• Breaking News

    Monday, January 28, 2019

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 27]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 27]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [January 27]

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 07:13 AM PST

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Shortcuts Sunday - [January 27]

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 05:12 AM PST

    Hello /r/Apple, and welcome to "Shortcuts Sunday".

    The "Shortcuts Sunday" thread is your place to share your Shortcuts with the /r/Apple community.

    To share your Shortcut:

    1. Open the Shortcuts app
    2. Tap the "..." button next to the shortcut you will be sharing
    3. Tap the "Share" icon
    4. Finally, tap the "Copy iCloud link" icon and paste it to your comment.

    When sharing your shortcuts, please add a brief description of what your shortcut does and how it is useful. Bonus points if you can include a screen record of the shortcut in action.

    Don't forget to visit the /r/shortcuts subreddit for more information, guides, and shortcuts!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I paid $5000 for a top of the line Macbook Pro and it's utterly useless because it cannot keep it self cooled down

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 10:25 AM PST

    I'm really disappointed in Apple for this and sadly I will never buy another Macbook Pro after seeing what they've done with the latest version's cooling issues. This is insane. What's the point of having a monster CPU if it's clocked down to 1GHz a majority of the time?

    I can't help but feel a bit ripped off. I've been an apple fan forever and loved my old Macbook, and the 2 others before- that's why I figured I'd get another one when I needed something with better performance.

    • 15" 2018 Macbook Pro
    • High Sierra 10.13.6
    • 2.9 GHz i9
    • 32gb RAM
    • Radeon 560X

    I do a lot of dev work which involves running many processes at once and compiling a lot of code. I'd say I really stress this laptop, but the issue is after just a few minutes of my normal applications running, I notice this horrible lag everywhere.

    Finally I installed the Intel Power Gadget tool and found the CPU is stuck throttled to 1 GHz most of the time: https://imgur.com/a/pX7wLd5

    After sticking it in the freezer for a few minutes, everything runs smooth again when the frequency isn't being throttled: https://imgur.com/a/m7XU9Gc

    So my dilema is I've already sunk $5k into this work laptop and I'm stuck with it as I'm months outside of the return window. Is there any hope to fix this? Or is my only option to just sell it and buy something else that can keep itself cool?

    My advice to anyone looking at a new Macbook Pro as a monster work laptop- don't do it. No sense in paying for specs you'll never be able to actually use.

    UPDATE:

    I updated to 10.14.3, issue has persisted: https://imgur.com/a/I4eP05j Definitely bummed out as I thought there was hope.

    EDIT 1: The temperature seems to spike when I have my 2 monitors plugged in and is much better without them. I'm leaning more towards the GPU causing it to tip over the edge on temperatures now. An eGPU as /u/cronin1024 pointed out could help alleviate it but still frustrating that I have to pay more money just to fix a serious design flaw.

    EDIT 2: Going to the genius bar first thing in the morning to plead my case and explore available options.

    submitted by /u/0xFF810000
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Mojave 10.14.4 enables automatic Dark Mode on websites with black themes

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 06:55 PM PST

    Why does my iPhone X always lose track of what I was listening too?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 03:21 PM PST

    Mainly podcasts. I'll pause it and then when I go back to it the "now playing" widget is blank. Usually I pause with the headphone button. Then later when I push it again to start it just starts from the beginning of my music instead of playing the podcast. I deleted the music app because I never use it so now when I go to resume playing nothing happens at all. Gotta go back into the podcasts app. Really annoying.

    submitted by /u/zampe
    [link] [comments]

    Apple should allow us to view the battery health of our Airpods

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 07:04 PM PST

    In the settings menu under battery we should also be able to check the health of our airpods, and also be able to see the graph. Then we could see how fast the battery goes down with different kinds of music and see how much longer the battery will last.

    submitted by /u/VegaPlz
    [link] [comments]

    Pegatron planning expansion outside of China as Apple looks to make flagship iPhones in India

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 05:32 PM PST

    Two-factor authentication for Apple ID is useless because a trusted phone number is required

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 08:54 PM PST

    Two-factor authentication codes are always able to be sent via SMS to a trusted phone number. This is the weakest link.

    The problem with SMS authentication is that Phone number ownership is easily transferred to a criminal. All they have to do (in Australia at least) is provide a new telco the Name, DOB, Phone number of the account holder to port the number across.

    So if someone can steal your password in the first place, surely they are able to grab your full name, phone number and DOB for to gain control of your phone number to receive authentication codes.

    Once they're in, they can remove your existing trusted devices, and replace the trusted phone number altogether, making it even harder for you to regain control of your account.

    What are people's thoughts on this? Until Apple allows trusted device + hardware key only option. What can we do to protect our accounts?

    submitted by /u/ndjsta
    [link] [comments]

    Apple employees met with AR waveguide technology suppliers at CES 2019

    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 12:42 AM PST

    HomeBridge support for LG webOS TVs now available

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 08:26 AM PST

    Got this notification in the messages app. Anyone else seen this before? The warning is very helpful for those who may fall for phishing.

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 08:25 PM PST

    Apple seems to be passing on warnings regarding phishing. My messages app was acting up, so I force closed it and this warning popped up in one my threads: https://imgur.com/a/13NHjmJ

    Full screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/7rfehiD.jpg

    I have nothing extra installed on this computer. I watch what I do. I have an educational background in computers (why do I have to clarify this in the first place; I don't know lol).

    Edit 2: apparently having the AppleInternal folder on your root causes this! https://i.imgur.com/8QL0fEB.jpg Weird occurrence... I've had this folder on my root for years now.

    submitted by /u/Momskirbyok
    [link] [comments]

    Has Apple forgotten about Beats?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 01:59 AM PST

    Looking at the beats lineup, it annoys me how old and outdated they are. All of them still use Micro USB with only beats x using lightening. The models are over 2 years old now and we haven't seen any updates. Will we see new models this year? Hopefully they will all use USB-C.

    submitted by /u/WarriorsFanCuzLAbron
    [link] [comments]

    [TechAltar] The post-iPhone era: What Apple can learn from Microsoft

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 09:52 AM PST

    TIL: Reminders supports quite advanced options for customized reminders.

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 11:28 PM PST

    Screenshot

    I was putting in reminders for passport renewal notices when I decided to see if it could repeat the reminder over a longer period of time (10 years as with my passport). I indeed supported it and more.

    Interested in hearing creative ways these could be used.

    submitted by /u/TheSurfShack
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have a collection of live photos to use as wallpapers? (Watch and iPhone)

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 06:26 PM PST

    There's one sub I've seen, but there wasn't much to it. Thought someone might have a better collection to use.

    submitted by /u/ScreamYouFreak
    [link] [comments]

    Why is it so easy for developers to offer in-app subscription purchases but yet have not seen in-app subscription cancellation buttons?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 04:29 AM PST

    Now they have some shortcut button here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

    But remember a few months ago I had to find it through this way (7 steps!) https://m.imore.com/how-to-cancel-app-store-subscription-ipad-iphone-mac-apple-tv

    Is this deliberate or what?

    Story: had to help mum to cancel her 'trial' that turned into a perpetual sub unless you cancel. Since her English (it was an English app) wasn't great, the thought FREE (trial) meant free. Anyways, she wouldn't have figured out how to cancel the sub. Would make sense to just go to the app and press cancel somewhere in a menu.

    submitted by /u/__Q__W__E__R__T__Y__
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to go to the US Apple Store as opposed to the Canadian one?

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 11:45 PM PST

    So I'm saving up for an iPhone XS Max 256GB that I plan to purchase outright from apple as opposed to through one of the Canadian Carriers.

    When you look into the pricing of the XS Max with Apple Care+ the total with tax in Ontario comes to $2,235.14 CAD.

    Now consider I'll be trading in an iPhone 7 which I will get $226 for.

    So the cost of the Phone if you include the trade in Value is $2,009.124 CAD.

    Crazy amount to pay for a phone but that's the decision I've made so whatever.

    Then I went to the US Apple Store online, this is what really shocked me...

    My iPhone 7 that is worth $226 CAD to Apple in Canada. Is worth $250 USD to Apple south of the border?!?!

    So Apple US is going to give me $330 CAD for my phone (that's the exchange rate) if I'm to trade it into an American store?

    Now to the price of the phone.

    So the cost of the XS Max with Apple Care+ in New York State is $1,574 USD, or converted to $2,080 CAD. That's a $155 premium because I'm purchasing the device in Canada.

    Then factor in that I'm also trading in my iPhone 7, and we are looking at $1,723 CAD vs $2,009 CAD.

    Why does it cost me $286 more to buy the phone in Canada??? Do you think it's worth going across the border and grabbing it from a US apple store? Are there any problems I will have if I were to do this?

    Sorry to vent just wondering if anyone knows why there is such a drastic difference in price. Not to mention an extreme lack of financing options or bonus offers from Apple CA.

    submitted by /u/SuperSniper4
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone X (iOS 12.1.3) System Storage Size exceeds 200GB

    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 02:24 AM PST

    My iPhone 256GB is running out of space, since the System Storage is currently > 200GB. I did have Beta Versions installed in the past who may have caused this issue, but the continuously growing System Storage size is popping up in support forums and boards all over ... with no real clue as to why it is happening or how to solve it.

    Steps I've already tried:
    - restarting the iPhone multiple times

    - reinstalling iOS

    - backing up the device, then resetting it to factory settings, then installing the backup again

    None of the steps helped. Except for a complete new installation (which would be an awful lot of work), I cannot figure out where to go from here. Any input from the community?

    An odd occurrence that has been happening for a few months: Sometimes, the Notes app uses humungous amounts of data, sometimes more than 30GB in a few days ... without having nearly as many notes to justify that behavior. So, I've disabled Notes in iCloud, and later on re-enabled it, but this didn't help any with the storage size issue.

    submitted by /u/Nick544
    [link] [comments]

    2019 External Monitor - 5K Thunderbolt?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 02:12 AM PST

    I know for a while there was speculation that with the new Mac Pro on the horizon for 2019, if there were any new rumors about if Apple was still considering releasing a new 5K external monitor to go with it, or has that rumor be since quashed?

    I'm too lazy to look up anything. Easier to just ask.

    submitted by /u/martydmc12
    [link] [comments]

    This concept of the iPhone XI gives a more realistic view of the triple camera

    Posted: 27 Jan 2019 11:51 PM PST

    Could people please stop asking about air pods 2?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 01:14 AM PST

    Really, no-one here knows when they're out. No need for weekly threads on the topic.

    submitted by /u/exploding_m1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel