• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 23, 2020

    Apple Macbook I sprayed isopropyl alcohol on my macbook (2017) monitor, worst decision ever: stains and compromised monitor

    Apple Macbook I sprayed isopropyl alcohol on my macbook (2017) monitor, worst decision ever: stains and compromised monitor


    I sprayed isopropyl alcohol on my macbook (2017) monitor, worst decision ever: stains and compromised monitor

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    So, I have read isopropyl alcohol was good to clean electronic, keyboard, glass and so on. So I decided to spray the one I bought some time ago (>90% isopropyl) on my macbook. Yes, I am an idiot.

    Now the monitor has strange stains and some zones are darker than other. Is it fixable?

    submitted by /u/barbolarbo
    [link] [comments]

    Im trying to keep my mac from sleeping and turning off while I stream media to my tv and after 15 minutes,even with these settings,it automatically logs me off. Any help would be appreciated.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 10:49 PM PDT

    Does factory resetting a Macbook remove passwords?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:10 PM PDT

    I'm returning my macbook and want to make sure my data can't be retrieved

    submitted by /u/floopykid
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with an old MacBook

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 08:57 PM PDT

    What to do with an old MacBook

    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but hopefully someone can advise

    I have an old MacBook from 2012 that is essentially bricked. It's incredibly slow, a lot of the keys don't work, the OS can't be reinstalled, and I don't think it's worth trying to sell for parts or even really give away

    I tried formatting the disk back to factory settings so none of my information was left on it before recycling it, but since an OS can't be re-installed, I can't get back into it to make sure all my info is gone

    If I take this to an Apple Store, will they recycle and clear it for me? Or should I break it apart and throw it out?

    submitted by /u/StrawberryJam1810
    [link] [comments]

    Is $250 worth the upgrade from an Air to a Pro with basically the exact same specs?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    Title. Pretty much the only spec "difference" is that the Air would have 10th gen i5, while the Pro is 8th.

    i5 processor/16gb RAM/256gb storage—same in both. Is there anything inherently special in the Pro that's worth the $250 top-up? Does the Pro have a longer lifespan??? Is the Touch Bar worth $250? Does it have some kind of magic wizard sitting in it that asks for $250??? What's the deal if the specs are the same?

    I'm getting this for university, into Bio/Health Sciences—I don't often use creative content tools but I heavily multitask (usually have 30+ tabs open at any given time between two browsers, in addition to Spotify playing several hours straight/day and other productivity applications/stats software open often on top of everything else), hence the ram upgrade.

    Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/merrychriistmas
    [link] [comments]

    A1181 Polycarbonate White Macbook (Early-2009)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    So I just made a purchase of an early-2009 white macbook.

    It comes with 120GB of HHD storage and 2GB of RAM, and I was wondering how far I can upgrade my Macbook. I was hoping for at least 500GB SSD, and 4GB RAM.

    And if I can upgrade my computer, what brand or type of SSD and RAM should I buy? I'm sorta limited to Amazon and eBay.

    Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/steinmeyermiles
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro 2020 Uneven Keyboard backlight

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    Just bought a new MacBook Pro and just want to know if its normal to have a slight difference in the brightness of the keyboard backlight? For example the only thing that catches my eye is that the number 3 is a little bit brighter than the rest.

    submitted by /u/Godric84
    [link] [comments]

    Does Scaling Display to Larger Text Reduce Sharpness and Quality?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    I find using the larger text and scaled image is easier to use but I prefer not to use it if it comes at a cost of reduced image quality and less sharp text.

    submitted by /u/TwoMenWithaPencil
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro 2013 went black while browsing.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    Hello guys! I was using my laptop watching YouTube videos, when suddenly the screen went black. Now it is unresponsive and won't turn on anymore. I have tried to SMC reset it but still no response. What has happened and is it possible to fix this issue?

    I still have some data on this laptop that I would love to keep! Old school documents and files from university. I also can't send this laptop away to apple etc. As I have some wallet passwords stored on it. Obviously they are all backed up but it would still be nice to not change them all!

    Thanks in advance! I really hope I can still save my good ol' faithful.

    submitted by /u/V3rdictz
    [link] [comments]

    Charging cables?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:11 PM PDT

    So I have the 2019 MacBook Air and I recently busted the charger. I'm wondering now, is it necessary to buy the apple charging cable or does another USBC USBC cable work as well? I've read some stuff about how using different cables can be harmful to the computer? As usual, the Apple one just seems a bit too pricey as a university student and if possible I'd rather not get that one ATM. If I can use other brands, do I have to look for certain voltages or amps? I'm new to this, so if anyone could let me know my options id appreciate that! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/luluylemon
    [link] [comments]

    Got my macbook air (2020) today and the camera quality is terrible...

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:10 PM PDT

    I went on photobooth during the day and it looked fine or whatever. However I tried it now during the night and it's so grainy and not even good quality? I'm so sad :( not even in good lightening does it work. I compared it with macbook air 13.3 (2015) and it's much clearer and brighter.

    submitted by /u/gogobebee
    [link] [comments]

    Cleaning MBP 2020 in light of COVID

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    I recently purchased a Macbook Pro (2020), and am a bit stumped on how to clean it. My previous laptop has mainly been sitting at home since the pandemic because it is too precious to risk getting contaminated. Now that I have another one that is more portable, I'd like to be able to travel with it. I work in a hospital and if I took it to work, would consider the whole thing contaminated and in need of cleaning. I could use Apple's recommended alcohol or Clorox on the case, trackpad and keyboard, but how do I safely clean the display? I do not touch the display but there are usually finger prints from opening the lid, and even if I do so with clean hands, if I touch anything in the hospital (paper, etc), it is safer to treat that as contaminated especially if it is a device I am using at home. Right now I am cleaning my iPhone with a liquid high isopropyl alcohol hand sanitizer and it is actually fine - I plan to replace this phone next year so no loss for me, would rather be safe but I do not want to ruin the retina display on my MBP. Any advice would be great - I will also call Apple tomorrow.

    submitted by /u/shimmerglitterdust
    [link] [comments]

    Power Nap

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:48 AM PDT

    Is it okay to barely ever turn your Mac off like you would with an iPhone? Should you restart it once a week or something? Are there any situations where it should be fully turned off like if its on a flammable surface or left for a really long time?

    I left my MacBook Air 2020 for 12 hours and when I opened it it hadn't gone down a single percent and it was ready to go straight away - So much better than windows laptops!

    submitted by /u/isthis-el-krustykrab
    [link] [comments]

    Purchased my first Macbook Pro ever.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:52 PM PDT

    Purchased it online today and it's due to arrive on Friday. I'm wondering should I invest in those hardshell covers? Is there anything I should know when setting it up good apps etc?

    submitted by /u/dy14n19
    [link] [comments]

    Just had fiber installed 1Gbps but only getting 100Mbps

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:55 AM PDT

    I just switched from cable to fiber. I'm supposed to be getting 1Gbps, but I'm barely getting anything over 100Mbps via WiFi. The tech said, "Well, that's all your device is able to handle."

    I have a 2019 13" MBP (two Thunderbolt 3 ports). Is it me or is it the Internet company?

    Speed Test

    submitted by /u/NealJ777
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling with the switch from Windows to MacOS. Do I need to give it more time or is this not meant for me?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:49 AM PDT

    I've been using Windows since my family got its first computer in the late 90s. My new Macbook Air arrived about 2 weeks ago, and I'm strongly considering returning it. (The 14 day return period ends tomorrow.) I spent hours watching tutorials while I waited for it to arrive. I wanted to love this computer so badly, but it's been such a huge learning curve that I've barely used it.

    Aside from the physical product itself (which is beautiful and about 4 pounds lighter than my laptop), it has been a negative experience at every point. I can't take care of any basic functions and tasks. It relies so heavily on hotkeys to be efficient, and I can't keep track of them. The windows are a cluttered mess. The display is beautiful but my eyes are under so much strain—everything feels so far away. iReminders has been glitchy AF. Nothing seems intuitive at all and I constantly feel like an idiot while I use it. I'm bumbling around like my parents who call in a panic when they can't figure out how to email themselves a photo.

    My partner is convinced I'll love the mac experience once I've gotten used to it, but how long is that going to take? I bought this so I could rely on him less to fix all the constant glitches with my Windows laptop, yet here he is still fixing all my issues.

    UPDATE: There seems to be something seriously wrong with my actual iCloud account and that's part of why it's so buggy. All of the apps I was so excited to integrate with my iPhone—which was 95% of the reason I bought it—are not currently usable. My partner and I just sat here for 3 hours trying to get things fixed with no real success. He has a computer science master's degree and is totally defeated, so thankfully, I at least no longer feel like an idiot.

    submitted by /u/kaevlyn
    [link] [comments]

    Which MacBook for my needs? (CS student)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    I've been a Windows user for my whole life, even during first year of uni when I used a slow (£250) HP, where I didn't have the money to get a new laptop at the time. With online learning now being the thing thanks to good old corona, it's persuaded me to treat myself to a nicer laptop. Looking at the MacBook range as I want to get experience with MacOS and utilising Unix will be in the syllabus next year. I've been comparing the (2020) MBA i5 8GB and MBP, and was wondering if people could help me make a decision on these factors: - Last me 4 years + - Something I can carry to uni everyday / on the train - can run multiple apps for work / socials / youtube at once - for watching panopto lectures, using Microsoft teams and zoom - For programming, using visual studio and eclipse - sometimes including unity 3d, android development, data analysis (although there's a home PC I can use) - small amount of Photoshop - to use Windows on if needed - don't need a touch bar all that much. - using the education discounts

    Doesn't seem to be much in the way of specs with these two things but thought it would be best to ask those who actually have a good experience with these machines. At the end of day as long as it's faster then my craptop now I'm happy 😀

    (Also is there anyone here with a MacBook using an android phone??)

    submitted by /u/bacon_bap25
    [link] [comments]

    I keep hitting the refresh button on the Touch Bar when typing numbers on a web browser. Anyone else?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    Is there a way around this that doesn't involve downloading a third-party app? It's driving me nuts.

    submitted by /u/BigScam
    [link] [comments]

    Why do people always question our decisions?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:54 PM PDT

    I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro and what's putting me off is the constant battle you have with people who say stuff like "could've got a better pc for less" and I feel like I always have to justify it to them and myself. Does anyone else feel this way?

    Yes, Apple uses shady marketing strategies but surely these people must see some sense? They think they are in the right because they chose a 50kg super turbo extreme alienware gaming laptop that lasts 2 hrs on a charge

    submitted by /u/Karl_Schwarzschild
    [link] [comments]

    A few questions about the MacBook Air 2020 thermal pad mod.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    Thermal Pad

    1. Does opening the cover and placing a thermal pad void the warranty?
    2. Do I have to change it often?
    3. Are there any dangers associated with it?
    submitted by /u/ashesnroses
    [link] [comments]

    It's safe to use 2m cable with mbp 16?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I have a quick question about my mbp.

    Today, I purchased a cable (2m) for my adapter. My cable have two metal pieces inside and I would like to know if it's safe to use it.

    It's probably for the ground (AC in my room are not connected to de ground, only two cables)

    (EU AC)

    submitted by /u/Greenone27
    [link] [comments]

    Best Lapdesk for 16”

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    Recently bought a 16" MacBook Pro and was wondering what lap desk everyone recommends. What is your setup when working on your MacBook in bed?

    submitted by /u/cheu0510
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help for my first MacBook laptop. In your opinion, what and why is the best MacBook you buy from Amazon? Can you share your link? I have an Amazon gift card I am hoping to use. I am looking for either 512GB or 1TB memory. Thank you so much.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:47 AM PDT

    Can you reply with your link from Amazon?

    My budget is $2,500 but I think that might be overkill and I guess I will need Apple Care, which I assume I can get later in the store.

    Will this laptop last a few years?

    I browse the web, pay bills, no gaming, use Word and Excel, stream YouTube. That's all I do. Maybe will look at Photos app.

    submitted by /u/mangocasio
    [link] [comments]

    Difference in RAM size?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:39 AM PDT

    Maybe a stupid question but would someone explain the practical difference between 8gb RAM and 16gb? I'm looking to get the new MacBook Pro 13" and want to for sure size up to the 512gb storage. But I just don't know enough about computers to know the difference and if it's worth sizing up for more RAM. Also is upgrading the processor worth it for school work, and light photo/video editing? I've heard good things about the $1799 model but that's a steep price when I'm not even sure I need the upgrades.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/DramaticDeal
    [link] [comments]

    Bootable Pendrive

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    After factory resetting my MacBook if I plug in my MacOS catalina bootable pendrive will it require internet connection? & if yes then will it require a lot of data or just nominal amount of data?

    submitted by /u/msbmihir
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel