• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 24, 2018

    iPhone All the new XR Colors lined up.

    iPhone All the new XR Colors lined up.


    All the new XR Colors lined up.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 05:29 AM PDT

    Every time

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 06:54 PM PDT

    We’re living in 2018 while Antonio is living in 2118

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 11:47 PM PDT

    WSJ's review on the Xr is awesome. Not boring and cute!

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 06:08 AM PDT

    Just added my AT&T ESIM!

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 04:52 PM PDT

    My experience switching to an iPhone XS after 7 years of Android - the good, the neutral, the ugly

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 08:12 AM PDT

    TL;DR: I think that phone OS ecosystems for both Android and iOS have come a very long way. Both are incredibly optimized, fast, and support all the major apps you need. You really can't go wrong with either, it's just that each brings some different components to the table that may or may not matter to you. iOS has a bigger and better hardware ecosystem and better optimized and supported apps, while Android has more freedom in software and hardware choices. I just wanted to highlight my experiences with iOS 12 and the iPhone XS, for anyone else who may be interested in making the switch. I've used Android since 2011 before now, other than one brief stint with an iPhone 5s when my Note 4 broke a few years ago.

    THE GOOD

    1. Privacy. Privacy and security were my main reasons for switching to iOS. Android makes it fairly easy through Play Services for apps to collect location and other data in the background. My full thoughts on this matter can be found here. TL;DR: On iOS you can restrict location services to only be used when in a certain app, so they aren't running in the background. You can also disable background refresh for any app you want. Stock apple apps also are much more limited in tracking than Google apps. In the end you pay more for an iPhone, but your data isn't harvested and used to tailor ads.
    2. Polished apps. Most apps are just more optimized for iOS, plain and simple. For example, some of my banking and investing apps still don't support biometric authentication on Android but they all support FaceID on iOS. My Android Venmo app doesn't allow me to edit the split payments from the Venmo debit card like I can with the iOS app. Hell, even Google apps are more supported on iOS. Google Maps doesn't show playing music on the screen on the Android app while it does on the iOS app, YouTube got dark mode on iOS months before Android, and gBoard came out on iOS long before Android.
    3. The Apple ecosystem. Apple simply has an ecosystem that is unmatched by any Android offering other than maybe Samsung. WatchOS is miles ahead of WearOS, airpods with the W1 chip work incredibly well and pair easier and faster than any other bluetooth headphone, and Android has steadily pulled out of the tablet marked while iPads increasingly become more dominant.
    4. Gestures. I honestly thought I'd hate the gestures, and my first few hours with the phone seemed to confirm that. However, after using them for a while, they are a lot more intuitive and fluid than I expected. Apple's animations are really nice, and I almost never see any lag while using the phone.
    5. Battery life. I got 6 hours of screen on time on a regular sized XS with regular use. No other Android phone I've had has come close. A lot of this may be due to background drain. I can keep my iPhone in my pocket for hours on end and it'll stay at the same battery percentage, while my Android devices will invariably lose some battery during the time.
    6. Camera. Yeah, it's still not quite as good in some cases than the Pixel phones, but it's better than everything else. Also, video recording on the iPhones is still unmatched by any other phone.
    7. Updates and chip performance. 5 years of updates. The iPhone 5S came out in 2013 and got iOS12, and is still relatively fluid. To put it into perspective, the HTC One M7 and Galaxy S4 came out in 2013 as well and support was dropped years ago for those phones. That's bonkers. Last year's iPhone 8 still crushes most modern Android phones in chip performance, and the A12 Bionic just builds on that performance lead. That's bonkers.
    8. FaceID: It works a lot better than I expected, whether I'm indoors or out in the sun. Don't really miss my fingerprint sensors.

    THE NEUTRAL

    1. Widgets. Widgets are much more easily accessible on iOS, all you do is slide to the left screen and all your widgets are on one easily accessible screen. The widget options are also pretty nice, with a lot of my apps offering widgets on iOS that I didn't get on Android. I love the Shortcuts app and the widget that corresponds to it, with one tap on the widget I can calculate tip for eating out or navigate to my apartment. I don't like how widgets have only two sizes: collapsed and expanded. On Android you can resize widgets to show more or less information, and that's a big boon for me personally. For example, with my Robinhood stocks widget, I can choose to only display two or three of my followed stocks with Android, but on iOS I can only see either the collapsed state, which only shows a graph, or an expanded state, which shows every stock I'm currently following.
    2. 3D Touch. I love 3D Touch. It's a lot like a right click for mobile. You can use it to show previews of any link, you can use it to show quick options on the home screen, and you can even use it to easily navigate through and select text while using the keyboard. The problem is that Apple makes no effort to teach anyone how to use it, so many apps don't do anything with it. Some apps utilize it to its full potential (for example, Apollo for Reddit), but most don't offer anything at all. Some don't even bother setting up home screen 3D Touch quick actions. Even Apple seems to be phasing it out, as they aren't offering it on the iPhone XR, which definitely won't speed up adoption of the feature. When it's properly implemented by devs, it's an amazing experience that really had potential to be a groundbreaking innovation in mobile ecosystem navigation. Most devs, and Apple, just don't seem to care though.

    THE UGLY

    1. Multitasking. No split screen options, no picture-in-picture support, both of which Android has supported for multiple iterations now and does very well. The biggest issue personally is that I came in expecting apps to be kept in memory for a long time, especially with the software optimization Apple has going for it. Most speed tests that I watched online seemed to confirm that apps stayed in memory for a long time. Not in my experience, though. Usually 4 most used apps apps will stay open, the others will refresh/reload if I don't use them for an hour or two. I'm not sure if this is a problem only I am experiencing, but it's definitely disappointing.
    2. No back button. Sure, swiping from the left works 99% of the time, but it's still not as easy as tapping a back button, and not all apps support it on all screens.
    3. Lack of basic hardware features. We all know that Apple pioneered removing the headphone jack and still refuses to use USB-C. I personally use mostly Bluetooth and wireless charging now, which is why I felt comfortable switching. It's still a big negative though, since lighting cables aren't as ubiquitous as USB-C and cost more as well. Furthermore, Apple doesn't include the fast charging wall adapter and cable in the box, which is ridiculous in 2018. They even stopped including the headphone dongle, which is also head scratching.
    4. Lack of default app customization. I've been used to being able to choose which app I want to use for everything. On Android, I could choose to make Firefox or Chrome my main browser, with any links I click going to said default browser. I could use Textra as my default texting app. Sure, I like iMessage and Safari. I still would prefer having the ability to have the freedom to choose which apps I want to be default apps, however.
    5. Price. This is going to be the biggest deal for many. Sure, the XR is "only" $750, but that's still about as expensive as the top of the line Android flagships. The XS starts at $999, which is insane. Sure you could argue that it's worth it for 5 years of updates, and that iPhones keep their resale values for longer, but that's still a grand for a phone. You can get a OnePlus 6 that will do most of the same tasks with amazing performance for less than half that price.

    Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to be as thorough as possible. TL;DR once again: iOS and Android are both fantastic ecosystems. iOS is a walled garden experience, in which you can set things up initially and the phone will always work fantastically for half a decade. You get a great hardware ecosystem with the Apple Watches, Airpods, and iPads. In the end, you sacrifice some of the freedom (both hardware and software) you get with Android to do so. Whether that is worth it to you will depend on what you are looking for out of your phone.

    Personally, I'm done with fanboying one platform over the other. I absolutely love the iOS12 experience, but if Android evolves more I am open to coming back 2-3 years from now.

    submitted by /u/VanceIX
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody use a VPN? If so what do you recommend?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 03:32 AM PDT

    When researching online it's hard to know what VPNs are good and what are being sponsored to look good

    submitted by /u/Joronomo
    [link] [comments]

    Italian watchdog fines Apple, Samsung over software updates

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 06:03 AM PDT

    Screen time up 10,179%

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 10:35 AM PDT

    The iPhone XR

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 07:38 AM PDT

    Respected Supply Chain Analyst: Ming-Chi Kuo is out today with a new note on iPhone XR pre-order demand. As he previously predicted, the new device is outpacing the sales of iPhone 8/8 Plus from last year even as stock of XR remains good.

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 08:37 PM PDT

    Questions about upgrading

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 09:51 AM PDT

    I preordered the XR to finally upgrade from my 6. I've always upgraded phones in person at the AT&T store, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips about transferring as much as possible from your old phone to your new one on your own. I know there is an option to setup a new iPhone from an existing one, but how much is typically able to be transferred. (for example, I'm currently using the iOS 12 beta on my 6, but wouldn't want to use it on my XR). Do the 6 and the XR have the same SIM card size, and do new phones come with the tool to remove it?

    Also, I preordered through AT&T immediately when it was available, but my order status is still preparing to ship and the delivery by dates are October 29th-November 5th. Is that information correct or is there still a chance I get it on release day?

    submitted by /u/BryanH9
    [link] [comments]

    Question about the XR and portrait mode

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 08:14 AM PDT

    So...the XR is doing portrait mode/bokeh in software since it only has the single rear camera. Consequently, they have chosen to use a method that has portrait mode on the XR only working with people's faces, but where it doesn't work on inanimate objects or pets, etc. Is this a limitation of the kind of data that they are getting from the single camera, or is it a limitation of the way the software works today? If Google can do portrait mode/bokeh on inanimate objects n software with the Pixel 2/3, is there are reason why we shouldn't expect Apple to be able to do the same? Is it possible that they could roll out this capability in a future software update?

    submitted by /u/Goweschon
    [link] [comments]

    Where do all the SE's go?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 08:35 AM PDT

    Now that a bit of time has passed since the SE was removed from Apple's site; where do all the lovely SE overstock phones roam? I know there has to be a stockpile somewhere that were for sale/replacements.

    I want a mint 128GB Space Gray to replace my 64GB which would then become my backup. Seeing as there is no small phone form factor on the horizon (and I doubt they'd get the design right anyway since they already nailed it w/ 5/SE), I want something to tide me over until hell freezes over.

    I know they exist in the wild (found one on CL, albeit 250 miles away), but I'd rather not get these 3rd party refurbished units.

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/superheroninja
    [link] [comments]

    iMessages in iCloud using more space than it says?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 10:45 AM PDT

    Hello. I only use the 5gb free data for iCloud. It's almost full. I was seeing what I could clear out and noticed it says my iMessage takes up 3.2GB of space on iCloud.

    When I open it up to see the specific usage, it definitely does not add up to 3.2gb

    https://i.imgur.com/3YGcSNF.jpg

    How can I fix this?

    submitted by /u/southtea
    [link] [comments]

    Portrait mode color bug. (iPhone X iOS 12)

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 10:43 AM PDT

    'Speeding Up' iPhone 6 16GB in 2018 (iOS 12)

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 08:03 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am about to give my iPhone 6 16GB to my nephew after an upgrade and my goal is to make the device as optimal as possible for him. The two areas I am focusing on are 'speeding up' the device (in quotes on purpose) and optimizing the 16GB of storage as I know he will fill it up immediately. I know a lot of these tweaks might be placebo such as reduced motion but that is also what I am interested in - removing lag, reduced frame rate and overall defvice performance. Let me know what your thoughts are about the below list and if you have any recommendations.

    Tweaks:

    • Software > Clean install of iOS 12
    • Hardware > Replace battery for 100% health
    • Homescreen > Turn off all widgets
    • Screen Time > Turn off
    • Siri & Search > Turn off Siri
    • General > Turn off background app refresh
    • Accessibility > Turn on increase contrast
    • Accessibility > Turn on reduce motion
    • Accessibility > Turn on reduce transparency

    Optimize storage:

    • Messages > Delete after 30 days
    • General > Enable auto off-loading of apps

    What are your thoughts? Is some of this overkill and does not make a difference? Should I be doing anything else?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/heric1
    [link] [comments]

    Now I know why Apple’s address was ‘1 Infinite Loop’

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 10:02 AM PDT

    Battery life tips

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 09:36 AM PDT

    Any battery tips? Settings and etc....

    I'm using a iPhone 8

    submitted by /u/Cronus-Nyx
    [link] [comments]

    Stardew Valley now on iOS.

    Posted: 23 Oct 2018 10:20 AM PDT

    Any other reasons to upgrade to an iPhone XR from an iPhone 6s?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 09:07 AM PDT

    I read this article. I hate/love my 6s but everytime I think about upgrading I can't justify it. I can afford it but I get 2nd thoughts everytime I think about preordering.

    submitted by /u/Carl2011
    [link] [comments]

    2nd time in a month with overnight charging (green diag lines) and no charge - XS Max & wireless charging

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 05:10 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel