• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 3, 2019

    iPad Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 04/03

    iPad Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 04/03


    Weekly r/iPad Discussion and Tech-Support Thread - 04/03

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    Welcome to r/iPad' Discussion and Tech-Support Thread!

    Discuss here anything that's iPad related. You can suggest or ask about iPad apps, accessories, post about your iPad art, tips & tricks etc.

    Get help regarding any issues you might be having with your iPad, with your applications, your accessories, physical and software problems, etc. Fellow redditors and members of the mod team will do their best to assit you.

    You may want to consider looking for similar questions to the one you're about to ask, in previous D&TS threads listed below, or with the search bar, as chances are someone was in the same situation as you before.


    Later on, please consider giving back by answering other people's questions when you can!

    Click here to see past D&TS threads.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Weekly 'What should I buy?' Thread - 04/03

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 09:37 AM PDT

    Welcome to r/iPad's 'What Should I Buy?' Thread!


    Are you wondering which iPad is best for you? Are you hesitating between the 12.9" versus the 11"? Which keyboard should you get or what is the best screen protector out there? This is the place to ask. Fellow redditors and members of the mod team will do their best to assist you.

    You may want to consider looking for similar questions to the one you're about to ask, in previous WSIB threads listed below, or with the search bar, as chances are someone was in the same situation as you before.


    Later on, please consider giving back by answering other people's questions when you can!

    Click here to see past WSIB threads.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Now if only there was mouse support it would be there perfect device.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:04 PM PDT

    New iPad Air teardown finds machine almost identical to 10.5-inch iPad Pro

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 04:44 AM PDT

    Caliban Below is the best app I've seen to show of the horsepower of the new iPads

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    Ridiculous that something this high fidelity can run at 60fps on a tablet. Just released on the App Store, free. https://imgur.com/gallery/lxOWtSV (pretty neat little story, too.)

    submitted by /u/lacgvet
    [link] [comments]

    Dilemma

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    So, my wife was drawing the other day and I suggested she uses my iPad Pro to draw instead. I showed her a video of procreate and she fell in love. I decided to give her my iPad Pro 10.5.

    Spending two weeks without my iPad Pro made me realize just how much I used this device in my workflow / entertainmentflow.

    I'm looking at replacing the device, but I'm just not sure what direction to go from that point. I love big screens and I would most definitely go for a 12.9.

    The options I am considering are:

    • Buy the new IPP 12.9 with 256gb. With all accessories it would cost me $2300 CAD ($1725 USD). This is a lot more than what I really want to pay. I am also worried about the bending issues. The device is also 5 months old and I'm worried about spending premium money on a device that may be replaced in 6-7 months.

    • Buy the iPad Air. This is the economic choice ($928 CAD / $696 USD) but I'm really not using the speakers all that much on my 10.5 and my accessories would likely be compatible.

    What do you guys think? What options have I not considered? What is your experience?

    submitted by /u/Nomissocw
    [link] [comments]

    How can I replace Lightroom and not spend $10 per month?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 11:57 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a decent photo editor that works similarly to Lightroom - where I can make adjustments and apply those same adjustments to multiple photos. I've tried darkroom, even as far as paying for unlocking everything and I've found that it destroys my photos slightly. I just worked on a raw file where after increasing the saturation just slightly, it created a lot of color noise. Affinity photo doesn't do that when I do the same, but I can't apply the same adjustments to multiple photos. I just want a Lightroom clone that doesn't cost $10 per month. Seeing how much I was paying adobe for hobby photo/video and how much I used the programs didn't work for me. Is there anything just as good as Lightroom, or will I have to suck it up and pay for it?

    submitted by /u/KnightDragonHawk
    [link] [comments]

    Is Astropad good enough?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 06:43 AM PDT

    I have an ipad pro 12.9 2018 and I want to know if the picture quality is good when connecting it to a mac via Astropad. I tried to use Duet with my PC but it was very pixelated and blurry which I can not work with.

    submitted by /u/Alpha_Theta
    [link] [comments]

    PDF files navigation, writing, quick search

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 08:50 AM PDT

    I'm working with pdf files I have stored on OneDrive. I'm using Files to explore the two folders I'm working on and open the pdf files from there. I can annotate the pdf files perfectly.

    But I can't navigate the files. They're large so I'd like to go to specific pages (I can't from Files) and optionally bookmark some pages. Do I have to download an app or can I do it from Files/OneNote?

    PS. Can disable writing and annotating with my hand if the apple pencil is paired. I have the non pro iPad.

    submitted by /u/Clau_9
    [link] [comments]

    Eraser workflow with Apple Pencil v1

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 10:11 AM PDT

    I have been considering getting an iPad for academic research (reading papers, writing tons of notes and handwritten calculations). A couple of weeks ago, I bought an iPad Pro to try out, and I absolutely loved the user interface and workflow. However, I found it very hard to justify the price consider it's mostly just a paper replacement device for me, so I was very happy when the new iPad Air came out. I returned the Pro and got an Air to test.

    The problem is: only the older version of the Apple Pencil can be used with the Air, and I just cannot get used to having to find the eraser button whenever I need to erase something. It's such a basic feature that I use all the time, but having to take my eyes and mind off the thing I'm writing to look for that eraser button is incredibly annoying and completely breaks my workflow. For some reason, none of the big note-taking apps (Notability, Goodnotes) implemented gestures or anything that could alleviate this problem.

    How do people who do lots of calculations/sketching etc. that needs lots of erasing handle this? What is your "eraser workflow" without having to tap the Pencil to use the eraser?

    submitted by /u/ppd2
    [link] [comments]

    My iPad workflow as an Android convert who uses Calibre to manage PDF books and a Linux user

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 07:45 AM PDT

    I thought I would share here my use case and the workflow which allows me to finally convert from an Android tablet to an iPad.

    Few gotchas first

    • My workflow requires a little code (I don't plan to share it so don't ask) which any seasoned Linux user can easily implement even as a shell script
    • I'm not really fully converted yet as I've been using a somewhat neglected iPad Pro which was gathering dust and will only get my own personal device later

    My main use case

    Keeping a meticulously organized local PDF book library on a tablet in sync with a Calibre library.
    Be able to quickly open any book for reading without needing to import, export or any other nonsense.

    How do I manage my books

    I have a large "master" Calibre library with books on my desktop machine, mostly non-reflowable formats, PDFs and a limited number of DJVU files.
    These are properly tagged, making use of Calibre's hierarchical tags feature which builds a tree structure for categorizing books.
    I also add a special tag "Local" for all the books which are synced to my tablet.
    With this Local tag I can filter the master library and copy the books to create a smaller local Calibre library which is synced between my computer computers (atm Syncthing, but I've been using rsync, unison and osync).
    There's no synchronization between the master and local libraries just one-way copy but it fits my needs.

    Previous workflow on Android

    Calibre Companion (CC) connects as a wireless device to the master Calibre library and then with a click of a button in Calibre I send the books from the filtered list of the tag Local to CC.
    While CC does not includes a book reader it can open them in other apps and setting a default reader, all one need is to tap on a book and it's open in the default reader.
    I had Xodo for quickly going through books and lecture notes, open them in tabs to quickly switch between them, can set bookmarks, add marks, and etc.
    I also had a smaller number of books which I was more invested in, "copied" to Moon+ Reader and was reading them from front to back.

    This setup couldn't work as I want with an iPad as CC for iOS does not include a viewer, meaning each time I would want to open a book it will bring the sharing menu, might duplicate the file, and probably other limitations.
    It seems like CC development has been frozen for the last couple of years, so it's not something I would want to depend on and pay a premium on a hardware based on its availability and proper function.

    Current workflow on iOS

    Remember the local Calibre library which is synced between my computers? with not so much complicated script you can easily process this library and build a network-shared folder with the same structure of the hierarchical tag tree. This could includes symlinks, hardlinks or actual copies of the books.
    Now add this network share as a resource to the Documents app by Readdle on iOS and enable the sync feature of Documents for this folder and you got yourself and auto-synced book library.
    Documents also allow me to manually copy books to the Apple Books app so I can choose to keep a smaller list of books to read in the Books app.

    Why Documents by Readdle is so great?

    For me, Documents gets (almost) everything right. In particular:

    • Internal PDF viewer. Also plays audio, video, edit txt... but does not make coffee afaik.
    • Supporting multiple shared resources including SFTP(SSHFS), SMB, Google Drive. As a Linux user this great, and if you're wondering about the last then you should check out Insync.
    • Fast rendering and fast page scrolling.
    • Supports PDF table-of-contents (anyone mentioned Google Drive?), including:
      • Listing entries in a single view instead of opening each expanded entry in a new view which means you can't review the whole TOC tree, and also requires navigating back and forth with a lot of unnecessary taps. Allot of apps failing here including Adobe Acrobat.
      • Once the TOC was chosen from the widget of Bookmarks/TOC/Remarks, only a single tap is needed in order to view the TOC.
      • Remembers the state of the TOC, which entries were expanded and which are collapsed.
    • Supports PDF bookmarks.
    • Can change the background of PDF to sepia and revert the color for dark mode reading.
    • Can crop PDF page margins.
    • Support tabs.

    The only faults I found with the Documents app are:

    • The expand button/arrow for TOC entry is located to the left of the entry title which for me makes it more difficult to reach with the thumb. It would have been better to put the button between the entry title to the page number. Maybe even supporting swipe gesture to expand and collapse entries would be nice.
    • Does not support the DJVU format.

    Kudos to Readdle for making this amazing app free. I just bought one of its bundles to show my appreciation.
    With this app, I can finally move to an iPad, great work Readdle.

    TLDR

    Calibre Library -> code generates a properly formated folder with books -> SFTP(SSHFS) share -> folder sync function of Documents by Readdle app on iOS.

    edit: fixed a few typos

    submitted by /u/snhere
    [link] [comments]

    To ppl wishing keyboard + mouse support on iPad

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 09:47 AM PDT

    Your problem started from detaching your hands from your iPad.

    Yes, repeat that 10 times

    If u stick with touch input, fingers and/or Pencils, the whole UI is right there on your finger tips

    There is some reason that u attracted by iOS and more specifically iPad version of iOS app.

    Now you understand why there are so many die hard Mini fans willing to buy Mini 4 after 2 or even 3 years it released. The 2 thumb typing in portrait is really good, or thumb(the hand holding Mini) + index(the hand holding Pencil/Crayon)

    ———————

    I don't think there is any great iPad app UI designed for mouse + keyboard

    If you just need mouse to speed up triggering typing between different apps without touching iPad, may be u should stay focus on the primary writing task. iOS keyboard shortcut is fairly good

    If you encountered must have mouse use case other than triggering typing without touching iPad, please post your problem and let other suggest better workflow or better app.

    submitted by /u/imjtrial
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for best iPad cases

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 12:47 AM PDT

    Hi fellow iPad owners!

    Long time reader here. I finally decided to buy apple pencil for my pro 10.5. Followed by idea that I might need a standing case for iPad with pencil pouch/holder.

    But when I start checking for it there were so many options besides Apple standard ones. So I come here with a question: are there community recognized cases that I should check first?

    Also a keyboard — is it worth it for working with documents/emails? If so, what model do you recommend?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/OnkelBB
    [link] [comments]

    And now what is this?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 12:43 AM PDT

    Viewing reddit on iPad

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 06:18 PM PDT

    I have a older iPad Air2. It's now prompting me to view reddit through the app. And now defaults to some lame non-app version. I prefer to view it desktop mode on my iPad ( I dunno, I just do)...it won't let me now. What gives? I can view reddit on my iPhone 5 via desk top mode though. Sorry if I've broken any rules here, [old guy]

    submitted by /u/3d_ist
    [link] [comments]

    Favorite free iPad games (or 99 cent) and why

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:46 PM PDT

    Have a long flight tomorrow and would love some recommendations so i can download some prior. I tried searching the subreddit and with the broken search function didnt find a good thread. Help me out!

    submitted by /u/turntcheesus
    [link] [comments]

    Notability Scrolling

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 03:25 PM PDT

    I generally like notability on the ipad but the note always opens on the first page. I typically want to keep writing where I left off and it is annoying to then have to try to scroll down all the way to the last page again. Two questions: 1) is there a way to default it to open the note on the last page; 2) is there a button you can easily push to go to the last page? In a very large document it is cumbersome to scroll down or hit the pages icon and find the last page (which requires a lot of scrolling as well). Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheRealFunkyChicken
    [link] [comments]

    Apps like Markup (preinstalled) or Annotable that allow simple editing direct from the Photos app?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:06 PM PDT

    want to avoid having to export images one by one to an external app, but also interested in other apps that are not IOS Photos integrated if you can easily group/folder photos, especially with the drag and drop feature, then easily send off multiple photos by email after editing ?

    Basically we take photos of stuff on site and need to add measurements and notes to each photo before emailing them.

    any recs at all please!!! ill trial and error !!

    submitted by /u/sweep94
    [link] [comments]

    Having issues when importing PowerPoint to Notability from the Keynote app

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 05:10 PM PDT

    So for my lectures, I download them on my iPad, open them in Keynote, then print them so I can see important information in the speakers notes. From there, I hit the share button and copy to Notability. It's been working pretty well so far but for some reason it's recently started either just duplicating every slide in the presentation or it will make a new slide for every transition in the PowerPoint. For example, on the PowerPoint, there will be one slide but with multiple lines of text that show up when the lecturer hits next. In notability, it ends up being a separate slide with the new text added instead of just all on one slide like it would if you physically printed the PowerPoint.

    The reason I have to use this workaround is because I have a Dell laptop. And if I print to PDF from my laptop, then I can't use Notability's search bar to look for text on the slides.

    Sorry for the wall of text but I've tried looking online for answers and can't find any. This problem is making my storage fill up way faster than it should.

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/Wanna_be_dr
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel