• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 13, 2019

    macOS As a Brit, my favourite feature of Catalina is that ‘Trash’ has been renamed ‘Bin’ :-)

    macOS As a Brit, my favourite feature of Catalina is that ‘Trash’ has been renamed ‘Bin’ :-)


    As a Brit, my favourite feature of Catalina is that ‘Trash’ has been renamed ‘Bin’ :-)

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    very annoying Catalina(?) issue that keeps switching the active window. Help!?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 07:56 AM PDT

    Anyone else kind annoyed with all the security prompts?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 04:10 PM PDT

    Like I get it, and I appreciate what Apple is doing to harden macOS. But the security prompts have gone overboard in my opinion. I never had the pleasure of using Vista, but it sounds comparable to that.

    submitted by /u/tom_cruising
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know why my Mac is doing this?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 08:18 PM PDT

    Search not working in Preview after updating to Catalina

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 10:34 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    After updating to Catalina, the find/search feature in Preview hasn't been working very well. I've linked a video below to give an explanation, though basically what has happened is I've tried searching a specific term in a PDF textbook and Preview will 'recognise' the search term on a page but won't highlight the term in yellow. The weird part is that it does this for some pages but not for others.

    In my video example, I search a very common word, 'extension', and it shows up highlighted on some pages but not on others. In the thumbnails on the left-hand side you can see all the pages where the search recognises the word somewhere on the page, but when I click on the page or try to click "next" it's not highlighting the term or going to the next word.

    I'm having this same issue in other, smaller documents (this textbook is 600 pages but I am getting the same issue in 20-page PDF's).

    I didn't have this issue before updating to Catalina.

    Has anybody else had a similar experience/know a work-around?

    Thanks.

    Video of me searching: https://streamable.com/31ros

    submitted by /u/Throwaway00113398
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro 15" not Syncing now with iPhone or iPad after Catalina and new iOS

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 12:20 AM PDT

    After updating to the new Catalina on my Mac and the new iOS on my iPhone and iPad, I am not able to sync over the cable to either device or back them up. It acts like it will start, but keeps disconnecting and battery charge indication stops and starts. I've confirmed it's not the cable as I have plugged it into a usb port on my power strip and the charger icon is solid and doesn't flash off and on....I can't even back up my devices because they keep appearing and reappearing in the Music app and I am taking my iPad to the Apple store tomorrow to exchange for a new one (cracked screen under warranty).

    Anyone else having this issue and if so what's the fix??

    submitted by /u/donknottsatemyballs
    [link] [comments]

    IPSW Files location - MacOS Catalina

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 02:44 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I just updated to the latest version of MacOS Catalina and I wanted to know where IPSW files downloaded through the finder app for iPhones etc. are located?

    I checked the "~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates" directory but I can't find it as iTunes is now discontinued.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/aymanbt
    [link] [comments]

    My Macbook 101 Stuck in this screen

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 02:43 AM PDT

    macOS Catalina: Mail Notifications—Does Anyone Know Why the "Archive" Option Is Not There Anymore?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 08:14 PM PDT

    Issues with iCloud/Apple ID login with Catalina

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 09:54 PM PDT

    I've had an absolute nightmare time trying to set up my new iPhone 11 Pro Max, and it's been made worse by what I believe to be issues with Catalina and logging in with my Apple ID. Messages, Facetime, and App Store are all failing to login with my Apple ID. Messages and Facetime actually give a failure "An error occured during authentication" message, while the App Store just retriggers the login despite entering the password.

    Does anyone have any solutions with this? It took me all day today to realize that it could be something wrong with my Apple ID, as I wasn't even able to login on my iPhone either until I created an entirely new Apple ID and scrapped my old one. Now my iPhone is all logged in, but where my girlfriends iPhone 11 Pro Max has a "Text Message Forwarding" option under Settings > Messages, no such option exists on my iPhone... ? I'm assuming this is the option I want to be able to enable communication for Messages between devices.

    Even more confusing is the fact that I guess Catalina doesn't have an Enable option in Messages or Facetime preferences either anymore. You used to be able to click an Enable option in the Messages Preferences on Mac...

    I've spent hours resetting network settings, rebooting and resetting the entire phone and starting from scratch, and everything in between. Looking for solid answers, or at least an understanding that Catalina has a huge bug in it that is going to be fixed sooner or later.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/PantsTheDapper
    [link] [comments]

    Temperature monitoring for Macbook Pro

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 09:40 PM PDT

    I recently bought the Systemx: cpu & monitoring from the apple app store for $2.99. I downloaded and immediately it told me a new version was available. It then took to iGlance at github and I downloaded that. It seems to be the identical app just with a different name. Does anyone know about these apps and/or know of a better app that helps monitor the temp of my macbook pro?

    submitted by /u/Dgoldfe13
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else annoyed that in the music app when you click an album it goes to a new window?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 09:31 AM PDT

    Why did they remove the feature where you click the album, it expands, then you can keep scrolling through your library...

    Really upset about this one. You think it will ever come back?

    submitted by /u/trisalias
    [link] [comments]

    How can I rollback from Catalina to Mojave?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 06:47 PM PDT

    Can anyone tell me how to downgrade back to Mojave please? Haven't been able to find an answer so far through searching.

    I always wait a few months before installing system updates, but I've been so enamored with the iOS's TV app and the way it connects to all my streaming services, that I pulled the trigger and upgraded to Catalan. Now I discovered that I can only stream through Apple TV services, but more importantly, most of my Steam games won't run. Definitely chilling with Mojave until some efficient 3rd party 32-bit loader is released (if that's even possible).

    submitted by /u/LukesRightHandMan
    [link] [comments]

    Boardroom discussions...

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    Location based services not working

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 08:06 PM PDT

    After the Catalina update location services are not working on my Air. I tried maps, Google maps, weather etc,. Nothing works, I get prompt saying your location can't be determined right now

    I also toggled the location services from the settings, tried restarting, but nothing seems to be working.

    If anyone else is facing the same issue or knows how to fix this please let me know.

    submitted by /u/ajaygoku
    [link] [comments]

    AptX support in macOS Catalina Public Release?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 04:12 PM PDT

    Is anyone able to connect their non-apple headphones to Catalina using aptX codec? I'm trying my Sennheiser PXC550 and they default to SBC. Even when I try Force AptX in Bluetooth explorer, after multiple resets, nothing is able to switch it to aptX. I also tried selecting input to MacBook microphone instead of headset microphone, no luck :(

    At this point I'm just hoping they didn't remove aptX support...

    submitted by /u/octa_core
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone else had the problem with Apple Home app in Catalina where the tiles are not showing anything, see the screen shot. This has happened to me in the Catalina betas and now the final release is no different. Im on MacBook Air 4,1

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 04:59 PM PDT

    A brightness slider app that works on the cursor?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 07:07 PM PDT

    I use a Mac Mini, and I'm accustomed to having quick, on-demand brightness adjustment from my years on a MacBook, but my monitor doesn't allow for any within-macOS brightness adjustment. I tried Brightness Slider and QuickShade from the App Store, and both of them work pretty well, except for the cursor never dims, which gets annoying quickly. Shades, an obsolete app from years ago, actually does work on the cursor, but it's semi-broken, I can't change any settings such as disabling the floating slider or making hotkeys work. I'm running Mojave. Any suggestions much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/smalldrop
    [link] [comments]

    How do I drag and drop music to my iPhone on Catalina?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 04:14 PM PDT

    I recently upgraded to Catalina, and I do like the look and most of the features. However, I absolutely do not like any streaming music platforms and have a library of almost 20,000 MP3 files. For years I didn't mind being able to download an album, import it to iTunes and then drag it over to my phone. It seems now that the entire music library needs to be sync'd , which is terrible for me because I don't like to keep all of my music on my computer, or there's a "playlist" workaround I see people posting about but I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

    Halp?

    submitted by /u/yanqui_u_x_o
    [link] [comments]

    For those trying to go back to Mojave, here is what I did maybe it will help you if you are having problems

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    I won't go into why I downgraded.

    I have a USB C macbook pro 15 if that matters.

    My first instinct was to create a bootable Mojave USB, I couldn't find a regular USB drive so I used an SDHC memory card in my usb c hub and created a mojave installer. I couldn't boot to the memory card because the hub must not activate on startup.

    Attempt 2, I had a usb c to usb old adapter so next day I found a flash drive and created a new installer.

    This time I was able to boot to the drive, but when I went to do the install, the computer started acting wonky, it would start to install, then the fan would spin up really fast and then it would restart.

    I went back in and did an erase drive, then I was able to successfully install mojave.

    I then tried to connect to my time machine on my "WD My Cloud", it would recognize the disk, but it kept getting stuck on "searching".

    Attempt 3, I tried rebooting into recovery mode and then I could connect to the wifi and time machine. This restore was going to take 10-12 hours this way. I was going to leave it over night, but after about an hour I decided to see what was up with it and it had crapped out. The WiFi disconnected when the screen went to sleep. I tried it again and same thing as soon as the screen would go off then WiFi would disconnect too. So dumb that they didn't code it to be smart enough to recognize you were trying to restore so you need to keep the wifi on.

    Attempt 4, I thought the only thing left would be to try to connect to my network the old fashioned way, I went and bought a USB to ethernet adapter. This actually worked pretty well, I was able to restore in about 2 hours without issue.

    TLDR; Restoring with migration assistant wont work, restoring over the wifi wont work, restoring in recovery mode by ethernet will work.

    submitted by /u/sghokie
    [link] [comments]

    Mac OS Catalina External Screen Blinks when turning on. Anyone with this problem?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 03:13 AM PDT

    New Catalina feature: Option-clicking the Wi-Fi icon shows your IPv6 address instead of your IPv4 one

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 05:14 PM PDT

    Issue with Safari not playing videos through Netflix and Amazon Prime Video

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 08:53 PM PDT

    Hi.

    I'm attempting to play videos through Netflix and Amazon Prime video from my 2018 MacBook Pro (i7, RX560X, 16GB RAM) to an external monitor (LG 27UL600). I am on macOS Catalina with Safari 13.0.2. I have my laptop connected to a Targus thunderbolt 3 dock and the monitor connected via HDMI 2.0. I am also

    The issue is that videos through those streaming services aren't displaying any video. I'm getting audio though. The reason why I am trying Safari over Chrome, FireFox, etc. is that Safari supports 1080p on Netflix and is the only one in my testing that seems to allow for HD streaming on Prime Video. The video streaming work in other browsers, just in lower resolution.

    submitted by /u/the_man_with_a_plane
    [link] [comments]

    sudo permission denied in /usr/

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 08:48 PM PDT

    I'm following some old openGL tutorial (if you have any suggestions for easier to learn C++ 2d graphics libraries, let me know) and I need to add some headers to /usr/include. Problem is, I seem to have no write permissions in /usr/.

    This has always been a personal computer and I'm an administrator, obviously.

    It looks like roots should have all the appropriate permissions: drwxr-xr-x@ 12 root wheel 408 Feb 8 2018 usr

    Sudo works appropriately in the root directory but in usr I can't mkdir, touch, etc.

    I confirmed with "sudo -s", "id" that it's setting me up with uid 0.

    I can't find anything else online and I didn't even know this kinda thing could happen. I'm very confused. Please help.

    submitted by /u/caustic_kiwi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel