• Breaking News

    Monday, October 28, 2019

    iPad Day one Apple Pencil and Procreate

    iPad Day one Apple Pencil and Procreate


    Day one Apple Pencil and Procreate

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:39 PM PDT

    My First Week With iPad Pro 11 as "Main" Computer

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 06:46 AM PDT

    Quick Background

    I previously was using a Dell Inspiron 5379 laptop with Fedora KDE as my main computer and had been for a couple years. It was great except the batter lost most of its capacity in the first year. I replaced it with an OEM battery which has lasted about 4 months.

    I also had an iPad 9.7" 6th gen. Used it daily, but it was really a coffee table device. Great for doing stuff from the couch, not even a consideration for things like documents or coding. I also have a Windows 10 gaming desktop PC that I only game from.

    So, instead of buying a new $80 battery every 4 months or spending over $1k on a new laptop I decided to trade in the 9.7" iPad, sell my laptop and get the IPP 11" 256GB Wifi model with the Apple Smart keyboard.

    First Impressions

    Overall, I am very happy so far. Its not perfect, but far closer to it then a laptop at or even slightly above the same price would be.

    Good:

    • Battery Life - I am seeing ~ 10 hours for my mixed usage. Gaming, browsing, media consumption, writing, etc.
    • Smooth - While the 9.7" iPad was impressive for the price, there were times it would have small hiccups. The IPP has been butter smooth no matter what I throw at it.
    • USB C - having this connection type has opened so many options. I got a nice USB C hub with ethernet, HDMI, Power Delivery, SD card reader and some other ports. Have tested out external drives, headphones (wired), etc.
    • Workflow - Its really smooth using the IPP vs a traditional computer for many common things. From getting "logged in" (via Face ID) to doing a specific thing (like Netflix, Prime Video, Unifi Controller, etc.) its much faster than logging in to a traditional PC and navigating to those things.
    • Smart keyboard is not wireless. This is a good thing to me. I don't trust bluetooth to carry sensitive info (like passwords I enter) wirelessly and securely. Typing is surprisingly good on it (at least to me).

    Bad:

    • Individual Specs not as impressive as I thought - Things like the screen and speakers didn't really blow me away compared to the 6th gen iPad. They are marginally better, but the 4 speakers may as well be 2 (one on each end vs 2 on each end) and the screen doesn't do much to distinguish itself from my perspective not on paper, but in person.
    • Smart Keyboard - For what it is, way over priced. My biggest issue with it...no back light. Typing on it is good enough, but there are other issues that are not obvious until you use it. Just like similar keyboards, the edges are this "sharp" termination of the top and bottom material coming to an end. When holding it like a tablet with the keyboard inactive and laying flat against the back, this edge can dig into the palms and fingers as you hold it. The case also does not protect the corners of the IPP. 8.5/10 for typing, 5/10 for design and all other aspects.
    • With the keyboard attached, its a bit heavy...not to mention uncomfortable as per the above. I prefer to take the Smart keyboard off entirely when using it like a tablet which kind of defeats its purpose as a protective cover.

    Don't get me wrong, none of the bad is deal breaking. The hardware is great, I just dont see the screen/speakers to be as big an upgrade in person as they may seem on paper.

    How is it as a Computer Replacement?

    I would say 90-95% there. The funny part is, the stuff I thought would be a problem is not...its the little things that you don't consider until your trying to use them that are problematic.

    For example I run a Proxmox server at home. You can view VMs/CTs via an HTML5 console...well at least you can on desktop OS's. Safari will simply not run/open a tab for this. Similar for the IPMI HTML5 console for my motherboard, just wont load (opens and fails to connect).

    I have seen a few websites that load elements funny but has come a long way from even a year ago.

    iPadOS is the real hero here though. The changes it brought really make this viable. Being able to use external drives, use Safari as a desktop class browser, multitask better, etc. are essential. I am in the process of setting up a VM as a file server using SMB/NFS and having the ability to use the native Files app for SMB will be huge.

    In some ways it exceeds what is possible from a traditional computer. Battery life is far better, portability is increased too.

    Overall, I am glad I did this. I am eager to explore and see what else I can do with the IPP.

    submitted by /u/Zer0CoolXI
    [link] [comments]

    Most Sold Apple Products of All Time (1995-2018)

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:56 PM PDT

    Could we please raid the Apple suggestions site with this functionality for the Files app? (Screenshot is from Documents 5 and it’s the only reason I have that app still installed)

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 04:37 AM PDT

    The downloads button On safari is dropping off!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 05:19 AM PDT

    Refunded Notability but didn’t get back my money

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 09:24 AM PDT

    Tips on reading and annotating PDF textbooks on iPad?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:07 PM PDT

    Hi, I want to use my iPad with Pencil more for reading textbooks and annotating them, and I'm wondering what the best setup for this would be. Ideally, I would have an app that would save my reading spot and let me make annotations (notes on the side, highlighting, etc) with my Pencil. Syncing to iCloud would be a plus, as would having a Mac version of the app. What are the best apps/setups for this in 2019? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/greenseaglitch
    [link] [comments]

    I got my iPad Pro as my main computer a few months ago after I sold my Alienware laptop, never looked back. My DraftTable Pro came in today, my perfect art/work setup is finally coming together

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    iPad Pro 10.5 Screen Popping Out?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 05:54 PM PDT

    will i get 1 year Apple arcade if a buy a new Iphone ? can i use it on ipad?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:27 PM PDT

    hello

    will i get 1 year Apple arcade if a buy a new Iphone ? can i use it on ipad?

    i know i get apple tv 1 year

    submitted by /u/FederalEngineer
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: Enable Sidecar on Older Devices (Works for Final Release)

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 03:32 PM PDT

    Has anyone here gotten an iPad just for Procreate? Also, what's the oldest iPad you'd recommend?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 05:44 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a drawing program for my Surface Pro and the only one that looks really awesome for my purposes is Procreate. The interface looks beautiful and clean. It's tempting me to just get an older refurbished iPad.

    Has anyone else here done this? And what's the oldest IPad that would still feel fairly new and work great with the ipencil (or whatever it's called)?

    submitted by /u/CivilNassar
    [link] [comments]

    When do you think Apple will release new iPad Pro’s?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:06 PM PDT

    I'm looking to upgrade to a new iPad. But I don't really want to spend so much on one just to have a better version come out soon after for basically the same price.

    I thought they would announce in October. But since Thursday is the last day of the month it's looking less and less likely. So when would new ipad pros be announced?

    submitted by /u/Aggiegirl2013
    [link] [comments]

    Do games really fill up storage?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:34 PM PDT

    i have 5 games on my iphone, and its 64gb.

    i really dont wanna spend an extra $150 on a 256gb ipad, but i plan to keep it for awhile. Do people who just play games really take up the full 64gb? all my media is streamed.

    submitted by /u/Vrask
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade to iPadOS 13.2 is a must.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:20 PM PDT

    Upgrade to iPadOS 13.2 is a must. They've fixed so many little bugs and quirks it now feels like iOS 12, still a few more little quirks but it's getting there.

    submitted by /u/Yoona1987
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    Hello ,

    Recently been thinking about picking an macbook pro/air/macbook

    My budget is around 700,850€

    Still need to decide to pick up the Ipad pro 12,9 inch since typing doesnt help me so much ti remember the texts and excercises we need to learn

    I am currently in college in my country u call it (MBO) and studying laws

    I need some help leave ur comments down below

    PS: i live in Holland :)

    submitted by /u/jayrijah123
    [link] [comments]

    Is worth updating iPad Air 1 (2013) to iOS 12?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:45 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I would like to know if it's worth to update my old iPad Air 1 to iOS 12. Currently it is on iOS 10.1, because i had it jailbroken, but nowadays I don't use any advantages of having it jailbroken. So I would like to know if it's working better than on iOS 10, as it's very laggy.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/thebigcako
    [link] [comments]

    What is the cheapest ipad that can use an apple pencil?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 05:15 AM PDT

    Question, I have apple care for my iPad. Just purchased a pair of airpods. Are they also covered no extra cost?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 02:14 AM PDT

    Photo App not working after upgrade

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 09:20 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I updated my iPad Pro 10.5 to the latest IPad OS. Since then my Photo App is not working. I can't download photos from the files folder, take screenshots or download from the web. I can open it but every time I download a photo it doesn't get into the app. Help please!

    I've tried everything, restored it, hard reset and uninstalling the apps.

    Thanks a lot :)

    submitted by /u/SirUnagi
    [link] [comments]

    Awesome paid/free Games that are not on Apple Arcade

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    Can you recommend some high quality games (paid or not) on the iPad?

    I'm quite hesitant to subscribe to Apple Arcade since I have not yet found a stable income and I don't want to rely on my parents.

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/nippy12
    [link] [comments]

    used iPad Pro 9.7 (bonus pencil) or iPad Mini 5

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    I made new post because I think no currently active post to ask.

    I found a cheap used iPad Pro 9.7 wifi only 128GB + pencil for roughly $449

    I am looking to a not too big device, iPad Mini 5 with Pencil capability is nice, but in my country, the wifi 64GB one costs $427, the pencil $110

    Should I go with the Pro?

    I know that Pro 9.7 only has 2 gigs of ram, but for procreate, the 3 gigs for Mini 5 also can only hold the same amount of layers as the 2 gigs right?

    I read about Pro 9.7 for 2019 in reddit too, they said the performance still hold for the next 3 years?

    submitted by /u/ybbond
    [link] [comments]

    Handwritten notes to text app

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    Hi Folks,

    I am looking for an app to do what the title suggests.

    I've done some of my own research and found that "notability" was the biggest favoirte.

    My only problem with it is I need to write...THEN circle my text and then convert it.
    I am sure I have seen a friend us an app where it converts as he writes.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/UFCmasterguy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel