• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 3, 2019

    Apple Macbook My MacBook Air 2018 has Bluetooth 5.0, how's that possible?

    Apple Macbook My MacBook Air 2018 has Bluetooth 5.0, how's that possible?


    My MacBook Air 2018 has Bluetooth 5.0, how's that possible?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 11:57 AM PDT

    on this sub all the time I see people saying my laptop should have Bluetooth 4.2 but when I go onto my specs page it says LMP = (0x9) which is obviously Bluetooth 5.0, how's this possible? The Apple website says the specs for this laptop have 4.2 as well.

    submitted by /u/zachisjew
    [link] [comments]

    My Macbook mid 2010 has a loose hinge. How do I fix it?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:11 PM PDT

    Apple intentionally "permanently" disables MacBook batteries

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 01:02 AM PDT

    I'm mostly on Macs since around 2003 when I got my first iBook. As a software developer I naturally kept quite a few of them around over the last 15 years. Until some years ago I used my non Retina 15" MacBook Pro as secondary test machine when of course eventually the battery died. I got a genuine new one from Apple, but to my surprise it only lastest 6 month when I mostly left it on a desk for testing, and might not have used it in a month time. I immediately suspected a "firmware does not want to charge" anymore mode, which was confirmed when I found a BlackHat MacBook firmware battery hacking talk and looking up the Texas Instrument data sheet. I wanted to try hacking, and re-enabling it for quite some years now, and now that I have a YT channel documenting all the side project fun I finally did! So I wrote some ACPI code to send low-level commands, and that non working battery, that I had on the shelf for a quite some more years indeed hat the "permanently fail" "battery cell imbalance" bits set! A couple of more lines of ACPI I²C commands and I could indeed reset this bits and apparently fully revive the battery even too many years later! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwgjBxHDk1s This might not only be useful to save some money, it also becomes increasingly difficult to even find such batteries for keeping your vintage Mac collection alive!

    submitted by /u/0xRENE
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice to improve Macbook performance and efficiency

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 09:37 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I professionally produce electronic music and have recently been running into some CPU issues when using plug-ins that use a lot of memory/ram. Even before a project is too bogged down by plug-ins/layers, some of these CPU heavy plugins either crash my production software or just wont run smoothly at all.

    I have already replaced/upgraded a good amount of the interior hardware in my Macbook, but I wanted to post my computers stats to see what you all would recommend I do that may help it run more efficiently. I am open to purchasing new hardware, changing my workflow, optimizing my data storage, etc... Any recommendations would be appreciated! (Also open to getting a new computer if I cant do much to help my current situation)...

    Thanks in advance for any insight!

    • MacBook Pro: (13-inch, Mid 2012)
    • Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (two slots with 8GB each)
    • Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
    • Storage: 1TB Solid State SATA Drive (90GB available)
    submitted by /u/keenanbranch
    [link] [comments]

    2012 MacBook Air in 2019?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 12:22 PM PDT

    I was wondering if it would be viable to use my 2012 MacBook air for school use. It is the i5 4GB RAM model, but it still runs Mojave fast.

    submitted by /u/liammanchester_
    [link] [comments]

    Please help with (simple?) picture question.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 12:28 PM PDT

    Please help with (simple?) picture question.

    I would like to be able to take photo's with my webcam during the upload process, just like what is possible on my iPhone.

    On my phone it is easy:

    https://i.redd.it/fcrdw4i7jwp21.png

    But on my MacBook Pro, I do not have the option to access my webcam:

    https://i.redd.it/c5ml4ejojwp21.png

    ------------

    It's a considerable amount of work to have to use a 2nd program to take pictures, name and save the photos, and then locate/upload them. I am using this process to check people in at events with several hundred people. My current plan is to use a cellphone or iPad as a work around.

    Can you help me? Thank you

    submitted by /u/jaytonbye
    [link] [comments]

    microsoft office 2016 for MacBook Pro (OS X El Capitan ver.10.11.6)

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 03:48 PM PDT

    Hey Looking for some help, does anyone know where I can microsoft office for my older (2011) macbook pro. Looks like my OS is too old for 365 and 2019. So looks like I have to get 2016. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/sully6toes
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to boot up a 15" 2008 MacBook Pro...

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    Hello.

    Over 30 minutes ago, my client and I were unable to power up a 15" 2008 MacBook Pro, with Mac OS X El Capitan v10.11.6, after it was accidently powered off from its physical move between tables with its power cable connected (still have its original battery inside). We saw and heard nothing. We tried unplugging everything (USB mouse and printer) and letting it cool down (was pretty warm in high 60F degrees kitchen). The only thing that still works is its MagSafe's light (green). I didn't smell anything burning either.

    Is this over decade old machine finally dead? :(

    submitted by /u/antdude
    [link] [comments]

    Replacement for a MacBook Pro 13” 2015?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 10:01 AM PDT

    My home got burgled last weekend and my precious MacBook is gone forever and now I'm in the hard situation of needing to purchase a new MacBook that never wanted... so I'm a bit lost. What would be the best choice of replacement right now? Or is best to wait for the 2019 iterations?

    Assuming an iPad Air 2019 wouldn't be an option... 🙄

    submitted by /u/AccordingElderberry
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on the new Macbook pros

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 05:36 AM PDT

    I have a 2015 Macbook Air and I plan to upgrade to a Macbook Pro eventually. The keyboard is very concerning though, and I don't want to get the new Macbook Pro with touchbar. How do you guys find the new Macbook keyboard? And what are your guys' thoughts regarding the upgrade?

    submitted by /u/syntaxerror09
    [link] [comments]

    Mid 2012 MBP (El capitan -> Mojave) Seems slow to me

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:31 AM PDT

    I've been on mojave a month and a half now, things are doing ok, and i updated my RAM from 8Gb to 16Gb. But i feel like the system is "slower". I have a samsung EVO SSD. Weirdly enough i get better battery life.

    Has anybody noticed something like this?

    submitted by /u/simobm
    [link] [comments]

    8gb ram enough for the following?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 09:42 AM PDT

    Still looking at a 2015 MacBook but only has 8gb ram. This is what my current PC had as well and I'm thinking of switching to apple and this is withing my price range at the moment. I usually do just emails and internet browsing with Max 10tabs open at a time and the occasional Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom. That's honestly about it but want to be safe and ask anyway. I'm looking at a 2015 pro 2.7ghz/8gb/128ssd for $600 with box and all. Thanks

    submitted by /u/gingernuts13
    [link] [comments]

    Should i buy this MacBook from eBay?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:33 AM PDT

    15" MBPR: How to have it in clamshell mode, but with the screen actually open?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:22 AM PDT

    I use my mac with a keyboard/mouse and 2 4k monitors most of the time for intensive programs, and the lid shut just traps in heat which isn't ideal. I already use SMC fan control maxxed out to help performance, but having the lid open would be even better. Is there a method to have it think it's in clamshell mode while the lid is open?

    submitted by /u/supersillier
    [link] [comments]

    Got a MacBook Pro early 2008

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 03:36 AM PDT

    I have a early 2008 15inch MacBook Pro, has the Nvidia graphics card.

    Here's the catch. I'm assuming it's suffering from the Nvidia issue.

    The minute I plug it to MagSafe, it shows that it's charging, machine boots up without me pressing my button and the fans is spinning

    However it boots to black screen.

    Is there any solution to this? Might give a call to Apple for this.

    It's strange, that the minute I plug in the magsafe, it would turn on its own without me Pressing Anything.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/redsendhalp
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel