• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 2, 2021

    Apple Macbook Worried about M1 internal temps.

    Apple Macbook Worried about M1 internal temps.


    Worried about M1 internal temps.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 04:41 PM PST

    I'm interested in buying my first MacBook, and I'm looking at either the M1 Air or Pro. I like the air a lot because it has no moving parts and it's a great deal. But I'm kind of worried about the internal temps. I've always used windows computers or laptops with a lot of cooling to keep the internal temps around 80c or lower under heavy load.

    Since the launch of the M1 chip I've been looking at articles or video's of people with the M1 air or pro that show internal temps. And most of the time under medium to heavy load the temps spike up to 95c and stay there until the load is lowered. I realize that these chips are build to work on high temps but still it worries me for the longevity of the chip. Do you expect these chips to last 5/6 years when they run on 90+c for most of the time when you're working on them instead of casually browsing the web?

    I'm just wondering about your opinion on this subject and maybe you can educate me on how temps affect the internals of the M1 Air/Pro. Thanks in advance!

    Edit. To clarify, like I've said I'm talking about internal temps under load. Like seen here: https://youtu.be/m1dokf-e1Ok

    submitted by /u/Kwabo
    [link] [comments]

    Twitch and Reddit are slowing down my 13 inch 2016 MBP, what can I do?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 09:59 PM PST

    Question about ScreenTime App

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:23 PM PST

    Hi,

    I just noticed the ScreenTime app and it could be potentially useful - however I'm wondering if it's possible to categorise time by websites visited and not just by app usage (e.g. Safari app used). I know there are a number of options like creating Downtime where you can only use certain apps during that time etc. but I was wondering if there was a way to make it work on individual websites.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/RussianInRecovery
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Air 2019’s loud fan noise

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:56 PM PST

    I bought my MacBook Air in April last year and every couple of months the fan runs extremely loud. It's at a point where I can't even hear the video I'm watching over it. When it happens I reset the SMC and it seems to stop it for a couple of months. I close all tabs/apps and only run the website I'm using and I make sure it doesn't overheat but it still occurs. Any idea why the fan is ridiculously loud and should I take it in to be seen by a professional?

    submitted by /u/risha2019
    [link] [comments]

    Battery service recommendation on new M1 Air

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:49 PM PST

    Should I shutdown my M1 MBA every night?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:33 PM PST

    I've heard some people saying that apple runs some maintenance program at night so it's bad to shut down. So should I actually put it to sleep.

    My reason to shutdown at the end of the day is because,

    1. The percentage will go down by a few percent overnight. Although it's only a few percent, the few percent really makes a big difference for M1 Macs. Even 5% would give me around / more than an hour of word processing or spreadsheets.
    2. I also use shutdown as a way to close everything and clear everything in the RAM. This actually saves a lot of battery because I don't use the same applications everyday.
    submitted by /u/smc23678
    [link] [comments]

    Spilled water on 2013 Macbook Air logic board; still charges, but won’t turn on. Can I replace the logic board and still access my old storage?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:30 PM PST

    Some spilled water got into my logic board, and the logic board was already "sizzling" when I finally got to unplugging the battery. Now, the external charger lights up and indicates that power is going through, however the Macbook won't start up.

    If I buy a new logic board for replacement, will the laptop likely operate as normal? Will I be able to access all my previous storage, as the data would have been stored in the SSD, or am I incorrect in assuming this and would there be data (photos, notes, etc) stored on the Logic Board itself?

    I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

    submitted by /u/jakkrabbitslim
    [link] [comments]

    thinking of swapping my 13" 2018 MBP for an M1 MBA - looking for advice

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:48 AM PST

    So I do a lot of video and photo editing (Davinci Resolve, Lightroom, Affinity Photo) which I have so far done mostly on my 2018 13 inch MBP (2.3Ghz Quad-Core i5, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD). However, lately, as my workflow has become more intensive, my MBP has had a tough time keeping up.

    I can't currently afford a 16" MBP at a spec that I need to meet my workflow demands. However, I already have a pretty capable gaming PC that, with a few minor upgrades, has the power I need for my work. My only issue with it is that its Windows, which kind of sucks IMO compared to MacOS. It is what it is.

    However, I'd still like to keep a MacBook for non-work/gaming stuff - emails, browsing, occasional very light video/photo editing, and to have a computer on-the-go, when life hopefully resumes soon. So I'm considering selling my 2018 MBP and getting an M1 MBA (8gb, 256gb).

    I know its a downgrade in some respects, and an upgrade in others. I'd be going from 16gb to 8gb RAM, but I'm no longer doing intensive work on this machine. I'd be losing the touchbar, which I kind of like, but its not a big loss. Losing two USB-C ports sucks too, but I've got a hub I use to help with that. And I'd be losing half my SSD storage - also not a big deal as I'm no longer doing work on this machine, and I've got an external SSD and other storage to compensate.

    Upgrades - From comparisons on YT it looks like the M1 actually beats my i5. So better CPU and GPU. And I'd get a ton more battery life, as well as a slightly lighter laptop. Also, no more fans so much quieter. Better keyboard, better webcam, better mic. Also I'd probably make a bit of money as I think my MBP will sell more for than what I'd pay for the MBA.

    TLDR - My spec'd out 2018 13" MBP (2.3GHz 4c i5, 16gb, 512gb) can no longer keep up with my demanding video/photo editing workflow, so I'm switching to my Windows desktop for that. But I'd like to keep a MacBook for portability, basic computing, MacOS which I prefer to windows. Should I switch to a base-spec M1 MBA and sell my MBP, or keep the MBP?

    submitted by /u/wcaps1996
    [link] [comments]

    I just ordered an Aukey USB-C Charger for my Switch. It's 65 watts. Will this be okay to use on my Mac, or should I stick with OEM?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 09:31 PM PST

    Just need some ideas and thoughts on where to buy my MacBook

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 03:26 PM PST

    So I am trying to find a decent computer that will last me all 4 years for college. I was thinking MacBook Air bc seems cheaper then the pros... tbh idk why, I am a fan of apple products but when it comes to laptops or desk tops I was told HP was the way to go so my whole life I went with that product. Well i want a laptop that has good memory and has backlighting on keyboard and not a lot of HP has that! So I was thinking of getting a MacBook Air 2017 or greater! But want to find a cheap place to buy it! Anyone have suggestions on where they buy it?

    submitted by /u/MatterAlive338601
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro 13 M1 2020 - Advice

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 06:24 PM PST

    I'm a longtime Windows user, only used the macbook air 2013 for a couple months a long time ago and I liked how Apple's screens were so much better compared to the matte 1080p display I was using on a Dell. I like Windows because it feels like it is more organized, easier to navigate because my experience on the macbook air 2013 was that it felt like a lot of apps were awkwardly hidden and I guess now with the Big Sur update I'm really liking how it looks.

    So to make a long story short I'm looking at the new M1 Macbook pro 13, 16gb RAM. I will be using it for general web browsing, media consumption and the odd application here or there, so the screen, touchbar shortcuts and overall high quality of the macbook is very appealing to me from what I've seen with the M1. I just have a few questions:

    1. How is the M1 chip performing so far for people who've experience with it? Are 3rd party apps working fine, any problems compared to the intel?
    2. Is there a better alternative to the macbook at the same price point that you think has the same quality screen and build quality?
    3. Lastly, Why is the M1 cheaper than the intel version of the MBP 13? Seems a little too good to be true that it's a lot cheaper but seems to be so much better performing. I thought Apple would have taken advantage of that to put the Apple tax on
    submitted by /u/fastfasterfastest1
    [link] [comments]

    Unusual clicking sound on trackpad

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 02:23 PM PST

    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Replacement battery

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 10:47 AM PST

    Hey Guys, my Mac is still in great condition and I have no problems with it except for the battery. It's time to replace it. What's the best battery to get for it? Aftermarket or original? I have complete confidence in doing the replacement myself. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/whogotthefunk
    [link] [comments]

    How do you charge your MacBook m1 version? Do you keep the charger plugged all the time in?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 02:19 PM PST

    How do you charge your MacBook m1 version? Do you keep the charger plugged all the time in?

    Would the battery become less effective if the charger is inserted all the time?

    submitted by /u/jamesftf
    [link] [comments]

    Cracked Screen on MacBook Pro

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 12:55 PM PST

    Hi guys, sorry for formatting, and i'm really sorry if this isn't the right place, i'm just really upset and I don't know where to ask anyone. Yesterday (great way to end an already garbage year), my screen was cracked, and sadly, I don't have Apple Care, so I had a few questions, 1. Apple won't give me any sort of estimate on pricing. I asked and they said they need to see the computer, which I get, but I just want the screen replaced. How much would it be if I just went straight to apple? I'm a student and I try to work as much as I can but $800 (according to business insider?) for a replacement is just way way too high. 2. Would it be too hard to just buy the part and replace it myself? I have a bit of experience taking apart computers (only big old DELL PC's though) I understand this would be probably way more delicate, but maybe I could do it myself? I found parts for around $200, that isn't as bad at all. What should I do? Just save up suck it up and take it to apple? Should I go to a computer repair store? I don't have the money for a new laptop either, and I like mine. Once again I'm sorry if this isn't the place for this, thank you!

    submitted by /u/hita34
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Storage

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 12:12 PM PST

    My MacBook storage keeps disappearing. Every-time I delete something the System storage just goes up. It is getting to the point that I cannot run applications because I only have 5 MB of storage remaining. Any help would be really appreciated!

    submitted by /u/BucksPundit13
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know why my clock is like in kind of darker letters?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:03 AM PST

    I really want a macbook usb hub that supports more than 1000 gbps. Does something like that exist?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 10:42 AM PST

    I really want a macbook usb hub that supports more than 1000 gbps. Does something like that exist?

    submitted by /u/NerfedCells
    [link] [comments]

    Photos: thumbnail but no picture when clicked

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:35 AM PST

    Hi all, for a long time now I have been unable to open photos in the photos app that are from before 2016. Whenever I click on a thumbnail of a picture in the photos app, no image appears (blank screen). This doesn't apply to videos which are still accessible as well as photos from after 2016.

    Is there a possibility that the photos are somewhere deep in the computer? How can I get them restored if so?

    I have a MacBook Air 2013 running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. 90 GB out of 120 GB is occupied by 'other' and I have no idea what this is.

    submitted by /u/daughterofthenile
    [link] [comments]

    Cracked Screen M1 Air

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 06:44 AM PST

    Last night someone sit on it and this happened. The unit doesn't have AppleCare+ coverage. There is an appointment set for Sunday for it to be looked at.

    https://i.imgur.com/2D7aZqi.jpg

    I was wondering if anyone knew how much this would cost to repair or better just getting a new laptop?

    Would Apple care if AC+ was purchased then taken to the store for repairs?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/SpectacularOtter
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel