• Breaking News

    Friday, July 3, 2020

    Apple Macbook PSA: Calibrate your battery every now and then

    Apple Macbook PSA: Calibrate your battery every now and then


    PSA: Calibrate your battery every now and then

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 09:07 AM PDT

    TLDR; my 2018 15" MBP suddenly showed a Service recommended battery alert, with just 131 cycles after two years of use. Battery capacity had apparently dropped to 75%. After calibration capacity went back to 93% and Normal condition.

    After investigating the issue, I decided to do a battery calibration. Used it on battery for the entire day, which lasted for a bit more than 7 hours doing regular work, even with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and dedicated graphics. It suspended by itself, but clicking a few keys brought it back to life for another 45 minutes or so, so there was still some juice left over. Overall I got around 8 hours of battery life (keep in mind that dedicated graphics were used on and off during the entire day).

    I let if off overnight, and then charged it to 100%. Battery capacity improved to 83%, but the status remained at Service. I repeated the calibration process yet again and today the status went back to Normal and capacity to 93%.

    So, if you're like me and keep your MBP plugged-in most of the time, do this every couple of weeks to keep it in shape.

    submitted by /u/Advanced_Path
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Air 2017 Gets Hot after 10.15.5 Catalina Update

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 11:17 PM PDT

    Is anyone else experiencing their Macbook getting really hot after the recent update? I'm not doing anything intensive, just internet browsing. I'm using a flat hard surface and the fan doesn't turn on but the area around the battery gets seriously hot. I don't remember it getting this hot before doing the software update and I'm losing battery power rapidly and am charging way more frequently after the update.

    I scanned Malwarebytes to check if I have any viruses and it says I'm clean. I am checking CPU usage and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

    Whenever my battery gets around 80% I always charge it back until it's around 100%. I read a recent reddit post that it is good to let the battery die for a couple hours and charge it back to recalibrate it. I will try that.

    Any other tips on how I can reduce the heat?

    submitted by /u/noturopppa
    [link] [comments]

    Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti 4GB card as EGPU with MacBook Pro 2020

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:49 PM PDT

    I recently got the 4-port 10th gen CPU MacBook Pro 2020 with 32GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. So I'm semi-retiring my old Windows PC to use almost exclusively as a streaming server. It occurred to me that I could possibly take the graphics card out of the PC and put it into an EGPU enclosure. for use with the MBP. I don't know much about this but is it possible? Do you think it would be worth doing?

    I'm using the MacBook for producing video (Da Vinci Resolve now but FCPX later) and music (Logic Pro X), and processing photos (On1 Photo Raw 2020). I'm also thinking of doing a bit of coding in XCode later on.

    I'm currently running the MBP with the internal display plus a 1080p external Iiyama monitor, plus my iPad Air with Sidecar for the few times when I want 3 displays. The monitor is plugged into a hub via a DVI to HDMI cable. If I use the 1050Ti as an EGPU, can I have two monitors plugged into that plus the one plugged into the hub?

    submitted by /u/garryknight
    [link] [comments]

    looking for a case for my MacBook Air 11 inch that's actually soft and doesn't hurt my wrists

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:07 PM PDT

    if you have a MacBook Air 11 inch (maybe this applies to all MacBooks) there are these two prominent edges where its pretty sharp by the touchpad. exactly where my wrists go. are there any cases that go around this and are soft? im looking for clear cases but any case works. thanks!!

    submitted by /u/kate-litzsinger
    [link] [comments]

    Help with random flickering lines on screen? See comments for more details

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:50 AM PDT

    Refurbished Macbook 13 2019 vs new Macbook 13 2020

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    I am planning to buy a macbook pro as my previous windows laptop broke down, and since I was already planning to switch over to MacOS, the time has come.

    I will mainly use my laptop for software development (CS student here), some photo editing (no video atm), and fiddling around with music production software. Programs I use include Eclipse / IntelliJ, RStudio, VMWare for Linux vms, and in occasionally Ableton and Photoshop.

    The options I'm currently looking at are: (Belgian prices)

    - Refurbished 2019 MBP 13 with an i5, 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD for 1650 euros
    - 2020 MBP 13 with i5 8th Gen, 16 RAM and 512 SSD for 1750 euros
    - 2020 MBP 13 with i5 10th Gen, 16 GB Ram and 512 SSD for 2050 euros

    I initially was planning to just settle for the 2020 base model with 8 GB Ram but I looked around on Reddit and online reviews, and I'm a bit afraid that the 8GB will not suffice for my workload.

    So now I'm torn between going for the 'cheaper' 2019 model with its butterfly keyboard, or just spending the extra cash for the 2020 model (and in the case of the 2020, figuring out whether the 10th gen chip and the 4 TB ports are worth 300 more).

    Any thoughts or advice for me?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/VirtualTumbleweed
    [link] [comments]

    Which MacBook should I buy?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    I'm having a difficult time between choosing a MacBook and deciding whether or not to upgrade the specs. I am a college student and at most, I would need a computer that can handle using zoom/webex meetings with screen sharing, Excel and about 10 tabs open at the same time. I currently have an ASUS chromebook flip c302 and it's terrible when it comes to multitasking. I get "cpu storage is too high" when I'm on zoom meetings so I'll have to turn off my camera and not use any other programs when I'm on it. Needless to say, I am in desperate need of a new computer.

    These are the models I'm debating over:

    1. MBA base model
    2. MBA i5 with 8gb ram
    3. MBA i5 w 16gb ram
    4. MacBook Pro base model

    I'm looking for a laptop that I won't have to upgrade for another 3-5 years. Ideally, my budget is around $1000 and I get money off from the education store. But I would be willing to go up to $300 over if the upgrades are really worth it. Which model would best suit my needs?

    Side note: I've heard that the MBA has issues with overheating and the fan being really loud. Is it a big issue and if so, is it something that can be can be avoided or diminished with spec upgrades?

    submitted by /u/Nervous_Passion
    [link] [comments]

    Need macbook help should I get the base model or the $1700

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:32 AM PDT

    Basically what the title says been hearing alot of reviews that the $1700 one just gets way to hot and overheats and basically they cant do anything with there laptop

    anyone with that model having problems?

    I really wanna buy a macbook but dont know what to do

    Mainly the work load ill be doing is

    Music producing / Logic pro / Fl studio

    Photoshop

    Searching the web

    Maybe emulating games

    Should I get the $1700 I heard it is overly hot and slows down once the fans kick in

    submitted by /u/Joenzii
    [link] [comments]

    Best Macbook For Me?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 09:01 AM PDT

    Hello Reddit! I've recently been searching for a Macbook, but I'm not sure what model would be best for me. I was wondering if I could get advice on a good Macbook for my needs.

    I currently have a Lenovo Yoga 730 15-IWL, but have been looking to switch to a Macbook for a while now. I'm looking for a Macbook with around 16 GB RAM, at least 256 SSD, and a somewhat good graphics card.

    I currently have 12 GB RAM, and an Intel UHD Graphics 620, and 256 SSD, but am looking to go for more than 256 GB.

    A lot of the time I am working with programs in the Adobe Suite, particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Premiere Pro. I also do game from time to time, but usually walking simulator-type games, so having Ultra High graphics is not a necessity, but the games I do play are 3D, so that could factor in. Of course programs like Premiere Pro and other video editing software can require high graphics cards. I do use Blender from time to time, but it is not a daily software. Of course, I also do a ton of web browsing, and also used Discord, but these aren't really high RAM programs (except for Google Chrome).

    While I'm probably not going to be able to shell out 1500+ for a Macbook, I should be able to invest a decent amount into a good one. So, what do you guys think would be best for me?

    Thank you all so much!

    submitted by /u/kaimamaster1315
    [link] [comments]

    MBP Keyboard problem

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:02 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, recently i spilled some beer on my 2010 mbp, i didn't use it for a few days than i cleaned the motherboard with a toothbrush and some alcohol, everything is working fine now but the keyboard has some problems. Every key is working execept for a few keys (570tupgjbm) and when i keep pressing one of these keys a series of other characters appears like (adfs) when i press "j" and sometimes weird characters. My keyboard viewer looks like this https://imgur.com/qk2fwNW and im not pressing anything. I tried resetting the smc, enable mouse keys is unchecked. But with and external keyboard everything seems to work fine and i need an external keyboard to type my password too. I need your guys help cuz i don't want to buy a replacement keyboard if it's not needed. thanks for any help

    submitted by /u/geemilly
    [link] [comments]

    Display projector in macos (through wifi)

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    I've a surface pro and I can use it as secondary screen for other windows devices (here a guide). But can a macbook use that function? I'm going to buy a macbook pro 16" soon and I'm curious about this thing. I googled something about screen projector for macos and I saw that he uses airplay but I don't think my surface has this function.

    submitted by /u/Bacarus95
    [link] [comments]

    Few questions about MBP i5 10th Gen.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    Hello, I am a student joining univerisity in September for Computer Science.

    I want to buy a Macbook Pro 2020 13" i5 10th gen, 16GB Ram, 512GB, which I will be using to write my coursework on (Word etc) and also some programming.

    I am wondering how the thermals are on the new Macbook since I've heard from some that there are high temperatures and noisy fans problems.

    Also, how is the battery life and would it be worth it to upgrade to the i7 10th Gen (+200£) ?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Alex-Cosmin
    [link] [comments]

    What’s your favorite OS/OS X and why?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:04 AM PDT

    Should I clean my MacBook Air myself? Is it safe?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    OK, so my MacBook Air has been running slower than usual lately, and I use it in quite a dusty environment, so I think it's time to give it an internal clean.

    I contacted a few repair shops to ask for a quote, but they all seem to be charging £50 or more. So, I thought maybe I could do it myself. I already bought compressed air and a Pentalobe screwdriver. Is it safe for me to clean my own MacBook? And if so, is there anything else I need?

    submitted by /u/djmaximizemusic
    [link] [comments]

    Is my Macbook to old for Adobe

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:15 AM PDT

    I tried to use adobe (photoshop) on my Macbook Pro (OS X Yoseite version 10.10.5) It says Early 2015 model, however once I installed Adobe it says that a upgrade is needed either a macOS 10.13 or later.

    When I go to system updates, there aren't any available.

    I'm stuck and I need to use adobe for work.

    Any help is greatly appreciated, and if this is the wrong sub please let me know.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/lelareddit
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro 2015 vs MacBook Pro 2016 vs MacBook Air 2018

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:20 AM PDT

    Which one would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/g1yk
    [link] [comments]

    Protecting my MacBook

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:16 AM PDT

    I just got a new 13in MacBook and I want to get some sort of protective cover for it. While doing research I have seen many skins for the top and bottom and I was wondering if these offer any real protection. I am not a huge fan of how a lot of the cases look so I was wondering if a skin would be a good alternative.

    submitted by /u/russellcanova
    [link] [comments]

    Can a dead battery prevent a MacBook from turning on?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 02:25 AM PDT

    MacBook Air 2014

    Left it sleeping two days back, now it won't turn on nor charge at all (even the MagSafe charging LED would not light up when plugged in). Earlier, the battery status showed I needed to replace it (it's almost six years old) but due to the current lockdown situation I can't even get a replacement battery delivered to my place.

    So, am I correct in guessing that it's most likely just a dead battery or something worse like a bad motherboard? The reason I'm asking is I thought you could turn on a MacBook even with a dead battery as long as it's connected to power. Also, I heard the bootup chime once but nothing happened after that.

    Also, I don't have any P5 screwdrivers lying around so would it be dangerous to leave the battery as it is until I can get my hands on one?

    submitted by /u/tetea_t
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel