• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 1, 2020

    iPad Surface-like Kickstand

    iPad Surface-like Kickstand


    Surface-like Kickstand

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    My grandma lost her house, a cat, and almost all of her possessions in a recent house fire. Two weeks later, the iPad is still running despite being under the wet rubble! If you are in doubt about buying an iPad, here is a review to how well they hold up against a house fire!

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 10:35 AM PDT

    Gutted - resolved and replacement arrived within 24 hours! So happy, can’t wait for ios14 and scribble.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    An iPad-for-productivity rant from a place of love

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    I had to submit a message to the building management of my apartment using their resident web portal. I was a couple sentences deep when I had to jump to the Documents (Readdle) app to reference my lease. I found the info I needed, and when I went back to Safari, the page reloaded, and it cleared what I had already written. Gone. (I could've drafted my message in Notes and pasted it in, but that wouldn't have helped all the other lost completed fields in the form)

    I think when people have the "iPad as your computer" debate, we too frequently center the conversation around people doing high end work, such as video editing, motion graphics, 3D, development, etc, and people say, "Well if you are just doing some web browsing, email, and documents, the iPad is great."

    The workflow of writing into a web page form and referencing a PDF is as basic as you can get, and the iPad crumbled right before me. This is a 2017 iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard, a retail value at the time of $900+, not a $200 Chromebook.

    It's kind of scary on iPads when you leave one app and come back to it, you can't necessarily trust the data retention. I've experimented using my iPad as a work machine to see what it is like (I have a work-issued MacBook Pro). I'll be in Outlook, jump out to another app to look at something, and when I return, it reloads and completely forgets which email I was reading. It then takes another 10 seconds to scroll to pick up where I left off. That is a productivity killer in a rapid paced professional environment. It breaks your concentration and focus. Yikes.

    This rant comes from a place of love. My iPad is my main home personal computer. I just think there is an aspect of the iPad that you don't see in the marketing, the fancy trackpad demos, or the feature lists. Just being able to trust your computer as you fly around applications is really key.

    TLDR: Safari reloaded and lost what I was writing in it, kind of breaking my trust in the iPad as a productivity machine.

    submitted by /u/jmush
    [link] [comments]

    Logitech Folio Touch for the iPad Pro 2020 11-inch (Thoughts after 2 days of use + AMA)

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 07:04 AM PDT

    Skip to the end for TLDR

    Hey guys, here to share my humble opinion about the product. Always found reddit incredibly useful and I'm here to hopefully pay it forward.

    I purchased my iPad Pro 11-inch 2020 at launch but held off the purchase of a keyboard till now.

    The Magic Keyboard looks amazing but I just couldn't justify the absurd price tag. The only other Apple alternative, the Smart Keyboard Folio, is a no-go as well since I'm not a fan of the mushy keycaps. I damn near bought the Logitech Slim Folio case but ultimately held off the purchase due to 2 reasons 1) Connected via Bluetooth & 2) It has to be charged separately.

    The Folio Touch ticked all of my boxes 1. Considerably cheaper - Damn near half the price of the Magic Keyboard 2. Smart Connector - no need to connect via bluetooth, no need to charge. 3. Trackpad 4. Durable material & great build quality - the polyurethane material of the magic keyboard is extremely concerning. Seen too many post on reddit where it damages easily despite babying the keyboard 5. Function Keys (The home button, brightness controls, media keys are extremely useful and important) 6. Large adjustable viewing angle

    After using the Folio Touch for 2 days, I am extremely pleased with the product.

    The keyboard feels excellent, the size and spacing of the keys is great as well. I am not finding myself making typo mistakes even on my 1st day of use. I am typing this entire post now on the Folio Touch.

    The trackpad is butter smooth as well, able to handle the 2/3 finger gestures. Scrolling through webpages and my social media feed is extremely smooth as well. Previously, I didn't think a trackpad is necessary. But now that I have access, it certainly feels great having different ways to use my iPad. As mentioned by many reviews, the trackpad uses a diving board design hence its easy to physically click on the bottom but hard at the top. This does not bother me though since most of the time I "tap to click" anyway, even on my laptop.

    I feel zero need to baby this keyboard case, not having to sit it down gently on the table fearing that it will scratch the case.

    I'm glad to say I didn't experience any connectivity issue or backlit not functioning issues - (I am running iPadOS14.0 public beta 3 and I have downloaded the Logitech app and updated the keyboard to the latest firmware)

    The only annoying thing I experience thus far (which isn't a problem with this product), certain applications are only available in portrait mode. This meant that the keyboard and trackpad is practically unusable unless you're willing to tilt your head 90degrees.

    Weight of my setup iPad Pro 11-inch 2020 Wifi - 471g / 16.58 ounces Folio Touch - 646g / 22.79 ounces Apple Pencil 2 - 20.7g / 0.73 ounces Total 1137.7g / 40.1 ounces

    Sorry for the lengthy post, hopefully this helps those make their decision.

    TL;DR - Absolutely in love with the product, zero regrets, excellent value. My iPad feels like a MacBook Pro 11inch now.

    submitted by /u/danieltantk
    [link] [comments]

    2020 smart folio quality issue, 2 months old, anyone encounter such wearing on the edges?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    Teaching iPad to seniors

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!!! My grandparents (like many) are not very technologically advanced, but my grandma decided recently that she wanted to learn how to use an iPad. I put together a Google Docs packet on the basics behind it and how to use. If anyone would like a copy of it, please let me know! You can format it with your own personal details.

    As a 20-year-old, I don't remember a time where I didn't have a computer or piece of tech, so I grew up as it advanced. I can't even imagine trying to just jump right in to the world of Apple products in 2020, so I hope this can help someone else too. With my grandma, we started doing weekly (masked and socially distant) lessons on things like how to unlock, use Siri, and use Google, and hopefully will advance soon to email, FaceTime, and iMessage so she can Lee I'm contact with the whole extended family since we don't have our annual beach vacation this year.

    Feel free to message me for the document and if you have any other tips for me!

    submitted by /u/kidfromdc
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a desk clock app that requires a passcode to get out of it.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    I currently have Nightstand Central, which displays time and weather full-screen, but I want something like it that can be locked so random people can't close it and get to the Home screen. I intend to leave it on all day on my old iPad mounted in the kitchen.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Scienscatologist
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone help? My old work iPad is unusable!

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    So my company I worked for was bought out and absorbed by a new company, which is all good and well. We were allowed to keep our old work iPads.

    So I did a full reset, but immediately upon turning it on and connecting to WiFi, it tells me I have to install my old work profile so they can install apps and such. There is no option to bypass this.

    How can one go around this?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/BasedMedicalDoctor
    [link] [comments]

    Ipad's volume cannot be adjusted when using Zoom- Help!

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    When using Zoom, or other teleconferencing programs, the volume is stuck at one volume no matter how I adjust the Ipad's volume (all the way up or down, same volume).

    Does anyone know how to adjust/ fix this?

    submitted by /u/ClawBadger
    [link] [comments]

    @ Students who use the iPad: How much storage have you used?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 12:41 AM PDT

    How much of your storage have you used both locally and on the cloud? Do your note-taking/academically related content take up a lot of space?

    Have you ever had trouble with storage?

    submitted by /u/TheNissanCarz
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone help? My old work iPad is unusable!

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    So my company I worked for was bought out and absorbed by a new company, which is all good and well. We were allowed to keep our old work iPads.

    So I did a full reset, but immediately upon turning it on and connecting to WiFi, it tells me I have to install my old work profile so they can install apps and such. There is no option to bypass this.

    How can one go around this?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/BasedMedicalDoctor
    [link] [comments]

    Option for external storage, lightning port

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 02:30 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I have iPad Air 3. What is a proven and reliable brand/option to store my all my files and scanned documents, outside of iCloud? Only need 64 GB I would say.

    Ideally it would be compact and sit flat to the iPad so I could leave it it while I move the iPad around, but that's not essential.

    I have heard the name RevPower, is this is a good brand in your experience?

    Thanks, Gray81

    submitted by /u/gray81
    [link] [comments]

    Breathing new life into an iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 06:33 AM PDT

    I'm trying to rehab my old iPad 2. I'd like to get it as fast as possible for use in the kitchen, reading recipes and controlling Spotify.

    Anyone aware of folks or tutorials focused on squeezing the most performance out of an older iPad?

    submitted by /u/Simmosays
    [link] [comments]

    Any holder or case for and iPad mini 5 with an apple pencil with silicone grips?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 12:19 AM PDT

    So I got this cover which fits my pencil with a silicone cover but to be honest its kinda hard to put it in and out.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07QKMDC9R?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

    And I was wondering if you knew of a holder or a case that may fit the pencils with these grips . I started using them and I can't go back. They feel so much better

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/arongkatz
    [link] [comments]

    [Help please] Has anyone else noticed a massive increase in system wide app crashes lately? Across all apps, any time, for any reason. This is a 6th gen. Fully updated.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    Watching a YouTube video - crash

    Browsing reddit - crash

    Open a second app in side view - crash

    Working in Numbers- crash

    Etc.

    Three other things I've noticed are that it lags a bit more (primarily the keyboard), it self reboots sometimes, and web pages fail to load often.

    I only bought this iPad new around a year and a half ago, but I didn't think it would become outdated so quickly. Is this a solvable issue?

    submitted by /u/memorizemee
    [link] [comments]

    Does the uag metropolis for the air 3 allow to use an apple smart cover as well?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 09:17 AM PDT

    I bought the uag metropolis a few days ago and I absolutely hate the cover it comes with, it's very hard to use the tablet with it attached unless it's used just as a stand on a table.

    I kind of regret not just buying the smart cover from the beginning.

    submitted by /u/Lvnatic92
    [link] [comments]

    iPad 7 keyboard suggestions?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 05:20 AM PDT

    i jus got an ipad 7th gen for university. i was intending on getting logitech's slim folio keyboard to go with it. sadly, multiple sources say the downside of this product is the short battery life. i'd really appreciate keyboard suggestions within the $250 price range, has a great typing experience, has a reloadable/rechargeable battery life (ie can withstand more than 2 hours of daily use without having to buy another keyboard), and can protect my ipad well. thanks in advance ! :))

    submitted by /u/uuueewghgh
    [link] [comments]

    Logitech Combo Touch for 11 pro?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 08:44 AM PDT

    Is there a similar case/keyboard case to the Combo Touch that is compatible with the 11" Pros? Doesn't have to be by Logitech of course. I really like the MS Surface style with the kickstand and being able to detach the kB when not being used. All of the official cases from Apple and Logitech have fixed KBs, which I don't need to use all that often. I'm ok with smaller key travel, mushy keys, and all the negatives these cases usually have since my use case won't require me to use it often. Replying to emails (and posting to reddit) with my thumbs is getting annoying though.

    submitted by /u/Matt21484
    [link] [comments]

    External monitor solutions for productivity purposes?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 10:35 PM PDT

    Does anybody have any experience using their iPad with an external monitor for extensive productivity purposes?

    I have been experiencing migraines/eye fatigue from prolonged use of my iPad (6th gen) which just so happens to be my go-to device for research and reading at the moment.

    I have seen that using having a larger screen with a few other features can be helpful to combating this, and I was wondering if connecting my iPad to an external monitor with the lightning to HDMI adapter would be a viable long term option. I've seen that image quality doesn't suffer that much especially if the external screen isn't huge (I am looking at 24 in). My chief concern is probably the effect that this would have on the battery life of the iPad; although the adapter has an additional lightning port for simultaneous charging I am not sure if long term this would be good for the overall health of the device. Does anyone have any experience with using this dongle for extended periods of time?

    The lightning to HDMI adapter is my cheap option. I have also considered getting the Apple TV HD unit and using airplay... but it's a bit pricier than I would like it to be.

    At the end of the day, I also have a laptop with a larger display (17 in—still smaller than I would like and doesn't have some of the features with purported eye health benefits) that I could much more assuredly connect to an external monitor... But it's a bit old and not nearly as convenient or seamless as the iPad has been for me lately. I really like the different iOS productivity apps, the split screen function and the ability to have all of my books/articles/notes in a centralized location. Having the option to be really mobile w/o worrying about transferring files is also a big draw me for when I think about having the iPad at the center of my work flow.

    Thanks for reading. Would love to hear any comments or thoughts or experiences if anyone has ever thought about or done something like this.

    submitted by /u/Falalalala01
    [link] [comments]

    Two Smart Keyboards have died on me, each about a year -- How about you?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 11:05 PM PDT

    Getting a Smart Keyboard was one of the best things I've ever done with my iPad--that made it into a functional "laptop" for a lot of common tasks.

    I bought a used Smart Keyboard off of eBay for about $60 (compared to $150 new from Apple) and after about a year it started having trouble getting the iPad to recognize it. My local Apple Store ran the serial number and offered to replace it.

    Now, about a year later, my new replacement Smart Keyboard is having the same trouble--not connecting/being recognized by my iPad. And, when it is recognized, the keys quickly become "stuck", leaving me with an extended line of a letter or, more often, spaces.

    I'm writing to ask if others have had similar issues with theirs?

    I've been skeptical of Bluetooth keyboards (it just doesn't seem as elegant a connection as the official Apple keyboard), but I don't want to buy yet another keyboard if they only ever last about a year, so if you have a Bluetooth keyboard that you really love, I'm open to the idea.

    submitted by /u/das_goose
    [link] [comments]

    iOS 14 on iPad 7th gen is AMAZING

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I don't normally even lurk this subreddit, but I saw a video of someone using scribble on iOS 14 and I was really interested on how this worked.

    I usually use my iPad for GarageBand and reading, but I never really use it for anything else because I always have my iPhone on me which is easier to whip out.

    I enrolled in the public beta and tried iOS 14 (or iPad OS 14?) and I am blown away. I have TERRIBlE handwriting, and it recognizes it without a hitch. You can type a URL in the notes app and it makes it clickable. Annotating papers in Pages using the pencil is so easy to do.

    I have a Surface which I love, and need Windows for work, but using the iPad with the pencil as my library, notebook, paper editor and music maker is so much fun. I wish Microsoft would have better tablet functionality because a Surface Go with these features would be unbeatable IMO, but Apple does it best.

    Go download it if you're like me and don't have much use out of your iPad. It's a completely new device to me now.

    submitted by /u/novabliss1
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else’s items stuck at chek lap kok, hong kong?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 06:40 PM PDT

    My ipad got shipped last week, this is the last update i got on 7/27/20

    oh also I am located in California.

    I think it might something to do with this news????

    On top of this my expected delivery also disappeared. So not sure whats happening.

    Oh i also saw a post on r/ups where someone's package is also stuck in transit since 7/27/20, might be a co-incidence but a couple people commented that their package is also stuck in-transit since 7/27/20. So something is cooking????

    i am just curious if anyone else is in the same boat? or does anyone know whats up?

    submitted by /u/tr0j4n_v1ru5
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel