• Breaking News

    Monday, July 29, 2019

    macOS Time Machine takes large backups every time.

    macOS Time Machine takes large backups every time.


    Time Machine takes large backups every time.

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 12:20 AM PDT

    I want to know whether this is usual or is something wrong with my machine.

    My Time Machine backups are always quite large, about 850MB to 2.5GB every time. I have auto backups turned off and take manual backups at the end of every day. I have an external HDD for the backups, connect my HDD to my mac, go to settings > Time Machine and then start the backup process. Every time it takes a huge backup, even if I take backups within 1 hour span. If I take a backup and immediately start another, the second backup is almost 200+ MB every time.

    What I do on my mac all day: Some music, some YouTube videos and lots of coding. The changes made to my projects everyday are not really large and I have excluded a lot of folders from being backed up to Time Machine such as build folders, resource folders, SDKs etc. I also have excluded the Applications folder from Time Machine as I do not need backups of the apps installed on my machine. I do not keep my iPhone backups on my machine and also excluded the iTunes folders from Time Machine. I have a 128GB SSD with 72.3GB of free space. My mac is almost clean without any junk.

    Is it normal for Time Machine to take such large backups every time or is something wrong with my machine?

    MBP mid-2015 13 inch retina with 128GB/8GB.

    submitted by /u/post_depression
    [link] [comments]

    kernel_task

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 09:33 PM PDT

    My Macbook pro (2018) has been running kernel_task all day. I understand what it is doing, but its taking up most of my CPU and slowing my computer way down for no apparent reason. Is there any way to make it use less of my CPU

    submitted by /u/ThatsSoMerlyn_x3
    [link] [comments]

    Free Memory Issue

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 11:49 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I have this 32GB 2018 MBP. I use a lot of apps and generally 28GB of RAM is used by the system. After I close all applications 15GB RAM is still being used by the system. I am not sure but MacOS seems to be not able to free memory.

    I use this Free Memory utility that comes with Parallels Toolbox. After using the utility, it indeed lowers the used RAM to 7GB.

    Why can not MacOS free memory after closing all applications, do you think? And how can that Free Memory utility do the memory clean up?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Rosinde
    [link] [comments]

    System files take up 85% of my drive, what?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    I have a 2014 11" macbook air with a 64gb drive and 55gb are taken up by system files, WHAT?

    I only have 87mb worth of files, what gives??? It wasn't like this before.

    Update: I downloaded DaisyDisk, what i pressume a family member had Fortnite installed and it took 30gb of space.

    Everything is back to normal.

    submitted by /u/mymain123
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble deleting strange recursive files from Trash.

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 10:51 PM PDT

    Hello all, I have been throwing everything I have at attempting to delete a few files from my trash to no avail.

    The files I am attempting to delete are the Numbers and Pages apps. After initially deleting the apps from Launchpad, they were sent to the trash where they now permanently reside, claiming to be "0 Bytes". Taking a crack at Numbers first, I used "Delete Immediately" and it didn't work, giving me a dialogue saying that the item "q03BVD29zW9Xex" is in use. I went into the Terminal, and managed to navigate through tons of recursive folders until reaching a directory called "q03BVD29zW9Xex". Upon an attempt to delete this directory, it once again said "Directory not empty," which doesn't make sense because when I go into the folder and use "ls -la" the only two things listed inside are "." and "..". So it should be empty right? That seemed to be the last folder in the chain, and all the previous ones I also examined using "ls -la" and there were only ".", "..", and one directory in each.

    Man, this is pissing me off. Like, this problem isn't a big one, and isn't affecting my daily computing, but boy does it bug the hell out of me. Any suggestions on what to do? I also tried running disk repair and booting into safe mode, both of which seemed to have no effect.

    submitted by /u/pancakes_n_petrichor
    [link] [comments]

    How to upgrade a Macbook air 2017 ssd and keep all the files and system

    Posted: 29 Jul 2019 02:05 AM PDT

    Hi, so I've bought a m2 ssd with 512gb and I want to use it as my macbook air ssd. How do I move everything that I have on my current ssd and put it on the new one?

    I've done a backup on time machine of my current ssd but I don't know if it will work to clone this SSD to the new one.

    Can someone help me please

    submitted by /u/getonmylvlpls
    [link] [comments]

    Time Machine drive full but not deleting old backups

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 08:30 AM PDT

    As the title says, my Time Machine isn't backing up because it says it needs 350GB but there are only 340GB free on my drive (out of 3TB.) It says that the oldest backups will be deleted when the drive becomes full, but it doesn't seem to be doing that. A full backup is only 1.81TB, so there's room for an initial backup on there as well.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the older backups to create more room, or something else I could try?

    submitted by /u/das_goose
    [link] [comments]

    CPU temp keeps reporting as -128.00 C and fans won't stop running following logic board replacement, any ideas why?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 06:59 AM PDT

    Late-2013 rMBP, logic board replaced by ARC, using command line and Fanny to monitor temps. System starts in high 20's Celsius and runs in the 30's but will randomly start reporting -128C temp and kick in the fans.

    submitted by /u/mclardass
    [link] [comments]

    Mi Sport Bluetooth Earbuds Pairing with MacOS Mojave

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 06:35 PM PDT

    Did anyone successfully pair with your MacOS Mojave (latest update). Is working fine with iOS (latest).

    submitted by /u/d4v1dv00
    [link] [comments]

    Mac won’t boot teamviewer (I have the same problem as him)

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 08:19 AM PDT

    Chargeberry App not available in your country!

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 10:01 AM PDT

    Chargeberry App not available in your country!

    https://chargeberry.com

    Wanted to give this a try however on clicking on the App Store link got this...

    https://i.redd.it/920drrwas2d31.png

    Anyone got the .dmg or install file so I can give it a try?

    submitted by /u/coffeesurfers
    [link] [comments]

    [help] Syncing bookmarks for PDF files between Apple Books on iOS and macOS.

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 06:10 AM PDT

    Specifically PDF files.

    • Bookmarks for PDF files sync works flawlessly between iPad and iPhone.
    • Last page read also works between iOS devices.

    It simply doesn't between macOS and iOS. macOS opens the PDF files in Preview even if one opens the PDF file within the Apple Books. Preview handles bookmarks differently and does not sync with Apple Books.

    I can't find a solution after scouring the internet for days.

    BTW, all syncs are working fine for "books" between Apple Books on iOS and macOS. The problem is only with PDF files as preview on macOS is interfering with opening Apple Books files.

    submitted by /u/xtreem_neo
    [link] [comments]

    I'm trying to download Catalina on a separate partition

    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 08:28 AM PDT

    However my disk utility has some things about it that seem unusual. I'm unable to partition my hard drive. I booted into recovery mode and tried to do it this way. My "Macintosh HD" is encrypted firstly I'm not sure if that is normal, but it seems as though I'm unable to partition because of this (the plus and minus sign are grayed out). When I click on Macintosh HD and change from APFS (encrypted) to APFS it then allows me to click the + and add a partition but when I apply I get an internal state system error.

    submitted by /u/Jsebo15
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel