• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 3, 2019

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 02]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 02]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 02]

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 07:12 AM PST

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    [The /r/Apple Show Podcast] 025 Not Possible

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 11:24 PM PST

    u/jellyw00t & u/jamesvdm discuss caffeine withdrawals and being flat out rejected by your idol.

    Listen on Overcast (web player) or Apple Podcasts or any other podcast app.

    Topics:

    • In 2019, Apple needs to change iPhone's call UI because robocalls are killing us

    • AirPower officially misses 2018 deadline, Apple silent on its status.

    • Apple's Former Marketing Director Returned his Bent iPad Pro on Monday saying he's unhappy with Apple's Handling of the Matter

    • Apple really needs to give more attention to Apple Music by u/marcus_413

    • Apple exited the home Wi-Fi market at the wrong time

    • A Letter from Tim Cook to Apple Investors

    You can support the show at http://patreon.com/therappleshow

    submitted by /u/jamesvdm
    [link] [comments]

    A Letter from Tim Cook to Apple Investors

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 01:38 PM PST

    Apple services need more regular updates in order to not fall behind.

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 05:45 AM PST

    Services like Siri, Apple Music, and Apple Maps only receive major features once a year. Which means we have to wait for new iOS releases to get any improvements.

    Meanwhile, google seems to add stuff to assistant every month without issue. You don't have to wait for a new android release to enjoy those features either.

    submitted by /u/exploding_m1
    [link] [comments]

    Apple warns on Q1 results

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 01:34 PM PST

    iPhone X Battery Case discovery

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 04:06 PM PST

    So I was recently given an iPhone 7 Battery case which was pretty banged up, so i decided to cut it up in an attempt to make an iPhone X version. I cut off all the sides & dremeled out the bottom so the X would fit in it. The phone does work with the case once I got it to fit, and I made an interesting discovery. iOS 12.1.2 already has the icon for an iPhone X style battery case. For the time being I have to figure out how to combine the electronics of this case with an iPhone X case.

    https://imgur.com/a/dFfePVq/

    submitted by /u/Rationalspace787
    [link] [comments]

    iOS 12 Now Installed on 78% of All Devices From the Last Four Years

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 08:41 PM PST

    Anyone else miss their iPod Classic

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 02:47 PM PST

    Idiot me sold mine when my wife got me an iPod Touch and then later I got an iPhone.

    As a music player goes, it was darn near perfect. The scroll wheel on the front was the PERFECT input device to scroll through and listen to music.

    And with flash memory upgrades available now, I could have upgraded the thing to hold an insane amount of music.

    The thing that pisses me the most is that the person that bought if off me dropped it a few months later and harassed me for a refund because it would not work and kept making a clicking noise. She claimed it never worked, even though I demoed it to her the day I sold it. It was a coworker and she actually tried to get the HR department involved to force me to give her a refund.

    submitted by /u/plazman30
    [link] [comments]

    New Apple Pencil Sandpapered to Look and Feel Like a Real Pencil

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 11:27 AM PST

    Tim Cook : I'm going to focus on what I can control

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 02:55 PM PST

    What happened to the iOS Outlook update announced in December?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 02:29 PM PST

    Lots of the news articles from early December mention it being on a staggered roll out starting December 5th, but I have yet to see it.

    Example article: https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/5/18125281/microsoft-outlook-design-update-ios-iphone

    Has anyone got the new Outlook redesign on iOS?

    submitted by /u/blazin2323
    [link] [comments]

    Those of you with the 2018 MacBook Air. How’s the experience been?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 08:29 AM PST

    I'm looking to get one and was wondering how the experience has been for some of you. It's either the 2018 Air or the new iPad Pro. I would be using it for basic use for school and web browsing and I'm looking at the base model Air as storage is not a issue for me.

    submitted by /u/YusukeGoku
    [link] [comments]

    A New Approach to iPad OS

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 02:15 PM PST

    Apple Devices Running iOS 13 Spotted in Analytics

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 12:40 AM PST

    I hope Apple develops Screen Time to its full potential

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 10:42 AM PST

    I've found Screen Time to be a great feature* - initially just as a way of seeing how I was using my iPhone & iPad, but increasingly as a way of nudging me away from mindlessly wasting time staring at a screen.

    However there's so much that it can't do at present, and I really hope Apple changes that in future versions.

    For example, I'd love to be able to track a longer-term graph of my usage habits, rather than just seeing a week-by-week comparison. Perhaps having the data feed into the Health app might be an easy way of doing that (or at least may allow other apps to access the data).

    I'd also like more granular options in Downtime and App Limits (for example, I'd like to be able to set limits on specific apps rather than just categories... and it would be nice to be able to specify different Downtime schedules for different days).

    * My one criticism is the way it interacts with Safari. If you want to use Safari during Downtime you have to click to ignore the limit for each website you visit, rather than being able to temporarily ignore the limit for the app as a whole... and you can't add Safari to the 'Always Allowed' category as a work-around. The only solution I've found is to download a different web browser that I use if and when I want to look up a website during Downtime.

    submitted by /u/shurrupyetick
    [link] [comments]

    Tim Cook holding all-hands meeting w/ Apple employees on Thursday to discuss Q1 2019

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 08:33 PM PST

    Apple telling Cnet on Nov. 28 that the iPhone XR was the best selling model since launch did not do investors any favors.

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 10:35 PM PST

    Steve Jobs Talks About Why Apple Failed

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 12:40 AM PST

    It’d be really cool if Apple made a 15” MacBook

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 01:10 PM PST

    I just really wish there was an option for a 15" screen on the MacBook without having to upgrade to the Pro lineup. I don't need the extra power, but I want the larger form factor that a 15" would provide because, in my current situation, an external monitor or iMac is simply too big to constantly haul around (not to mention I can't always plug them in). Can anyone else sympathize?

    submitted by /u/ZackeryToler
    [link] [comments]

    “★ Steve Jobs and Apple’s Last Previous Earnings Warning”

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 08:46 PM PST

    iPhone X users that upgraded to the XS/XS Max, what real world difference have you noticed between last year and this year?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 02:00 AM PST

    Aside from the obvious screen size difference with the Max

    submitted by /u/aarf33
    [link] [comments]

    Another Apple Support Horror Story.

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 10:48 PM PST

    Hi there, this story is a little long so please bear with me.

    Back in October of 2018 I called into apple support. My phone was pulling a no service error. Like many others, I was dealing with an iPhone 7 model A1660 that was recalled several months prior. After speaking with a representative they informed me that I would have to take my phone into an apple store to have it repaired. I had heard tales of people having to do this and absolutely dreaded the idea of it. However with this recall I specifically was told that many people saw not only repairs, but total device upgrades as a courtesy of apple. I would also like to mention that at the time of calling into apple support and the day following when I went into the store, my warranty was still active.

    Upon arriving at the store I waited in line and was 4th to enter the store upon opening. I then got added to the queue and was told to sit and wait, which I did for 3 and a half hours. During this time I watched MANY people come into the store and get help before me, many of whom seemed to be purchasing new devices. I had managers come up to me 3-4 times asking "have you been helped yet?" To which I would always reply "no, but I would enjoy some assistance please." And then be brushed off and told to wait longer.

    When someone finally got around to helping me I made sure to describe the details of my issue. My phone was pulling a no service error and that apple has sent out a recall for the affected devices. I was then told that there was NOTHING they could do for me, and sent on my way.

    That alone was horrible to hear. I had my phone for less than a year and was essentially holding a paperweight in my pocket. I had insurance through my provider though right? So I should be covered for manufacturing defects? That's EXACTLY what my thought was, and luckily a Verizon store is directly across the parking lot from my local apple store. So off I went.

    I explained my issue to the representative who then informed me "yeah apple put out a recall, so we can't help you either."

    Now I'm stuck. Apple has refused to take a device in for repair/replacement as their website said they would, and my phone provider is refusing to replace my device due to a manufacturing defect.

    I spent the next month calling into apple and Verizon trying to get someone to understand how ridiculous this is. I have not had a phone for a month at this point. My provider is STILL charging me monthly for the line and the paperweight I'm carrying.

    Fast forward to December 24th. I've been without a phone at this point for 2 months. I cannot make / receive calls. I cannot text, I essentially have an iPod touch, not all that useful in an emergency situation. I FINALLY get ahold of a senior advisor from Apple. After an entire hour they finally agree to exchange my phone. I'm told that there is going to be a $600 hold placed on my card until the old phone is received. I get it, they have to be able to recover the loss if I'm trying to swindle them out of a phone. But I'm informed that once they get my device to them, that I will get my $600 back and shouldn't have to deal with this anymore. It was a flat device exchange with no other hoops to jump through.

    So the new device arrives on the 26th of December and I finally, for the first time in months, have a cell phone. I then package my iPhone 7 into the provided box, remove the outside showing Fedex label so that the return one is exposed, and drop it off at a local Fedex drop the next morning.

    Fast forward to tonight. I check my finances before going to bed, make sure that nothing unusual has happened, nobody has managed to steal my debit card info or something weird, and notice that not only do I have my $600 missing still (despite apple having said they received my device) oh no, I have an extra $345.37 charge on the account from the "Apple Online Store."

    Upon checking my email I see another note on my "repair" case, which at this point I've been told is a flat exchange. Apparently while in transit the device suffered some sort of damage, what exactly I have NO idea as apples notation skills on repair cases is about as useful as a toddlers handwritten shopping list. But now I'm out $945 AND they are claiming that they will be sending my device back to me, with no repair.

    My question is WHY AM I BEING CHARGED? I was told this would be a flat, warranty covered exchange. I was informed by a senior representative with Apple that I wouldn't have to worry about anything after shipping out the old device, and now, I have no idea what to do. And if no service repair has been done to my device, what is this $345 charge for!? You are giving me a service charge but not providing service?

    But more importantly what the actual HELL is up with apple support!?!? Everybody I ever speak with has always had nothing good to say about this support system, and now I understand why. I just woulda thought that with content creators like Linus Tech Tips and Snazzy Labs putting apple on blast for this truest atrocious support system, that Apple would've thought that maybe the loose screws should be tightened? But no. Instead I am now here, posting on reddit, praying that someone can tell me what my options are, because I myself am at a loss. I'm out nearly $1000 dollars at this point and I'm worried I'm never going to get it back, on top of apple refusing to repair a device that THEY publicly recalled for the exact reason I sent it in.

    Tl;Dr: I have paid $1000 to own the same paperweight that I've already almost paid $1000 for once before and Apple finds this acceptable despite recalling my device.

    submitted by /u/JoshCPhotography
    [link] [comments]

    iPhones are getting bigger, why not add split screen for iPhones?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 05:04 PM PST

    I feel like iPhones are big enough to justify this feature. I could understand not having it for 4 inch phone, however, it wouldn't hurt to add it now.

    submitted by /u/exploding_m1
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Watch: ‘Happy New Year’ notification won’t go away...

    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 12:54 PM PST

    It can't be swiped away like a normal notification. Using the 'clear all' option doesn't work. Does anyone have a trick to remove it?

    submitted by /u/flippinecktucker
    [link] [comments]

    downloaded music disappears when i add it to a playlist?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 12:44 AM PST

    not sure if this is the right sub for this, but whenever i add music that i downloaded from youtube to a playlist, it'll just disappear after a few minutes. how do i fix this? (ps, if you know a better sub to put this in, let me know)

    submitted by /u/physicsboom
    [link] [comments]

    Planned Obsolescence as a reason for lowered guidelines?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 12:07 AM PST

    So in Apple's recent press release about lowered estimates, this sentence caught my eye:

    While macroeconomic challenges in some markets were a key contributor to this trend, we believe there are other factors broadly impacting our iPhone performance, including consumers adapting to a world with fewer carrier subsidies, US dollar strength-related price increases, and ** some customers taking advantage of significantly reduced pricing for iPhone battery replacements. **

    Not sure if I'm reading this right, but it seems like they're saying the fact that customers realized their performance and battery life could improve by just replacing their battery stopped them from upgrading to the Xs.

    I don't know but this sounds like a pretty shitty thing to say to me.

    submitted by /u/ashindn1l3
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel