• Breaking News

    Monday, October 14, 2019

    Apple Macbook Macbook Thunderbolt to HDMI: TV not showing up as an audio device

    Apple Macbook Macbook Thunderbolt to HDMI: TV not showing up as an audio device


    Macbook Thunderbolt to HDMI: TV not showing up as an audio device

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 08:48 PM PDT

    I have a used Macbook (made in 2009). I bought a thunderbolt cable to connect to an HDMI to connect to a Roku tv. The video works fine. The audio only plays through the Macbook speakers and not through the TV.

    Given that the tv is not showing up as an audio device at all, how do I get the sound to play through the tv?

    Screenshot links are below

    Display is working

    Audio is not

    submitted by /u/Regjohn0
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know how to pause a Quicktime recording in Catalina?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 01:22 PM PDT

    Freaking Mac Battery

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:36 PM PDT

    I have the MacBook early 2015 version and I think my battery just completely died.

    Often times I would have to reset the SMC just to get it to turn on. I also noticed that the battery would only last 1-1.5 hours after being fully charged. And this is me just browsing twitter, fb etc.

    I left it on 20% last night. Today I go to use it and it's not coming on. I put it on the charger for 10 minutes, and still...nothing. I figure, ok let's reset the SMC for the 183833 time. I tried that and it's still not responding. Normally when resetting the SMC I am able to click the mousepad but this time, I can't do that. It's like the laptop is completely dead.

    I just got off the phone with Apple who said to bring it in for repair. If it's the battery, the replacement would be $199.

    Does anyone have any other ways I could get my Mac to come on? Also, if I do replace the battery, will I lose all of my data?

    submitted by /u/2lit_
    [link] [comments]

    $100 Trashed MacBook Pro Restoration & Rebuild

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 01:05 AM PDT

    Got my mack book, came with Sierra. Can/Should I upgrade? Catalina? Mojave? High Sierra?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:22 PM PDT

    Got my mac book. It came with Sierra but I noticed I had the ability to upgrade to Catalina but I am not sure about the other ones. Out of all of three potential upgrades, which one should I choose? I plan on video editing/streaming with my mac book

    EDIT: sorry for the typo in thee title lol.. cant edit it.

    submitted by /u/falcorn223
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro Touchbar Safari problem

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 02:22 PM PDT

    Hi guys! i have a macbook pro touchbar. The thing is i droped it and now my touchbar is not visibile, if i press it it's ok, the commands are still responsive. When i watch Youtube videos sometimes it fast fowards withouth me touching it (only in Safari) Can i deactivate this function? IF i press the touchbar in Safari while watching youtube it skips forward, it does not do this in Google Chrome or Firefox.

    submitted by /u/asimovcostel
    [link] [comments]

    my keyboard on my macbook air 2017 doesn’t work except the power button?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 12:43 PM PDT

    it's so weird, my computer died so i plugged it in and now the keyboard doesn't work. it says i have to enter my password to get in by i can't use the keys.... only the power button works

    submitted by /u/hahayeahaz
    [link] [comments]

    USB Ports no longer charging iPhone

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    I was wondering if anyone had a solution to this problem. I own a mid 2015 macbook pro and for some reason, the USB ports will no longer charge my iPhone X (running 12.4). It seems to charge other USB decives fine and read USB sticks. I tried resetting SMC and did the NVRAM reset...nothing seems to work. I only really had this problem after I updated from OS X El Capitan to Mojave and finally Catalina. I suppose I cannot discount a hardware issue, maybe it is not giving out a strong enough output (which is why the iPhone rapidly charges then doesn't) but I'm hoping it's not that. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/lnaeternum
    [link] [comments]

    Repair Estimate

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 06:52 AM PDT

    About a year ago, I tried updating my 15" 1st gen. mbp with retina display to the latest osx. for the dark mode. During installation, the computer froze and crashed, and wouldn't turn on again. Called 1800 apple and they weren't able to help, I suspect what they actually told me to do made the computer even worse off then when it first started. took it to the apple store and they quoted me $700 just to diagnose the issue to see what they will do to repair it, and told me my logic board has failed. Not wanting to pay 700 plus whatever else they're gone tack on to the price I bought a 17" 4k display HP laptop with great specs for under 1500. One year later, and I still miss my macbook. I want to get it fixed and use it again but can't pay the cost to repair it at apple bc i can't justify it, after all it's such an old laptop. What do you guys think I'd pay if I took it to an authorized provider or just some random repair place? The logic board failed so I assume it's just a logic board replacement. Thanks

    submitted by /u/yaa1220
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro 15" 2018 Radeon Vega 20 vs Radeon Pro 560X web browsing/multitasking performance difference demonstration

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 04:56 AM PDT

    First of all, I just want to say that I've made sure to turn off "automatic graphics switching" to make sure that each laptop is using their discrete GPU. This test is a bit weird but just bear with me because I think it's quite interesting~

    I currently have 2 Macbook Pro 15" 2018 with different specs:

    • i7 2.6GHz, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro 560X, 16GB of RAM
    • i9 2.9GHz, 1TB SSD, Radeon Vega 20, 32GB of RAM

    I don't know much if the i9 2.9GHz, 1TB SSD or the 32GB of RAM will make much difference in performance but I would like to show you what I found out when comparing the Radeon Pro 560X vs Vega 20 when browsing the web/multitasking

    Here I have 2 videos which will demonstrate the difference in performance between the 2 GPUs:

    Explanation to what's going on:

    In each video, I have the laptop connected to two external 1080p monitors.

    I used 2 chrome web extensions for this test, the first one is Dark Reader which enables us to change any webpage white background to dark colour. The second extension I used is an FPS counter made by CreativeRusBear's

    In each video, you can see that I have:

    Before I launched Rocket League

    • Google maps opened on the main laptop monitor with the FPS counter activated. I found out that whenever I activate dark reader (with dynamic option) on google maps, the Radeon Pro 560X model of the laptop gets choppy when you're trying to navigate around google maps with the dark theme activated (you can see that the frame rate dropped to 20 ish FPS when moving around with the Radeon Pro 560x model)

      On the other hand, the Vega 20 model is handling the google maps dark theme like a champ, it's way smoother compared to the 560X model, almost always running at 60 FPS when I move around the map

    • r/rocketleague subtreddit opened on the left external monitor. I scrolled through the webpage just to show you the FPS that I got when scrolling through the subreddit. In this case, both the 560X model and the Vega 20 model can scroll through the webpage with no problem and the frame rate always hovers around 50 - 60 FPS

    After I launched Rocket League on the right external monitor

    • On the Macbook with Radeon Pro 560X GPU, you can see that when I tried moving around google maps with Rocket League running in the background, it's extremely choppy and the FPS goes down to single digit at times.

      While the Vega 20 GPU's performance was also affected when launching Rocket League in the background, the FPS still hovers around 30-ish when moving around google maps on the main laptop monitor with dark theme on.

    • You can see pretty much the same trend on the left external monitor that has r/rocketleague subreddit opened.

      The Radeon Pro 560X struggled to maintain decent FPS when scrolling through the subreddit because Rocket League is running in the background and eating away GPU resources.

      The Vega 20 model was also impacted but I was still able to scroll through posts on the left monitor with relatively no issue

    Better Mutltiasking and web browsing experience with Vega 20

    So, there are a lot of benchmarks out there with regards to performance difference between Radeon Pro 560X vs Vega 20 when it comes to gaming/Video export/render time, etc. but there are very little information on what actual advantages does Vega 20 variant offer over 555X/560X when it comes to general web browsing/multitasking.

    Well, after playing around with these 2 laptops it appears that by having Vega 20, you'll achieve smoother browsing experience in general and it actually helps quite a bit with multitasking as well when you have a graphic intenstive program running in the background.

    So sorry for the wall of text!!

    TL;DR

    Not only does Vega 20 offer better gaming/3D modelling performance/faster video rendering/export time, it also offers significantly better multitasking experience and smoother web browsing in general compared to Radeon Pro 560X model of Macbook Pro 15".

    submitted by /u/blue2609
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel