• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 11, 2021

    Apple Macbook Does anyone else love the trackpad option '3 finger drag'?

    Apple Macbook Does anyone else love the trackpad option '3 finger drag'?


    Does anyone else love the trackpad option '3 finger drag'?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:48 PM PST

    its buried in accessibility->trackpad options now, but it makes click+drag gestures feel much better

    submitted by /u/Imgoingtorunoutofch
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook with thinkpad docking station?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:36 PM PST

    Hello all! sorry for the newbie question, but does anyone use your M1 macbooks with the thinkpad docking station (this one, specifically https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/Thunderbolt-Dock-Gen-2-EU/)?

    I am thinkng of buying a macbook air M1, and I already have this docking station from my current laptop, which I`ll have to return to my employers. I saw some people have had problems with non-Apple docks and hubs.

    Thanks for reading, have a nive day!

    submitted by /u/sid_capivara
    [link] [comments]

    I have been using M1 for 1.5 months. Here is my experience as a coding SaaS founder.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:09 AM PST

    I have bought M1 MacBook Air 13" 16GB In January 2021. Here are my thoughts on this machine so far.

    ⚡️ Speed

    Aww yeah, it is lightning fast!

    My daily setup: Postgres, VScode (+48 plugins), Sublime Text, Slack, Discord, Spotify, Thunderbird, Telegram, Chrome (+8 extensions), Firefox, iTerm, Figma, Alfred. All simultaneously.

    Not a single freeze so far. Each app opens instantly.

    My friend-pythonist is using an 8GB version. It works slick too.

    🔌 Apps

    As you know, there is a chip incompatibility issue. And there is something called Rosetta to fix it.

    So I expected some problems with apps.

    But in reality, I did not have to care about this. Everything just works. There is not a single difference between M1 and Intel to me.

    💔 What went wrong

    My biggest fear was not being able to launch my development environment.

    When I typed brew install python@3.7
    in the terminal I got this error: "python@3.7: The x86_64 architecture is required for this software.".

    It instantly made me pale because this means I will have to carry 2 laptops to be able to code my product 😩

    The problem was solved quickly by upgrading the project to a newer version of Python. Thank goodness our dependencies did not mess up because of the update.

    The next problem was nodejs v11 which was needed to launch the product locally. yarn start
    took ~2 hours (HOURS!) to launch. Each update took ~5 minutes to compile. The development process was awful. I got pale again 😩

    The problem was solved by moving to a newer nodejs version. Again, the dependencies did not break up. But the things could easily mess up because nodejs dependencies are complicated as hell.

    Now it compiles instantly, yarn build
    takes 30 sec.

    🪶 Keyboard

    It is much better than the previous generations have. Apple has fixed it.

    I can code, I can type emails, I can write stories.

    It is not as brilliant as the old one from my MacBook Pro 2012, but still fine.

    💻 Why Air, not Pro

    AFAIK, the Pro version has these differences: better battery, better mic + sound, more ports (+2). I did not find these features significant enough to pay extra. And I also dislike Touch Bar.

    submitted by /u/alexanderisora
    [link] [comments]

    Is this compatible with Macbook Air 2017? Thanks

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 06:18 PM PST

    Spilled water on my MacBook, but can’t keep it upside on a towel

    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 12:14 AM PST

    So I a glass of water on my MacBook keyboard, and I'm trying to do what is recommended by turning it off and placing it upside down on a towel. But the absolutely moronic design of having it automatically start with any pressure on the touchpad/ any key being pressed has made it literally impossible to have my computer off and upside down open on a towel. Why do we need 50 different buttons that will turn the computer on, just keep it at one so when it's off it stays off until I want it on. I get that I can change that feature but I can't do it now because I need my computer to be off while it's drying. I just can't imagine why this would be a default setting.

    submitted by /u/theryguy1997
    [link] [comments]

    Is speccing 16GB of RAM on a 7 -core , 256 GB SSD Macbook Air M1 a good decision?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:01 PM PST

    Or is there no point of adding extra RAM on an already handicapped ( because of the GPU ) system?

    submitted by /u/burningmartyr
    [link] [comments]

    Is passthrough charging with the M1 Macbook safe now?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 03:35 PM PST

    I know Apple pushed out a system update that's supposed to address the issue of bricking your M1 MacBook through the use of usb c passthrough with USB-C hubs. Though given the danger of losing a device, I haven't seen a lot of testing to confirm whether it actually fixed anything. Has anyone had a faulty unit that now (with a new unit) works fine with potentially previously suspicious usb c hubs?

    I got a bunch of hubs laying around, some with passthrough charging but I'm pretty terrified of trying it and bricking my system, even if it has applecare+.

    submitted by /u/Secret-Misthios
    [link] [comments]

    Weird battery drain

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 02:22 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    when i charge my MacBook Air 13" (M1) to lets say 87% and use it like for two hours it does not lose any battery. I put it into sleep mode and after like three hours its 85%. When i use it now the battery drains very fast to 80%. I am a bit concerned about this because i bought it 3 weeks ago.

    submitted by /u/piuscor
    [link] [comments]

    Mid 2020 13 inch macbook pro vs 16 inch (base model)

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:30 PM PST

    Currently a student and will soon start working soon. I travel a fair bit and do a lot of writing/research which often requires having word processors and research tabs open at the same time. I've really been struggling with the limited screen size of the 13 inch MacBook pro. It's a great machine and I enjoy the portability and form factor but the lack of screen real estate is really starting to get to me. I've been looking to trade in the 13 inch MacBook and replacing it with the 16 inch but I'm worried about two things in particular.

    1 - form factor and portability

    2 - possible upgrades to the 16 inch later this year (Apple going with the M1 chips in the 16 inch and I'm worried that switching now will mean I miss out on the upgrade and possibly lower price if Apple sticks with the M1 pricing model for the 13 inch)

    Any thoughts or recommendations would be super helpful!

    *As a side note, I have a second monitor but with the amount of work I do while traveling, it becomes a moot point since I'm mostly just limited to the single screen.

    submitted by /u/throwawayt14
    [link] [comments]

    Need help for my macbook with dead screen

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 04:34 PM PST

    hi so i just got a macbook pro late 2013 from an old lady... screen is broken so i plugged it via a tv and it worked fine i did a factory reset and now the hdmi doesnt work anymore and i cant see what im doing because the screen is broken so i got my sister's mac and tried copying her drive to my drive which i did but the hdmi still doesnt work so i assume its a drivers problem so i wiped the macbook and now i wonder how i can install macOS without copying my sister's driver because that didnt help

    submitted by /u/Proper_Cheesecake_40
    [link] [comments]

    Second thoughts over color choice long after purchase?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 12:42 PM PST

    I've used space gray Apple products here and there since before they officially called it "space gray". (the iPod classic 6/7th gen had a variant that I believe was the basis for the color, but that could just be coincidental) last year I continued that by choosing space gray for my 2020 MBP, it's my first brand new Mac and I don't regret a single thing about it, but I do feel like I should have chosen silver in hindsight. I was removing the hard drive from my old 2011 that I bought used before the 2020 model last year when I realized that I kind of miss the contrast of the display bezel and the body. Has anyone else experienced second thoughts about color choice a long while after purchase? I know it may be a little silly, and Space gray certainly isn't a dealbreaker for me because I love this machine, but I definitely know I'll go with silver next time.

    submitted by /u/therealfriskyfisky
    [link] [comments]

    Does the M1 Air not deliver power through its Thunderbolt ports?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 04:15 PM PST

    My tablet is not charging off of it, connected with a USB C cable. I can't seem to find any direct answers to this online.

    submitted by /u/IsThisMeta
    [link] [comments]

    Does SSD size help with the RAM Swap issues on the M1s

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:27 AM PST

    So my trusty 2012 finally gave out yesterday and I need a new computer today! That being said, I'm looking at the M1s. I've been reading a lot of conflicting issues with the RAM swap wear and tear on the new SSDs which brings me to my question. Would it be worth it to get the 512gb M1 Air over the base Air for the potentiality that a larger SSD would increase the longevity of it with respect to RAM swap? I am currently teaching my self basic web dev and programming. Mainly using VS code but planning on going to a Computer Science program in the next couple of months. I would like to mention that as much as a 16gb RAM option makes more sense, I can't wait a couple weeks for the shipping.

    submitted by /u/Tmlapi
    [link] [comments]

    Dried yogurt all over keyboard

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 02:15 PM PST

    Hi everyone. I accidentally spilled yogurt all over my keyboard a few weeks ago. I cleaned up the keyboard the best I could, but the keyboard still has dried yogurt in between the keys that I cannot get out and it's affecting my typing capability

    I have AppleCare. Will Apple clean the keyboard for me if I ask?

    submitted by /u/clumsycolor
    [link] [comments]

    What is the process for trading in a MacBook Pro at the Apple store for gift card?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:55 PM PST

    Hi, I just found out I can go to my local Apple store to trade in my MacBook Pro for a gift card. I'm going to buy a MacBook Air probably, but I would like to get rid of my current machine quickly before it stops working so well to get the most for the trade in value.

    Does anyone know what the process is for trading in a MacBook Pro at the store? Should I wipe the HD before I go there? How long does it take? Does what they do require running it on the battery? My battery does not hold much of a charge (maybe less than 4 hours or so). I do not want them to see the MacBook Pro shut down or go to sleep while running on battery power. Any other tips to maximize gift card? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/godogs2018
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way for free to cast video file to Samsung TV

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:02 PM PST

    Hey guys i founding only 10£ price apps for that simple function is there any way to do it for free?

    submitted by /u/Cikago
    [link] [comments]

    Any good ADblocker for Safari?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 12:52 PM PST

    Im using AdBlock Plus for Safari but it's kinda broken. It doesn't shows ads on youtube but makes the pause where the ad is supoused to show and it's so annoying. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Contemptt
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Air M1 sluggish/laggy when connected to external display

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 12:05 PM PST

    Hi there, I purchased the Macbook Air M1 when it was first announced, and have recently been using it connected to a external 4k display for web development. I have noticed that opening applications, refreshing browsers with the development console open, is incredibly slow and laggy/choppy. This behavior seems very bizarre considering my CPU usage is very low.

    Has anyone experienced a similar thing?

    submitted by /u/surroundedmoon
    [link] [comments]

    Help needed, can't enter recovery mode macbook pro mid '14 (big sur)

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:56 AM PST

    I can't enter recovery mode, Command + R is not working. Need to clean install Big sur, is there any other way?

    submitted by /u/noSyntaxError
    [link] [comments]

    Is Discord a power- hungry app?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:48 AM PST

    MacBook Pro 2015 15 inch for SALE on eBay

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:33 AM PST

    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

    OS: Big Sur 11.2.3

    Serial Number: C02SX2ZPG8WL

    Display: 15.4" Retina 2880 x 1800

    Storage: 512 GB

    Processor: 2.8 GHz "Haswell Crystal" Intel Core i7 (4870HQ)

    Memory: 16 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3L SD

    Graphics: Intel Iris 5200 Pro

    http://ebay.us/ZbPtnR?cmpnId=5338273189

    submitted by /u/roberto2653
    [link] [comments]

    Never had a Mac, how much control do you have over remapping the keyboard and trackpad?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:11 AM PST

    Sorry if this is a tedious question. I am really interested in trying out the Arm Macbooks as they are really impressive, specifically the Air as it has the F keys. However I tend to get caught up in small ergonomics things and wanted to know if there are work arounds.

    1. Is there a way to swap the FN and CTRL keys? After using the more common layout for 20+ years I am absolutely conditioned to having the CTRL in the bottom left corner. Every time I try a keyboard with the FN key there instead it completely screws me up.

    2. The trackpad. This is a little hard to explain, but I am used to the more vanilla trackpads of windows laptops. I don't use gestures and greatly prefer a right click over a two finger click, I also like having only the bottom 20% used as the l/R buttons. (Call me crazy but I miss when every trackpad just had two buttons at the bottom!) Is there a way to make it function like this?

    Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/Thevisi0nary
    [link] [comments]

    Ntfs for big Sur

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:00 AM PST

    Hey guys bought the new MacBook pro m1, and I found that most of my old HD are readable but I couldn't write or move files around 😩... Previously I was using Mac not big Sur I had an ntfs everything was nice...

    Any easy ways to fix this??

    submitted by /u/ancientdragons05
    [link] [comments]

    Mouse lag with M1 Macbook Pro and displays

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 07:45 AM PST

    For the past few days, I have been using the Plugable usb-c triple 4k display docking station with my MacBook Pro with the M1 chip to bypass the single screen restriction. Two 4k 60hz screens are connected to it and for now, although sometimes slightly laggy, everything is perfect.

    Except: all mice tested on the machine seem to have a slight lag, less precision. Sometimes it seems worse at certain times (on more load maybe, especially on adobe apps). If I connect the mouse directly to the macbook (but keep the dock for screens), the problem remains, which makes me believe it is from the screens / dock.

    Does anyone have the same problem? I know it's not the ideal since multiple screen are not «officially» supported on M1 but...

    submitted by /u/GeekOnFireQC
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel