• Breaking News

    Friday, August 2, 2019

    macOS what’s this icon mean?

    macOS what’s this icon mean?


    what’s this icon mean?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 04:07 PM PDT

    My MacBook Pro Running Catalina Beta The Boot Drive Was Unplugged While Running. Now The Drive Icon Changed. What Happened?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 05:24 PM PDT

    How To Theme Your MacOS Icons On Every Version and Where To Find The Themes!

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 09:37 AM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I've been working on a project for quite a while and felt like this would be the place to write about it and share with people. The project is known as MacThemes/MTInstaller and it allows you to theme your MacOS Icons (and more eventually...) on every OSX version. It's a really simple process and I've also developed a platform for people to find and share themes.

    To install your themes you can head to this link and see how to get started with my tools. You can also download themes from here which will be installable with my program, mti-cli. If you want to make a theme it's really simple as all you have to do is make a .bundle with all the images for each application you want to theme. There are currently only 3 themes up on https://macthemes.co/themes but they are super clean and very well made and there are more currently in the works!

    Basically we use a program called fileicon which sets a .png to a resource file or .icns file and made a wrapper around it to install and uninstall the themes. It's all open-source on GitHub so if you are interested in seeing the source code you can head there.

    Our Native Application

    We also have a Native Application that is almost done in development. Currently you must use terminal and the command line to use mti-cli but in a few days we will release MTInstaller which is a completely native application for macOS, offering a much easier experience for theming your desktop!

    Previews of Themes: https://imgur.com/a/esHFYzS

    If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or tweet at the MacThemes account on twitter.

    submitted by /u/maxbridgland
    [link] [comments]

    What is "sh"which wants to access finder?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 04:18 AM PDT

    If you are stuck on High Sierra as your last possible update, what are you missing out on?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 06:11 PM PDT

    My mid 2011 iMac cannot update past High Sierra. I upgraded the internal drive to SSD recently so it feels very snappy and I'm a happy iMac user again.

    How long will this 2011 iMac remain usable? What major software releases require Mojave or better that I'm missing out on? So far, everything that I use runs fine on High Sierra.

    submitted by /u/xavier86
    [link] [comments]

    Need help! Deleted files from MacBook but space is not being cleared.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 06:55 PM PDT

    Today I moved a folder from my HD that was almost 100GB in size to an external HD (I don't use Time Machine/never have) and once I ejected the external HD I moved the original folder to the trash and emptied it. This was about 6+ hours ago and the space is still not freed up on my HD.

    I already tried re-indexing spotlight and that didn't help either. I am out of ideas. My HD is showing as having 10 GB of free space when it should be around 110 GB of free space. I've also re-started my computer several times.

    I run Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

    ETA: I can delete other files now (like I just deleted a smaller 3 GB file and that bumped by space up to 14 GB free but how can that be possible? It's like the huge folder I deleted never actually cleared but things are now.

    submitted by /u/gilliang3
    [link] [comments]

    How to hide mailboxes in Mail.app?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 02:01 PM PDT

    Hi!

    I want to hide some mailboxes form the sidebar of my Mail app. I mean "flagged" or "drafts".

    How to do this?

    submitted by /u/szonk
    [link] [comments]

    Do you use a virus scanner, and which one and why?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 03:45 PM PDT

    I don't like Norton because of all pop ups and it seems to use a lot of power on the background.

    submitted by /u/Thijs_v_w
    [link] [comments]

    How to do automatic Mac OS software updates?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 12:47 PM PDT

    Hello, Been trying to automatically update Mac OS software but it never updates overnight. The Mac is plugged I. To power and all apps are closed. Has anyone ever gotten it to automatically update and install new software successfully?

    submitted by /u/sahooavinash18
    [link] [comments]

    Should I upgrade?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 05:15 PM PDT

    Hey! I just bought a mid 2013 MacBook Air i7 8gb RAM and 128gb SSD and it has El Capitan installed on it. Should I stay on it or upgrade it? If I do should upgrade, which one? I heard Mojave is trash

    submitted by /u/raqueltbrb
    [link] [comments]

    Why do iTunes movies start out low res then back to normal?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 08:09 PM PDT

    I'm watching some extras on Avengers Endgame which I bought in HD on iTunes. They would play for a few seconds in low res (360p or 480p) then switch back over to 1080p. Why is that? It's downloaded so I'm not streaming over WiFi.

    submitted by /u/EddiOS42
    [link] [comments]

    When compressing a file with Keka (7zip), does adding a password mean it's encrypted in AES-256?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 07:50 PM PDT

    My understanding is that .7zip's encryption is AES-256, but I'm assuming that's only if the file is password protected through the relevant software (7zip on Windows, Keka etc on Mac). Does adding a password in Keka mean that the file is likewise encrypted with AES-256?

    submitted by /u/jimmypositron
    [link] [comments]

    Spilled coffee on my macbook air yesterday.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    Yesterday at the end of doing my morning routine to get ready for work having lunch packed consisting of spaghetti or something, sodas +1 to many,ice, and watermelon lol since it's hot af outside. I'm eating my breakfast and drinking my coffee that I meticulously do the same every in the French press lol I fucking spill it all over my keyboard probably like half a cup of it. I quickly try to clean up as much as I can and leave it in my room until after work. Later that day I try turning on and then plugging it in I freak out I start the teardown to try and salvage the thing my cleaning the inside, in doing so I pulled of the fan tape and its connector messing the laptop up forsure my 2012 MBA gone.. it was such a workhorse got me a degree in psych and was a torrenting beast with only a 128gb storage I was happy to transfer things over. So 2 questions:

    1.Having the m.2 ssd could I plug this into a PC or laptop piece or usb and pull my data.

    2.Then booting into it using a PC how difficult would that be, is that question more like hackintosh?

    I really just want my files I had in my general folders like desktop, downloads and docs but I'd would be nice to boot into it.

    RIP my 2012 Macbook Air It had a i7 A mere 128 GB 4 GB of ram And was currently on macOS high Sierra, ran through so many variants!

    submitted by /u/VARIMAXROTATION
    [link] [comments]

    Little Snitch discount

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 02:18 PM PDT

    So Little Snitch is fantastic and the best firewall for MacOS in my opinion. But I'm not paying 45$...

    Anyone who can help with a discount, please? Maybe the developers can be kind enough and provide us Redditors with a limited discount code maybe? :))

    submitted by /u/Qwerty44life
    [link] [comments]

    Expert help needed! Certain programs will not open after downloading something else through Terminal.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 11:50 AM PDT

    Hey.

    A few weeks ago I downloaded youtube-dl onto my MacBook for my work. Everything worked fine after the whole download process except two applications.

    Firefox will not open because it cannot locate a "profile". I have done all the support articles on their website including a fresh install and nothing has worked.

    Any software by Native Instruments does not work either. Below I will post the error report that I get when I launch the Native Instruments software application named "Native Access". It is supposed to be used to install all other bits of their software.

    There are 500+ threads starting with com.apple.corefoundation and then a bunch of other stuff following it. I do not know if that is useful. If it is please let me know and how the best way for me to upload the entire report.

    Process: Native Access [77060]

    Path: /Applications/Native Access.app/Contents/MacOS/Native Access

    Identifier: com.native-instruments.Native Access

    Version: 1.12.0.120 (???)

    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

    Parent Process: ??? [1]

    Responsible: Native Access [77060]

    User ID: 501

    Date/Time: 2019-08-01 11:43:36.904 -0700

    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)

    Report Version: 12

    Bridge OS Version: 3.0 (14Y901)

    Anonymous UUID: A785D650-B69B-A53A-D4C1-CC2541B530EB

    Sleep/Wake UUID: 8CC2D2BD-4489-4938-ACFA-ABD97ABE08F5

    Time Awake Since Boot: 850000 seconds

    Time Since Wake: 1100 seconds

    System Integrity Protection: disabled

    Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

    Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007ffeed786fe8

    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

    Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11

    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

    Terminating Process: exc handler [77060]

    VM Regions Near 0x7ffeed786fe8:

    MALLOC_SMALL 00007fa777800000-00007fa779800000 [ 32.0M] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

    --> STACK GUARD 00007ffee9f87000-00007ffeed787000 [ 56.0M] ---/rwx SM=NUL stack guard for thread 0

    Stack 00007ffeed787000-00007ffeedf87000 [ 8192K] rw-/rwx SM=ALI thread 0

    Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

    [HERE GOES THE STUFF I TOOK OUT FOR CHARACTER LIMIT]

    External Modification Summary:

    Calls made by other processes targeting this process:

    task_for_pid: 0

    thread_create: 0

    thread_set_state: 0

    Calls made by this process:

    task_for_pid: 0

    thread_create: 0

    thread_set_state: 0

    Calls made by all processes on this machine:

    task_for_pid: 4922924

    thread_create: 0

    thread_set_state: 0

    VM Region Summary:

    ReadOnly portion of Libraries: Total=417.9M resident=0K(0%) swapped_out_or_unallocated=417.9M(100%)

    Writable regions: Total=557.8M written=0K(0%) resident=0K(0%) swapped_out=0K(0%) unallocated=557.8M(100%)

    VIRTUAL REGION

    REGION TYPE SIZE COUNT (non-coalesced)

    =========== ======= =======

    Activity Tracing 256K 1

    Kernel Alloc Once 8K 1

    MALLOC 164.3M 12

    MALLOC guard page 16K 4

    MALLOC_NANO (reserved) 384.0M 1 reserved VM address space (unallocated)

    STACK GUARD 56.0M 3

    Stack 9232K 3

    VM_ALLOCATE 4K 1

    __DATA 25.5M 245

    __FONT_DATA 4K 1

    __LINKEDIT 233.1M 13

    __TEXT 184.8M 242

    __UNICODE 564K 1

    mapped file 25.9M 2

    shared memory 2640K 7

    =========== ======= =======

    TOTAL 1.1G 537

    TOTAL, minus reserved VM space 702.1M 537

    I do not know much about this deep computer stuff. I know my way around a computer very well until it gets to the deep code stuff like this. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Legit ANY help at all I am desperate.

    submitted by /u/Santi_S
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to install MacOS 9.1 without a mouse

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 11:15 AM PDT

    Started the install on an old Power Mac, but I can't seem to open the apple menu of file menu at the top of the screen, what am I doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/dirtyqtip
    [link] [comments]

    Unknown menubar icon after OS update

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 04:15 AM PDT

    Unknown menubar icon after OS update

    After an update to 10.14.6 (18G84) I noticed a menubar icon on the login screen I haven't seen before. It disappeared after login. Can anyone tell me what it is?

    https://i.redd.it/8ta7ifvbmtd31.jpg

    submitted by /u/But-I-Am-a-Robot
    [link] [comments]

    what actually IS a helper tool?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    No, I haven't installed any shady malware. I'm just curious. So far I found that they give an app some elevated permission (Thanks stackoverflow), but most of the search results are flooded with "im voluntarily installing malware and it asks about a helper tool" type questions. Hopefully you guys have some answers. What do helper tools actually do and where are they "installed"?

    submitted by /u/XygenSS
    [link] [comments]

    Screen flicker in YouTube full-Screen mode since updating to 10.14.6

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 09:00 AM PDT

    Printing Emails - Background colour missing

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 08:08 AM PDT

    So i'm not sure during which macOS this was implemented, but now whenever one of our client prints out an order confirmation from their website, the background colour of anything within the email is turned to white. I've been through all my emails to try and replicate. Lo and behold the background colours within the emails vanish.

    Any ideas on how to change this setting? I can't even find any mention of this on Google.

    submitted by /u/LeAngryBadger
    [link] [comments]

    High temp

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 04:25 AM PDT

    High temp

    Why the temperature soars up to 95° when unpacking dmg or installing apps? Is this ok?

    2018 MBP 15

    https://i.redd.it/86f8md33otd31.png

    https://i.redd.it/gy8uak33otd31.png

    submitted by /u/PaulSeagulll
    [link] [comments]

    booting from combined drive?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 02:23 AM PDT

    Combining two drives to form a bigger one was possible in the old Disk Utility, and it's still possible to do with command line tools. But I saw somewhere that booting from a combined drive may not be possible any more under Mojave and newer. Does anyone know for sure if that's the case?

    submitted by /u/zweesel
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel