• Breaking News

    Monday, December 31, 2018

    Apple Help Is it possible to "restart" the Apple Photos Memories process?

    Apple Help Is it possible to "restart" the Apple Photos Memories process?


    Is it possible to "restart" the Apple Photos Memories process?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 02:56 PM PST

    I've been in the process of migrating my photos to Apple Photos, and it's taking a few weeks of manual organising and uploading. While I do this, Apple Photos has began creating Memories, however because my library is only ever partially complete, only some photos show up, or some Memories are incorrect.

    Rather than delete and create my own Memories (via converted Albums), is it possible to tell Apple Photos "hey, I've finished uploading everything now. Can you delete and restart creating Memories as you see fit now?"

    submitted by /u/ser_fucksalot
    [link] [comments]

    How to switch Apple ID and keep information?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 07:53 PM PST

    I have a IPhone 6S, my sister has an IPhone 6 and our mom has a Samsung.

    My sister, my mom and I all currently share an Apple ID, which has all our information under it. My sister and I got new phones and we need to transfer our information into a new Apple ID so we can move it to our new phones. A worker at the Verizon store suggested downloading ITunes on our computers and switching the information over and it seemed like a long process and I didn't really understand a lot of what he said. Would going to the Apple ID store be easier than doing it ourselves? How do we keep our individual information and separate it from our mother's? Do I need to move my information to a new phone first? Any advice is much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/alecxhound
    [link] [comments]

    I’m looking for a very particular usb c hub, does it exist?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 07:09 PM PST

    Hi all, feel free to redirect me to a more appropriate subreddit if this isn't the place to ask this, but here it goes. I have a 13" touchbar MacBook Pro that I want use as a desktop running at at 4K 60hz on an external monitor. For that I need a usb c hub that meets the following criteria: power delivery (at least 60 watts), usb a ports (at least 2), a DisplayPort or second usb c port (hdmi only supports 4K at 30hz in my experience), and a gigabit Ethernet port, all for no more than $60 before tax.

    I spent a couple hours looking at options online and have come excruciatingly close to finding the perfect hub, but not quite. The closest fit was a CableMatters hub on amazon.ca (I'm located in Canada by the way) which has every feature mentioned above, except it only has 10/100 Ethernet. Worst case, I'll probably purchase the cablematters hub and buy a second adapter just for Ethernet, which I would rather avoid doing if it's at all possible to connect everything I need to a single port on my Mac. At the moment, I'm using a hootoo hub with hdmi running at 1080p 60hz.

    submitted by /u/narulp
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone X in saltwater?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 07:42 PM PST

    I feel like an idiot.

    I was at a turtle sanctuary while on vacation and the locale has a tank in which visitors can put their hands in/pick up the turtles. Wanting to get a cool picture of the turtles, I submerged my phone in the water. Several times. I have videos, I have pictures, my phone must have been in there a half-dozen times for a net total of two or so minutes.

    That was at 4 p.m. today. Immediately after, I didn't see any damaging effects, but I believe they're manifesting now, at 10 p.m. My phone is having trouble charging (at first it was finicky then it just downright stopped charging) and I have suspicions that cords which I've plugged into the phone are taking on a black-ish tint. The phone itself is operating as usual, but the charging really concerns me.

    There don't seem to be any significant chunks/discolorations in my port but I believe the phone corroded a charging cord. Where one of my cords was working at the beginning of the night, it now no longer seems to be working with my phone or any other.

    UPDATE: The phone charges no problem with a brand-new white Apple charger. The corroded chargers don't work but the fresh and crisp one works like a charm.

    The only steps I've taken so far to address the issue have been

    • Using the app "Sonic" to attempt to remove water from my speakers (I did that immediately after removing my phone from the water).
    • Putting small wet and dry pieces of napkin in the charging port to attempt to remove any potential scuzz.
    • Googling myself into a panic.

    I'd appreciate any diagnoses/tests/solutions you can provide.

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/politicalfeta
    [link] [comments]

    Forcing audio through speakers?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 06:23 PM PST

    Right, so I have earbuds plugged into my mid2012 Macbook Pro and the jack breaks clean off. While I try to fish that out, is there a way to force playing audio through the speakers in OSX High Sierra?

    submitted by /u/SupposedlyImSmart
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 6plus is incredibly slow compared to much older 6s

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:22 PM PST

    Background: My dad got the IPhone X and therefore, doesn't need his 6plus anymore. I got it and found out it was incredibly slow and unresponsive, so we set up an appointment to get a brand new one.

    Ok so now here's the issue. This BRAND NEW 6 plus is as slow as the 6plus before we switched it out. It's running iOS 12.1.2, has a battery max performance of 100%, and like I said, is brand stinkin new. I've done the usual stuff, like reduce motion, deleted old apps, background app refresh, and even wiped all my data and restored, but nothing is working. Any help is appreciated!

    Edit: The 6S is the superior phone. Thank you all

    submitted by /u/rusty_razor_wire
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone 7 is playing through its own speakers when connected via lightning cable

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 06:14 PM PST

    I drive a 2017 Honda Civic LX. CarPlay used to work totally fine until earlier this week when I got the latest update (12.1.2). Now when I try to plug in to my car, it will do one of two things: (a) only show up on the "iPod" function, and retain control functions through the vehicle but play through the phone speakers (b) fail to connect entirely. I didn't have this problem before the update, and haven't changed anything else about the phone or the car's OS. Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/OldManMalekith
    [link] [comments]

    Two iPhone's - iOS 10 & other will be iOS 12 - can they both use the same apple ID?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 02:26 PM PST

    I have my main iPhone 6s that I use daily and I have my old iPhone 6. The 6s has been on iOS 10 and I do not plan on upgrading it. (Minor reasons; like wanting to keep the old CC.)

    The old 6 is on iOS 8 (minor reasons; like wanting to keep the old Music app) but, I'm going to wipe this phone clean which will upgrade it to the latest iOS, which is my goal for the phone anyway. Another significant difference is that my main 6s is "activated" with service like a regular phone, meanwhile the old 6 is not; no SIM card, no service or anything.

    Now, I would like to know if it's safe to use the same apple ID on both devices? The main phone is on a lower iOS with service, and the other will soon be up-to-date on its iOS but will remain without any service.

    The biggest question I have is if it's possible that the iOS 12 update will end up installing itself on my iOS 10 device, since the iOS 12 device will share the same ID? Does it work like that at all?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/tiramisu6
    [link] [comments]

    Turn off option to have to click on a notification twice in order to actually open it.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 06:10 PM PST

    Phone: IphoneXS Max

    OS: IOS 12.1

    I dont know if its a new update or something but when I go to click on a notification it prompts me for a second option that says "Open". I used to be able to open my notifications with just one tap but now I have to click it twice which is very stupid because sometimes my touch is not registered so I end up tapping the damn open button like 5 times. Here is a screenshot of what comes up when I click on the notification:

    https://i.imgur.com/hYAQNlb.png

    submitted by /u/Jarmahent
    [link] [comments]

    Magic Keyboard 2 Number Keys Don't Work

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 10:14 AM PST

    So, earlier today I went to screenshot something and realized my keys weren't working. After doing some more testing I found that most of my number keys don't work. What's interesting is that they don't just fail to work, they sometimes do seemingly random inputs. So, I can push 5 and it might give the number 5, dim the screen, mute my Mac, open mission control or just do random things like "sac[/."

    I tried messing with it a little bit but nothing I did made a difference, any ideas? And, if it is broken, since my Magic Keyboard 1 still works fine, is it possible this would be covered under regular Apple Care? I opted out of the fancy one but maybe the regular bit?

    submitted by /u/admiralvic
    [link] [comments]

    Error code -50 - Mid-2012 Mac upgraded with dual SSD/HDD

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 05:36 PM PST

    Hi,

    About 3 months ago I followed these instructions, and swapped the original HDD with a Crucial SSD, and took the HDD and put it in the optical drive slot. I also enabled Trim using Trim Enabler.

    Things have been working fine until a couple of days ago. Then I started getting the error 'The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)'.

    The first time I restarted, I got black terminal text showing up on the white Mac start up screen. It kept erroring out, and wouldn't restart. I reset the PRAM and it restarted and worked fine for a bit, but I got the same error after a few minutes.

    Then I ran Disk Utility on the SSD, and it told me I needed to run repairs on start-up. I did this, and again, things worked fine for a little while, but then I got the same message again. Resetting PRAM seems to clear it for a little while, but then it comes back.

    I can read from the SSD, but I can not write to it or delete from it without getting error code -50. The HDD seems to be working fine. I opened up the computer, and tried unplugging and replugging the connections and it does not seem to have made a difference.

    The Mac is a 13-inch, Mid-2012 with a 2.5 GHz Intel Core I5. This is the SSD.

    I don't have the cabling necessary to try out the SSD in a different computer, though I will purchase that if necessary.

    Any suggestions? Any other information I can provide to help diagnose?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/taltalim
    [link] [comments]

    Reset iPad without signing out of Apple ID, and gave it away. Info safe?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 05:26 PM PST

    Hi all,

    As the title states, I reset my iPad Pro and gave it away over Christmas. However, I forgot (actually, just didn't know) to sign out of my own Apple ID before resetting the iPad.

    Then, I watched my family member sign in with their own Apple ID. Also confirmed that my apps and pics weren't on the device anymore.

    Is there any off chance that said iPad Pro is still syncing my own info? Would be a bit problematic because of the nature of my work, and also because I have left the family to travel for work so I can't even really check the iPad myself right now.

    And even if my info is safe, how can I remove those devices from my Apple ID? They still show up, which is a bit odd since I renamed hothead device after resetting and gifting it away

    submitted by /u/randominternetguy3
    [link] [comments]

    Photo Library showing thumbnail previews that aren't the actual picture

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 08:45 PM PST

    This is something that I have been dealing with for the majority of the calendar year. Don't know if this happened during my iOS 12 beta testing but a majority of my photos when scrolling through my library show thumbnail previews that when you click on the photo show an entirely different photo. This isn't every photo but it is something that I have been noticing. Also something else has also happened. A lot of my library which has been geotagged, for whatever reason have the wrong geotags now. Photos that I took for example at DisneyWorld in Florida have the geotags for photos that I took when I was in Jamaica this past July and I don't know how that happened. I figured posting here because I cant find anyone else who has had this issue or how to go about fixing it. Wish I knew how it happened in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/coolaaron88
    [link] [comments]

    How do I transfer my camera roll pictures from my Ipad 2 over to my new Ipad?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:54 PM PST

    I'm having a very frustrating time. It says my icloud has the data and I have no freaking clue how to get it over or even see it for that matter. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/RobotYoshimis
    [link] [comments]

    Help? Need to sync iphone notes onto MacBook Pro

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 11:39 AM PST

    Running Mojave 10.14, have an iphone 6. Cannot find the "Notes" box to check in sync preferences which I seem to remember from the past.

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/bigbuick
    [link] [comments]

    My Air fell of my bed while charging. The charging port in pushed in and tilted. Has anyone here encountered this issue? What did you do?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 02:08 PM PST

    Broken / Corrupted Login Issues Causing Crash?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 11:00 AM PST

    Hi all—I recently did a fresh install of Mojave on my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017). During the install, I moved over an account from a Time Machine backup and set it up as an Administrator. Let's call this Account 1. Once that account was up and running, I brought over a second account from a separate Time Machine backup, and also set it up as an administrator. This is Account 2.

    Soon after Account 2 was added, I noticed that my computer would not wake from sleep. The screen would illuminate, but just be black pixels. After a few minutes the machine would restart. Doing some testing, this was only happening when logged into and using Account 1—using Account 2 could enter sleep and then wake with no problem.

    This is where it gets weird: when my computer restarts, Account 1 is not shown on the login screen. I have to login via Account 2, then use the Quick Switcher in the upper right to get to my account. Once the computer is running, if I use the Quick Switcher to show the Login Window or use the Apple menu to log out of my account, I am able to see both accounts. But again, the login screen only shows Account 2 when the computer restarts.

    I'm using a workaround right now of never putting the computer to sleep, but this seems like a stopgap measure and something is certainly broken somewhere.

    Now, while I do not think this should be an issue, before the clean install I used the diskutil apfs commands to create a new fusion drive that combines the internal platter with an external Thuderbolt 3 SSD. That said, this seems very much like a software problem, and not a hardware one—the machine is otherwise humming and running great. And doing so should be well within the scope of the OS, since I did it using only OS-provided tools in the Terminal.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    submitted by /u/fieldnoise
    [link] [comments]

    What HD configuration should I use to store/serve a 6tb media library?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:02 PM PST

    I've maxed out a reliable 4TB Western Digital drive for a media library.

    I'd like to have it all one drive, but at this size, I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this. I'm on a pretty old iMac with only 3 USB 2.0 ports. So, I'd like to avoid having to set up a USB hub.

    I'd like recommendations on larger HDs, or another recommendation. I have considered a docking station like this:

    Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA I/II/III Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD with Hard Drive Duplicator/Cloner Function [10TB Support] (EC-HD2B) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759567JT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HoOkCbFRA7VA7

    Thoughts?

    Tangent:

    Also, why can't I just plug this HD into my airport base station? I've never been able to figure that one out.

    submitted by /u/johnfromberkeley
    [link] [comments]

    New MacBook or upgrade old MacBook Pro?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 08:04 AM PST

    My sister just gave me her old MacBook Pro because her job bought her a new one. It's a 2.4 i5 with 500 GB HD and 4 GB or RAM. I've been wanting to get a Mac laptop for a while (the last one I had was the G4 that ran OS 9) . Would I be better off getting a MacBook (can't afford a Pro) or upgrading the hand me down? I was thinking about putting a TB SSD in and doubling the RAM as well as replacing the battery. Can anyone help me out with this decision? In addition this is a mid 2012 model running Mojave and I am currently using it. It lags a bit with some combinations of programs open, but not terribly.

    submitted by /u/voNlKONov
    [link] [comments]

    Automate batch photo filename renaming in one folder

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 09:08 AM PST

    I searched here and saw sort of what I wanted to do but was wondering if this is possible:

    I use OneDrive to back up my photos and prior to that used Dropbox. I loved Dropbox's auto-format of the filename to YYYY-MM-DD HH.MM.SS. OneDrive unfortunately keeps filenames the same as my phone (Note 9), which is YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS. I've used other services, but none seem to auto-rename like Dropbox (and Mega). I don't use Dropbox anymore because I'm logged into my GF's account for business so I can edit files on the go, and I stopped using Mega because it was having sync issues. If I set Dropbox to auto-upload, it mixes with her files making a larger mess.

    Ideally, I would like to set up something that automatically renames the files once they hit my computer, like setting up the Camera Uploads folder in One Drive to be watched by 'something' to trigger the automatic file rename. It doesn't even need to be instant, it can be set to a 'run process every X hours' kind of thing. I have a couple file rename programs that I think Automator can trigger, but you have to manually add the files to those programs defeating the automation purpose. As far as the renaming, the YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS is close, I just need the renaming program to add the hyphens and periods to make it like my desired format of YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS, or use the EXIF data.

    Is this possible to fully automate, or do I have to manually perform part of this workflow? It seems like Automator could maybe do it itself or work with a renaming program, but I can't figure out how to get everything to work. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Tooch10
    [link] [comments]

    grey box on desktop that will no go away

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 11:59 AM PST

    There is a solid gray box in the top middle of my desktop that I cannot get rid of.

    I have a 2015 MacBook Air running High Sierra 10.13.4

    Screenshot: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vjPkdm4RVixCZmPH_SfP08ow4uMYHOwG2CxF4k5YaeU/edit?usp=sharing

    submitted by /u/quesadilla_queen
    [link] [comments]

    Massive upgrade help

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 04:53 AM PST

    What would be the best upgrade from an iPhone 4S (yes, no joke)? Thinking either the 8 to experience the 3D touch + bevel with touch ID or the XR for better value.

    submitted by /u/IrrelevantSithLrd
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to take the plastic back off of a A1314 Apple Wireless Keyboard (non-numeric)?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 10:58 AM PST

    Long story short, my wife spilled a sticky, syrupy drink on our wireless keyboard last night. I have removed the keys from the area that got hit. I tried wiping down the outer surface under of the keyboard base that is exposed when the keys are removed. No luck. Then, I tried dousing the area a few times with a squirt bottle of rubbing alcohol. No luck.

    This keyboard is completely done at this point, so I'd like to at least remove the plastic back and try soaking the whole think in rubbing alcohol with the logic board removed and not soaked, then re-assemble and see if that does it.

    Is there any way to safely remove the plastic back? I have removed the logic board assembly and pulled out the little rubber feet, but can't find anywhere that the plastic back is affixed to the housing of the keyboard.

    I have googled extensively for disassembly, teardown, etc. videos and tutorials and done a lot of reading and watching but no one even talks about trying to take the plastic back off. I'm guessing it's not doable but any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/RegretfulUsername
    [link] [comments]

    “iPhone Storage Almost Full”

    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 10:51 PM PST

    Nearly every night for the past week I've woken up to a red notification bubble on my Settings app. When I investigate, I find that the phone is telling me my iPhone storage is almost full (specifically my phone — not iCloud) and that I can get back a little over 5 GBs if I just delete some pics.

    When I check my iPhone storage, though, I have a little over 12 GBs left. I mean, sure, I ALSO have 5.5 GBs of photos and videos, but the amount of space left on my phone is double that.

    Anyone know how I can stop getting this message in the future (beyond deleting content)? It's annoying to clear it every morning!

    submitted by /u/JetteBlackInk
    [link] [comments]

    Music files to iPad Pro

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 09:56 AM PST

    As the title suggests, is there a way with the new iPad Pro to add music files directly to the music app?

    I.e. if I have a flash drive/external drive with music files, is there a way to add them to the iPad without using a pc?

    submitted by /u/KevinMcCallister13
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel