• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 23, 2019

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 22]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 22]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [July 22]

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 08:16 AM PDT

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Releases iOS 9.3.6 and iOS 10.3.4 With GPS Bug Fix for Older iPhones and iPads

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 10:18 AM PDT

    Apple likely releasing iOS 12.4 and HomePod 12.4 update today, Apple Card release expected

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    I Took Apple To Court And Won (Twice) 'Water Damaged' & Out of Warranty Mackbook Pro

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 01:03 PM PDT

    First Court Case: Water 'Damaged' MacBook Pro

    So I've just read this article on Reddit (I Fought Apple and Won) and thought I'd share my victory as well. It was the end of 2017 when my 13" Macbook Pro started to act strange. With just 1 month remaining of the default 1-year warranty, the screen began to peel off. It was in the middle of my PhD and needed to do a lot of reading and writing and my eyes where getting tired very fast while trying to distinguish between L, l, i, I, o, O, and 0, and so on.

    Went online, did a quick search and discovered that's a common issue with specific models. Also, it seemed that Apple was aware of the issue and had a free replacement program in place. A program that covered all devices, in or out of warranty. Happy to see that I've booked an appt with Apple and they had a next day slot at Apple Milton Keynes, UK.

    At the store, I've explained to the genius tech that while the peeling off is affecting the aesthetic of the device, it only bothers me as it prevents me from using it, especially now when I need to read a lot. The agent visually inspected the device, took notes, checked the SN, and finally agreed that it is an issue that Apple has to fix for free, as part of their own recall program.

    Anyway, he said, 'your device was under warranty, covered by our program, and even covered by consumer law here in the UK'. So he happily booked it in for a free screen replacement. All seemed too good to be true, given my past repair experience with Apple, but little I knew what was going to come next.

    Two hours later, an email arrived from Apple MK store. It was detailing the repair and the overall total cost. I initially ignored the email thinking that the cost shown there must be for their own record. At the end of the day, I concluded, 'my screen replacement was already checked and approved; free, under warranty; as cover by their own program'.

    However, in the back of my mind, I was still bothered by that email...'Why was there a mention of a logic board replacement?'. So I called the store.

    The guy on the phone read back a part of the engineer's notes to me: 'the sensors show extensive water damage'. Therefore, he said, 'the logic board must be replaced before they exchange the screen'. I've politely refused the 'offer' to pay for a new logic board replacement, explaining that it must be a mistake somewhere there:

    a) To start with, my MacBook was working fine when I dropped it off to the repair store. There was no issue with the logic board, only the screen. It was peeling off. I do not need or want a logic board replacement, just the screen cleaned, fixed, replaced, whatever they have to do so I can see better. His answer was that no matter the reason I've brought it in for, they have to replace the logic board.

    b) Second, I said, my Macbook Pro has never been in contact with water. I take great care of my items, and my MacBook has always been in a protective enclosure, in a bag, so where does the water come from? Sadly, he couldn't tell what is damaged (as the Macbook was still working fine) or where it could have possibly come from, knowing I've never got it in contact with water.

    c) Third, I asked about the applicability of Consumer Law here in the UK. His reply was that ''WATER DAMAGE' invalidates anything: Remaining warranty, Consumer Laws, etc.' Therefore, they won't touch the screen unless I pay to have the logic board replaced as well.

    I refused and arranged to collect my device, and from this point on, things couldn't get stranger. After I've collected my Macbook Pro, out of curiosity, I went online trying to find more about how Apple devices get water damaged without ever being in contact with water.

    I've discovered that what Apple calls sensor is in fact, a piece of paper (officially called Liquid Contact Indicators) that changes colour from white to red in the presence of humidity. I put emphasis on that: in the presence of moisture.

    There's no need for LIQUID CONTACT, or WATER DAMAGE to trigger the 'sensor' but just humidity, caused for example, by taking the laptop from a well-heated room outside, in the winter.

    So took it to a local repair centre to get a quote for the screen repair, and a full diagnostic that would help me understand more about that water damage. At best, I could learn from this mistake and make sure I don't destroy any MacBooks I might buy in the future.

    Two days later, I get a call from the repair centre with a quote and a full report. The report reads: "In perfect working order...impeccable outside/inside...one humidity sensor triggered...no water damage..."

    Advised by the engineer from the independent repair centre, I decided to leave the device untouched and take Apple to court. Called the Milton Keynes Apple store, explained the findings of the independent assessor and my intention to take them to court, only to be told "good luck' by the store manager.

    And so I did. Took Apple Milton Keynes store to court (https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim) and won. To cut the story short, it took a year and a half, lots of court fees (received them all back after I won the case - keep all receipts). There were endless email exchanges containing lots of subtle threatenings from Apple's lawyers. There were lots of dirty tactics such as switching court locations forth and back, creating and cancelling mediation appointments, missed phone calls, etc. They've tried everything you can imagine.

    • Finally, there are some things you have to understand - Apple might/will refuse your repair under these two main excuses: out of warranty, or water damaged.

    • However, irrespective of what they say, here's what you have to do, step by step, to win against Apple in court:
    1. Get an independent third party report. If the report findings are different from what Apple's engineers are telling you, proceeded to step two.

    2. Contact Apple, talk about the independent diagnostic and ask them to compare reports. Record the calls/emails. If they refuse, proceed to step 3.

    3. Go online and open a small claim court.

    Here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

    It is very straight forward; describe the issue, decided on the compensation, pay the court fee, and follow the steps.

    1. Always reply to all court and Apple demands. Accept and attend all mediations.

    2. Stick with your guns. Go to court on the date with all proof/pics/call records you have. Apple diagnostic, pics, third party diagnostics, emails, receipts, even parking receipts.

    3. Share your story as it unfolds here, for others to learn and get better.

    I said, "I Took Apple To Court And Won (Twice) 'Water Damaged' & Out of Warranty Mackbook Pro" in my title as I am in my second court case with Apple over another MacBook Pro 2017. It is the device I've purchased as a replacement of the one above, with the peeling off screen - as decided not to touch it until the court reaches a verdict. I know, I know...why did you buy another Apple?!! Let's not get there...

    So this new MacBook Pro 2017 refused to turn on about a month or so ago. As usual, I took it to the Apple store in MK. The diagnostic was a dead logic board, replacement £500. As I've learned from my past experience with Apple, I took my MacBook out of the store, and immediately to an independent assessor.

    Their findings were very different. A faulty 'Daughter Board Flex Cable', which was replaced for £15 and the device works again now. However, the engineer from the company that did the assessment and replaced the cable has kindly explained that the problem with my MacBook is serious: Apparently, a large number of Apple Macbook Pro A1708 13 models suffer from a factory fault (logic board-SSD), and Apple has in place a new recall program, and it seems my device qualifies for that particular recall.

    I've called Apple again, explained the situation, that my device works now without having to replace the logic board, and mentioned the recall program. This time I got in touch with a senior advisor from the US, in their attempt to avoid another court case as last time Apple lost a lot of money. I guess we all agree. Wouldn't be easier, faster, and much cheaper to replace a faulty part, especially knowing that it is correct to do so?

    Back to the in-store manager and the US supervisor. While both sounded overly empathetic towards the issue, their answers were quite similar:

    "Sorry, we can't help. You can invoke Consumer Law, but it does not affect us as it applies only to vendors. We are a manufacturer, so it does not apply to us". Or, "the recall program does not apply as your device is no longer under warranty". And finally, "if you feel you are right, do take us to court."

    Interestingly enough, the recall states clearly that it applies to all devices: in or out of warranty, all devices are covered. I don't know if it is Apple's latest policy to mislead customers or the engineers are no longer motivated to care. Don't know what it is, but if you, Apple, don't care, why should we? See you in court, Apple, once again.

    Any of you interested to know more, feel free to contact me directly. I'll share with you court files, pics, tips, how much was the payout, and much much more.

    submitted by /u/larnaux
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Shuts Hong Kong Stores Early as Fears of Lawlessness Rise

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    Searching in Messages in iOS 13 has been COMPLETELY revamped!

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    Search FINALLY works properly! Along with massive UI changes, search is fast and instant! Search for a word, and it will show you every instance of that word in your history of text conversations. I have messages saved all the way from 2011, now saved onto Messages in the Cloud. My search results load up almost instantaneously.

    I would share a video example, but there's too much private info in my messages to share. I urge you to go check it out yourself!!

    submitted by /u/hybridhighway
    [link] [comments]

    Report: Apple to switch from OLED to microLED displays in Apple Watch as soon as next yea

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 03:19 AM PDT

    Apple in Advanced Talks to Buy Intel’s Smartphone-Modem Chip Business

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 02:22 PM PDT

    I keep seeing people say Apple Card rewards suck. So I made a comparison chart:

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 01:43 PM PDT

    See Chart

    Whatever your interest, there's of course the question of if it's worth adding to your credit history.

    I looked up some credit cards to compare Apple Card to since it launches any day now. I didn't include cards that required some other type of banking or financial account to apply like local credit unions that have some crazy good cards, and I limited the annual fee to ~$100 in my search.

    That said, tell me what other features and cards I should compare! I may have made mistakes or overlooked some great cards, so I wanna hear your opinions.

    submitted by /u/cannono
    [link] [comments]

    watchOS 5.3 brings ECG app to Canada and Singapore - 9to5Mac

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 09:45 AM PDT

    Apple's Walkie-Talkie Apple Watch App Works Again Following iOS 12.4 and watchOS 5.3 Release

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 02:39 PM PDT

    Bloomberg: 18-Karat Gold Apple Watch Edition Sales Fizzled After Just Two Weeks

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 07:25 AM PDT

    Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.6 With Apple News+ Improvements and Multiple Bug Fixes

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 10:25 AM PDT

    Apple Hires Tesla Engineer With Interior Design Experience

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    Apple patent application details AR/VR headset with gesture tracking and more

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    Apple security updates for 7/22/2019.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 01:41 PM PDT

    Today in Apple history: Mac OS 8 becomes an instant smash hit

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    I've tried so many different earbuds and I can say that AirPods are the best (Android user's perspective)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    Never thought the day would come where I buy an apple product, much less post here. However, the AirPods are so good that I think that in all due respect I need to leave some praise here.

    Being an android user, the first thing that caught my eye was the Jabra Elite 65t. They have the best sound out of all of the ones that I've tried, but they had a terrible fit and just felt so uncomfortable and clunky. Moving on the the Galaxy buds. These were definitely more stealthy, but the problem was that they were again, uncomfortable. They felt like a "beta test" in turn of the actual experience.

    Now today, I returned those and picked up the AirPods after learning that they worked with all devices. I needed a good fit. And hoo boy, these are amazing!

    Thing I love:

    - The fit! It feels like the airpods were made for my oddly shaped ears. They fit so secure that I can even wear them when jogging & working out, ironically unlike the other "sport" earbuds i've tested.

    - The sound! I honestly had low expectations after going through the other ones, but the AirPods definitely have as good sound. The bass was exactly to my taste (hard & loud!) and there was no harsh highs unlike the other buds I tested.

    - The comforrrtt! I could forget that I'm wearing them. Awesome.

    Knowing this, there are some things that could be better:

    - Wind sounds terrible with airpods in

    - They don't hold up in loud environments

    - I feel so silly wearing them, partly because it feels like you are involuntarily flexing on everyone around you and partly because they feel like they never line up with your ears.

    That's the end of my quick AirPods "review." Thank you, apple!

    submitted by /u/FinalFortune_
    [link] [comments]

    PyIcns - MacOS Theming Toolkit | All Versions Up To Catalina

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    Apple in Advanced Talks to Buy Intel’s Smartphone-Modem Chip Business

    Posted: 23 Jul 2019 12:30 AM PDT

    How deep you are you in Apple ? Which services and products you use for what? Mine:

    Posted: 22 Jul 2019 05:44 PM PDT

    I have two iPads, one for entertainment (5th gen) and I use the other one (6th gen) for taking notes at university with Apple Pen.

    I use my iPhone X as my daily driver with series 0 Apple Watch ( looking forward to get s5 )

    I have a 2015 MacBook Pro which I use it for web developing also I have magic keyboard and Magic Mouse to increase my productivity.

    I watch tv with Apple TV and I listen to music while biking with my AirPods.

    My primary email is iCloud, I subscribed to 2TB plan storage.

    I use iCloud Drive as my cloud storage.

    I subscribed to Apple Music

    I use Apple Pay and i go card-free 99% of times.

    Please share yours. Love to see how people are using their apple products.

    submitted by /u/amirsadeghi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel