• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 27, 2018

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 26]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread [October 26]


    Daily Tech Support Thread [October 26]

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 08:15 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Wallpaper Wednesday [October 24]

    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 06:14 AM PDT

    Hello, /r/Apple, and welcome to Wallpaper Wednesday!

    Liven up your desktop space or iOS device with some new UI scenery! Please respect the rules below and upload the highest quality image you can find.

    Share your wallpaper on the r/Apple Discord.


    Rules

    1. Please use a reputable image host like imgur.com.
    2. No NSFW posts.
    3. Directly linked images only (albums are acceptable).

    This thread will remain stickied for 24 hours. At that time, the thread will remain active, and an archives link will be posted in the sidebar for easy access. You may also find archives here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Sources say Apple did not invite Bloomberg to its fall product event as retribution for its story about an alleged China hack

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 11:54 AM PDT

    AppStore doesn’t show in-App purchases list anymore

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 06:12 AM PDT

    I feel this'll lead to a lot of misleading purchases. Don't crucify me for this but let me use Carrot Weather as an example. With the initial price of $4.99 and no way to see what the subscriptions cost, many future purchasers would be left with a half-functioning app if they wanted to use it on their Apple Watch, unless they opt for the subscriptions, the prices of which are now conveniently hidden.

    submitted by /u/aapranto
    [link] [comments]

    I wish the Airpod Case had a battery indicator similar to how MacBooks used to

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 03:47 PM PDT

    This may be contrary to popular opinion or want but I would love to be able to know how charged the AirPod case was at a glance in a way that didn't require me to interface with my phone. An "at a glance" LED on the case would be SO convenient. Not because I couldn't just look at my phone but because sometimes I don't want to. That and the airpods disappear from the iPhone a few seconds after they're put away and so does battery information. Sometimes tactic information is better than interface information and I think so here in particular.

    submitted by /u/monabluespeaks
    [link] [comments]

    Copyright Office rules in favor of your right to repair your own phone

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 05:57 PM PDT

    Pixel 3 Night Sight vs iPhone XS Camera Comparison

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 05:08 PM PDT

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL6MzTl5b14

    Not meant as a deragatory post or anything, Im sorry if its taken that way, but the fact that Smartphones can take these pictures at night at almost pitch black is fascinating as hell, and would most probably be used by Apple in the future too

    submitted by /u/harjotm3
    [link] [comments]

    iOS treats the XR like a Plus/Max class device.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 09:47 AM PDT

    That means you get those nice two column landscape modes in Messages, Mail etc.

    Edited for clarification.

    submitted by /u/MonstersUGrad98
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone X user switching to XR. A few thoughts.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 06:12 PM PDT

    I've used an iPhone X for a year and I just received the iPhone XR. I'd like to share a few thoughts and feelings I've come across while setting up the new phone.

    For those of you wondering why I'm switching: I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program and I've been paying around ~$55/month for the X and the XR will bring that down to ~$35/month.

    1. The feel - After using the X for a year, picking up the XR did not feel at home in my hands. I immediately felt that it was bigger in every dimension - wider, taller, heavier. See here for some comparison shots I took. Edit: After using the XR for an hour and picking up the X again, the X has a slightly more premium feel to it. The smaller body with the steel casing just feels better. Steel feels colder than aluminum and I think there's some kind of psychological matching going on where I'm equating that cold feeling to a higher quality object.

    2. The white color - Another immediately noticeable difference is the white back. The X has a much duller white back, while the XR looks more like a white piece of paper. I prefer the white on X as it has much more depth.

    3. The bezel - The bezel is noticeably thicker, but screen real estate has effectively increased from the X, so it's still very much usable. While I was setting up the phone not once did I care about the slightly thicker bezel. The bezels on the X do looks prettier being thinner but this is really a first world problem.

    4. The display - This is a popular topic, and I feel this is blown way, way out of proportion. I can't tell the difference. I really can't. If you asked me to do a blind test I wouldn't be able to tell. What I can tell is that brightness drops off-axis on the XR but I mostly use my screen on-axis so I don't care much for this either.

    I haven't touched the camera yet; I usually only take photos when I go on major trips so I'm skipping that.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    submitted by /u/coffee_py
    [link] [comments]

    The iPad Pro and Apple Pencil have completely made me paper free at work!

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 04:59 PM PDT

    This is one use that not alot of people mention, but at my office, i have papers for everything. My desk was filling up and it looked awful. I decided to just try to use notes and the pencil for smaller notes and stuff, and suddenly that turned to all my forms and other various papers. Now my desk is completely clean and i have notes organized by everything. Im sure some people do this and im late to the game, but its just so nice to have a fresh pad available anytime!

    submitted by /u/Sexy_Persian
    [link] [comments]

    iFixit iPhone XR teardown

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 11:33 AM PDT

    The new dark mode has made my MacBook 10x more appealing

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 08:19 AM PDT

    I didn't see much appreciation for the new dark mode, but I already love the way it looks on my Mac.

    submitted by /u/sfarahani201
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else blown away by the screen on the Xr?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 04:29 PM PDT

    I got an Xr as a dev device, and it's an incredible screen.

    I never had a non-plus iPhone so I expected the resolution to be barely acceptable.

    I held up the Xr next to an Xs and at zoomed text they were almost the same. At the smallest text sizes there's no pretending, the Xs does have a crazy high resolution, but the fringes (see below) get more apparent there too.

    In fact I'd go as far to say I actually preferred the Xr in some ways! No pentile so no weird "chromatic aberration-ish" effects, and whatever anti-aliasing iOS is doing for the Xr is incredible.

    Blacks are no contest obviously, but the Xr colors feel more.. relaxed? True Tone was on for both but my Xs looked a little more yellow and a little more saturated.

    Bezels are fine, super impressive that the curve has even lighting on an LCD.

    Just all around better than I was expecting.

    submitted by /u/MustyMustelidae
    [link] [comments]

    From a customer the other day: "And you thought YOU needed a new battery!" (See photo)

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 03:40 PM PDT

    Customer called our shop with an iPad Air 1 that "wouldn't last long on a charge". We don't like doing iPad batteries very much, so we upgraded him to a refurbished iPad Pro 9.7". Cycles aren't that high, but DAMN, look at that percentage.

    https://imgur.com/a/pg676GB

    If you can top this one somehow, share away! (Health, not cycles. I've seen cycles in the thousands before, but never a percentage this low)

    For clarification, this iPad was at the point of lasting a good 5 minutes on a full charge. And surprisingly the Tristar/PMIC tested good!

    submitted by /u/JDB3326
    [link] [comments]

    [iBooks] iPhone User Guide for iOS 12.1

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 02:23 PM PDT

    Quick-thinking Apple intern uses Apple Watch as logging tool during in-flight emergency

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 06:49 AM PDT

    Apple needs a "Playing Near You" feature.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 09:38 PM PDT

    It's one of my favorite features of Google Music, especially when I'm visiting Austin and other cities that have a lot of live music/venues.

    submitted by /u/fatpat
    [link] [comments]

    Pictures of my red XR

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 07:56 AM PDT

    Watch the CNN interview with Tim Cook at Apple Brussels

    Posted: 27 Oct 2018 12:29 AM PDT

    If I cancel Apple Music and rejoin in the future, will my songs still be saved or will I have to go add them all back again?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 09:39 PM PDT

    Apple Maps public transit travel now available in Switzerland, indoor maps at Zurich airport

    Posted: 27 Oct 2018 12:26 AM PDT

    How exactly is the iPhone Xr LCD better than iPhone 8 Plus LCD?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 06:46 PM PDT

    The iPhone 8 Plus has a higher PPI (401), whereas the Xr has the same PPI as iPhone 4 (326). Both have P3 Wide Color and True Tone.

    What's so special about the word "liquid" inserted into the Xr's Retina display (which I assume is why it's touted as apples best LCD)?

    submitted by /u/Ultra_Necrozma
    [link] [comments]

    What Apple might announce at its October 30 “special event” in Brooklyn

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 07:43 PM PDT

    A quick reminder to use two-factor authentication!

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 08:12 AM PDT

    Woke up this morning with a message on my iPhone, saying that my apple ID was being used near Nanchang, Jiangxi, China (I live in the midwest US).

    This pretty much freaked me out, as it confirms that someone in China had my apple ID and password. The only thing stopping them from using my account was the two-factor authentication.

    Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

    submitted by /u/Aydarsh
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone X or iPhone XR

    Posted: 27 Oct 2018 12:25 AM PDT

    Normally, the price would be the deciding factor, but in my country, both are the same price, so I was wondering, which one is really a better choice

    submitted by /u/Hises1936
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone Xs Stolen

    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 03:10 PM PDT

    I recently purchase a brand new iPhone Xs 256Gb for my girlfriend on her birthday. It was paid in full up front - but unfortunately a week later it was stolen while we were out at the mall.

    "Find my iPhone" was turned on & the device was passcode protected, but it seems that whoever stole it immediately took out the sim & the device hasn't reconnected to the internet to report its location yet (its been over a week now)

    We didn't have insurance or Apple care on the device, so are we entirely out of luck in terms of tracking it down?

    We've reported the device as stolen with the mall & with AT&T, but is there anything else we can do in this situation?

    submitted by /u/HoLeeCheet
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel