• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 4, 2020

    macOS To paste text without the original source’s font, size, color, and styling, use Shift, Option, Command, and V.

    macOS To paste text without the original source’s font, size, color, and styling, use Shift, Option, Command, and V.


    To paste text without the original source’s font, size, color, and styling, use Shift, Option, Command, and V.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    macOS cannot see it's own drive

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 04:57 AM PDT

    �� 100+ macOS Big Sur Icons - Discipline.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:12 AM PDT

    Mac Mini (Late 2012) SSD Upgrade Reboot = Prohibitory Symbol

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:26 PM PDT

    Just got a late 2012 mini. Swapped out the 500GB HDD for a Samsung QVO 1TB SSD. Install to the SSD via internet recovery went fine and upgrading to Catalina went fine. Except. Every reboot resulted in the prohibitory symbol. I would have to hard power it off and turn it back on. When it turned back on it picked up right where it left off in the install/upgrade process. I've tried disk utilities and every other suggestion on the internet. I'm hoping Reddit can help. Right now the original drive is back in and working/rebooting normally.

    Some suggestions indicate the SATA cable doesn't support SSD drives, but so many OWC/iFixit tutorials don't necessarily indicate that. I'm happy to buy a new cable but was just looking for someone to confirm that is actually the issue.

    submitted by /u/theem3thod
    [link] [comments]

    I plan on buying this 2016 MacBook Pro. I wanted to know how long it will stay supported (software)?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 01:29 AM PDT

    Launch Chrome with command line arguments?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 12:12 AM PDT

    I can launch Chrome using open -a /Applications/Chrome\ [Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Chrome\](https://Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave\) Browser --args --what_ever_i_want_to_use, but is there a way to add this to a .plist file, for example, so every time i launch Chrome it gets launched with the parameters i define?

    submitted by /u/Toontje
    [link] [comments]

    Blacking out part of the screen

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 11:46 PM PDT

    Hi guys my monitor is way too tall (got it as a present). It would be perfect if i could just black out like 25% of the top of the screen and have the screen scale down with the height.

    Is there any software that could do this?

    submitted by /u/skylee449
    [link] [comments]

    Should I upgrade to Catalina now, or just wait until Big Sur?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:51 PM PDT

    I know how buggy Catalina has been, and Big Sur looks like it'll probably be just more of the same.

    It's also been especially buggy for people using Logic Pro and 3rd party plug-ins (which is mainly what I use my computer for).

    I would like to update, but have been hesitant due to the bugs.

    I'm using a 2018 Mac mini, and I think it's time for a full reset and fresh install of macOS. I've had a lot of problems with my Mac mini so I guess there's a possibility of Catalina fixing those issues, or making them even worse and adding new ones.

    submitted by /u/JonathanLevine
    [link] [comments]

    Massive space on SSD occupied by unknown data

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    This happened to me a few years ago- but I'm back in the pickle and I'm wondering if anyone can help me. If we get this solved I promise I'm writing a blog post on this and I'll post it back here for next time.

    I have 256GB SSD. I needed to copy 100GB of pictures from my EXTERNAL SSD to my iCloud, and as such needed to clear some space on my disk for the intermediary copy. Fine. So I made the space, leaving me with about 120GB free on my MBP SSD, and then I copied the pictures from the EXTERNAL to iCloud. The transfer went smoothly. HOWEVER, now my MBP SSD has an extra 100GB of data sitting on it somewhere, and I can't find what/where that data is for the life of me. I checked the caches/the usual suspects and I couldn't find the culprit. This 100GB seems to correlate exactly with the data that was transferred from the EXTERNAL to iCloud...so the extra data on my machine likely isn't applications or old files or anything. Is there a good way to completely visualize the disk space or something like that? This is really frustrating- I've been looking around now for hours. Also for whatever reason the finder doesn't always account for the size of the folders inside of it when you click 'Get Info', so this is extra time consuming.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/gala_apple_1
    [link] [comments]

    App shows black window only

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Please help. Changed a setting for an app and no matter what I do I can't get it to show anything but a black window. Can't remember what setting I changed.

    submitted by /u/muksnole
    [link] [comments]

    Trackpad feels hard

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    usually towards the bottom u can click down but i cannot click down and its almost as if my mac is closed. usually if i restart or close the lid it will "reset" but it hasn't. anyone know a fix? i reset smc and pram but its still like this

    submitted by /u/hoennevan
    [link] [comments]

    Need a Desktop

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 09:33 PM PDT

    I'm looking to get a refurbished desktop, I don't have a lot of cash to shell out since I'm a poor grad student. I was looking at buying a Mac mini (late 2011, i5, 2GB $300) and a monitor Samsung LED freesync($169). Is this a good deal? All I'm doing is regular grad school work a lot of reading and writing. I love the iOS interface but am I better off buying an HP all in one (4gb, 1tb hard drive)

    Edit 1: My budget is around $550.

    Edit 2: I should've prefaced with the fact that I'm not super tech savvy, all I'm looking for is something to do homeworks on, run office 365 and maybe a couple web searches. I already have the 11 inch iPad Pro, (which I basically do everything on) but with classes going online I wanted a desktop.

    submitted by /u/_smwh20-
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to buy a used machine, wondering if these might be worth going after...

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 08:08 PM PDT

    Hello! I'm a musician, spend a lot of my time on Logic. I've currently got a MacBook Pro 13-inch (2015/2.7GHz/i5/8GB). It's held up quite well and doesn't really need to be replaced, but I've got a bit of cash to spend and being that I've just moved into a new space, now seems like a decent time to look into upgrading my machine.

    I found these listings for sale on Craigslist and was wondering if anyone thinks they might be worth chasing. I don't really plan to pursue any of them unless it seems like I'm getting a real bargain, because again my MacBook Pro is still holding up alright. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

    1. Apple Mac Mini A1347 Desktop [2.6Ghz/i5/1 TB Fusion Drive] ($650)

    2. Apple Mac Mini 2018 [i3/3.6Ghz/32GB RAM/128GB SSD] ($790)

    3. Apple Mac Mini 2012 [2.6Ghz i5/16GB 1600 MHz DDR3/2.12 TB Fusion Drive (128GB SSD + 2TB HDD) + Apple Cinema Display 27" (2560x1400) + Apple Keyboard/Mouse] ($800)

    I don't know too much about hardware but I'm guessing none of these are jaw-dropping deals- just wanted to be sure.

    submitted by /u/kamarole
    [link] [comments]

    Syncing iBooks between Macbook and iPad

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    Hey y'all, I'm new to the Macbook game, so this is probably a dumb question. When I had a PC, I would just use iTunes to drag and drop all of my books on to my iPad. I just got a new iPad, and I'm trying to use iBooks to sync them all over. I put all of my books into iBooks on my MacBook, but when I plug in the iPad and sync it nothing moves over. They all show up as downloadable from my iCloud, but with 600 books it is going to take FOREVER to click each one to download it. Is there something I'm doing wrong with the syncing so I can move them all over from my laptop? Thank you for your help!

    Edit: Here's a screenshot of my Finder window

    https://imgur.com/iUAzZyA

    submitted by /u/Melodym1995
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Recovery Mode

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    Help please - I consider myself a reasonably competent Mac person, but I am stumped. My brother recently died and we're trying to recover accounts and such. We have a MacBook Pro, Model A2159, which I think is a t2 chip model, running 10.15.2. All I wanted to do was a password reset but recovery mode really has nothing in it. Command R brings up a language choice followed by a startup disk choice. That's it. The utilities are gone. Internet start up is no better. Unable to start in Single User - it just kicks to a regular boot. Target mode requires a password. Trying a bootable USB results in telling me security settings don't allow this, and to do a Command R.

    That's about all I can think of - I can't reach a terminal session to reset the password. Is this all security levels from the T2 chip? Where are the rest of the Recovery options?

    FileVault does NOT seem to be turned on.

    Help?

    submitted by /u/upstate_doc
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking guidance using Photos.app with SMB network share

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    Hello fellow macOS users-

    I previously used iPhoto quite a lot and stored my library on my nas via a SMB share.

    At some point I transitioned to a simple file structure to save my photos. It's a lot easier to run backups and overall simpler. However accessing these on an iPhone or iPad isn't easy, nor is quickly sending a group of pictures to a friend if I'm not in front of a computer.

    My understanding is that it is quite difficult to use Photos.app if your goal is to store your photo library on network storage.

    My only Mac at this point is a 2019 MacBook Air with a measly 128GB SSD. This is usually no issue. The majority of my data is stored on my NAS and I use SyncThing to store what I am currently working on locally.

    TLDR: I would like to make use of iCloud photo library by importing photos from my Photos folder on a SMB share as well as storing everything on the NAS. Is there any get around / lesser known method of using Photos.app and storing the library on network storage?

    submitted by /u/DeutscheAutoteknik
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot change some app icons - macOS Big Sur Beta 3 (20A5323l)

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 03:43 PM PDT

    Cannot change some app icons - macOS Big Sur Beta 3 (20A5323l)

    Hey, thanks for clicking on my post.

    So, I wanted to make some icons in my dock more consistent. I downloaded some Big Sur Iconpacks and tried to apply them. I had no trouble with Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro X, Minecraft, or Discord. But when I tried Firefox and Roblox, they wouldn't change?

    https://preview.redd.it/o6emkw898ve51.png?width=550&format=png&auto=webp&s=ed870d4d802d3089d63f5e32980eb7032499a857

    Firefox and Roblox just appeared with the placeholder 'png' icon, I even tried the Discord icon in Firefox to see if it was just the file, but no!

    It still wouldn't change! I find it strange that only some apps have this problem. Does anybody know of a solution?

    submitted by /u/GoldieTheGolden
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to boot into recovery mode isn’t working out very well. Do any of y’all have some ideas ?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    I'm having issues booting my MacBook Pro(late 2011 13") into recovery mode, I don't have any issues woth my os or anything but I'm trying to acces the recovery terminal to disable csrutil. Every time I restart my Mac and hold the cmd+R keys my Mac goes into the infinite white screen. When I restart the Mac and boot normally everything is fine. But I can't get into the recovery mode screen, anyone have any ideas for fixing this? As google is not being a very big help

    submitted by /u/AYNAGEDDON
    [link] [comments]

    System Storage - I've tried everything

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    System Storage - I've tried everything

    WHAT????

    Hello there! I'm at my wits end with the storage on my MacBook Pro (15 inch 2018 MacOS Mojave). I've tried everything recommended. I don't have any time machine snapshots, or mobile phone backups. I used GrandPerspective and OmniDiskSweeeper. I manually added all the high level folders (including the hidden ones) present in MacintoshHD. And they all say I only should have ~150GB of used storage. But for some reason, MacOS system takes up over 130GB. HELP!!

    submitted by /u/hibiscusplant
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anyway to manage storage on startup?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    I have 13 MB of free space, it takes forever to start up onto my main disk, and I can't get past entering my password at the login screen. The spinning pinwheel of death goes on and on. Is there any way to fix this without having to delete the whole drive?

    submitted by /u/broseidonguy
    [link] [comments]

    Best approach for auto-connect to Synology NAS

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 08:49 AM PDT

    Hi there

    Long time Windows user here:

    • I would like to auto connect / mount my NAS at startup / login into my user account.

    Whats the best approach for doing it?

    In Windows once mounted drives stay connected „forever". I need to do always „Connect to Server" put smb://IP and press connect. This is a bit time consuming.

    Im sure it can not be so complicated like Im doing it?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/salekijan
    [link] [comments]

    High Sierra update failing

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 11:08 AM PDT

    Hope someone can help me out. It's driving me crazy!

    High Sierra has been prompting me to install an update. Every time I click restart to update, it restarts, shows a loading screen, then gives me the "MacOS could not be installed on your computer" error window with no specific reason given and just a restart option. Restarting brings it back to the user selection screen and computing can resume. I've done this quite a few times now with all the same results.

    Finally looked up the install logs and this is what I keep getting:

    "2020-08-03 10:57:27-07 Vincents-iMac installerdiagwatcher[165]: Operation: OSIInstallRecoverySystemElement failed, Failure Reason: com.apple.DiskManagement:-69773"

    Does anyone know what that means and how to resolve it? Searching for this has gotten me nowhere. Kind of unbelievable that searching "OSIInstallRecoverySystemElement" gives no results.

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/Zervington2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel