• Breaking News

    Monday, June 29, 2020

    macOS every time

    macOS every time


    every time

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 09:31 AM PDT

    As I quickly discovered, this was not the most efficient method of installing 1,000 fonts.

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 11:00 PM PDT

    [HELP] Downgraded from Big Sur beta to Catalina to find out Big Sur created an uncompatible disk, how can I fix it? Both "Mount" and "Erase" options are erroring out

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:47 AM PDT

    Imo MacOS Sierra is the best version. So glad it's my daily driver ��

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    Should I really have this much storage taken up by “System”? Is this normal?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    Organizing Ebook Libraries...?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    Hi,

    If you have a big ebook library, how do you organize it, and what do you find helpful?

    I mainly use Calibre. It lets me delete the standard tags, and add my own system of tags, convert books, and export them to my Kindles. It doesn't work with the iPad, but I can't use the iPad. I also keep the original files on an external disk, tagging them RED if I've imported into Calibre, YELLOW if I've converted them and imported a converted version into Calibre, and GRAY if I've skipped them.

    To make it easier for Finder Search or other search tools to search relevant books and skip irrelevant ones, I use different Calibre libraries for general interest, general research, and specific projects. Then I can direct the search to the relevant library.

    To indicate which books I'd like to export, I use a status column in Calibre.

    Some sticking points:

    It can be a lot of work to type up the metadata.

    I have to pre-process pdfs to make them Kindle-compatible, and there's no universal solution. I use Automator to run various k2opt (Willus's k2pdfopt) and gs (Ghostscript) commands, among others, but haven't found a universal solution. It often requires a lot of trial, and error, and more trial, and unique fixes, and so on. I may have the original, a modified one where I've manually hidden a layer, and multiple output versions with different trade-offs, like losing images to improve speed and compatibility.

    Some distributors, like OneBookShelf, send incrementally-updated versions.

    It can lead to a lot of near-duplicate files. Not exact duplicates where I'd be free to delete some, but close to duplicates.

    If I'm trying to look up specific topics, I end up with a lot of possible hits, but then I have to wade through and check each file to confirm them, and the extras can get in the way. I've taken to tagging them PURPLE once I get through them, but it's far from ideal, and many files get multiple tags.

    I'd also like some way to tag files which may require extra pdf processing.

    Easyfind, File Search Machine, and Devonsphere have different search behavior, but they still run into the problem of sorting through search results to see which ones are really related.

    Leap, Houdahspot, Eaglefiler, Devonthink, and so on are supposed to help but I'm really not sure what each one can do, especially if I'm working with Calibre and OneBookShelf and don't want these creating more libraries.

    So what are your experiences?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Ananiujitha
    [link] [comments]

    How long do you suppose Apple will support OS updates for Intel Macs?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:04 AM PDT

    I must confess, I purchased my first Mac ever, a MacBook Pro, a hefty investment for someone who has traditionally been pretty frugal on PC hardware, a mere 3 days before Apple's big announcement of moving their entire ecosystem over to Arm. The reason I purchased the rather beefy option I did was to future proof myself for at least the foreseeable future since I really wasn't sure if I would ever be able to justify buying myself another Mac for development.

    They were throwing around the two year timespan until they thought they would be fully based on the new platform...but do you think they'll keep doing any macOS updates for us stuck on Intel, or do you think we'll basically be EOL at that point? I'm torn on how I should feel regarding my timing, both liking the idea of having the Intel Mac since I can still do things like Bootcamp, but a bit disheartened because I don't want to feel like I've been left in the dust in 2-3 years time as far as support goes. I'm very new to the whole Apple ecosystem so I was just left feeling a little lost.

    I've been loving macOS more than I thought I would.

    submitted by /u/sirflimflam
    [link] [comments]

    Best Mac for quiet audio recording?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 09:12 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm a narrator and I'm looking to upgrade my current computer for audio recording. Specs below.

    2016 15' Macbook Pro | 2.6GHz | i7 |16GB RAM 2133 DDR3 | Radeon Pro 450 2GB, Intel HD 530 1536 MB

    My goal here is to find something essentially "fanless" or extremely quiet, that can run Adobe Audition or Pro Tools recording for multiple hours. Is there something you'd recommend here with various price points involved (Cheaper, Middle of the road, Expensive)? I would love any and all insight you might have on my venture here to eliminate fan noise from recordings.

    Thanks and best regards,

    submitted by /u/rrockets88
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody know where Wipr get its blocklists? And does it block all unnecessary page-level aesthetics (for instance pop-ups asking you if you want a newsletter) or is it simply a blocklist in a browser? And just as importantly does it block youtube ads? Does it block reddit ads?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:25 AM PDT

    Open new tab in Safari is laggy

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 03:22 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    im running the latest version of Catalina on my MacBook Pro 15 (Late 2016) and more and more frequently safari becomes really laggy in usage.

    Very often when I want to open a new tab the beachball pops up and spins for some seconds. I have already cleared the cache and restarted my Macbook but it doesn't help.

    Anyone else having this issue?

    Is my MacBook getting old (Shouldn't it be powerful enough to run safari smooth 😂) or is Catalina just a laggy os release?

    submitted by /u/lennart1808
    [link] [comments]

    This isn't confusing at all.

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    This isn't confusing at all.

    https://preview.redd.it/ehkks4q9lp751.png?width=172&format=png&auto=webp&s=14525c0c6ebdf948c1fb51eecf84c82c192ad8d1

    Just in case it isn't obvious:

    • Old XCode
    • New Xcode
    • New Simulator
    • Developer App
    • Mac App Store
    submitted by /u/gaminrey
    [link] [comments]

    PerfPowerServices taking up CPU power

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 02:10 AM PDT

    Hi, So i have a MBP 13,1 2016, runs Mojave out of nowhere, a process called PerfPowerServices came up and is constantly using my CPU force quitting, shutdown, restart, clear NVRAM, none of these had an effect. any ideas?

    submitted by /u/lordofpc734
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur Icons

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 12:08 AM PDT

    Has anyone got all the Big sur icons as one folder? I want to make an icon pack out of them.

    submitted by /u/theubusu
    [link] [comments]

    Intalled an update on Catalina and when the MacBook restarted remained in this screen and never started... I don't know what to do I already run first aid to the hard drive. Nothing. HELP PLEASE! ��

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    Big Sur Dynamic Wallpapers

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 04:46 PM PDT

    Anyone else think that the Big Sur dynamic wallpapers are so much better than Catalina's? Like each one actually looks nice unlike for Catalina, where the day one was boring

    submitted by /u/jackgap
    [link] [comments]

    appletldposts. has gathered all of the app icons available in macOS 11 Big Sur and made them available to download. These are high-resolution, gathered right from macOS 11.0 Beta 1,

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 06:55 PM PDT

    In-place upgrade to Big Sur or fresh install? Hate Catalina, it always crashes. Able to upgrade to final release?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 09:31 PM PDT

    I have had it on my list of things to do to reinstall Catalina because ever since upgrading from Mojave it crashes if I keep the lid closed overnight and its really annoying. With Big Sur coming out I'm open to the idea of doing that but if I do that am I able to upgrade to the final release?

    My thought is that an in-place upgrade might fix my issues or they may just carry over and the fresh install would be needed.

    submitted by /u/relegatedreddit
    [link] [comments]

    Have any changes to "Spaces" been made in Big Sur?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 04:43 AM PDT

    You know, the desktop switching thing. I use it constantly in Catalina but I can't find anything about it.

    I'd be most interested in full screen apps pinned to particular spaces, or new full screen windows not going to the end of the line.

    submitted by /u/burtgummer45
    [link] [comments]

    Video sorter for multiple copies

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 08:22 PM PDT

    I have a ton of videos with multiple file names, some of them are duplicates with different file names and maybe slightly different sizes. Is there a software that can find similar files and show them to me in an ordered way so I can delete the duplicates? It's kind of hard doing it manually.

    submitted by /u/cutewidddlepuppy
    [link] [comments]

    Problems with Gesture Button of MX Master 3 Mouse in MacOS

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    This weekend I got my Logitech MX Master 3 Mouse and I'm loving it! But there is a problem with the bluetooth connection. When I'm connected to my MacBook Pro with Bluetooth, the gesture button does its function two times per click. So when I want to pause a song, it pauses and plays it immediately. Or when I want to start the launchpad it opens and closes right after I clicked. But this does not happen when I'm connected via the USB adapter coming with the mouse.

    Does anyone have a solution to this?

    submitted by /u/juwi01
    [link] [comments]

    None of the tutorials / web search are helping me at all. It felt like I'm the only person who ever had this problem. I can read and write on my external hard drive, how come I can't further change permissions?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 07:01 AM PDT

    Is there a way to get a dock/panel which shows all open windows?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 04:44 PM PDT

    Finder only includes a dock showing applications, so it doesn't help pick particular windows. Unity has the same limitation. But Gnome 2 included a panel on the bottom of the screen showing all open windows, which made it easy to switch between windows.

    Expose-- usually the F1 key-- can show all open windows, but it flashes as it switches views, and I am sensitive to flashing, so I'd prefer something like the dock or the panel.

    I know Multidock allows a 2nd dock on MacOS, but I don't know if it will show individual windows.

    P.S. Apparently Hyperdock and Activedock can show individual windows. I haven't tried either.

    submitted by /u/Ananiujitha
    [link] [comments]

    macOS on unsupported Macs, worth it?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    Anyone got any input if it's worth the hassle to go with the patched installers to get Mojave or Catalina on a maxed out MacBook Pro (Mid 2010)?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/PlutoDelic
    [link] [comments]

    Nice

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel