• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 20, 2021

    macOS How do you browse reddit on your MacBook?

    macOS How do you browse reddit on your MacBook?


    How do you browse reddit on your MacBook?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 12:51 PM PDT

    Recently got my first MacBook and I'm trying to distance myself from Google products. However, I can't seem to find a way to browse reddit like I would on Chrome/Firefox. Normally I use RES for things like dark mode and infinite reddit. I also used Hover Zoom to show pics/play videos just by hovering over the link. I haven't been able to find anything similar for Safari. I'm hating having to click next page or click on links just to see a picture when everything used to be so streamlined.

    Are there any solutions that you folks might know of? I hate to give up all of the benefits of sticking with Safari but reddit is the bulk of my browsing.

    submitted by /u/coffeewaterhat
    [link] [comments]

    Safe to use high sierra in 2021?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2021 12:45 AM PDT

    My macbook pro 2011 cant get any newer macos with out using dosdude1 patcher, but i dont want to fiddle with that.

    So my question is can i use high sierra and switch browser to firefox and continue my life or is it a bad move?

    submitted by /u/aldorgan
    [link] [comments]

    Android and Mac: how to achieve notification mirroring, file-sharing, hand-off and clipboard-sharing (with some caveats)

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 04:03 AM PDT

    I'm one of those that use Android and Windows forever, before recently migrating to M1 MBA but haven't bought the iPhone yet because my android is still solid.

    Requirements

    To take full advantage of this method, you need to have

    1. Alfred's Powerpack on your Mac (without this, you'd be able to get android→Mac functions but Mac→android won't be easy.)
    2. Pushbullet on android
    3. Noti.center (lives on your Mac menu bar for for notification mirroring)

    Then, follow this Github to get the pushbullet workflow I made for Alfred.

    How it works

    • Notification mirroring: Noti.center will live in your Mac menu bar and will act as receiver for android notification (configure in pushbullet app which apps you want to receive notification from).
    • File sharing, Hand-off and Clipboard-sharing (android to mac): Noti.center will also mirror anything that's push to your android's pushbullet so you can share websites, text, or files to your own android and they will also show up as notification on your Mac. Websites and files are especially convenient because clicking on the notification will automatically open in your default browser. As for text, clicking on it won't do anything so you'd need OCR apps (I recommend OwlOCR; free) to capture the text from the notification.Tip: toggle on "Show targets in the Share menu" from the android app so you can share to yourself easily.
    • Hand-off and Clipboard-sharing (Mac to android): This is where Alfred comes in. From the workflow I've set it so typing "push <insert text here>" will push the texts to android. In the pushbullet app, you can toggle on the "Automatically copy links & notes" so whatever is pushed can be pasted immediately (kinda-like clipboard sharing). Moreover, in Alfred you can also type "push url" and it'll automatically get the URL of current tab (browser must be active) and push it to android.

    Unfortunately file-sharing from Mac→android isn't possible so your best bet is to go to pushbullet.com and push it manually. I'm sure there are ways to use Alfred's file action to push files but I'm new to all this so not at the moment.

    As you can see, it's not at all "magical" like those in the Apple ecosystem but unless my android breaks soon (unlikely), I'll be relying on these methods for quite some time.

    Edit: For file sharing, I found Octofile to be the best. It runs in the background on both Mac and android and as long as you're on the same network, you can send files back and forth at incredible speed. The android app is a bit ad-heavy, but it works well.

    submitted by /u/billza7
    [link] [comments]

    Ordered Macbook Pro M1 last week before airpod promotion - quick question.

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 09:39 PM PDT

    Hey everyone just have a quick question,

    I just saw in the apple store that they are giving away airpods to students who purchase a Ipad or Macbook. I ordered mine about a week ago, do you think it is possible for me to get the air-pod promotion if I contact or call apple? It is still shipping and should arrive by Wednesday.

    If you have any opinions I would really appreciate it, I was trying to buy a pair of airpods so Im hoping to save some money.

    submitted by /u/loudmvn
    [link] [comments]

    iMac already knows my wifi password???

    Posted: 20 Jun 2021 01:45 AM PDT

    I have a couple of Apple devices (Macbook, iPhone, Watch6...). I recently took delivery of an M1 iMac. I connected it up, switched on, went through setup, connected to LAN via Ethernet. Finished setup ... all excellent.
    I disconnected the Ethernet cable to test connecting wirelessly and the iMac found my WLAN (of course) but then connected without me having to enter the wireless password. That surprised me.
    Can someone please explain how it already knew the password? (I have iCloud Keychain set OFF)...
    Thanks

    submitted by /u/SameAsylum
    [link] [comments]

    photos library duplicates when importing from iphone

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 08:12 PM PDT

    Hello! So I have around 24,000 photos on my iphone right now and it's taking too much space. I've never really tried backing it up or such but now i do. I tried to use the mac's photos app to import my photos but every time the import is done i go back to the device tab and it keeps saying there are still photos that need to be imported even if i saw some photos already in the library so i end up having duplicates. I don't know if all photos are already imported or if just some. So i don't know if all photos in my phone were actually in the photos app already.

    So i tried image capture. The issue with importing using that is that the download stops all of a sudden and when i try to import again it ends up having duplicates.

    Is there any fix to this? I've been researching and I saw people use photo sweeper and stuff. I even tried repairing the library as well. How do you guys back up you photos? I don't want to use icloud cause i'll need to pay for the highest storage fee huhu. Thank you all in advance!!

    submitted by /u/ToThe_Streets
    [link] [comments]

    Safari 15 on Mac OS, a user interface mess

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 06:08 AM PDT

    I can’t update software anymore (catalina 10.15.7), it says to check the internet connection regardless of wifi statues and that updates are managed externally ?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    Big Surr Graphics Bug - Weird Display Issues Typically After Wake from Sleep

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 04:31 PM PDT

    Image (it didn't post in original post) : https://i.imgur.com/9ew7tFJ.jpg

    Title basically says it all. The picture shows this weird display issue I experience typically when booting up my macbook from sleep. Sometimes it happens when I boot from off or restart. Restarting usually fixes the problem. I was wondering if anybody else experiences this problem, has a name for the graphical issue, and/or a solution. The bug doesn't happen all the time, but I wish it didn't happen all that often so I don't have to keep restarting my mac and needing to reposition all my programs/browsers to their respective desktop/display. Gear listed below (they gave me a company card and they said get whatever you "need" to WFH so I "did").

    System Specs: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019), 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X

    OS: macos 11.4 (20F71)

    EGPU: Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB inside Mantiz Venus MZ-02 connected via Thunderbolt 3 Pro Cable

    Displays: Samsung C49RG90 connected from EGPU via 2 display port cables to act as two different 27' displays (good for easier window tiling via Magnet app, LG 34UM61-P (set vertically), and 15 inch Macbook Retina Display

    submitted by /u/TheDrummerJames
    [link] [comments]

    Why can’t I update to Big Sur?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 10:49 PM PDT

    I've been trying all morning and I'm stuck with 10.13.16 or something like that, late 2015 machine. What am I supposed to do? I tried downloading the Big Sur update straight from the App Store, it worked and restarted and I still had 10.13. Then when I tried installing I got an error message.

    submitted by /u/Mellissandre_91
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a x264 encoder bluray compliant

    Posted: 20 Jun 2021 01:56 AM PDT

    Hi friends,

    I'm slowly migrate from Windows to Macos, and so far so good.
    Except than I can't find a simple professional software to encode Bluray compliant file with the x264 encoder,

    On windows, I use Pegasys Tmpgenc mastering works which works great, is easy to use, and produce stunning results. I use it for mpeg2 DVD as well.

    Is there something similar on Mac Os ?
    I spend 4 hours trying to find something, with no luck.

    Thanks for your help

    submitted by /u/frenshprince
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur graphics issues

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 02:16 PM PDT

    Google Chrome on MacOS Mojave is suddenly blank...

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 03:03 PM PDT

    Google Chrome on MacOS Mojave is suddenly blank...

    Hey guys,

    So I patch-installed Mojave on my 2009 MacBook Pro (15 inch, Core 2 Duo).

    Initially after installing Google Chrome and logging in, the next time I restarted it.....well....this happens.

    I don't know what to do as I have installed an older version of Chrome only for it to update itself and run into this same problem again.

    If this has happened to you as well, what was your solution? Thank you in advance!

    PS: Please do not recommend any other browser as I have two installed already and I need the Chrome for my school work...

    https://preview.redd.it/om5y0ubepa671.png?width=1440&format=png&auto=webp&s=a14edd885700ac1157be897159ee9396ee0d4619

    submitted by /u/Low_Entrepreneur_927
    [link] [comments]

    I made a Big Sur inspired icon for a Minecraft client called Lunar Client. No, this isn't an original post. https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/nf7h58/so_ive_created_this_macos_big_sur_icon_for_the/ was the person with the original idea. I just added on to it.

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 07:31 PM PDT

    How to Install Tafi Avatar on Mac using Winebottler?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 06:22 PM PDT

    I'm a computer noob and can't figure this out. There's no tutorials on how to do this with Mac, sadly.

    submitted by /u/DryCoast
    [link] [comments]

    I suspect my Macbook Pro M1 is using Airplay 1 (stuttering & delays)

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 06:22 PM PDT

    Hello, I have 2 homepod minis on my desk (brand-new). They have a delay in airplay audio by about 2 seconds.

    When I press pause / play, it takes about 2 seconds for the speakers to stop/start.
    Sometimes audio for videos is also delayed by 2 seconds.
    There is also a static-style stutter that happens on occasion.

    This ONLY happens with my Macbook Pro 13" M1. My iPhone / iPad are instant and perfect. Does anyone know how to fix this? I googled and it sounds like my Macbook is using Airplay 1...

    I have already tried (a) restarting both macbook & homepods (b) resetting macbook v/pram (c) re-pairing speakers with my iCloud account.

    submitted by /u/thecormeistro
    [link] [comments]

    TIL that in Safari's fullscreen mode, you can access the sidebar easily by hovering at the left edge of the screen

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 06:13 PM PDT

    This allows for easy access to bookmarks and reading list (I always hide my favorite bar).

    Combined with the upcoming menu bar visible in fullscreen from MacOS Monterey, fullscreen will become my go-to way to use Safari.

    submitted by /u/billza7
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone faced “kenel panics” on m1 macbook pro? I have been using mine for just over a month and never face anything like this until today. I’ve been using safari a lot, could that be a problem? I’ve read a blog of someone saying using firefox over safari made his kenel panics to occur less often

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 04:26 PM PDT

    Trying to test my system, and figure out it's issues, I was asked for my password before, and entered it,and it's under my indication that it's asks you for your password a second time when accessing the Startup Security Ultiliy, but I'm faced with this situation where I'm ask to make a new pass

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 04:23 PM PDT

    My MacBook keeps asking me if I want to record my screen, and I don't know how to turn it off

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 03:00 PM PDT

    Hello! I have a MacBook Pro and I've been playing a game with a bluetooth controller. Every time I double tap the select button on my controller (which is necessary for the game), a big prompt comes up asking me if I give permission for it to record my screen. Even if I say no, it just asks again next time I do it. How can i turn this off? (Worst case scenario I can change my controls in the game settings but I don't want to do that if there's a better way)

    submitted by /u/SapoteJoust
    [link] [comments]

    Can you put Page up, Page down, home, and end on the touch bar?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    Like the heading says. Mac does not have Page up, Page down, home, or end on their keyboards. But they do have a touchbar. Can you add the missing keys to the touchbar?

    submitted by /u/B_A_Skeptic
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel