• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 27, 2019

    macOS Do you bookmark your files?

    macOS Do you bookmark your files?


    Do you bookmark your files?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 08:06 PM PST

    I often add bookmarks to files I'm reading, so I can return to important pages. I avoid Preview, because it adds bookmarks to the original pdf files and has to re-process the files to do that. I mainly use Clearview because it keeps bookmarks in a separate file. But it slows down as I accumulate bookmarks for a project, and that forces me to either start cutting bookmarks or toss my work and start anew. I tried Bookmarkable, but can't use it unless and until I figure out how to write my own plugins. It's possible that some note-taking software would serve the same purpose, but I'm not really sure.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Ananiujitha
    [link] [comments]

    Is Apple/MacOS killing my SSDs?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 07:54 PM PST

    It all started when my 2010 MacMini did an OS update. And suddenly, my system wouldn't boot. I replaced the SSD with a new Samsung Evo ssd I had laying around. When during the install of 10.11, the install hung up and stalled (for over 6 hours, didn't move). Upon reboot, Grey screen of death after apple chime.

    Long story short, I'm an effort to now upgrade a 2010 iMac, from mechanical to SSD, I'm experiencing the exact same circumstances as the MacMini. Now with a 3rd SSD, booted into 10.11 installer, tried to erase the disk, which failed. Now Grey screen of death at boot.

    I now have 3 SSD drives, that are all completely dead, I get no signs of life from any of them on either OS X, windows 10, or Ubuntu 18.04 ... nothing at all.

    Now I have 2 Mac computers that are seeming killing my SSDs off one by one, this is getting extremely expensive and I can't explain why!

    Anyone have any suggestions or hints.

    Please help!

    submitted by /u/zelda_64
    [link] [comments]

    maclaunch - manage your macos startup items

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 03:27 AM PST

    High Sierra downgrade

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 01:10 PM PST

    Hey Guys!

    What would be the best and least risky way to downgrade from MacOS Mojave to MacOS High Sierra?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SilverMicrobe
    [link] [comments]

    Scroll and Acceleration - Switch from Windows

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 11:48 AM PST

    Hey all! been a windows user all my life, but wasn't a fan. Had an XPS 15 and loved it but really wasn't digging windows, ever really. always a huge fan of Steve and apple and my iPhone. Ive tried android multiple times but always come back. so finally I caved and bought a used 2017 with 256gb for $1k with 9 cycles.

    Theres 3 main paint points ive had.

    1- getting used to having to left click on stuff to get focus and then clicking again to do whatever I was going to do on that window.

    2- I had to download USB Overdrive to help with disabling acceleration. thank GOD this app exists for free because I was seriously regretting my purchase because I couldn't get comfortable navigating anywhere in the operating system with acceleration. I just hate it, and never get used to it. trackpad doesn't bother me much, feels fine.

    3- reversed scrolling. I can understand why it does this, because apples own peripheral doesn't have a scroll wheel, you also swipe like you do on the track pad. but yeah, thankfully scroll reverser was a free little app that did exactly what I wanted for my Razer death adder.

    it's like an absolutely standard thing for me. other than that, ive been loving the OS. feels so much more simple and fun to use, and just like I experienced on IOS vs android, all the stock apps are better than windows counterparts. GarageBand, iMovie, finder, notes, mail, app store, even I found Microsoft Remote Desktop is better to use on Mac than on windows. haha.

    how many other people use USB Overdrive and scroll reverser?

    submitted by /u/pioneer9k
    [link] [comments]

    Mojave 10.14.3 update - Mac does not restart

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 10:22 AM PST

    I just launched the Mojave 10.14.3 update via my system settings (it was shown when I pressed "about my Mac"). When installation started it said that the screen could go black for a minute before rebooting, but now it's already black for more than 15 minutes and nothing is happening. It does not even react when I press the power button.

    I have a fairly new MacBook Air (2018). Thanks for your advice!

    submitted by /u/DrHeywoodRFloyd
    [link] [comments]

    Startup apps in macOS

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 06:00 AM PST

    Like some of you, I get really annoyed when I see processes start themselves unnecessarily, since this can slow down boot time and generally can make things sluggish. I completely disabled Adobe's Creative Cloud from launching automatically, since it seems to alert me about updates just fine without running (I assume there's a separate background task doing this?). So, I just installed the Office 365 suite and noticed it wants to start OneDrive automatically, which I'm again dubious of. It mentioned something about being able to sync files in my OneDrive folder if I let it run automatically... but I'm just wondering if it, like Adobe CC, has a separate background task that can handle doing that without it needing to run automatically at startup.

    Can anyone shed some light on this? I realize I can test this myself, but I'm also just curious how this works.

    submitted by /u/buffalobillslover
    [link] [comments]

    Strange behaviour when using transparent PNGs in Safari.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 05:38 AM PST

    Where can I download High Sierra? Mac App Store only gives 20mb file

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 03:24 AM PST

    I want to create a bootable USB drive with High Sierra but if I try to download it from the Mac App Store I only get an installer that is like 20mb big.

    I want to leave my current system (on my SSD) with ElCapitan and use High Sierra (on my new SSD)

    submitted by /u/fatihlicious
    [link] [comments]

    Parallels, making Windows on a Mac a pleasure to use again

    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 11:12 AM PST

    Ive had both a 5K and iMac Pro for a while now and always had Windows 10 running on boot camp on one of them

    To be fair I've got other Win 10 machines in the house so they don't get used as much as I'd thought but in particular the rebooting to do a simple thing in Windows meant i rarely bothered

    Just installed Parallels and its made Windows on a Mac super simple and a pleasure to use

    Love Coherence mode although ill use it only now and then.

    Overall its perfect for my needs

    submitted by /u/Jouster74
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel