• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 21, 2020

    iPad Just some sunday art on the iPad :)

    iPad Just some sunday art on the iPad :)


    Just some sunday art on the iPad :)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 06:01 AM PDT

    Bought a 10.2 and pencil last week, and spent the first few days messing around with Procreate. This is my first finished piece and I’m superbly happy with myself!

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    Afternoon on the Lake. My latest landscape using ProCreate and iPad.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 07:25 AM PDT

    Recent portrait on my iPad Pro

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    Wife's cat portrait. drawn with Procreate on iPad Pro 10.5

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    Designed on iPad Pro with Shapr3D and Apple Pencil 2. Printed using PLA on an Original Prusa i3 MK3S printer.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 07:43 AM PDT

    3 hour portrait as a time lapse, done in procreate

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    A thorough comparison of the Logitech Slim Folio Pro, the Smart Keyboard Folio, and the Magic Keyboard.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    These are the three most-recommended keyboard cases for the iPad Pro, and I am fortunate enough to own all of them. I thought I'd go ahead and compare them all to help anyone in the market for a keyboard case.

    The Logitech Slim Folio Pro is the cheapest of the three at $120. Compared to the others, it's practically a bargain. It has the same color and texture as the Smart Keyboard Folio (dark gray, rubberized feel), and I like it. This is the most "caselike" of all three, as it physically envelops your iPad. It's got really thick rubber bumpers on all corners of the iPad, and I would feel 100% comfortable dropping or even throwing my iPad in this case. Unfortunately, it does make the buttons feel terrible. It also makes the iPad quite heavy, about the same as the Magic Keyboard. The difference is that you typically will use the Magic Keyboard rested on a surface, and will pop the iPad out when you want to hold it and use it like a tablet. By comparison, it's quite difficult to insert and remove the iPad from the Logitech case, so you'll end up holding it with the case folded around back, which makes the whole package very heavy and awkward to use. The case has a little magnetic flap to hold the keyboard closed, which also serves to hold the Apple Pencil in place if you've got one. When the whole thing is closed, the top and bottom halves wiggle about and aren't held tightly together unlike the others. The keyboard is great, easily the best of all three cases. It's backlit, spacious, and has more travel than either of the others. It's even got an F-key row at the top for adjusting brightness and stuff. Unfortunately, it's locked at a single viewing angle, and of course there's no trackpad. It connects via Bluetooth, charges via USB-C, and I only need to charge it once a month.

    The Smart Keyboard Folio is the most portable option, and costs $180. It's not cheap, but it's within reach of most iPad customers. Like all of Apple's iPad Pro cases, it is held on only with magnets, and leaves the sides of the iPad exposed. It's got the same general design as the Logitech case, in that the back has a flexible hinge that lets the base of the iPad magnetically snap into slots in the base. The whole thing is very minimalist, but leaves the iPad quite exposed. If you dropped the iPad in this case, there's a decent chance the corners would get dinged, or it would fall out of the case. Unlike the Logitech case, the whole thing feels great when closed, and all the magnets ensure there's no wiggle anywhere. By far the best thing about this case is how thin and light it is. It seriously doesn't feel much bulkier than a normal folio case without a keyboard. Thanks to the Smart Connector, there's no battery or Bluetooth circuitry, so this thing is seriously portable. It also means you can pop the iPad out of the case really easily. The Apple Pencil is held on only with magnets, and it sometimes falls off in a bag. The keyboard is okay. It has a unsatisfying muffled feel because of the cloth covering, and a sort of annoying clacky sound. I type quite quickly on it, but it's not as enjoyable as the other ones. The layout is fine, but there's no F-keys. Because the whole keyboard is covered in fabric, the keyboard is spillproof, but also absorbs oils from your fingers. This has the unfortunate consequence of leaving fingerprint smudges on your screen wherever the keys touch it. This may seem like a minor thing, but I found it quite annoying, and the smudges are pretty hard to wipe off. There are two typing angles, and I find they work pretty well for lap or desk use. While I mourn the "meh" keyboard, I love how easy it is to switch from typing mode to tablet mode with this case, and I love how little bulk it adds.

    The Magic Keyboard is monstrously expensive, at $300 for the 11". Unlike the other two, it's less of a case and more of a portable "dock," since it can't be folded back or used in portrait. You are expected to remove your iPad from this case whenever you want to draw on it or use it as a tablet. To me, this is a pretty big compromise. While it's nice to be able to just pull off my iPad whenever I want at home, it's more annoying when I'm out and about. Switching between typing and handwritten notes forces you to use the iPad naked, and also requires you to put the Magic Keyboard aside. If you're somewhere with not a lot of space, like a coffee shop or lecture hall, you might have to fold up the MK and put it away, which is just annoying. This case is very well-built, and feels the most solid of the three. It also has the same rubberized gray finish as the others, which I don't expect to hold up well having seen the other two age. The hinge feels very sturdy and smooth when you open it, and it's made of metal. The cantilevered design makes the iPad float above the keyboard, which looks great. Practically speaking, it's more of a mixed bag. While it moves the screen closer to you and encourages you to use the touchscreen more, it also makes the whole contraption's center of gravity higher, making it all a little top heavy. As a result, it does feel a little less stable on my lap than the other two cases. It also causes my fingers to brush against the bottom of the iPad on occasion when I reach for the top row of keys. The range of angles is pretty limited, but it hasn't been too much of an issue for me. The only time I wish it could tilt back further is when using it on my lap. Like the SKF, the iPad (and Pencil) is just held in with magnets, so don't expect much drop protection. That being said, the magnets holding in the iPad are definitely stronger here. When everything is closed, it's about as thick as a MacBook Pro, and more than twice as heavy. I can live with the additional thickness, but the weight is really noticeable.

    The keyboard is excellent, and feels pretty much the same as the keyboard on the 2015 retina MacBook Pros. It's not quite as springy and nice as the Logitech one, but it's very nearly as good. Backlighting is nice and even, and works with the ambient light sensor. Adjusting it manually is a huge pain since there's no F-key row. Apple should at least include a keyboard shortcut for this. The trackpad is this case's defining feature. From a hardware perspective, it's okay. You can click anywhere, but the click requires a little more pressure than I'd like. The surface is identical to MacBook trackpads, but of course much smaller. On the 11", it's a little too small to be really comfortable. Scrolling webpages and feeds is cramped on this trackpad, and I often end up using the screen for this. The trackpad shines when it comes to text editing. Selecting text and moving the cursor has always sucked on iPads, but having a proper trackpad fixes that. Once I turned off the horrendous cursor inertia enabled by default, software support for the trackpad is very good. I like the way it snaps onto buttons and selectable elements, and the gestures are all great. It's a marked improvement to using a mouse on iPadOS. The main issue is that plenty of apps don't support the trackpad properly. For example, Outlook and all of Google's suite of apps don't properly support gestures or even text cursor support. Even in Safari, the integration isn't all the way there. Some video players fail to recognize when I move my cursor over them, so I have to click or tap to get them to show playback controls. Ironically, I feel like this case takes some of the "magic" away from the iPad. Rather than being a super light and versatile device that can do anything, the Magic Keyboard forces you to choose between a somewhat clunky laptop-like device or a completely naked iPad. While it does significantly enhance the laptop experience of the iPad, it also creates friction between the "tablet" and "laptop" experience. Sometimes I'll pull the iPad off the Magic Keyboard, and then move somewhere else in my house using the naked tablet. Then, when I want to bang out an email or do some other typing, I either have to go back and get the Magic Keyboard, or use the on-screen keyboard. With the Smart Keyboard Folio, the keyboard is always there, and it never feels too cumbersome to switch from "tablet" to "laptop" mode.

    The TL;DR for each of these cases goes something like this:

    Logitech Slim Folio: Excellent protection, best keyboard, and moderately priced, but very thick and heavy, must be charged, and has only one viewing angle.

    Smart Keyboard Folio: Thinnest, lightest, and best-looking keyboard case, but it's quite pricey, the keyboard is mediocre, offers little protection, and there's only two viewing angles.

    Magic Keyboard: Well-built, adjustable angles, very good keyboard, has a trackpad!!, but thick and very heavy, offers little protection, forces you to use the iPad naked, design isn't for everyone, and of course it's outrageously priced.

    Overall, I think most people will be happiest either using an external Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, or using the Smart Keyboard Folio. The Logitech case is just too bulky for me to recommend, and the fact that it's only got a single viewing angle kind of sucks. I'd only recommend it if protection is a major concern. The Magic Keyboard has the biggest "wow" factor with its design and trackpad, but for the price it just has too many compromises. The MK is really only a great buy if you absolutely 100% need the trackpad, and even then, buying an external Magic Trackpad might be a better option if you don't plan to use it on your lap. The Smart Keyboard Folio is thin and light enough that I still feel like I'm using an iPad, it looks great, and gives you the option to either fold it back or take it off easily. The keyboard is unfortunately not that great, but I think most people will be fine with it.

    submitted by /u/seditiousseals
    [link] [comments]

    Trackpad and keyboard general questions

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    I just got the Logitech touch combo for my basic ipad, but have had a very frustrating time using it. I searched for the answer to these questions, but could not find them anywhere. I watched YouTube tutorials and they didn't even touch on it.

    1) Is it not possible to double tap on the track pad to select text?

    Example double tapping a paragraph to select it within safari so I can copy and paste. Right now I have to actually click down on the trackpad to select anything and its super awkward. There is not enough space and I can't maneuver like I could on a surface pro for example.

    2) How do I copy and paste once I do actually select the text? Are there trackpad gestures? Keyboard shortcuts?

    When I do hard press to select text how do I copy and paste with using just the keyboard? It just highlights the text blue and I have to touch the screen to get the black copy/share/look up sub menu. How do I get that menu with out touching the screen with in safari? Because I can just tap with two fingers outside of safari and it shows up, but not with in safari.

    3) How the hell do you turn off the bar at the bottom when using keyboard?

    When using the keyboard there is a gray bar at the bottom of the screen that pops up and shows predictive text. On certain sites I use it when I'm not even typing it pops up and forces me to resize safari consistently. It's so annoying. It also sometimes using the horrible auto correct of ipad os 13 gives me wrong words all the time and actually adds errors to my typing instead of minimizing them.

    submitted by /u/fighterzalt
    [link] [comments]

    Any use for an iPad with destroyed screen?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    My old iPads screen is completely destroyed but everything else about it works perfectly, and because of that it seems like a huge waste to have it sitting there collecting dust.

    Is there anything at all that I can use it for without needing a screen?

    submitted by /u/Cillygaming
    [link] [comments]

    SopiGuard Magic keyboard textured “leather” skin. I think it looks great! Their site says it may leave some residue if/when removed but it can be easily cleaned off. NO MORE FINGERPRINTS! Haha

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 06:36 PM PDT

    Is there a downside to getting the USB C to USB adapter instead of a USB C to lightning cable?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    I just got an iPad Pro 11 inch 2020, and I was looking at options to charge my iPhone and AirPods with the iPad. I have the choice between getting a USB C to USB adapter in which i could connect a lightning cable (I have plenty of those), as well as any other USB devices, or I could just get a USB C to lightning cable. Both options cost the same in Canada.

    I am obviously leaning towards the USB C to USB adapter for versatility, but I was wondering if there are any benefits in getting the USB C to Lightning cable instead.

    submitted by /u/Sandvich89
    [link] [comments]

    How to Scan 3D Objects and Convert them to 3D files on your iPad using Qlone

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    iPad and Magic Keyboard, is there a product you like to make it more comfortable to use on the couch?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 10:10 PM PDT

    I find that the magic keyboard has some sharp edges, and it's top heavy so it tends to want to fall backwards in the lap.

    Is there anything that you would recommend to make it more comfortable to use?

    submitted by /u/solideliquid
    [link] [comments]

    USA PSA: Have a cellular iPad? You can get unlimited 4G and 10gb of hotspot for $15 right now at Sprint. Without any additional lines!

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 06:21 PM PDT

    No I'm not sponsored I just thought this was a great deal. That's $15 FLAT a month. Postpaid no contract.

    You can do it all through the website just put in your IMEI, I was going to get a SIM card but as soon as I finished paying a message popped up on my iPad that said Sprint was ready to activate! No SIM needed.

    https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring-your-phone-to-sprint.html?INTCID=LP:BYOD:ELIGIBILITY:TABLET&flow=BYOD#imeimeid

    Oh and fair warning - they do an instant credit check. Don't worry though my credit is abysmal and they had no problem. And you have to do autopay for the $5/mo discount to get $15/mo.

    submitted by /u/bdonvr
    [link] [comments]

    No clear way of alternating the Magic Keyboard with my Macbook and iPad? When I connect it to the iPad my MacBook forgets the keyboard...

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 05:03 AM PDT

    Is there a way? It seems iCloud does not save keyboards and mouses.

    submitted by /u/Pastoss
    [link] [comments]

    iPads

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    This will be my second post on reddit, so I'm not sure if this is directed at the correct subreddit (please let me know if this post would be better suited in another forum!). Anyways, I have a handful of iPads, some old, some newer. 2 are physically damaged, the other 2 are either old or cannot be used… I am hoping to get the most out of all of them, be it one solid, functional iPad, or a couple that will actually power on. The end game here is to create an iPad that can run a script that I plan to write for my grandmother, who is in an assisted living facility, to run facetime with options to videochat with a handful of family members (separately, or together) on startup, as I won't be able to enter the facility. Here is a list of what's on hand.

    Ipad air 2 (iPad A)Model A1566

    --- This iPad is still fully functional, however the battery has distended so far as to "pop" the display away from the components.

    Ipad mini 2 (iPad B)Model A1490

    --- This iPad's screen had shattered, and, being curious, I took a heat gun to the remnants and removed its guts…

    Ipad 4th gen (iPad C)Model A1458

    --- This iPad was purchased from craigslist, and upon attempting to power on, it looks like the account associated with it has been locked - seller has no info on this.. It does power up, and is in the best condition of the group.

    Ipad mini wifi only 1st gen (iPad D)Model A1432

    --- Though this iPad powers on and operates as it should, it is very old and cannot support any newer app downloads. (is there a way to upgrade its OS to be able to support more apps?)

    My thought is that I may be able to transfer the components from iPad A or B in to iPad C's housing. I realize this is to be a tall order, but, seeing as how I've had all this free time on my hands as of late, I'm committed to putting in the hours (or days..). My question is this – is what I'm proposing remotely possible? Are display/battery/MB components compatible with one another across models? Any information would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has tried to attempt something like this, or even some links to some breakdowns or other applicable literature! Attached are some pictures. Thank you in advance, Jeff.

    P.S. - I have all necessary tools and a moderate knowledge of computer components and construction

    submitted by /u/diamonj91
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel