• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 29, 2021

    Apple Daily Advice Thread

    Apple Daily Advice Thread


    Daily Advice Thread

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 03:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Daily Advice Thread for /r/Apple. This thread can be used to ask for technical advice regarding Apple software and hardware, to ask questions regarding the buying or selling of Apple products or to post other short questions.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience.

    Here is an archive of all previous Daily Advice Threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type in the search bar [author:"AutoModerator" title:"Daily Advice Thread" or title:"Daily Tech Support Thread"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the titles and author.)

    The Daily Advice Thread is posted each day at 06:00 AM EST (Click HERE for other timezones) and then the old one is archived. It is advised to wait for the new thread to post your question if this time is nearing.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Megathread - On-Device CSAM Scanning

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 06:00 AM PDT

    Hi r/Apple, welcome to today's megathread to discuss Apple's new CSAM on-device scanning.

    As a reminder, here are the current ground rules:

    We will be posting daily megathreads for the time being (at 9 AM ET) to centralize some of the discussion on this issue. This was decided by a sub-wide poll, results here.

    We will still be allowing news links in the main feed that provide new information or analysis. Old news links, or those that re-hash known information, will be directed to the megathread.

    The mod team will also, on a case by case basis, approve high-quality discussion posts in the main feed, but we will try to keep this to a minimum.

    Please continue to be respectful to each other in your discussions. Thank you!


    For more information about this issue, please see Apple's FAQ as well as an analysis by the EFF. A detailed technical analysis can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I recovered my stolen bike with an AirTag

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 03:14 PM PDT

    I posted this on r/AirTags but I thought r/Apple might enjoy my story.

    A couple nights ago, my road bicycle was stolen while I was grabbing dinner. Unfortunately, this is just a part of city life and leaving a nice bike out in the public, even if locked up. In most cases, this would be the end of the story, as most stolen bikes are never recovered.

    Two weeks prior to the theft, I placed an Apple AirTag under the seat. Within minutes of the bike being stolen, I received an alert on my phone that the bike was left behind. I knew the lock had been broken and that my bike was on the move. I was immediately able to track the movement of the thief in the Find My app. They took an urban river trail which was close enough to get pings from several iPhones along the way. I tracked it to a local "tent city" and then called the police to recover it. I didn't want to engage them directly, but unfortunately the police arrived 15 minutes too late. The bike was on the move again in a vehicle this time, but luckily the thief had no idea it was being tracked. I was getting location updates about every 5 minutes while it was in the car. I following the pings as closely as possible. I assume that iPhones in passing cars were providing pings for location updates. Eventually it stopped at a local gas station and I used Precision Finding to track it down to the exact car, where I could see the bike through the window. I confronted the driver with the police on the phone, proved I owned it with a matching serial number, and they gave it back immediately.

    I realize that AirTags are not a perfect solution, but there's no way I would have recovered the bike otherwise, and I am ecstatic that I don't have to buy a new one!

    submitted by /u/h3ff
    [link] [comments]

    Apple's censoring in China affects Taiwan

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 04:36 AM PDT

    Apple wants your new driver’s license to be an iPhone, but FOIA requests showed states weren’t along for the ride

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    Apple’s new Private Relay is leaking your original address through WebRTC

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 11:35 AM PDT

    What's your biggest regret when it comes to Apple products?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 09:29 AM PDT

    For me personally it's gotta be not refunding my wrist band from my apple watch immediately, it's one size too large for my arm and I absolutely can't justify paying 100€ for another one.

    submitted by /u/FizzlnMyPants
    [link] [comments]

    Apple settlement in developers’ court case won’t lessen the political heat

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 10:08 AM PDT

    Sky Guide astronomy app for iOS gets its biggest update yet with release of Version X

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 11:39 AM PDT

    Is iOS reliable for sound production?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 09:20 PM PDT

    I've been reading chatter of all kinds of errors. Bad quantizing, missing sound, clicks, I/o configuration problems.

    I want to try using an iPad for music recording and production, but it feels like they're still years away from getting things right.

    submitted by /u/Manbadger
    [link] [comments]

    I received the Spectrum Apple TV remote today

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 11:37 AM PDT

    I have an Apple TV 4k, the previous gen.

    A lot of people seem to not like the remote, though I've always thought it was ok. Nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done and I've never run into any issues.

    I was able to order a Spectrum Apple TV remote and I got it in the mail today. I don't really need any new remote, but for $12, I bought it.

    Here is my quick review:

    The Spectrum Apple TV remote paired easily and it works fine.

    Basically, it's a remote for old people, while the original Apple TV remote on the previous gen is a remote for younger people in my opinion. The Spectrum remote is also way bigger and fatter than the small Apple TV remote.

    The main differences on the Spectrum remote are the lack of the trackpad, which is the main thing about the previous Apple remote that some people had issues with. I never did, and always found the trackpad to work fine. I have good dexterity though and am used to touch and swiping.

    There are some additional buttons on the Spectrum remote which enables quick access to certain functions that might be useful to some people if they use the Spectrum app a lot on their Apple TV.

    My final conclusion and comparison of the two remotes:

    Both remotes work fine, however the Apple TV remote allows for quicker navigating, due to the trackpad, if you're a human that is able to use the trackpad, not all humans can apparently. The Spectrum remote works fine too, and if somebody has trouble using the previous gen Apple TV remote, then for $12, it's a good option for those people.

    submitted by /u/pacmandaddy
    [link] [comments]

    The App Store is too big to change

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 08:05 AM PDT

    Apple Responds to Scanning All Your Photos - PARODY

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 12:45 AM PDT

    Apple's new settlement is a corrupt joke

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 09:37 PM PDT

    It’s too hard to find Apple Arcade games

    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 03:02 PM PDT

    Why isn't there a way to search for games within Apple Arcade? Actually, I don't care about the reason — there just NEEDS to be a search bar within Apple Arcade. It's absurd to browse through a hundred games, hoping to eventually land on the one your looking for.

    submitted by /u/mill40
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel