• Breaking News

    Friday, August 7, 2020

    macOS ‏‏‎ ‎

    macOS ‏‏‎ ‎


    ‏‏‎ ‎

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 06:33 AM PDT

    88G free, 88G purgeable and I can't copy a 1G file because I don't have space.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:43 AM PDT

    So I cleared out about 100G from my Macbook Pro and it just wasn't clearing out. It was in the "purgeable".

    I asked about what to do, and several sources said to fill it up with large files, so I screen recorded and copied larger files until it ran out of space.

    Now, I have almost no space left and the 88G in purgeable is still there.

    What do I have to do get clear out the purgeable?

    submitted by /u/KarlJay001
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Big Sur Clock widget decides to travel back in time

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 07:40 AM PDT

    Why does this happen when I try to change an icon?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    I'm not a noob, 25 year Mac user, I cannot for the life of me change my NetBIOS name. It's only me that uses my MBP but for reasons only known to itself, it has changed to "LUCYS-MBP" if I do a scan on the network to show attached devices... more in text...

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:36 AM PDT

    So this started when I noticed when I opened terminal it showed the name as "LUCYS-MBP"... I thought what??!! So I used LAN Scan to look at the network and in my office it shows about 80 devices, sure enough, netBIOS name is LUCYS-MBP (I am no Lucy!). So I tried changing the name in sharing (didn't work), then went into network>WINS and changed, applied, restarted, nothing. The terminal is now what I want is (S1W-MBP) but NetBIOS refuses to change.

    Mega annoying! Anyone had this or know a way out? Many thanks! Mac OS 10.14.6 on MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

    submitted by /u/WaxerUK
    [link] [comments]

    I setting up a server.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:10 AM PDT

    Might be a little off topic but I love this community and thought you'd have the best pointers for Mac related stuff.

    I've been looking at all the options, wether it be NAS or an old PC and none of them have really been speaking to me. I want to retain Mac OS for remote access and time machine backups as I'm often away from home. As well as the fact that I'm already pretty deep into the ecosystem and I just love Mac build quality and everything that comes with macOS, whatever generation it might be. I just have plans to do some more enterprise grade stuff in the future and I'm unsure how the support is now as macOS server isn't really a thing anymore. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to this, but I'm definitely keen to learn. By that I mean there wouldn't be a lot of people using it and definitely nothing related to public access. I've been debating getting an old copy of server and a cheap Mac mini to start. Just wondering if any of you guys have any pointers or would be willing to share your setups. If I'm completely off the mark and should just go linux/standalone NAS then feel free to point me in the right direction!

    submitted by /u/beaverandmoose
    [link] [comments]

    Xbox one controller acting as a mouse on mac ? How to stop?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:04 AM PDT

    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

    Recently ive been doing some gaming on my mac and i decided to connect my xbox one controller to play. But the left joystick is moving the mouse and the A button clicks the mouse and its causing me to click out of my games constantly unless its ran through steams big picture mode. (and even then it only disables the mouse half the time) Is there any way to turn this off ? Any way at all , from the settings or terminal or something ?Ive searched threw the settings and all over the internet and all i can find is links for pc and tutorials that don't even mention the issue. If anyone knows a solution please share

    submitted by /u/Kel-B-Shobra
    [link] [comments]

    Apple launches public beta of macOS Big Sur, its biggest desktop OS update in years

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    Mouse Scroll issue using third party wireless mouse

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 11:32 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Can anyone help me with the scrolling issue of my mouse? I own a 2016 MacBook Pro and lately my spreadsheet work requires me to use wireless mouse. I have a third party wireless mouse but the scrolling is terrible. Currently using macOS Catalina Version 10.15.5. I have downloaded MOS (mouse smoothing app) but my efforts have been in vain. Primarily, whenever I use the scroll the screen/page is showing rather erratic/jumpy behaviour. For instance if I am scrolling up, I will use the scroll wheel accordingly but the screen actually scrolls up and then scrolls down immediately. I can record the screen if required. The mouse otherwise is completely fine with Windows devices. Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/sheikh_94
    [link] [comments]

    How do I remove the App Store and System Preferences from the dock?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 02:50 PM PDT

    Hey, folks. Sorry for the basic question, but I'm struggling. My new job forced a macbook on me, and I haven't used an apple product since my G5 became a paperweight after the switch to intel chips.

    I've stripped almost everything out of the dock, because I only want a few applications that I use regularly there. But, for whatever reason, I can't seem to make the App Store or the System Preferences icons go away. If I drag them onto the screen, they snap back to the dock. If I drag them into the recycling bin, they snap back to the dock. If I right click and mouse over Options, there is no remove from dock option.

    Both of these apps exist in the apple menu at the top left of the screen, so I don't need them in the dock. How can I remove them? Thanks.

    edit: I figured it out. Applications cannot be removed from the dock while they're running. I had to quit the App Store and Preferences before I could remove the icons. Just a gotcha for someone new to the OS. Thanks for the replies.

    submitted by /u/shaidyn
    [link] [comments]

    Mac mail shows unread emails notification even though there are no unread emails.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 10:09 PM PDT

    Mac mail shows unread emails notification even though there are no unread emails.

    Macbook pro 2019, 10.15.6. Quitting and reopening usually fixes this, but it keeps happening.

    https://preview.redd.it/zgtf0iczjif51.png?width=136&format=png&auto=webp&s=82f2eddbc9ac4b5d7eb6838788f2c500477c5578

    submitted by /u/Half_Baked_1
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to create external installer and terminal has not progressed past this line. Can I just drag and drop the installer files to the external drive?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    Screen Time is finally usable on macOS

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 09:29 AM PDT

    internet issues

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    I am staying in an AirBnB and there is a wall-socket for an Ethernet cable that I had been using. It was working fine for a few days until today. Every 45 seconds it times out for exactly 5 seconds. How do I fix it? Heres a pic of my terminal ping:https://imgur.com/a/mTeutcA i have 2013 macbook air running mojave

    submitted by /u/redddblueee
    [link] [comments]

    I have every adblocker under the sun and yet I still get ads everywhere. This wasn’t happening a week ago. What’s going on?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 04:55 PM PDT

    Is there a way to pause/freeze safari before closing it to reboot my computer?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    I downloaded some software that requires a reboot. Is there anything out there that sort of pauses everything with all my tabs so I can reboot then resume? I have some video lectures open at certain timestamps, for a project I'm currently doing. I downloaded some software to help with the project and would like to be able to come back to all the tabs as is.

    submitted by /u/Playstatiaholic
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else have the MacOS Startup Chime on their Catalina Mac?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    I have a 13 inch 2015 rMBP and I get the startup chime even though I'm on 10.15.6. Is this "feature" available to anyone else or is it just a weird bug for me?

    submitted by /u/DeadlyVenom991
    [link] [comments]

    How do i remove an app from the top menu?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 06:26 PM PDT

    Hey guys so i recently got my macbook and i installed the razer synapse app. however i deleted the app and it was fine until i looked over at the top menu bar because the little app symbol still there. ive been struggling for quite some time already i was wondering if any had any recommendations.

    submitted by /u/Neyluca22
    [link] [comments]

    ARM based Macs - VM, Other OS compatibility

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Excuse my lack of understanding for software engineering, but would the OS -- such as Windows -- have to make major modifications to their OS even if it is running on top of a VM such as Parallels in the new ARM based Macs?

    submitted by /u/D1CCP
    [link] [comments]

    Can't install Big Sur Beta on APFS Volume

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 05:29 PM PDT

    This has never happened before. Since High Sierra I've always installed betas on a volume.

    submitted by /u/jmerrilljr
    [link] [comments]

    Must have software

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm a long time linux user who's recently made the switch to MacOS. I've so far installed brew, Xcode, and iterm2, as well as some other development stuff. I was hoping you all could recommend me other useful/"must have" software for daily use on MacOS. Also I'm a developer so any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/UnitStatusBoy
    [link] [comments]

    "Sytem" storage seems large... how large should it be?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    Running Mojave 10.14.6

    I'm running out of storage, and the "System" storage seems large at nearly 50GB. How large should it be? (I have Windows installed as well--I don't know if that would affect System on the macOS side). I've seen other folks post similar complaints, but they're looking at over 100GB.

    Already checked if I was logging connections in Mail, and I'm not.

    submitted by /u/sidescroller3283
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel