• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 3, 2019

    iPad Apple Pencil drastically affects iPad Pro Battery Life, even when idle and fully charged.

    iPad Apple Pencil drastically affects iPad Pro Battery Life, even when idle and fully charged.


    Apple Pencil drastically affects iPad Pro Battery Life, even when idle and fully charged.

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 11:56 AM PST

    I ran a little pseudo-scientific experiment on my new iPad Pro 11 inch after being disappointed with its battery life. Yes i used it a lot and 5-6 hour screen on time still sounded good enough but my impression of iPads has always been that they should easily be able to last 2 days of fair use. More importantly, I noticed that my battery percentage would drop fairly significantly overnight for an Apple product. My iPad would be at 100% at 12 am and be at 97 or 96% at 10am. Yes this is marginal, but it doesn't make sense considering I didn't touch it at all during that period and the folio case meant the screen shouldn't be turning on either.

    I then tried to start using the iPad without the Apple Pencil always attached and saw immediate improvements. Overnight in the same time period I would lose absolutely no charge, and overall battery drop wasn't as rapid.

    This doesn't make much sense to me as if my pencil is attached it is being charged up to 100%. At that point it needs no further charge thus the iPad shouldn't be using resources to charge a pencil that is already charged. I assume, however, that it is the same as most electronics and the pencil allows itself to slightly discharge, and then recharge continually as to not overcharge. This process perhaps causes the iPad energy drain even in idle.

    Your experience may vary, though I don't think it will. Regardless, it's worth a check. The issue is annoying bc now I don't want to keep my pencil always attached but done have a convenient place to store it.

    submitted by /u/redbricktuta
    [link] [comments]

    Lost (potentially stolen) Apple Pencil at airport

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 06:44 AM PST

    For those as trustworth/stupid as I am... make sure you take your Apple Pencil off the side of your iPad before leaving it where someone might have access or might move your device around.

    I just went through airport security in Budapest, pulled my iPad out and put it on a tray with my bag and went through the scanner. On the other side of security my iPad had been placed in a separate tray to my bag and the pencil was missing. My gut is telling me the staff member who moved the iPad to a separate box stole it but, although it could have just come off when she was moving it. Either way... if you're leaving your iPad unattended in public take the pencil with you, it's far too easy for it to fall off or be removed.

    As for the story... they searched for it but couldn't find it, the lady who separated the device went on break 5 minutes after separating my bag and the manager refused to give me her name to provide to the airport complaints people (I've taken the managers name instead). As an afterthought I now realise I should have tried to connect to it via bluetooth but it's too late now!

    TLDR: Don't leave your Apple Pencil on the side of the iPad when you're out and about, it is too easy for it to be stolen or fall off.

    submitted by /u/grahamrb
    [link] [comments]

    Best free document scanner/annotator?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 08:03 AM PST

    I'm a student and want to be as completely paperless as possible. I'm looking for the best/simplest app to scan a paper and then draw on it for math problems, fill ins, etc.

    Can Notability do this? What is the best app for this kind of thing in your opinion?

    submitted by /u/tylerholley
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro bending in backpack?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 09:49 AM PST

    I'm gonna be using my 11" Pro for college and transporting it in a backpack, has anyone experienced their Pro bending in a backpack? (Or any college students/anyone else carrying it in a backpack with no issues?) I've got the smart folio and a "shock absorbent" sleeve but I'm still concerned

    submitted by /u/dropitlikerobocop
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro 2018 Optimized Apps

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 09:48 AM PST

    I'm a proud new user of an 11" iPad Pro (upgraded from an Air 1), but I've had issues since most of my current iPad apps are not fully optimized for my new display size.

    I've found some here and there by looking through this and the iPad Pro subreddit, but I haven't come across a formal list anywhere. Did I perhaps miss one, or should we all work together to start building one now?

    It's annoying that some key apps like TeamViewer, Medium, all of Amazon's apps, most of Google's apps (like Google Maps and YouTube), and even Facebook are still not optimized to take advantage of the different display sizes.

    submitted by /u/King_Renzo
    [link] [comments]

    IPad pro 2018 11" vs Ipad pro 2017 12.9" for note taking in school.

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 01:30 PM PST

    I could buy a used 12.9" for $400

    I could buy the new 11" for $750

    I would use it mainly as a substitute for all books/paper. I feel like the 12.9inch 2017 model would be nice as its as big as A4 Paper, however the new ipad looks so nice and will last longer.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Shurikenmight2
    [link] [comments]

    Ipad pro 11" tempered glass with Matt screen protector

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 07:00 AM PST

    I haven't yet bought my ipad, but I was wondering if anyonr has tried putting the matt screen protectors on top of a tempered glass protector for the protection and the feel when writing?

    I know that there are reports of touch sensitivity issues with some tempered glass, but I saw that some people have found thinner tempered glass now and it hasn't affected the touch sensitivity. I was wondering if it would add a noticeable thickness between the pencil and screen, and if the extra layer might undo the effect of a thinner tempered glass protector.

    Looking to purchase an elecom matt protector (Japanese brand my friend has on his 2017IPP and I liked it, but is a bit on the expensive side)so wanted to see if anyone has tried the combination before I try it.

    submitted by /u/MachoTofu
    [link] [comments]

    This just happened to me, what do I do?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 12:56 PM PST

    Discussion: Let's talk about what types of "Pro" apps can make the iPad Pro more of a primary device for Professionals

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 09:09 AM PST

    Hey Guys,

    So I've loved the idea of using an iPad as a primary device, I own a 9.7 iPad Pro and a Surface Pro along with a MacBook Pro (will be relevant later on in this post). With the new iPad Pros being so powerful and clearly the future of computing as Apple sees it. However, Some of us have pointed out that the power is useless if you can't harness all of it or in short there are no pro apps that will a) allow us to harness the power of the iPad Pro and b) the lack of these "pro" apps means we can't move to working primarily on an iPad.

    I've given this some thought and I'm personally a game and app developer so I wouldn't be able to use an iPad as my primary device since Xcode and other tools aren't on the iPad. I've tried to integrate the iPad in my workflow but when I need to make 3D assets and texture them I always go to my surface pro because it can run desktop apps.

    So the purpose, of this post I guess was to pass the question on to you? What types of apps or what would your dream app be that would allow you to maybe replace your laptop/desktop fully or allow you to use your iPad as your primary device?

    Mine would be something like a unity clone so I can import all my game assets and program my game logic on my iPad. Then with usb-c connector i'd want to connect an iPhone or Android phone to run build and run my game on.

    My second one would be photoshop but that's already happening in 2019.

    My last one, would be a proper 3d modelling tool similar to Autodesk Maya or 3DS Max where I can create models somehow, right now the main thing stopping is the lack of a mouse since you need it for precision when making characters or general models but if someone came up with an intuitive way to use the pencil like a mouse when making 3D CAD models and then create UV Maps(Textures) and animate them. It's come to the point where I've been thinking of developing it myself if no one else is going to!

    This discussion would hopefully inspire app developers to see what is missing and hopefully fill that gap so the iPad can become more of a replacement for some professionals.

    submitted by /u/akash227
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking iPad

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 12:24 PM PST

    Hello guys! iPhone and watch user here and since I gave away my android tablet which I had since 2012 😅, I thought I should get an iPad. Problem is I don't want to spend a fortune on these new ones and decided to look for a used one. Any advice on which one to get? Mainly I would use it for Netflix ,YouTube, Facebook and maybe some mails for work so I don't need a very powerful one, just a reliable one with a good battery

    submitted by /u/dimagl
    [link] [comments]

    Discuss why iOS on iPad is deficient for "real" computing

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 10:53 AM PST

    Ok so lots of criticisms about using the iPad are either vague or stated in terms solutions for conventional computing; e.g., "it doesn't have a real filesystem" and "it really needs a trackpad and a pointer".

    I'm curious to hear about actual workflow problems people are facing at a concrete level. Maybe some of these workflow problems occur because you're trying to do it the "old" way. Maybe it's an actual deficiency of iOS on iPad. Comparisons to workflows on desktop OSs are fine as long as they help to illuminate why the iOS version of the workflow is deficient.

    Ok, go!

    submitted by /u/bffmike
    [link] [comments]

    [Q] Stickers on folio?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 04:06 AM PST

    Hi guys! I'd like to ask those of you who have stickers on their new iPad Pro's 11/12.9 folio. Are they hard to remove?

    I would really like to stick apple logo sticker in the middle of it so it would resemble how MacBook looks, but at the same time, I'm really pedantic person and like simplicity, so if I happen to get bored of how it looks, would tearing this sticker off leave marks on folio? I would really like to avoid it if I end up tearing it off, but of course I might as well leave it forever if I like it. But in the end I might sell it someday and another person might not like any stickers on it so I think of it also this way. For example, I would never put anything on my device itself, but how are things with a folio? Anyone has any experience?

    submitted by /u/Lasiu
    [link] [comments]

    A bit of an odd request: how do I REDUCE battery health?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 08:38 AM PST

    Hello /r/iPad,

    The AppleCare coverage for my iPad Pro is ending on February 9, 2019. I downloaded an app onto my Mac and tested my iPad's battery health, and it graded it at about 83% of its original capacity. If my iPad is still being covered by AppleCare, I receive a battery replacement for free, but only if battery health tests to less than 80% of its original capacity. Any ideas re: how to lessen the health of my iPad's battery? Am I just trying to drain it and recharge it as often as possible?

    Thanks for any help you can provide!

    submitted by /u/jameslikesbball
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone with an iPad Air(1st generation) how is it holding up?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 09:13 PM PST

    I expect my iPad to be awaken after a year long coma stay on Friday. But, I need to know should I anticipate any problems if I have to upgrade to the latest ios!

    So, here I am asking you guys how's your iPad Air holding up? I don't see myself upgrading until after I score a new gig (hopefully soon!). And when I do upgrade, I'm eyeing the pro 11 256gb, I currently have a 64gb iPad Air 1 and a severely beaten up and cracked(its been through a lot every since it fell and cracked when I was getting out of a car) mini 3 that is also dead, lol. Don't judge me, 2018 has been rough.

    submitted by /u/MyLipstickObsessions
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Pro 12.9 Screen Protector Dilema

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 11:02 PM PST

    I am about to buy an iPad Pro 12.9 for uni, however I've stumbled across a pretty big problem with the screen protectors.

    From what i can tell online, the tempered glass protectors either disables Face ID or renders touch unresponsive. While the matte screen protectors reduce image quality drastically.

    I am going to be using the iPad mainly for note-taking, which is why I am leaning towards a matte type for the texture, however I don't want to sacrifice the image sharpness.

    Has anyone found a good in-between? There has to be a product that is the best of both world!

    TL;DR: looking for screen protector, don't know which kind to get.

    submitted by /u/ghassanakkad
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy the Apple Pencil for iPad Pro 9.7” (1st Gen)

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 09:48 PM PST

    I bought an iPad Pro 9.7" recently, considering it's old but better than the new budget iPads, and I was wondering if I should buy the Apple Pencil. I will mostly use the Pencil to write notes for school, although I feel like I don't need it since instead I could just write on a notebook and have the same exact thing. I am not exactly good at drawing because I don't take any Art subjects and I don't find myself too interested in it. Is it the right choice for me? What do you guys use it beside drawing and writing notes?

    submitted by /u/Skullrocks
    [link] [comments]

    Return the ipad 2018 (6th gen) or not?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 10:45 PM PST

    I got the ipad as a gift for christmas. I know I wont have much time to use it in the next 6 months so I was considering returning it and buying it in the summer.
    However I found out that I got it on a deal, only $270 and with it being a gift too, I'm not sure if I want to return it.
    I'm a complete noob on technology, I know the ipad is 6th gen and given my limited research I don't think it'll be cheaper by the summer.
    Thought?

    submitted by /u/Duval11
    [link] [comments]

    How do I save movies and tv shows from iTunes onto external storage to watch on long flights?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 06:55 PM PST

    For people who went from 10.5 to 11 inch iPad Pro, is the extra real estate​ noticeable/beneficial?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 09:44 PM PST

    I'm switching from a 10.5 2nd gen to the new iPad Pro and I'm unsure which of the two sizes I should get.

    I used the 10.5 for university for the Fall quarter, and while I loved the portability of it I couldn't help but wish I had a bigger screen to work on. Because of this, I was set on buying the new 12.9 inch. However, after demoing the new 12.9 at an Apple store, I felt it was too heavy to hold for anything more than 30 seconds. Now, I'm unsure which one I should get.

    Was anyone in a similar situation as I currently am? Is the extra screen space noticeable?

    submitted by /u/Scopuli-
    [link] [comments]

    Changing paper in the same ‘note’ on notability

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 07:13 PM PST

    Hello! I've just started using notability and I was wondering if I could change the paper type for the same note, because currently if I want to add a grid page it changes all the pages in the note to grid?

    I want to have alternating grid, blank, lined paper in the same subject

    Thanks for the help :)

    submitted by /u/96bubba
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel