• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 30, 2020

    Apple Macbook Love my 2011 17 incher everyday. Upgraded to SSD and works like brand new.

    Apple Macbook Love my 2011 17 incher everyday. Upgraded to SSD and works like brand new.


    Love my 2011 17 incher everyday. Upgraded to SSD and works like brand new.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    2017 13" MacBook Pro Keyboard Replacement Program - MY

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    Yet another post about this. But my case, I'm somewhere where we don't have Apple Store here in Malaysia. We only have Apple Authorized Reseller or Service Center. Owned by other entity.

    So, my shift key started to get wonky because I use that a lot in programming. I got tired of it, I decided to send it over through Apple Support website, choose a store to set an appointment. In my mind, I don't really care if I have to pay hefty price. After all, it was out of warranty even with the keyboard replacement program, my chances are low here at my place. Hear my story below.

    I know I'm a bit f up because my current battery is bloated and dying. I got bad battery made by Simplo LTD, 150 cycles over 3 years, 60% health – also probably because it's generally warm/hot here in Malaysia. With that, my trackpad also slightly bulging up, a little less than 1mm but I noticed and can feel it through the outline bump. Contacted a few AAR stores before and they quoted me $250 for it. Which I decided not to change because I'm committed to get an iFixit kit instead but too bad, they ran out of stock apparently. I asked them too about the keyboard replacement program and most of the them said, rarely any store in Malaysia will change the entire bottom case + battery and whatever else comes with it. Only the keyboard and if they 'think' it's time to change the battery together because the older battery is unfit for re-installation, you will have to pay for the battery replacement.

    Long story short, with shift key broken and bad battery, at this rate $250 is something I need to invest. I chose an AAR named iTworld located near to my home/office. Sent it over, with $0 on the service order. Of course the SO will change after they finish the repair progress. They said, if they found other stuff got damaged, they might charge me for that repair and of course if I'm okay with that. No forcing or whatsoever but I'm expecting they gonna talk about my battery and charge me for that.

    7 days later, received an email telling me that my MacBook Pro is ready to pick up. Went there today, pick it up and first thing I noticed, new bottom case. They said they only changed the keyboard. But obviously my 3 years of god know what stuff been sticking on the speaker grill and palm area (not dirty, just aged with dead skin). I talked with them, telling them that this is entirely new and they insist, keep saying nope it's my old stuff and the only thing they changed was the keyboard. The reason I'm pushing them to tell me because I couldn't wait for the bill I have to pay.

    I cut them to the chase and ask for the bill, and they said they got me covered. That's it. I just have to sign the form that I already pick up my MacBook and I'm free to flee with my semi-new MacBook.

    End up I'm getting new keyboard (probably the same gen but new is new), new battery thank god and new bottom case. That all for $0 in a country that don't have Apple Store and known for not being generous like the other stores like in the US.

    Thanks to this subreddit, after reading many good stories about this replacement program, even one guy got a free upgrade because his got dented while in repair, I'm glad that I went the right way and saved me $250 from the battery replacement alone, or $150 for the iFixit kit version plus another price tag for the keyboard replacement if I voided some stuff inside with that iFixit kit.

    submitted by /u/anazhd
    [link] [comments]

    Best cover/case for 2020 MacBook Air

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:04 PM PDT

    I had to get a new laptop -my old one decided to go basically kaput. And my new MacBook is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

    I'm kind of clumsy and even though I'm still in quarantine - I want a good case. I've only used hard shell but some research shows me that might not be the best option.

    I don't want it to be too heavy but I want it to be protective. If it can be a case and shell when in use that would be perfect. (And extra points if it comes in multiple colors)

    submitted by /u/SamScoopCooper
    [link] [comments]

    2020 MacBook Pro Overheating?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:27 AM PDT

    I bought a brand new 2020 13 inch MBP about a month or so ago and I noticed for the past week I've been using it it begins to overheat and the fans kick on very loudly after about 10 minutes of usage. I don't have many apps or tabs open, I don't use up a lot of the storage either if that has anything to do with it.

    This is the first mac I've had this problem with so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do I am all ears. Should I call customer service and tell them the issue? It just seems odd for a brand new macbook

    submitted by /u/lilns31
    [link] [comments]

    Paradox of Choice ��

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:07 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I've made a post here looking for some help pick the right laptop for me : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-and-ipad-pro.2243667/

    If you can have a read and share any thoughts, either here or on Macrumors, I'd really appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/designbymiz
    [link] [comments]

    16” current model is like $600-700 more

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    is the 2015-2018 Retina MacBook THAT bad?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:55 PM PDT

    hey. i need a new laptop for college, budget of around $700 and my main choices are a MacBook or the 2018 iPad Pro.

    i was doing some looking on Swappa and i found the unloved 12" Retina MacBook sitting there for pretty good prices (~$500)

    i don't need insane amounts of power, i don't even need a lot of power. i just need something that'll get me by on Zoom, MS Office/GDocs, and just light or medium web browsing.

    i know that those MacBooks aren't really the best at all, but i think it could hold me over until Apple Silicon Macs become available.

    should i go for one of these or should i stay away from these like the plague? if i should avoid them, what should i go for?

    thanks!!

    submitted by /u/jamariiiiiiii
    [link] [comments]

    Desktop background resets after restarting computer

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    I recently bought a new MacBook. Every time I restart the device, the desktop that I have saved reverts back to one of the presets. Any idea how to fix this issue?

    submitted by /u/sraff57
    [link] [comments]

    is this possible?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:00 PM PDT

    i ordered on the apple website for the macbook deal + airpods but i realized apple stores opened up near me. the airpods have already shipped and they charged me. is it possible to just pick up the macbook at the apple store instead of waiting till mid july?

    submitted by /u/ffbrittney
    [link] [comments]

    My laptop constantly runs at 80-90c :|

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 02:10 PM PDT

    My laptop constantly runs at 80-90c :|

    Is this normal? (MacBook Air, 2017 13")

    I took this screenshot with 3 apps open (Firefox, Discord, Teams)

    https://preview.redd.it/178sbm7w44851.png?width=198&format=png&auto=webp&s=81232dd8c351907ebabd3476cba7db2d7f42b107

    submitted by /u/NA-Bowzah-130
    [link] [comments]

    Another “should I buy this”

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    My fiancé has an old macbook pro 13 that she says she's fine with using (has the early 2015 MBP), but I kind of want to get her an upgrade. I've been looking at the educational/back-to-school deals and am thinking of getting the macbook air 13"

    Is apple's deal a good deal ($899+)? I plan on getting the lowest specs since she only uses it to write docs and web browse. She might require better processing power since her work requires her to use some program with simulations and such on it, but I heard the new macbook air is pretty powerful, even with the lowest specs.

    In other words, is it worth to get the new macbook air? Thanks for your insight!

    submitted by /u/_yellofello
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook 2012-2015 in 2020

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    Hello fellow macbookers. In the past I owned a few MacBook Airs and I'm really starting to miss one. So I was wondering if any of you are still using the MacBook Air from 2012-2015 with 4gb of ram and how are they performing in general everyday use? Are they still usable in 2020? Or should I get 8gb or ram? I'm planning on running Mavericks on it and useing it for mail, web, movies just general everyday use. Thank you for you replies.

    submitted by /u/sarlatan747
    [link] [comments]

    Help me and my gf with her MacBook Air 2013

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 02:36 PM PDT

    I hope that this is an okay post to put here, I've also posted it in r/macbookrepair but I thought that I might aswell put it here as there will be more people seeing it here. So here's the post and issue:

    Hello everybody, my girlfriend has a problem with her MacBook Air 2013, as it suddenly won't boot.

    When you insert the charger, it glows green for about 2 seconds, and then turns orange. It won't boot at all, no sounds, lights, fans, screen movement, nothing happens. What I've tried is: -Tried to reset the SMC, when doing so, the charger glows green for 2 seconds, then turns to orange again. -Had it on charge for over an hour, changed nothing. -Kept the powerbutton down for 10 seconds, also tried to start it while inserting the charger and pressing the powerbutton at the exact same time, but still nothing.

    Tomorrow I'll open it up to see if anything seems broken, I'm not an expert but I might see something. I have a suspicion that moist in the air has something to do with this, as it has been in our basement living room for a couple of days, and at night it gets really moist and cold there. So it's now on charge upstairs so that any moist might dry up during the night. The wierd thing is that it has been multiple times in that basement, quite a lot of night in the 7 years she's had it but there's never been an issue with it, but this happened all of a sudden, we watched a movie on it 2 days ago and at that time it was working perfectly.

    So I need you guys help with this, she has a lot of important stuff on this Mac and it would mean the world to both me and her with any help possible before we leave it in for service.

    Have a nice morning, day or night everybody. -Benni

    submitted by /u/Benze2244
    [link] [comments]

    Which 16 inch MacBook Pro should I purchase?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:45 AM PDT

    I currently using a mid 2012 MBP I bought new in fall of 2013. I installed a new battery, 16 gigs of RAM and a 1 TB SSD. I am hoping that I can get another year and a half out of it. 80% of my computer usages involves just basic tasks (i.e., watching Youtube videos and word documents). The other 20% is using Logic Pro X and very basic video editing (i.e., syncing audio files to video in iMovie).

    I want to have an "idea" of what I should buy if my mid 2012 MBP shat out on my unexpectedly. I was looking at getting a 16 inch MBP.

    Some questions I am:

    1. 6 core vs 8 core. I have heard that the 8 core is only really "needed" if you have very intense workloads (i.e., video editing in Final Cut Pro, coding, etc.). I assume I would just want to get the 6 core for my needs?
    2. 16 vs 32 gigs of RAM. I was leaning more towards 32 gigs just to "future proof" it as it seems like 16 gigs of RAM is soon to be the "minimal" amount of RAM needed for basic tasks.
    3. 1 TB vs 2 TB SSD. Currently on my 1 TB SSD I have only used 390 gigs. Leaning more towards
      1 TB as I can always used an external hard drive.

    I appreciate any replies!

    submitted by /u/CoolEmoDude
    [link] [comments]

    I’m looking to buy a macbook air 2020 but...

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:20 AM PDT

    I'm a high school student and i also take college classes which means i do countless projects, essays, and homework non-stop. I have also never had a mac or used one so i'm really debating wether it suits me or not. I know for a fact the pro isn't what i need because it has functions i won't use for the price but the air seems suitable for me. Is it worth it for me from your perspective? Also, if you're a student and have it, what's your experience from using it?

    submitted by /u/bedroum
    [link] [comments]

    Heading to College

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    As title says, I'm heading to graphic design school this fall. I currently have a ASUS Zephorous computer that I use to edit on. I am wanting to switch to MacBook (used to have an Air).

    My question is... Do I buy a 16in MacBook Pro i9 now? Or wait for the new Apple Silicon Pro coming out at the end of this year?

    Thanks for the feedback!

    submitted by /u/Shurican4
    [link] [comments]

    syncing contacts between contacts and messages

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 09:08 AM PDT

    hi all,

    I have an old mac that can only run on iOS X yosemity version 10.10.15. I'm having trouble getting my contacts to sync with messages. My contacts are accessible in the contacts application but I can't get them to appear in messages. I've tried looking up solutions but can't find any.

    any help appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Maleficent_Cranberry
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get my hopes up for the estimated date or expect further delays? MBP 13”

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 12:46 PM PDT

    MBP 13" or 16"?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    I'm going to be updating from a 2017 MacBook Pro to either the 13" ( 2Ghz Quad Core, 16gb Memory, 512GbSSD), or 16"(2.6Ghz 6 core, 16gb memory, 512gb SSD). I'm looking on thoughts or if anyone has either, on how they compare. My wife doesn't want me to have the 16", thinks it will be too heavy on my lap. I do travel off and on and have a good bag to carry it, so that's not the issue. Just looking on some general feedback before I pull the trigger this Thursday. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/chrisalk54
    [link] [comments]

    Can it be MacBook Pro 2015? It’s 13”.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    Macbook pro 15' and 60W charging

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    Macbook pro 15' and 60W charging

    Hello,

    I have Macbook pro 15' 2017 and LG 34uc99, which enables me to charge my laptop with USB-C, but only with 60W. I would like to ask if this could somehow corrupt my battery. I am asking because ma MacBook started wobbling a little bit (front pads are a bit in the air - not much you can fit paper under them). The bottom or top of the MacBook is not visually damaged or swollen, but it feels like that MacBook touching table with its belly. Is it possible this could be caused by charging with 60W USB-C?

    Charging was ok, I was always at 100%. My battery stats looks good.

    https://preview.redd.it/3ikn9rgd83851.png?width=510&format=png&auto=webp&s=0e3bf37e9ca06525ea491e106bf52ee068d236a7

    submitted by /u/CJHornster
    [link] [comments]

    Shutdown issues faulty or common ?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 06:52 AM PDT

    Does anyone else get a weird flash sometimes when they shutdown ? on my 2020 MBA air sometimes when I shutdown before the screen goes black I get this weird red/green flash. Does this happen to anyone else ? is there a fix for it ?

    submitted by /u/MUTSellerPS4
    [link] [comments]

    Is a MacBook 13inches 2015 worth buy today?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    I am getting and amazing deal for a used MacBook 13 2015 ,i5 dual core,8gigs ram, and a 512 gb ssd. Is it a good laptop, my requirements are pretty basic YouTube Netflix online classes.

    submitted by /u/Sahilgumber708
    [link] [comments]

    Can't decide whether to wait for ARM Macbook Pro - Dualbooting for gaming

    Posted: 30 Jun 2020 10:08 AM PDT

    I was planning to buy the new 16-inch Macbook Pro, however I am concerned since I know that Apple is moving away from Intel and is transitioning all of their Macbooks to ARM chips. This makes me concerned that the machine would stop being supported after a few years, and since it's so expensive I would prefer to use it for 5+ years as I have my previous Macbook.

    However, I understand that I won't be able to Dualboot Windows on the new Macbooks, which is an issue because I want to use it for gaming. I would still be able to run Windows as a virtual machine, but I don't know if this would be practical for games.

    Does anyone have any experience playing PC games on a virtual machine? Or would I be best just to buy the Intel Macbook and hope for the best?

    submitted by /u/crowstep
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel