannot figure out how to zoom it back. This has nothing to do with the Chrome tab zoom because that stays at 100%.

    Any suggestions how to fix the apps apparently left over from Catalina?

    submitted by /u/CaptClaude
    [link] [comments]

    When one of my Chrome Browser windows is in full-screen mode and then I switch to another window using CMD+Tab, how do I get back to the window that's in full-screen mode? Using CMD+Tab doesn't seem to find it.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 05:17 PM PDT

    Hours Powered On?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 01:15 PM PDT

    Has Apple made it possible to determine how many hours a MacBook Pro has been in a "waking state" to determine how long the motherboard has been used? I have an MacBook Pro that Apple repair recently repair and I would like to show bona-fides to that effect so I can sell it as such.

    submitted by /u/Hinder90
    [link] [comments]

    Bluetooth headphones crash video calls

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    I have two sets of Bluetooth wireless headphones, Anker Soundcore Life Q10 and Lansuney T30V. They connect fine to my MacBook pro but when I fire up Zoom or Google Meet, 9 time out of 10 the program crashes. I have noticed the sound can get staticy when playing music.

    I tried them on a PC and they work great. I also tried my wife's airpods on my Mac and they work fine with the programs.

    My only thought is they are Bluetooth 5.0 and it doesn't like it.

    Has anyone else seen something like this?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/rumination_station
    [link] [comments]

    I've done a couple of clean installs on my MBP and have these; is it safe to delete them and if so how?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 04:56 AM PDT

    DaisyDisk Cannot Modify “Read-Only Startup disk”

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    The app basically cannot delete stuff anymore as the disk is shows as read only. I tried a bunch of terminal stuff to fix permissions..didn't work.

    submitted by /u/i0nics
    [link] [comments]

    Moving music from old Mac to new Mac

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    Hi, I have a question about moving music from one Mac to another. I will preface my question by saying I still consider myself newish to Macs and iTunes...

    I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.5. There is music in iTunes on this computer, some bought via iTunes, but most of it uploaded from CD's. I would like to copy all the music to a 2017 MacBook Pro.

    Obviously all the music purchased from iTunes isn't an issue, but what about the music ripped from CD's? Can I view all non-purchased music on the old Mac and export it to an external drive and then import into the new computer? If so what are the steps?

    Also, I am not subscribed to Apple Music, if that matters.

    Thanks!

    Edit: would another option be connecting an iPhone to the old computer, syncing from iTunes to put all music on the iPhone, then copy it to the new computer using the Music app?

    submitted by /u/regression4
    [link] [comments]

    Can't boot g3 mac

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    Just got a g3 mac from a friend of mine and apparently did something stupid with the boot drive- This is all that's happening when booting now. The first time I booted it up it was in osx and everything seemed to work fine, and I noticed an option to boot into another, older OS9. Now it's just this screen, and nothing seems to let me get into a boot menu to get back to osx or even OS9.

    submitted by /u/jonosaurus
    [link] [comments]

    Backup Software Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 01:52 PM PDT

    Okay...Help. I need some backup software, preferably cross platform or that uses a universal image for an old mac running 10.7. My go tos Acronis True Image and Easeus ToDo Backup don't run on anything that old and I don't wanna use a bootable software like clonezilla as I'd like something my mom could figure out if I ever have to walk her through things remotely. Any suggestions? Needs to work with an exFAT formatted drive.

    submitted by /u/surfinsam
    [link] [comments]

    Fresh Install of Catalina from Recovery Failing (PKDownloadError Error8)

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    I've tried everything I can find online to get past this, but without any luck.

    I erased my hard drive to do a fresh install, removed all partitions, and created a brand new one to install to.

    Hangs here every single time.

    submitted by /u/mjrodman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel