• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 2, 2020

    macOS How can I have my menu text as black? Its very hard to read white text on a bright background

    macOS How can I have my menu text as black? Its very hard to read white text on a bright background


    How can I have my menu text as black? Its very hard to read white text on a bright background

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 12:40 AM PDT

    Unable to change icons in Mac OS Big Sur

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    So you know how you can click an app icon in finder, select "Get Info" and drag another picture on the icon to change it? So I have Discord and Minecraft on the new Mac OS and because they don't have the round icon design, I decided to make my own but I can't change the icons. When I copy and paste the new icons onto the current ones it doesn't do anything...is there any way to fix this?

    submitted by /u/AstralBirth_Void
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina Mac keeps putting itself into Presentation Mode...

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 02:26 AM PDT

    Hi everyone

    I've got a 2015 iMac 5K running the latest version of Catalina (10.15.5), and every few days I notice that notifications have stopped and it is not during DND time. A check of the Today View panel shows that Presentation Mode is enabled. I am not explicitly doing this myself. Is there a way to tell which app is enabling this?

    Thanks
    James

    submitted by /u/jamrolu
    [link] [comments]

    Fairly new macos user, trying to permanently delete an application

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    So I recently made the switch to macos and have been using clamshell mainly so ive been using my mouse/keyboard.

    I ended up installing the logitech macos software, but decided I did not really care for it nor do I want it. I attempted to "uninstall" through cleanmymacx, however I still get this prompt daily.

    Can anyone shed some light on what else I need to do to remove this app for good and any hidden files (because I do not see anything in finder/apps)?

    submitted by /u/1C9R0R4
    [link] [comments]

    Request for those who are running the MacOS Big Sur Beta

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    In the current finder you need to have a folder with the name "movies" (or some other pre-determined name) in order to access meta-data columns in the list view such as dimensions and duration. In the current Big Sur beta is this still the case or are these columns available on any folder now. Thanks to anybody who can help!

    submitted by /u/Anon6374_
    [link] [comments]

    Remaining battery time in the menu bar

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    Remaining battery time in the menu bar

    Hey guys. Since a few releases ago, Apple removed the remaining battery time estimation option, I decided to bring it back. I've created a simple open source project on Github. A `.dmg` file is also available. Feel free to use it and share your feedback via issues on GitHub or in this thread.

    Demo screenshots:

    When battery is discharging

    When battery is charged

    could also run at startup

    submitted by /u/sammers21
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for the name of this app, any idea?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    Need some help getting rid of these empty “free space” partitions. I am unable to resize Macintosh HD, and I am also not able to remove the free space partitions. I feel that I could manually resize in terminal but am unsure of how to do that. Would like to do a fresh install of OS X.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    What's a good MP3 tag renamer?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    Looking for something easy that can bulk rename tags for music files. Thanks

    submitted by /u/geoffe
    [link] [comments]

    System taking up 90 out of 121 GB

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 03:19 PM PDT

    Hi guys, I have a 2015 Macbook pro

    I am running out of space and cannot figure out why. ive deleted all my pictures and reduced my applications down to the absolute necessary 10. When I open the mac storage from the top left, it says system is taking up 93 gb out of 121. Because of this I cannot install Catalina.

    -I have never and do not use time machine, so there are no backups there, I even checked in the terminal

    -When I used the trial version of DaisyDisk, it says my messages are 60gb, but when I Check the mac storage It says 4 gb. I also have icloud enabled.

    -When I tried first aid, it says the disk could not be mounted even after finding an error when I restarted with smc controller.

    Please let me know what you all think!

    submitted by /u/sleepyygirl2022
    [link] [comments]

    pf-badhost: Stop the bots and badguys in their tracks!

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    Hey folks,

    I'm the author of a utility called 'pf-badhost' which uses the PF firewall to intelligently filter network traffic. As you may know, MacOS uses the PF firewall. The PF firewall is used by a number of other operating systems as well which allows pf-badhost to be highly portable due to the universal interfaces exposed via the 'pfctl' utility.

    Here's a quick summary of pf-badhost:

    "pf-badhost is a simple, easy to use network filtering utility that uses the power of the pf firewall to block many of the internet's biggest irritants. Annoyances such as SSH and SMTP bruteforcers are largely eliminated. Shodan scans and bots looking for webservers to abuse are stopped dead in their tracks. When used to filter outbound traffic, pf-badhost blocks many seedy, spooky malware containing and/or compromised webhosts."

    I just thought I'd share with you guys that I've added MacOS support, so now all my Apple friends can now enjoy all the badhost blocking goodness that the other OS get to enjoy.

    pf-badhost webpage: https://www.geoghegan.ca/pfbadhost.html

    pf-badhost install instructions: https://www.geoghegan.ca/pub/pf-badhost/0.4/install/macos.txt

    submitted by /u/Essays0nEsotericism
    [link] [comments]

    Mid 2011 iMac 21.5" WiFi Connectivity Issues

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    Sorry in advance if this isn't the right place to post this. I've been having some mind boggling issues lately with my iMac regarding internet connectivity. I am fully connected to WiFi, but the internet won't work. Chrome hangs on "resolving host", and any other app that requires internet to function doesn't work either.

    Every other device in the household connects and functions just fine.

    It's an intermittent issue, since this started months ago I was able to temporarily remedy the problem by disconnecting from the network, or turning off wifi all together, then reconnecting/reenabling and it'd work for a while. Now it's like that, or it works for 5 minutes or as little as 30 seconds before rendering useless again, or sometimes not at all. I can post a dropbox link of a screen recording capturing the issue if it helps diagnose the problem, as well as the in depth information listed when you hold [alt] and click on the wifi icon.

    I haven't been able to reliably use my computer this past week and I'm about to put my fist through this aluminum paper weight. Already exhausted over the phone Apple support and any article/forum suggestions I could find, nothing has solved the issue.

    Is it possible for a WiFi card to "die"? Or is this some other software/hardware/external router issue

    MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

    iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011) 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

    16GB 1333 MHz DDR3

    AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

    submitted by /u/gutturalsodomy
    [link] [comments]

    Hung logon due to login items

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    I have a mac mini running high sierra that i use as a plex server. I have a login that is set for automatic login and programs that are set under the login items for that user. Recently that account has been experiencing issues with automatic login and have not been able to reach the desktop, sometimes it gets to the login screen and it just sits there with the spinning color wheel. I suspect that one of the programs is the root cause to this issue, i was able to boot into single user mode and create another login using this article https://www.lifewire.com/create-new-admin-account-for-login-issues-2259976 which allowed me to get into the mac.

    How can i clear the login items for that other user?

    submitted by /u/networkwise
    [link] [comments]

    How can I get past..."Uh oh! Looks like you're using an adblocker."...?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    Hi there. I currently use 1Blocker for macOS and iOS. Some websites such as Forbes have an automatic tool to detect anti-adblockers. How can I get any from this? Is there an extension I can use to prevent these from popping up?

    submitted by /u/greenMaverick09
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use a drive used for other purposes for a Time Machine backup?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    I have a 6TB media drive that is partially filled with various media. I would like to keep the media, and continue using the drive for this purpose, but could I devote a portion of the drive to be used as a Time Machine backup? What is involved in making this happen? Im assuming an APFS partition at least the same size as my MBP SSD?

    submitted by /u/th3suffering
    [link] [comments]

    Can't Find My Original Mac OS Boot Drive

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    I installed Linux Mint onto a partition of my startup disk, and I wanted to go back to Mac OS to do some work. However, in the startup menu, the Mac OS disk was not there. Anyone know if and how I can fix this?

    submitted by /u/ReeditBanana
    [link] [comments]

    Photos stuck "Downloading 4,411 Originals"

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    I notice when I open the Photos app that my MBA starts getting hot. Normally the i5 Y series will boost up really fast to 80c+ but then right back down once task is finished. However it continues to stay hot. And the photos don't ever download.

    Is this Catalina acting up or a general Mac OS issue?

    submitted by /u/lost_vault_hunter
    [link] [comments]

    I'm just trying to do something super simple -- take a screenshot, highlight part of it, and scribble a note on it -- and, good grief is this interface terrible. What should take 10 seconds is now going on 25+ minutes.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    For example, take a screenshot, click on the highlighter tool, then try to highlight. When you click the mouse button down and move the mouse.... the whole window moves! Then click on the drawing tool draw one letter, lift off the mouse button to draw the next, and... the first letter transforms into an object, with handles and everything. Good Lord, why is this so difficult?!

    submitted by /u/Alaska_Jack
    [link] [comments]

    Messages app assigning "Text Message" to iPhone contacts

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    I recently downgraded from the Big Sur beta to the latest stable version of Catalina, and I've since been having an issue where Messages on macOS shows certain contacts who I know use iPhones and iMessage as being a Text Message contact. Any ideas on how to reset the cache on this? TIA

    submitted by /u/jordaniraz
    [link] [comments]

    Brave Browser

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    Would you use the Brave browser as your main browser? I've used chrome for the most part and went back and forth between chrome/safari most of the time

    submitted by /u/scott9314
    [link] [comments]

    MS Office Is Missing After Migration to New Mac Using Time Machine

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    Ran a full back up of the old Mac (El Capitan) to Time Machine and migrated to the new Mac (Catalina).

    Everything seems to be there including other apps, however all Microsoft Office apps are missing.

    Word, Excel, PowerPoint are no where to be found on the new Mac. MSFT Office suite 2016 is compatible with Catalina. Anyone have an idea how to manually transfer and install? I've long since lost the install disks.

    submitted by /u/ShadowDancer11
    [link] [comments]

    Smart Status Failing

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 01:52 PM PDT

    My late 2013 imac looks like ahard drive is finally on the wane, I managed to time capsule all my data on to external hard drive. I cant afford a new one. Can a new hard drive be put in and restore my data? I'll have to look for a qualified technician to do it, Wouldn't be confident doing it myself.

    submitted by /u/eddiedingle129
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel