• Breaking News

    Monday, July 22, 2019

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 21]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 21]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 21]

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 08:12 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Shortcuts Sunday - [July 21]

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 06:14 AM PDT

    Hello /r/Apple, and welcome to "Shortcuts Sunday".

    The "Shortcuts Sunday" thread is your place to share your Shortcuts with the /r/Apple community.

    To share your Shortcut:

    1. Open the Shortcuts app
    2. Tap the "..." button next to the shortcut you will be sharing
    3. Tap the "Share" icon
    4. Finally, tap the "Copy iCloud link" icon and paste it to your comment.

    When sharing your shortcuts, please add a brief description of what your shortcut does and how it is useful. Bonus points if you can include a screen record of the shortcut in action.

    Don't forget to visit the /r/shortcuts subreddit for more information, guides, and shortcuts!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I don't even know how to title this, typing from the floor. We raised $27,355 yesterday. *TWENTY SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS*. They told me that's the largest single day fundraiser IN THEIR HISTORY. Thank you so so so so so much, the Reddit Apple community is beyond incredible at saving animals. ������

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 09:45 AM PDT

    I legitimately have no idea how to start this and I refreshed the page a few different times over the course of 10 minutes to make sure I was seeing the right number.

    I make a free Reddit app for iOS called Apollo for Reddit, and yesterday you might have saw I posted a little fundraiser here in the Apple subreddit basically stating all the proceeds for the day from Apollo (it's free but has in-app purchases for some cool extra Pro/Ultra features) will go to the my local SPCA animal shelter in Nova Scotia. It's definitely the hardest time of the year for them right now, because cats give birth in tremendous numbers in these warm months (dubbed Kitten Season) which creates a massive influx of orphaned and abandoned kitties, and shelters are seriously strained and need all the help they can get.

    I was hoping to do some good for the shelter, but legitimately in my wildest dreams I did not expect so many people to come out and give support, I'm truly unable to form cohesive thoughts right now. They are legitimately such great people at that shelter, just for one example we recently had a cat in the community who was found badly abused and they looked after her, helped her with her bad leg (it ended up requiring an amputation) and now Phoebe got adopted into a loving home. Like that's just one example.

    I also got my two cats Ruby and Hugo from there. Here's Ruby spinning in circles in delight when I told her: https://i.imgur.com/QWyckgy.gifv and here's Hugo somewhat annoyed I woke him up to tell him but undoubtedly stoked inside: https://i.imgur.com/S5ztw0T.gifv

    Here's a tally of the donations. It came mostly from proceeds for the day but also was helped immensely by people commenting ($0.10 per comment on the Apple thread, and I also did an AMA) and retweeting, as well as awesome PayPal and crypto donations. It's easiest to show the breakdown/proof with a pic:

    Pic: https://i.imgur.com/YLjn7da.png

    I'm working with them to get the money over to them ASAP. I was legitimately not expecting to hit anywhere near this much, so I thought my credit cards would do but I don't have a limit high enough to pay this much in one go, so I sent over $16,000, which is all my cards could handle, and I promise I'll get the rest over as soon as I can figure that out (SPCA said it was totally okay, and Apple doesn't pay until the following month, so it's not as if I have the money right now). Proof of $16K (we're over half way there): https://i.imgur.com/vTcijTn.png

    (And before anyone asks, as much as I wish it was, this is extraordinarily far far far far more than Apollo makes on a normal day obviously.)

    Like this is absolutely nuts, I actually can't believe or wrap my head around that we raised this much money. We actually broke records. Like seriously, here's the most recent (2017) document I could find on their donors. Walmart donated $2,000 - $5,000 (which is amazing). Not that it's a competition (every donor is a hero), but we did 5-10x more than WALMART for reference! How are we that awesome. I talked to them this morning and they said they were crying.

    You have made my week, month, year, everything with this generosity. If you got Apollo Pro or Ultra yesterday I genuinely hope you love it and I'll continue to work my tail off to create the best Reddit app possible for all of you. Thank you so much again.

    - Christian

    submitted by /u/iamthatis
    [link] [comments]

    Ice Universe: "Apple is considering a switchable 60Hz/120Hz refresh rate screen on the iPhone in 2020, and is discussing with Samsung and LG"

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 06:13 AM PDT

    Apple store replaced Series 3 Apple Watch with a Series 4

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 07:46 PM PDT

    My wife's Series 3 bricked last week so we took it in, with 6 months left of AppleCare so it was covered. They sent it out, we went to pick it up and realized when we took it out of the box at home to set up that it had been replaced with a Series 4. I know this isn't normal, is there some sort of repair program going on with the Series 3 watches that I don't know about?

    We're definitely not complaining over here, I'm just curious.

    submitted by /u/ethandsmith6
    [link] [comments]

    iOS 13 and VPN: finally!

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 10:17 AM PDT

    Finally, VPNs work right in iOS. In the past, typical IPSec VPN connections would work... until your phone went to sleep for a while, or you lost cellular signal and got it back, or your Wi-Fi to cellular transition took too long - then the VPN would break connection and stay off until you manually enabled it again. I now have had VPN tunnels stay up for days on end without dropping, and when they do drop they quickly reconnect.

    This change also seems to apply to native iOS tethering; if I tether my iPad to my phone it stays tethered despite going to sleep and waking up. It was so frustrating needing to re-tether over and over again every time my iPad went to sleep.

    submitted by /u/chakalakasp
    [link] [comments]

    20 Years Ago, Apple introduced the iBook G3 with AirPort Wireless Networking.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 10:45 PM PDT

    'Where are they now?' Here's what happened to Apple's famous leadership team that launched the first iPhone in 2007

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 10:24 AM PDT

    How many of you here still use an AirPort Extreme?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 10:00 PM PDT

    I really miss mine, I went with an overkill enterprise wi-fi setup from SonicWall, and honestly it is just that, overkill. I am thinking about "dumbing" it back down and simplifying things, and plugging in my old AirPort Extremes and AirPort Express combos. They were the latest AC models before they got discontinued. Do you guys here still like them? Are they just fine for modern internet usage? I don't have a large house, think around 2,000 square feet. And my internet speed is about 150 down. We have quite a few Apple TVs around the house, HomePod, Google Home, Ring doorbell and Alexa as well. We also use things like a Emerson Sensi Homekit thermostat, and other Homekit devices such as lights as well.

    Basically if it'll keep up, I would like to put it back in service simply because I like the Apple routers, the way the look, and they have always been rock solid when I did use them.

    submitted by /u/RedLightGreenArrow1
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Card: Are the Limited Rewards Worth It for the Privacy?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 10:24 AM PDT

    Is there a weird fear of burn in for OLED iPhones in this sub?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 11:58 AM PDT

    I may not be well informed but I've been using OLED devices since GS2, GS3, GS4, GS5, GS7E until I moved to iPhone SE and then to XS Max. I find that many people express their concern about OLED burn in. I've had a Galaxy Note 5 for 3.5 years and there's not been any issue. And a Galaxy S4 for 6 years. Again, no issue. But I've seen people refusing to upgrade because they don't want OLED. It's not something you see in the android community. iPhone isn't super popular in my home country (India) so I've just had apple devices for about 1.75 years. Is this a real issue that people experience with their device or is it just something that happens to demo pieces in the stores because they keep the same image for extended periods?

    submitted by /u/darkgamer619
    [link] [comments]

    Health Diagnostics

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    Does anyone know of any apps that take your overall health data and offer specific diagnostic information and suggestions? It's all fine and good that I can record my data but without an app to interpret it, I find setting goals slightly difficult. Any help is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/letfreedomringmofo
    [link] [comments]

    What do you all name your devices?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 03:58 PM PDT

    I know this was asked about a year or so ago, but I'd love to get an updated list! I feel like there are some super clever ones out there, people are so much more clever than I am when I name mine.

    submitted by /u/EmAlkaline
    [link] [comments]

    Lost faith in Apple Maps

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 05:26 PM PDT

    While on Android my main Navigation app was google maps and never had issues with it. After switching to iPhone I still continued to use it but was annoyed with the lack of Siri integration. So, recently I decided to use Apple maps and it was working really well for the past month...that is until the other day. I asked for directions to a subway station and instead of taking me to the front entrance, it told me I had arrived while I was driving on the highway on a ramp that passed over it. Although, it was the first time it happened it becomes hard to trust it knowing there is a chance for a mistake. I wanted to hear experiences from other people who regularly use the app.

    submitted by /u/fsa0880
    [link] [comments]

    I picked up a 2019 MacBook Pro i9-9880H; and I liked it!

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 02:53 PM PDT

    Ok; I just realized the title looks like a Linus Tech Tips Youtube video...but nevertheless...

    Long Story Short: I was coming from a Late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" and yesterday i picked up a 2019 MacBook Pro 15" from the Apple Store. And it's great!

    And now, cut to the full story.

    It's been a while, since I was thinking about upgrading my laptop to something newer and fresher; and after about 15 years of absolute devotion to Steve Jobs' Lovechild, I was scared about buying a new Mac, after reading all the complaints made by the angry 2016-17-18-19 MacBook Pro users.

    So I was originally intended to buy a Dell XPS 7590 (2019 model) or a Lenovo Thinkpad X1Extreme 2019; but then my fiancé lent me his Dell XPS 9570 (the 2018 model; i7-8750H, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 1050TI Max-Q, 4K HDR)...

    I had issues with the WiFi card which kept losing the connection (and it was replaced twice by Dell), it didn't have an ambient light sensor, the fans ramped up like crazy for everything, the speakers sounded bad and quite muffled, when you plugged in a pair of headphones you could hear a constant background hiss, you need to run a bunch of Dell Bloatware to change the screen profile or the power settings, etc.

    And then the worst thing of them all: the fact that Windows 10 is not consistent when using HiDPI screens. Some things are big, some were as small as I couldn't read them. Just unbearable (for me, of course).

    I must admit the screen on the Dell was quite gorgeous (and on the 7590 I ordered, I went for the OLED panel, which should have been even better); and I also liked the keyboard travel, I liked the overall look, I also liked that Dell allows you to check the battery level without opening the screen (glorious days when Apple allowed me to do the same thing on my 2006 Core Duo MacBook Pro...). I liked the build-quality, I liked that the nVidia 1050 Ti/1650 Max-Q is a very nice GPU (performing much better than the 560X and as good as the 300 Euros Vega 16), etc.

    So I'm not saying that the Dell XPS is a bad product; just it wasn't good for me. And well...I decided to cancel the order because I arrived to the conclusion that, even if they're getting better and better every year, Windows laptops do not represent what I'm looking for in a portable machine.

    So I jumped Michael Dell's ship; and even if I originally planned to wait until 2020 to see a new MacBook Pro with a refreshed keyboard, I decided to pull the trigger and replace my 2013 13" MacBook Pro with this brand new MacBook Pro 15" i9 8-core 2,3 GHz - 16GB - 512GB - 560X and I'm writing this very post on the new machine.

    Coming from the 2013 13" MacBook Pro, short pills of what I have to say:

    1. This machine is a beast; you can really feel all the power of the 8 core CPU. I ran a benchmark in Windows 10 and the throughput on the i9-9880H is quite something! Also, the SSD has a reading speed of 3200 MB/s and writing speed just south of 2 GB/s. Temperatures are comparable (sometimes lower) with the i5 dual-core of the Late 2013 MBP.
    2. Even if the Dell had a 4K screen and this is "only" 2880x1800, I can't complain at all: also I run the MBP in 150% mode (so everything is scaled to look like 1900x1200) and I used to run my fiancé's Dell in 200% mode (so, 1920x1080). Colors are perfect, everything looks sharp and detailed. It's a masterpiece and it's even brighter than my 2013 13" monitor.
    3. I'm using FileVault with real-time encrypting done by the T2 chip; so far, no T2 crashes.... Fingers crossed!
    4. I put on my Windows 10 license and installed some modern games from the external SSD (Samsung T5 1TB; 540 MB/s); and I have to say that with a resolution of 1440x900 and medium settings, they're all pretty playable with stable 60fps! Of course, this machine is not intended to be a gaming laptop; but since I also own a Windows 10 Gaming PC, I installed Boot Camp just to do a bit of light gaming while away from home (e.g. during holidays).
    5. When I ordered the MBP, I also thought about getting the Vega 20 instead of the 560X; but since I don't do any professional CAD or 3D work, I then realized I was going to spend 420 Euros for an upgrade just to get some better graphics in gaming and else, on a machine on which gaming performances are marginal.
    6. I really like the feeling of the new-gen butterfly keyboard keyboard; the only things I dislike are the UP/DOWN arrows, as I often don't find them since they're way smaller than the other keys. I hope it's going to last a bit...
    7. The touch-bar is odi et amo. It reminds me of my Apple Watch: it's nice to have it, but when I leave without wearing it, sometimes I don't even realize I left it at home.

    I will update you as soon as possible; and I really hope the MacBook Pro will perform well and will not suffer from known issues like T2 crashes, broken keyboard, etc... Because I honestly find it well suited for my needs and right now there isn't another product on the market that (for me) could replace it if I decide to return it...

    Last but not least, I bought with the Back To School program; so I had a free pair of Beats Studio3.

    Just my 2 cents: they're nice, but I still prefer my Audio Technica ATH-M50x, to them. Nice that they gifted the headphones to me; but I would NEVER have spent 350 Euros for that things...

    PS: for those of you who are not in Europe, 1 EUR = 1,12 USD

    submitted by /u/DiGiNeX
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a list of possible search terms in Photos? I’m looking for a way to find memes, tweet screenshots, etc. so I can delete/organize them.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 07:21 AM PDT

    The title explains most of it. I've been able to look for objects and people and so on, but is there any way to look for pictures with text, tweets, etc. to delete all the dumb memes I've accumulated over the years.

    submitted by /u/mcheisenburglar
    [link] [comments]

    Has anybody else noticed the reduced saturation on iPhone XS in iOS 12.3?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 06:52 AM PDT

    I've just updated my iPhone XS to the latest version of iOS 12 and noticed a quite visible decrease in the saturation of the display, especially, on home screen.

    Here's what people have been posting about iPhone X a year ago. I wonder if this ever got fixed, what people called a "bug".

    So the same stuff happens to me now. But with the latest iPhone, which I purchased just over three weeks ago.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/9gqx8a/ios12_anybody_else_noticing_drop_in_screen/ https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/9l7y84/how_to_fix_ios_12_iphone_x_washed_out_blurry/ https://www.google.ru/amp/www.iphonehacks.com/2018/09/iphone-x-users-reporting-display-color-contrast-issues-ios-12.html/amp

    Now, here are the two screenshots from iOS 12.3.1. https://we.tl/t-I0bHtoaSBN

    One from Home screen, the second one from Settings. As you can see, the second one looks way more saturated than the first one. I assume, it's how my Home screen looked before the update.

    I'm sure someone from here will have access to two iPhone XS's with iOS 12.1 and 12.3. Have you noticed any change in the screen colors?

    UPD1: Ok, seems like going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations and turning off Auto-Brightness does help in a way.

    Try the following. Increase the screen brightness to 100% and turn this setting off, then go to Home screen and wait for 30-ish seconds. Even though your screen is at maximum brightness, you will see that white gets brighter and the rest of the icons become more saturated.

    submitted by /u/ifilipis
    [link] [comments]

    How can I protect my iMac from an earthquake?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 09:23 PM PDT

    There's easy solutions to tape it down or use cords to make sure it doesn't move around but what about if something falls on top of an earthquake? I know there's Apple care and whatnot but I'd rather to take it to get it fixed and rather protect it from something hitting it in the first place. Are there any solutions to this? I'm sure someone has a product already. I just can't find it.

    submitted by /u/bap1331
    [link] [comments]

    7 S and 9? Were they ever thought out?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 09:21 PM PDT

    As we all know, there was no release of an iPhone 7S or 7 S Plus, 8S or8S plus and anything nine. Did Apple ever work on projects/models/prototypes that were to bear the official numbers of 7S, 7S Plus, 8S or 8S Plus or 9/9s/9S +?

    submitted by /u/Bigrobmjca3
    [link] [comments]

    Polymatter | Will Apple Ever Leave China?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 03:45 PM PDT

    Microsoft Excel keeps me on PC

    Posted: 21 Jul 2019 01:33 PM PDT

    So here's the thing - I'm big in the Apple ecosystem - iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, AirPods etc. I want so bad to get a MBP but every time I get close I remind myself how awful excel is on a Mac. And unfortunately Microsoft Office is the gold standard in the business world. I need the versatility of a personal computer to offer those products even if not for work. Do people think I'm overreacting or is anyone else on a PC simply because of Office?

    submitted by /u/Mn_12345
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel