• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 27, 2021

    macOS macOS Big Sur 11.3 Release Megathread

    macOS macOS Big Sur 11.3 Release Megathread


    macOS Big Sur 11.3 Release Megathread

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 02:56 PM PDT

    Apple has released macOS Big Sur 11.3 (build 20E232), along with Security Update 2021-002 Catalina and Security Update 2021-002 Mojave.

    What's New

    Official release notes

    Security content

    SDK release notes

    Useful Information

    macOS Big Sur compatible devices

    How to update the software on your Mac

    Back up your Mac with Time Machine

    Feedback

    Please report any bugs through Feedback Assistant

    submitted by /u/CamSox1
    [link] [comments]

    Thought about updating Cinema 4D's icon after their announcement of supporting M1-powered Macs and Metal Graphics API.

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 11:26 AM PDT

    macOS 11.3 now available!

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 10:09 AM PDT

    This is so desperate, Apple. No, I don't want to enable Ask Siri. Don't ask me on every update!

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    Sideloading: my thoughts on the removal of one of the best features ever available in MacOS

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 05:11 PM PDT

    Once upon a time you could sideload any desired iPhone or iPad app onto a Mac with an M1 processor.

    Developers complained, offering lukewarm excuses like security and the fear of customers encountering bugs. But the truth is, it was always about control. If I pay good money for an app, I think I should be able to run it however, and wherever, I want. That doesn't mean you have to specially cater to my needs. If your app is only intended to run on an iPhone, I don't think you should have to write a Mac version just for me. But if it's technically possible to do so? I don't think you should go out of your way, to specifically block me from using your app how I want.

    With MacOS 11.3, Apple has blocked sideloading, which I don't blame them from doing. It's developers that are really the problem here by exempting their apps from the Mac, often charging for the exact same thing or leaving users out in the cold completely when it used to work fine.

    Previously downloaded apps will stop working once you upgrade, and you won't be able to install new apps. Some apps you downloaded months ago may continue to work.

    There are workarounds like installing 11.2.1 in a virtual machine or dual booting, but these aren't ideal.

    I think customers should vote with their wallets and their App Store reviews. If you're thinking of buying an app, check first if it runs on a Mac, even if you don't have an M1 Mac right now. If you're dissatisfied that a developer has blocked an app that works completely fine from running, rate and review it accordingly. And contact developers, and Apple, to share your feedback.

    Here's hoping some brilliant mind somewhere is developing a workaround.

    And developers, please prepare to hear from unhappy customers like me. And for Heaven's sake, please consider doing the right thing.

    submitted by /u/smarthome_fan
    [link] [comments]

    11.3 is out now, check it now.

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 08:16 PM PDT

    iOS apps on M1 Macs & 11.3

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 02:40 PM PDT

    In case you have yet to update today to macOS 11.3 and have an M1 Mac with iOS apps on it, unless its from the Mac app store, it will no longer work in 11.3.

    Previously using configurator to download the .ipa file was the work around for non-Mac App Store downloaded apps. Now they'll give an error when opening already installed iOS apps, and will give an error if you try to install them outside of the Mac app store.

    So unless anyone else has a new work around that I'm unaware of 11.3 pretty much disabled them. I still think its ridiculous that plenty of the most popular iOS apps aren't allowed or updated by devs to run on M1 Macs.

    submitted by /u/albuena
    [link] [comments]

    webms in safari are finally supported in 11.3

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:00 PM PDT

    I cant use Screenshot then being saved to Messages anymore

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 10:57 PM PDT

    I tried after updating to the latest os, screenshot a portion of my screen, and enabled "messages" as the saved location. Normally it will be attached as message , ready to be sent. Now screenshots are saved in the desktop

    submitted by /u/josef_cruz93
    [link] [comments]

    Speed up your Mac by managing background processes

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 03:34 PM PDT

    I just did a new clean install of Big sure and after one day I have 90 processes running in the background. It's just like a PC now. I have several background processes that dramatically spins up the cpu 110%, unfortunately, even native app such as Photos causes the during constant sync attempts.

    I have "clean my mac" installed to remove a couple of apps that think should be part of start up. Just removing as many applications as I could have made my mac faster, not in terms of benchmark software (that would just be an additional program that I only use once a month) but these cPU hungry backgrounds applications suddenly start and then you only have 60% of your resources. So managing these backgrounds issues means having more resources available when you need them.

    seriously Installing Photoshop and illustrator adds at least 15 processes, both are programs I only use a couple of days every month. Why is this the norm, now every application wants to add a custom electron app or cloud and resources and a bunch of things the should be pro features or something that you might opt into if you use the apps on daily basis. Even Dropbox has become cluttered if you use their App and a colleague updates a couple of folders, then my machine will think that it really needs to update and releases 100% of resources to dropbox. some ML function should be able to access if those docs are important for me or if that update should run at night or start with 10% resources.

    _ i cant be alone here

    • Okay to keep this short, please add you recommendation how do you manage and avoided all these background processes?
    • If you have some cool scripts and application that can nuke all the BS processes please link to them?
    • If you made a clean install and have recommendations how to remove the clutter - please explain what you did?
    submitted by /u/flight505
    [link] [comments]

    Mid-2012 MacBook Pro Upgrade

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 10:23 PM PDT

    Please can you help me.

    I'm planning on upgrading my mid-2012 MacBook Pro with an SSD. It's currently running Mojave.

    How do I go about creating a installation usb for Catalina for a new install on the SSD. I don't want to clone my current hardddrive as the new SSD will be smaller so looking to do a fresh install on the SSD. Would I be able to add a partition to my current harddrive to create the installation drive and then connect the old harddrive via USB to install? (I'm not sure I can get a big enough flash drive)

    Secondary question will the mid-2012 run Catalina comfortably? I have already updated the RAM to 8gb, just need to swop out the old harddrive for the SSD. It's going to defeat the point of getting the SSD if the laptop is still slow on Catalina.

    submitted by /u/keenansmith96
    [link] [comments]

    Discovered, experimented, and fixed two causes of stutter/lag on Big Sur. One more to go.

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 12:32 AM PDT

    I have a mid-2015 MBP 15" and I have been noticing that the OS freezes and stutters once in a while and so does safari sometimes when I am opening a new tab. Upon longer observation, I found out the two primary causes.

    Safari : This fix is fairly common and it isn't my original but I want to add a +1 to people who suffer. If safari freezes for you when you open a new tab, go to Preferences and change New tabs open with : Empty. This has eliminated my lag from safari.

    MacOS General : Now, this is a unique one and I realise why no one has been posting it or how I have not found fellow brethren to confirm it with. I had my wallpaper set to cycle(rotate between multiple wallpapers) and guys, I can confirm with certainty that it makes for a bad experience when the wallpaper changes and the system dedicates some weird amount of cycles to this. Maybe the background gaussian blur being applied causes it but this is either handled inefficiently or there has been a long present bug here.

    I hope it prevents frustration for some people.

    Now there is only one more left for me to find, why the fuck does my mac start stuttering sometimes when it wakes up from sleep and then continues to stutter until N sleep/wakes with seemingly no explanation. Restart always fixes it. And NO, I DON'T have discrete GPU on the machine.

    submitted by /u/parakhm95
    [link] [comments]

    open .iChat files on Big Sur?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 10:17 PM PDT

    I found some old iChat files that I'm struggling to open with messages. did attempt using textedit, was still encoded/messy to read.

    anyone have a solution/workaround?

    submitted by /u/taxi_drivr
    [link] [comments]

    Dark Mode or not?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 12:23 AM PDT

    I can not decide, therefore the small poll! Thanks for participating!1!

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/Xerceos
    [link] [comments]

    Can you turn off mac starting sound?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 07:02 PM PDT

    It is pretty loud. If someone knows how to do it please share.

    submitted by /u/negishiro
    [link] [comments]

    Dictation Not Working On 11.3

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 11:49 PM PDT

    Anyone else having problems using dictation after updating to 11.3? It comes on and then turns off right away.

    submitted by /u/AlexTheEditor1
    [link] [comments]

    Right click on a HEIC image and choose convert to jpg?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 01:54 AM PDT

    Are there any free app that allows me to right click on a HEIC image on my hard drive and quickly convert it to jpg?

    submitted by /u/GIFSec
    [link] [comments]

    When can we see color calibration on monitors connected through Mac like Apple Tv’s new setting?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 01:11 AM PDT

    Really impressed how using color calibration on my apple tv 4k turned out. Would like to see such function on macs as well

    submitted by /u/josef_cruz93
    [link] [comments]

    Safari 14.1 on macOS 11.3. Problems with Web Inspector

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 01:07 AM PDT

    Safari 14.1 on macOS 11.3. Problems with Web Inspector

    Is it just me or Apple managed to break Web Inspector in Safari 14.1? I can't seem to view webpage images when in Sources > Images folder. It used to show all graphics with ability to scroll them in previous version, and right now it's showing one random pic only.

    https://preview.redd.it/uk75eczhbov61.jpg?width=1800&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=675447fcfce8b256cdeba3f81263e895185898ed

    submitted by /u/the3ye
    [link] [comments]

    It’s not dead I hope: upgrade my iMac from Catalina to Big Sur 11.3 log in and stuck in Setup Assistant beach ball for hours. Just now App Store notification pops up. Will it be good tomorrow⁉️��

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 10:39 PM PDT

    after updating to macOS 11.3 the mail app keeps crashing after a couple of seconds of opening. how can I fix this it doesn't even give me the option to send diagnostics to apple

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:53 PM PDT

    Problem with using magic keyboard on windows side of bootcamped macbook pro

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 10:17 PM PDT

    This is really frustrating.

    I restart the comp and connect the keyboard as a new Bluetooth unit, it works if i constantly type on it. If i stop typing for 7 seconds (i timed it), the connection stops.

    Any ideas? There is nothing online at all about this.

    Please help!!!

    SOLVED:

    Went to https://magicutilities.net/magic-keyboard/download and downloaded driver. Works great! I think the problem had something to do with a power saving setting.

    submitted by /u/kajganajc
    [link] [comments]

    Update to 11.3 ASAP - Active Exploitation 0-Day

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 11:40 AM PDT

    how can i fix this white flashing

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    Big Sur 11.3 not finishing update

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    mbp mid 2015. trying to update to big sur 11.3 from 11.2.3 and it keeps getting stuck. unable to update. restarted and also turned it off and on again. still cant finishing updating. anyone experiencing issues ? anyone have a solution?

    submitted by /u/twitter-fingers
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel