• Breaking News

    Monday, June 10, 2019

    Apple Help Factory Resetting my MacBook Pro (Late 2012) was a brilliant decision!

    Apple Help Factory Resetting my MacBook Pro (Late 2012) was a brilliant decision!


    Factory Resetting my MacBook Pro (Late 2012) was a brilliant decision!

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:31 AM PDT

    I've had my MacBook Pro since 2014 and literally 3 months later it was the slowest piece of kit i've ever had. I had the adobe products on there (I know, that would have eaten up ram) and a bunch of other stuff but 4 months in I was not happy with how slow the MacBook Pro was being. As a quick example, it was struggling and always beach-balled when I wanted to right click something.

    For a while I've been wanting to factory reset it but obviously there's the issue of saving everything. Luckily a year or so ago I got a 2010 iMac (which runs quickly despite it's specs and age) and so I've chucked everything I needed to keep on there. I factory reset the MacBook and BAM!, it's so damn quick. I genuinely think it's quicker than when I first got it. I've got the adobe products on it and a bunch of other things and it's so quick.

    So, if anyone is thinking about factory resetting their devices (I know a lot of sites recommend otherwise), then I'd say do it! Save everything you want to keep and place it on external hard drives or other devices and just go for it. You'll get new life out of an old thing.

    I realise that most people might have other ideas, etc but this worked for me and i'm genuinely so happy I've done it. The MacBook feels brand new and it's running the latest macOS.

    submitted by /u/EndMyGame
    [link] [comments]

    Work is supplying me an iPhone for international travel. Do I use my personal Apple ID?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 05:17 PM PDT

    I don't know if there's a right way to do this, as I've checked with my IT, and there's no explicit company policy. My personal device (iPhone XR on Cricket Wireless) doesn't have international calling, so my company is letting me use one of their devices (iPhone 6s with a Verizon SIM, I think?) for a couple work trips to Malaysia and Australia in the next couple weeks.

    On the one hand, I'd like to use my personal Apple ID, so people who need to iMessage or FaceTime me while I'm away can still get a hold of me without my needing to provide them with the temporary number I'll be using overseas, but I wasn't sure if there were any drawbacks to using the same Apple ID on two different iPhones simultaneously (I'll likely be leaving my personal phone at home while I'm away).

    I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone who has a work supplied iPhone has any thoughts about advantages in using a work-specific Apple ID vs. their personal Apple ID.

    submitted by /u/tomjim04
    [link] [comments]

    Can I remap keys natively in OSX without Karabiner?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:24 PM PDT

    I was using Karabiner in El Capitan to remap my Caps lock to Esc. Now I have moved to Mojave and I could not find any native way of doing it.

    So, is there a native way of doing it or do I have to install Karabiner?

    submitted by /u/OkBeat9
    [link] [comments]

    Batteries keep bloating!

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:13 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm on my fourth apple product with a bloated battery in about 2 years, it's happened with now three iPhones and an Apple Watch. I only use official batteries, chargers and cables. I also had a Galaxy S7 Edge whose battery bloated a couple years ago.

    Could there be something unique to the electric setup in my home that is causing this or am I just incredibly unlucky?

    All of the other times, Apple has replaced the item outright. But with this latest iPhone, I need jailbroken iOS 10 for work so I can not have them replace the whole phone and will need to seek out a third party option, and quickly because the bend caused by the battery bloat is beginning to damage the screen.

    submitted by /u/pmjm
    [link] [comments]

    Need Assistance. iPhone 6s is saying that an update is required to use cellular date, however IPhone is up to date. Screenshots attached.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:53 PM PDT

    For 2 factor authentication, how do you set a main device?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:49 PM PDT

    By now I have a couple of iOS devices connected to my appleid, all of which are being used. However I only want my main device to be receiving any sort of notification for 2 factor authentication. Unfortunately, right now when there is a prompt, they sent it to all my devices and whichever device answers first, answers for all.

    Is there a way so I can select a primary device to only receive 2 factor authentication stuff?

    Android is like this too. If there is unusual signin, they send the prompt to all devices linked to the google play account, regardless of which is your 'main' device, which usually means your phone and not your tablet(s).

    submitted by /u/StrictGrammarTeacher
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone Replacement Help

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:37 PM PDT

    Unfortunately, Apple keeps sending me faulty phones, and I don't know what to do about it. I have an iPhone 7, and I got a refurbished insurance replacement about 2 months ago. I had that phone for a month, until it just completely shut off and went black screen on me out of nowhere. Using the warranty, I replaced it again, getting another refurbished iPhone 7. This phone also lasted a month, but this time, my phone started playing music out of the speaker while headphones were plugged in, and, more importantly, the call feature just stopped working. When I call someone or receive a call, I can answer, but neither end can hear anything. This started late last week, but I was very busy this weekend, and couldn't look into the warranty until tonight. Also tonight, I managed to crack my already faulty phone. Is it still valid for warranty, or did I screw myself by cracking it?

    submitted by /u/gibbygg
    [link] [comments]

    What’s happening? Missing icons, apps won’t start, apps won’t quit, safari missing features

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:31 PM PDT

    I'm at a bit of a loss here, so I thought I'd post with the hope that someone can help me (or that writing this all out will help me figure it out on my own).

    My issues started a few weeks ago after installing update 10.14.5. After a day of poor performance/bugs I figured the installation failed in some way, and I restored version 10.14.4 via my time machine backup.

    Symptoms

    As I said, these symptoms began after updating to version 10.14.5. However, I have since downgraded to what I thought was a stable configuration (by restoring from backup), and these same issues persist. I have observed a lot of issues—maybe by posting them all someone will connect the dots to the source of the problem.

    Attempts to Resolve

    • Downgraded to 10.14.4 by restoring from backup (time machine) multiple times

    • Apple Hardware Test passed with no issues

    • Reset PRAM

    • Reset SMC
      Note: I think the SMC was reset? I followed the instructions here, but I didn't notice any signs that a reset had occurred.

    • Malwarebytes found no issues

    Restarting my computer seems to work temporarily—things act normal for about 15 minutes before everything starts to fail.

    Specs:

    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
    macOS Mojave Version 10.14.4/10.14.5

    If anyone has suggestions or has experienced similar issues I'd love to hear!

    submitted by /u/CJ6_
    [link] [comments]

    Itunes Help Needed

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:30 PM PDT

    Does anyone know how to add zip files into iTunes? I used to be able to drag my downloaded zip files directly into iTunes, but now it won't work and I am not sure why. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Asics2013
    [link] [comments]

    MBP 2014 Screen Problem

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:03 PM PDT

    Was wondering what the problem is exactly? I dropped my laptop, and found the screen showing like this. Would this just be a loose LCD cable or would I have to buy a new screen in general?

    https://i.redd.it/1gk851yzin331.jpg

    submitted by /u/protodrag3
    [link] [comments]

    Dead Macbook Pro! Help!

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:46 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! So my late 2012 15" MacBook Pro shut off while I was using it!

    Here's the back story: I was having some trouble when updating, I have a brand new Samsung SSD in there, had no problems for a while and then every time I would do an update I ended up having to re-install the OS. It was suggested to me online to change the SATA cable. The dreaded day the MacBook died (Fri) I called Apple support, tried several ways to restart/recovery mode etc, no luck. Then replaced the SATA cable thinking that it could be the problem, but it didn't help.

    The darn thing just won't start up, however the battery is charging just fine, the indicator light tells me that.

    So what is wrong with my laptop?? What else can I do before I go to Apple and spend way too much $$ to get it fixed?

    submitted by /u/tejasdharmabum
    [link] [comments]

    A little confused about iCloud Drive

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:03 PM PDT

    I'm considering moving from Dropbox to iCloud Drive, and I assume they basically work in the exact same way, but I have a couple questions.

    1) When I open iCloud Drive right now, I see three empty folders, "Numbers," "Pages," and "Shortcuts." I guess the Numbers and Pages folders are for me to put Numbers and Pages files in if I want to. Are they just labels to help guide me? I have a number of Shortcuts saved in the Shortcuts app on my iPhone, which is set to backup to iCloud, but that folder is empty as well.

    2) Where is all my app data that I have set to backup to iCloud?

    submitted by /u/lionsagechisel
    [link] [comments]

    Mid 2012 MBP Slow and Unresponsive

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 04:13 PM PDT

    As of late my MBP has been running really slowly (pinwheeling often) and at times just unresponsive. I've run activity monitor when the issue starts up and can't see any applications that are causing this, seems like everything is running at a low memory usage/CPU usage. Also used Clean My Mac as a means to optimize performance and clean up any unnecessary files.

    I've already upgraded my RAM, I replaced the SATA cable for the Hard Drive as I learned that's a common issue with these models. I'm wondering if I should just make an upgrade to SSD? If that would fix this?

    The only way to get it back running smoothly is to restore to a backed up version of my computer from a week ago. It'll run like normal with no performance issues and then they pick back up like a week after restoring.

    Any solutions?

    submitted by /u/BreakFromToronto
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling to use external hard drive with new Macbook Pro

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 06:15 PM PDT

    Thanks for any help in advance!

    I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and a 2017 MacBook Pro.

    New device is Mojave 10.14.3

    I moved everything that I wanted to keep onto an external hard drive from the old computer, and am now trying to use the external hard drive with the new computer. My first goal was to set up the iTunes on the new computer to use the iTunes library I had put onto the external hard drive. In the process of that, I discovered that almost every single file on the external hard drive is "Read only" when viewed from the new computer. Even after unlocking the .itl file and other seemingly related iTunes folders, I cannot get the new computer to let me select the .itl file from the external drive. I always comes back and says the file is locked or I don't have permission to access it.

    What am I missing here, or doing wrong?

    I can access the old computer still (although time is counting down as the battery has begun expanding) so I could conceivably get everything onto the external drive again if I did something wrong.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/marseer
    [link] [comments]

    My brand new iPhone 8 is laggy... help!

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 06:10 PM PDT

    So yesterday I got my new iPhone 8 from the store and it was brand new. I love everything about it and it just makes me love it even more everyday. Now I don't buy 2nd hand phones so please don't bring it up. But I only have one issue with it. Certain apps (like scrolling in snap or YouTube) really lags. It is brand new and all. But when I scroll through YouTube comment section and stuff it gets like glitchy. I am planing on using this phone for around 2 or maybe 3 years. So my question is: do any of you have this issue? Or can any of you provide me with a answer or help. As a said it is BRAND NEW. (Yeah and extra question. Do you think it can last like 2-3 years?). Thanks

    submitted by /u/AliKArt
    [link] [comments]

    Replacement for my new phone w/ one in a white box? At Apple store

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 05:54 PM PDT

    Hi All, has anyone ever had their newish (less than 95 days old when the saga began) iPhone (10XR) 'approved via Apple Care Sr Advisor' with a special code for the store to confirm (via their system) - in store? And not been allowed to question why the brand new replacement was in a white box that only had the (I am assuming since I wasn't allowed near it) serial # and two other barcodes? They also gave me a full on lecture that it was 'odd and not the norm' to have a special CS code for the exchange, since its covered under the 1 year Apple Product Warranty.

    submitted by /u/lifeisfascinatingly_
    [link] [comments]

    I Have an External Hard Drive that is Increasingly Frequently Giving me Unmount Before Disconnecting Messages. Is it dying?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 05:43 PM PDT

    So my external drives have always had random unmounting issues (they reconnect basically immediately, so it's not been an issue), but I have an older drive that's been unmounting itself a lot more frequently, like more than once an hour. Is that a sign that the drive is dying, that the enclosure is dying, or just external drives being external drives?

    submitted by /u/gsfgf
    [link] [comments]

    Resurrect 2009 MBP

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:37 AM PDT

    I've got a 2009 MBP maxed out on RAM and a 500 GB SSHD I installed myself. I haven't used it in months due to sluggishness and obvious lack of support of any new features in newer versions of MacOS.

    Understanding I can't update the OS, how would I get this working well enough to use as a basic internet machine and some MS Office document production?

    submitted by /u/neilparkertx
    [link] [comments]

    Youtube video in Chrome starts whenever I get a Facetime call

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 05:25 PM PDT

    Whenever I get a Facetime call (usually through my iphone through call sharing) it will start any youtube video I have paused in a Chrome tab. This is incredibly annoying as I frantically have to try to find the youtube tab to stop the video before picking up. It's also concerning that Facetime can control my Chrome browser.

    Why/how is this happening and how can I stop it? It's been happening for a few months and the last MacOS update didn't resolve it.

    I found another post with the same problem here. I don't remember exactly when it started but I think it was around when this user posted which makes me think this isn't a one-off.

    Recently, whenever I get a facetime video or audio call on my macbook pro youtube starts playing. I am using chrome and I can't seem to find what the issue is.

    This happens regardless if the browser is active or minimized. If I have multiple tabs with youtube open, only the most recent tab will start playing.

    It's driving me nuts, anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/truth1ness
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro for video editing

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    Hey guys, as my current MacBook Pro slowly dies (battery issues, that are just not worth it to fix, long story, multiple visits to Apple Stores and still no satisfying help on what to do - but that's another topic...), I am looking to buy a new MacBook Pro.

    My old mid 2014 MacBook Pro has the following specs:

    2,2 GHz Quad-Core i7 CPU

    Intel Iris Pro 1,5 Gig GPU

    16 Gig RAM

    256 SSD

    I want to get a 15'' MacBook Pro, especially now after the silent upgrade to better CPU etc. The question is which GPU and CPU should I get? I don't want to spend 3K+ for specs I won't fully use - so I have to make the cut somewhere - either with the CPU or the GPU, because maxing out both is just too expensive for me. 16 Gigs of RAM so far were fine for me, so I guess I won't need to upgrade to 32 GB.

    I mostly use the Adobe CC, Premiere Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign and stuff like that - in the near future I also want to get deeper into After Effects Animation.

    IF possible, and I guess that's a big if, I would love the get a Macbook, that'll do a good job for the next 5 years, without spending more than 3k (I can use Apple's student discount, since I am working part time at a University).

    The couple of questions I have now are:

    Am I going completely nuts with the 15'' model and should still consider the 13'' MacBook Pro instead?

    Regardless of which MacBook Pro I choose, where should I make the cut - rather CPU or GPU? Which is more important for the work I intend to do?

    Would love to hear your thoughts and thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/SimzZaf
    [link] [comments]

    Typing in Japanese characters on a Macbook Air... not working as predicted?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    I started learning Japanese a while back, and felt it was time to start actually typing in it. I managed to get as far, I think, as having the little US flag in the upper right of the OS and be able to choose between Hiragana and Katakana, but according to absolutely anything I can find, I should be able to type in Romaji letters (like ka ki ku ke ko) and have it autoconvert to Japanese characters (か き く け こ) or maybe it's I can pick from a dropdown that comes up those characters...

    but instead, it's straight turning my keyboard into what I think is that old hiragana keyboard that no one actually uses anymore? That's not what I want.

    Does anyone know how to properly work within the OS (I thiiiink I'm on the latest?) to have an Macbook Air actually do what I need it to?

    Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/Jantra
    [link] [comments]

    I can’t download photos sent to me from an iPhone X. I myself have an iPhone 6 and was sent 72 photos but only one has become viewable. How do I access the photos? Oh, and both phones are up to date on iOS.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 04:15 PM PDT

    Why is maps doing this? iPhone XR

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 04:07 PM PDT

    Transfer photos from Google Photos to Apple Photos?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 03:06 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I have thousands of photos and videos on Google Photos that I'd like to transfer across to iCloud photos.

    I'd like to do this in as quick and seamless a manner as possible if such a solution exists.

    Can you help?

    submitted by /u/Sauron79
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel