• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 3, 2021

    Apple Macbook Stuck on Intel MB vs. M1 MB vs. M1X MB? Read this.

    Apple Macbook Stuck on Intel MB vs. M1 MB vs. M1X MB? Read this.


    Stuck on Intel MB vs. M1 MB vs. M1X MB? Read this.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 01:16 PM PST

    Do you need to use Windows, Adobe, or need 4 ports at this moment?

    Intel MBA or MBP is probably the way to go then.

    Is your budget for a new MacBook below $1800 USD?

    Without a doubt, go for M1 MBA or M1 MBP! Both are amazing devices, and for most part are more than enough to meet your daily needs. Another reason I'm suggesting them is because the M1X MBs are supposed to be replacing the 13" MBPs with 4 ports or more and the 16" MBPs and the cheapest one of those currently starts at $1800 USD, meaning that if you need a MBP or MBA priced below $1800 USD, now might be your shot.

    I need a MacBook like, today, and I can't wait any longer, but I don't need to use Windows, Adobe, or 4 ports.

    M1 MBA and MBP all the way.

    I don't care how much money I spend on a MacBook, and I can wait.

    Definitely wait for the M1X MBP. Although the rumors are not confirmed, even if half of them are true, it'll be a huge upgrade. M1X will be a huge performance jump from M1, which is already a beast, likely will come with 16 GB RAM standard which is sweet, and potentially get a redesign with better FaceTime camera, less bezels, mini LED, etc. It's definitely worth the wait considering we have less than a year till they are announced.

    I need 4 ports or more, but I can wait.

    Definitely M1X for the reasons above.

    Okay, I'm one of those people who's going to buy a M1 MacBook right now, but how do I decide between the Air and the Pro?

    The only reasons it would be worth going for the Pro are:

    • A: You love the Touch Bar so much, and it's one of your favorite features in the new MacBooks.
    • B: You do really, really heavy video, music, and sound editing, and you need as much power as you can get, even if it's a very small increase as the MBP comes with a fan.

    Otherwise, the Air is just a significantly better value and far cheaper. In fact, the 8 core MBA, with the same chip, RAM, etc. costs $50 cheaper than the base MBP, and the 7 core MBA is nearly $300 cheaper. Very nice.

    Hope this helped you all!


    [link] [comments]

    MacBook stuck on infinite loop. Help?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 10:59 AM PST

    Prolonging Battery Tips for Student

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 08:24 AM PST

    I am a grad student and I Just bought a new M1 MacBook Air, determined to maintain the battery life as long as possible.

    How often should I charge my MacBook? What apps take up the least CPU?

    submitted by /u/LovefromAbroad23
    [link] [comments]

    Music App Opens When I Connect Bluetooth

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 11:41 PM PST

    Just picked up an M1 MBA, What Adapter to buy?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 03:45 PM PST

    As title says, I need a USB C > A adapter with at least 2-3 ports, I'm wary of what to choose because of all the Power Delivery issues bricking these and I'm not sure what to buy.

    submitted by /u/UnMix3
    [link] [comments]

    Processing

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 03:12 PM PST

    Hi, apologies for the question that's already been asked multiple times, I'm just struggling to find one that relates to the UK. I ordered a MacBook Air, just the base model, on Thursday 25th February. I got an estimated delivery date of 5th-12th March. I'm just wondering how long it'll be in processing for.

    I've never ordered anything from the apple shop, so this is also new to me!

    I also used the student discount for 10% off, which means it was the education store, if that makes any difference.

    Thank you in advance and, again, sorry for the repeated question.

    submitted by /u/Gibby9
    [link] [comments]

    If I can wait until July 2021, should I wait and not purchase the M1 MacBook Air now?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 03:50 PM PST

    I'm in a situation where I don't absolutely NEED a new MacBook Air now (my 2015 MBA is still holding up fairly strongly but is showing signs of dying), but if a better MBA is coming later this year (before July 2021), I can wait.

    My priorities are as follows:

    - I want my MBA to last at least 5 years under relatively average usage (~12-14 hours web browsing, Zoom, Microsoft Office, and very light video editing)

    - I don't care at all about outer design. My 2015 MBA still looks sexy to me.

    - I don't want to spend much more than $1000-1200 total.

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/thisismyusername7765
    [link] [comments]

    How to keep battery charged at 80% only?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 12:46 PM PST

    The MacBook's battery management system supposedly learns my usage patterns, but I've only seen it stop charging at 80% only once. The rest of the time it continues charging up to 100%. How can I force my MacBook to stop at 80%?

    Edit: I'm using an M1 MacBook BTW.

    submitted by /u/simoncpu
    [link] [comments]

    Mac update stuck

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 04:55 PM PST

    I'm updating my macbook air to the sierra OS. Laptop ran out of battery. Turned on and login screen came on. After logging it it went to the black screen with the mac logo. It's been at the same point, not advancing, for a long while. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/astralcarsonmars
    [link] [comments]

    Swap Memory Issue...

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 08:04 PM PST

    Is the swap memory issue a M1 thing?? Or is it a Big sur thing? If it is a M1 thing, I would rather by a Intel MacBook

    submitted by /u/00Turag
    [link] [comments]

    The M1 MacBook Air Is a Gamechanger!

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 03:33 PM PST

    I've only had my M1 Air for 2 days and it has already blown me away. My daily machine is a docked i7 16 in MBP with 32GB of ram that I paid about $3500 for not even a year ago. This budget M1 is much more efficient and super snappy, I hardly even want to use the 16 inch anymore.

    Battery:
    While I've only had the machine for 2 days, I can't speak too much about this, but i will share my experience so far. When I received the Air, it was at a 62% charge. I used it on and off from about 5:30 PM all the way to just about 5:30 AM that morning (keyboard and screen brightness set on low, probably about 10 safari tabs open with 1 video playing and getting some work done in Notion). When I finally went to bed at about 5:30 AM, I still had 23% battery life. This is insane. I would've drained my MBP 2017 multiple times in the same amount of time.

    This morning I woke up and took it right off of the charger. I've been mostly doing some light work in the browser. I even loaded up Photoshop (which isn't even optimized for M1 yet) and designed some business cards for a client. About 6 hours later and the battery is at 79% as I type this. I've been working consistently, with only a few short breaks and about an hour break at lunchtime.

    My 16 inch dies in 3-4 hours doing the exact same kind of work. This becomes annoying when I'm meeting with clients because I have to lug around the big power brick with me. My old 2017 was decent on battery life, but I still had to bring a charger along when I was going to be out longer than 3-4 hours and needed to use the laptop.

    The 30W power brick is also so easy to carry around compared to the bigger 65W brick for the MBP. It's the same size as the one for the iPad.

    Keyboard:
    This keyboard is leaps and bounds better than the previous 2017 butterfly model. It is pretty similar to the 16-inch keyboard in feel. The typing experience on this is a dream.

    The tapered edge on the M1 Air also makes typing a much nicer experience compared to the MBP. The blocky design on the MBP seems to dig into my wrists when I'm typing for a long time.

    Do I miss the touch bar? Simply put, no. While the touch bar does have some okay-ish features that are hardly useful, I never really used it. I like the fact that I can use tactile buttons to adjust brightness, volume and change tracks much easier.

    Display:

    I was a little worried that moving from the 500nit display on my old MBP to the 400 nit display on the Air would bother me. Truthfully, I haven't noticed a difference. I actually prefer this one since it has Trutone which makes things a little easier on my eyes. I also think its so cool that as soon as I open the lid, the login screen is immediately on and ready to go. Im thinking the M1 allows that to happen somehow.

    Speed:

    This is another area the M1 shines. It's just as fast (if not faster), than my $3k+ 16 inch. I ran the test and it seems that the M1 beats the Intel i7 by a good amount in both single and multi-core benchmarks. A $1000 laptop outperforming at $3500 laptop??

    I had contemplated going with the 16GB of RAM over the base 8GB, and decided the 8GB would probably be enough since Ill be doing most of the heavy work at my desk anyways. So far, the 8GB hasn't slowed down one bit, and ive been multitasking too. I notice that its writes 4GB to swap memory when I'm doing a lot of things at once, but it still has yet to slow down at all. Im not too worried about the swap. My MBP 16 writes to swap occasionally as well, even with 32GB, it's how they are designed to work.

    I 100% recommend the M1 to anyone who is in the market for a laptop. At the price point, the performance can't be beaten. I've tried the Surface Pro, intel MacBook Pro and the iPad Pro 12.9 as portable solutions for my work. The M1 Air has exceeded my expectations so far.

    If you are needing a dedicated GPU, I assume Apple will be releasing something for the 16 inch this year. Don't settle for the Intel MBP unless you absolutely have to!

    submitted by /u/Fine_Fishing
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone unable to use the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app on M1?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 03:20 PM PST

    Since Photoshop 2021 won't work on the M1 Macbooks, I'm trying to download the Beta Silicon version... but now the Adobe Creative Cloud app is entirely unresponsive too - I can't click anywhere in it, and nothing in the menu bar works either. I have to force quit. Have tried a fresh install but no luck either. Anyone have a solution?!

    submitted by /u/shotkit
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook tips and tricks

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 02:28 PM PST

    - How to change the background image of folders & the shape, color, and image of folders icons? MacOS

    https://youtu.be/ylBl1fjhCpc

    - How to add spaces between icons in the DOCK ribbon on your Mac OS Big Sur, Mojave, ... 🍽📏

    https://youtu.be/GuF_h5NfrOw

    - ✅(SOLVED) "you do not have permission to open the application" only 3 steps to open apps on big sur

    https://youtu.be/dmNhKjHuhH0

    - Clean Up the Leftover Files after applications uninstall - free - fast

    https://youtu.be/ER-MJlYmuTg

    - Add multiple images into a single WORD page, FAST, Side by side, arranged, annotate, and edited easy

    https://youtu.be/-1Y3kyH_dog

    - A simple trick to free up space on the hard drive of your Mac !! BigSur, Mojave, Sierra, ....

    https://youtu.be/0HMFYjiZssE

    - Free recording of MAC screen very simple & free

    https://youtu.be/zSNT62QrGn0

    - Free screenshots of Part or fullscreen of MAC OSX Big Sur

    https://youtu.be/6HVFh0ilVWE

    - ((SOLVED)) "app is damaged and can't be opened" only 2 steps to open apps on big sur

    https://youtu.be/DrNcsTcZvhg

    - How to fix Adobe Zii 2021 app is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image, MAC ✅

    https://youtu.be/fXDw9NWDn3w

    - you can edit a movie trailer like that Godzilla Vs Kong- 2021 - rebuild Trailer focusing on Monsters using Movavi pro application

    https://youtu.be/X-2iQIXMct8

    - How to create a bootable official macOS Big Sur USB install drive? very simple, step by step

    https://youtu.be/rEECyTIlkug

    - How to add, move & remove menu bar icons on macOS

    https://youtu.be/_W5b5_vkMV8

    submitted by /u/Sherif055
    [link] [comments]

    What is everyone doing to maintain and preserve strong batteries?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 05:57 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I often use my 16" MBP in clamshell mode, connected to my external monitor, with the power plugged in. I've heard of Al Dente and other apple battery health management tools. However, I've also heard if you maintain the computer plugged in, you are not using battery power.

    Would you please comment and detail what, if anything, you are doing to maintain battery health?

    Thanks,

    submitted by /u/LostCosmonauts
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any camera covers for the Macbook Pro??

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 11:02 AM PST

    I know everyone says not to put a camera cover on because of the screen cracking problem. Are there any out there that work & don't damage the laptop? (Other than a piece of tape lol)

    submitted by /u/imance
    [link] [comments]

    M1 Macbook air : 8 Core GPU vs 16GB RAM

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 10:13 AM PST

    Hi, looking at picking up the M1 Macbook air and wanting to upgrade to either 512 8 core GPU or the 16gb of RAM.

    I want to keep this for a good 5 years so I'd ideally like to pick the one that will go towards the longevity of the device. I have seen a few people mention the SSD degrading at a faster rate if swap memory is used too often.

    I'll mostly be using it for browsing, work, garageband and the odd light game here or there. I know someone who is able to get Apple discount so I won't be paying any extra than the base model (I am also wondering whether to just go for the 16GB of RAM and the 8 core GPU)

    This is my first Apple computer so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/RobertLoosefingers21
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro 2019, 27" USB-C monitor, what dock? Lend me your experiences!

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 09:17 AM PST

    I have a C level who just replaced his old Macbook (still has USB) with a MacBook Pro 16-Inch "Core i9" 2.4 2019. He was using one of those old 27" Apple Cinema Displays (Mini DisplayPort connection). I did some research to see what I could do to keep the monitor and upgrade his dock, but.. no. I saw the options and didn't like all the reviews that stated they couldn't do the exact to-the-letter config I was attempting.

    No problem. C Level means I've got flexibility. So I'm going to buy a 27" USB-C monitor to replace his old one. He'll never need another monitor, likes to run his Macbook closed and use the monitor by itself, and has very little else in the way of peripherals (USB printer, occasionally an external HDD, etc.) Does anyone have any insight with choosing the best dock for this setup? I've looked at CalDigit TS3+, Brydge Stone Pro Multiport Hub, Kensington Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station SD5300T. These seems to be the front runners so far. I'm open to any suggestions, though. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/alpha-delta-echo
    [link] [comments]

    Help

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 12:20 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    So my MacBook only charges when I plug it directly into the socket, and it stopped charging from the power supply I usually charge it at, so I switched it and it worked.

    Also when I move the Mac when it charges, it shuts down. It keeps repeatedly doing that.

    I'm not sure if the problem is with my Mac or charger or both

    submitted by /u/lok89
    [link] [comments]

    Buying Macbook Air M1 online in Canada

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 11:56 AM PST

    Hi Guys, I've been meaning to buy Macbook Air and the price is still at MSRP of 1299 + Tax on Apple and Bestbuy. Can you let me know where I can get any discounts online?

    submitted by /u/MasterUltra
    [link] [comments]

    Work around for cracked display

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 11:06 AM PST

    Hi I cracked my display and now have a permanent black line in the right side I don't have the money for now to repair it the bar is blocking a portion is there any software workaround to make things easer to see?

    submitted by /u/Leo21653
    [link] [comments]

    Time Machine Macbook M1 to Intel

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 10:51 AM PST

    So I have an M1 macbook air, got it backed up with time machine on an external drive.

    I'm planning to use this backup to restore all my files to an intel Macbook Pro 15 inch.

    Will it work like this or can I expect trouble?

    submitted by /u/Dualinput
    [link] [comments]

    How can I delete full-resolution photos from Macbook only/replace them with low-res photos and leave anything in iCloud?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 04:50 AM PST

    Photos I made on iPhone are 30GB in size - which is a lot. I would like to SAFELY delete them (as I do not need to keep originals on my MacBook...), but I don't want to completely separate this MacBook from iCloud. I would like an option to have row-les on MacBook and download them when I open them.

    I even clicked option to 'Optimize my storage', but not only is says that it will keep originals where possible and delete them only if needed, but my disc is currently full (literally 800MB free) and no photo were deleted - still 30gb of it. So I need something better than that.

    TL;DR, I want to delete/optimize my photos on Mac and keep originals in iCloud.

    submitted by /u/skend24
    [link] [comments]

    Dead MacBook Pro Logic Board

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 06:37 AM PST

    One morning I woke up to my 2016 MacBook Pro 15" with its fans running at 100%. The computer was not hot in any way, in fact it was quite cold. I assumed it was an SMC failure, however, upon opening the lid the computer did not want to boot. The apple logo would appear but the bar would only go about a third way before resetting. I force shut down the computer with ctrl+alt+shift+power and attempted to reset the SMC and NVRAM multiple times; however, nothing appeared to work. I got on a chat with Apple Support where they tried the same thing with no results. I was able to get into the recovery menu, where I was instructed to do a drive erase and a reinstallation of MacOS. The reinstallation failed and instead we restarted the computer and went into the Internet Recovery section. We wiped the drives again and tried, but failed, a reinstallation of MacOS. I was instructed to restart my computer again, but into recovery instead of internet recovery. I was unable to get into recovery and instead I could only get into internet recovery. I force shut down the computer again to try to get into recovery mode, but the computer started acting really weird. It was able to turn on and get into the initial internet recovery screen, but it would turn off as I was entering my internet password in. I kept trying to boot into recovery but the computer was staying on for a shorter and shorter amount of time after every power-on. Eventually the computer was turning on and off so quickly and I had no control over it. It was not responding to anything and its fans, which were still at 100%, kept powering on and off. Eventually everything stopped and the computer did not turn on at all. I took it to my local Apple Store which said it was a logic board failure and I payed the repair fee for a new one.

    However, I'm wondering where anything could have gone wrong. I have always taken extremely good care of my electronics and I'm almost disheartened knowing that one died in my hands. I am wondering if it was one of my external devices as well. I recently bought a 100w four port usb-c charger, it wasn't a name brand or anything but it had great reviews and seemed to work well. I also use a 32" 4K monitor through a usb-c to hdmi cable, as well as an Amazon Renewed VAVA usb-c hub with 100w passthrough charging, two usb-a devices and an additional 27" 1080p device hooked up. The device gets kind of hot when both monitors are connected and every now and then I accidentally leave it plugged in overnight, but usually the device sleeps after around 15 minutes of inactivity. Any help with what could have gone wrong is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Delicious-Win-6944
    [link] [comments]

    Refresh rate does not appear to be 60Hz (or smooth)

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 06:16 AM PST

    Hey,

    almost instantly when I got my Mac M1 I feel like what I am seeing is not 60Hz. The initial monitor mode was at unacceptable 30Hz, you can tell immediately from any action. Of course, I immediately switched this to 60Hz and also 75Hz which my LG screen supports.

    However when I am dragging windows around, text is not very sharp while moving the window. It feels choppy, out of sync, not 60Hz, blurred like in games with engines which downscales resolution when picture is moving. It's hard to describe, but it's not iPad experience at all.

    I tried to play around with my screen, full reset, turned on/off game mode, black stabilizer, various modes. It looks like nothing really makes any difference. Well, game mode is awful for browsing or work it's meant for fast-paced movement and low input lag. The refresh rate problem is still there.

    Anyone experiencing the same?

    submitted by /u/lzap
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel