• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 11, 2021

    macOS Yesterday's post about Safari not being able to load Favorites icons made me notice the Touch Bar loads more icons than Safari

    macOS Yesterday's post about Safari not being able to load Favorites icons made me notice the Touch Bar loads more icons than Safari


    Yesterday's post about Safari not being able to load Favorites icons made me notice the Touch Bar loads more icons than Safari

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:42 PM PST

    I don't think I have this many monitors, Apple

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 09:23 AM PST

    Command+Tab switch to minimised window

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:59 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I am fairly new to Mac and so have a thousand questions :) The first one is if i minimize the finder window and then from a different window (safari or edge) and i do command+tab and select the finder icon, the window does not re-appear. it is selected because i can see the top menu change from safari to finder but the window itself is still minimized.

    Is there a way to change this behavior?

    submitted by /u/Rippie0
    [link] [comments]

    Recently discovered that you can hover over maximize button

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 06:06 AM PST

    Double click Safari does not "maximize" window

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:18 PM PST

    Hi all,

    Some windows I can hold down command and double click on title bar it will maximise the screen but not full screen.

    I have noticed on other windows it does not work like that. for example Safari. it seems it enlarge the window a bit but definitely not to max size without going full screen.

    What is the deal here? i often like to work with a window in max size but not full screen.

    submitted by /u/Rippie0
    [link] [comments]

    M1 MacBook Pro drains battery with my home monitor, but does not with my office one

    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 02:22 AM PST

    Hello everybody!

    I have a new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip. So far I'm impressed by the performance and the battery life it has.

    I use it for work, always with an external monitor from 9 AM to 6 PM every day. After a couple of months I've noticed that if I'm working from home, my battery drains really fast. By 2 PM it's asking to be plugged.

    Once a week I go to the office, and use another external monitor there. In that case, at the end of the day I still have 40% battery left and never have to plug it. I can't explain it!

    Some information:

    • My monitor at home is a 27" Benq. It's a few years old (maybe 5), but works perfectly.
    • My monitor at the office is a 27" Dell. It's newer has more resolution than the one I have at home.
    • I use the same HDMI adapter for both cases (I carry it in my backpack)

    Hoy can this be possible? My thought was that using a monitor with more resolution would take a bigger impact on the GPU, but the exact contrary is happening!

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SomeDudeFromSpace
    [link] [comments]

    $400 phone vs. $1600 MBP. Damaged wifi antenna?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 01:48 AM PST

    Renaming USB Cameras

    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 01:38 AM PST

    Is there any way to rename USB Cameras? I use one camera but because I would sometimes use a hub or directly plug it in. So it appears as USB Camera #2 depending on how it is connected. Thanks

    submitted by /u/chotchytochy
    [link] [comments]

    su broken in Big Sur?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 01:35 AM PST

    Morning all,

    First time here but wondering if somebody can help. We're in the process of testing Big Sur. I've upgraded my machine and am having some problems with running 'su' off the terminal.

    All machines have a privileged (admin) account and a standard user account. The idea being that we use the standard accounts daily, and if we need to run anything sudo, then we will first switch into the privileged account via su.

    The problem I've discovered in Big Sur is that you cannot su into an account until you've signed into it at the login screen. You can then sign out of the privileged admin user completely and from the standard account, you will be able to 'su' again until the machine is rebooted. My theory is that an interactive logon as the logon screen does some kind of 'unlocking' of the privileged user account to make it accessible.

    Now a substantial part of the MacOS users is large organisations that code. Despite googling, I can't find any reference so was wondering if anybody else had encountered this, and if so a fix for it? It's PITA if every time we reboot a machine we have to sign into the privileged account first, and then sign out and sign back into the standard user.

    Just incase it wasn't clear, this did not happen on Catalina.

    Apologies if this wasn't the right place for this, going off the fact I saw a 'help' flair.

    submitted by /u/Niff_Naff
    [link] [comments]

    Safari questions

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 09:30 PM PST

    1. Tabs. Do I have to manually close tabs or they hibernate while not used? Why do they get unpinned from bookmarks bar when closed? If when I hover over tab and it has preview window does that mean it is active?
    2. Favourites aren't my favourites, how to change them or get rid of them?
    submitted by /u/jungandjung
    [link] [comments]

    TIL you could Force Touch on a word to bring up the definition.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 03:23 PM PST

    Do you organize spaces by recency or specific order and why?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:58 PM PST

    I find ordering my recency mildly frustrating since I think spatially about where windows are (I usually have an admin space, work space, and play/offwork space). However, I would like to know what you peeps think.

    submitted by /u/metamorphosis4862
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro restore doesn‘t work, can’t get it to run

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:39 PM PST

    Hello guys, I bought myself a used MacBook Pro 2016 yesterday and since then I'm trying to get this box running. It seems the box was wiped by the owner and needs a new OS.

    I tried CMD+R (macOS Sierra recovery), but that fails after downloading the installESD.dmg because it can't verify the DMG File (According to log, the UI just says that it „encountered an error".). Using CMD+Shift+Option+R yields the same result

    Only CMD+Option+R gets me to Big Sur recovery, which runs for like 3 hours and then it seemingly hangs at around the „1h and 7 minutes remaining" mark (no crash, since the log keeps telling the DNS timeout expired…)

    I'm now trying for good 8h to get this thing running but it's frustrating as hell

    Does somebody know what exactly keeps failing? What can I do? Should I let the Big Sur Update run by itself and check after work again?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/bleistiftschubser
    [link] [comments]

    Big Sur does not support non-apple bluetooth devices

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:04 PM PST

    Hello,

    Since upgraded to Big Sur (currently on 11.2.3) and my MacBook pro bluetooth cannot discover non-apple devices. I contacted Apple support and they could not resolve it even with login recordings etc. i want to ask if any of you is having that issue or it is just me?

    Note: I did all possible troubleshooting with apple including reinstalling Big Sur.

    submitted by /u/Pretend_Ad_6476
    [link] [comments]

    change wallpaper automatically when monitor connected

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 07:23 PM PST

    is there a way i can automatically change my wallpaper when i plug a monitor into my macbook over HDMI? For example, when I'm at home and my laptop is connected to my monitor It would show my nerdy/meme background, but when im at school/work it will show a diffrent one without me having to change it manually?

    sorry if the question isn't clear i can try to explain it better in the comments if needed

    submitted by /u/t20i9m13
    [link] [comments]

    Why does a HFS partition on an AFPS drive take up 1.58 GB?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 06:41 PM PST

    Why does a HFS partition on an AFPS drive take up 1.58 GB?

    I have a 12 TB external hard drive I am trying to format with my M1 Silicon Macbook Pro on Big Sur OS. I first formatted it using AFPS, then created a 10 TB HFS+ partition on it. When I looked after on Disk Utility, I saw that 1.58 GB was already taken up. Is this normal?

    https://preview.redd.it/6m2a8ispabm61.png?width=1200&format=png&auto=webp&s=8d58b6abbb13c37e84ee265fb9756c50f9eb04e8

    submitted by /u/SeparateFly
    [link] [comments]

    Contacts badge... why my picture is looking all weird and not clear? This didn’t happen before

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 06:40 PM PST

    Sleep Wake Error in EFI

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 02:26 PM PST

    Sleep Wake Error in EFI

    Hi I keep getting this error on my MacBook Air 2019 the model number is A1932 I have had this mac for almost 1 and half years, and I have factory reset this MacBook at the Apple Store in December of last year and to my surprise it started acting up again I don't really know if I should worry about this anymore and go and book an apple appointment with apple or get it replaced. Thanks.

    Here is an image I found on my computer from the last time I had this error before I reset the macbook.

    https://preview.redd.it/pvdhqzm21am61.png?width=1235&format=png&auto=webp&s=f6e50c1a6b73a7b6f4cded6fa1ed538b7ce59895

    submitted by /u/Eshay4lifelmao
    [link] [comments]

    ram usage in windows 10 vs macos

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:52 PM PST

    with everything else equal, and say with 16gb ram, does 10 use ram better or worst or same as macos ?

    seems is different in ios android

    if differnt any good tests show this ?

    submitted by /u/doingbasiclifeprep
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to enter recovery mode Macbook pro mid '14 (Big Sur)

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:54 AM PST

    I have download big sur OS and made a bootable flash drive but when I start my mac and press Command + R I'm unable to enter recovery mode

    submitted by /u/noSyntaxError
    [link] [comments]

    Can the MBP airplay with an iPhone? Looking to get GoodNotes to go into presentation mode and it's not working with a 2nd display.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:45 PM PST

    I bought GoodNotes in order to do presentations (and other things). It has presentation mode that only activates when it's using AirPlay or if I buy a certain cable (HDMI).

    I have the MBP and iPhone and I can't seem to get AirPlay to work. I see the option in macos->settings, but I can't turn it on.

    I understand that I can mirror using QuickTime, but GoodNotes seems to need AirPlay.

    submitted by /u/KarlJay001
    [link] [comments]

    gonna go mac mini, has all bugs of recent times would been all fix or is it still ongoing problem

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:36 PM PST

    Self-removing apps from dock?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:07 PM PST

    Is there a way for pop-up apps to delete themselves from the Dock after using them?

    For example, when I receive phone calls, the FaceTime app appears in the dock. After I answer the call and hang up, the app stays in the dock, so I have to actively remove it myself.

    Maybe I'm just weird, but I have my own preferred layout on my computer, and if I didn't put it in the dock myself, I don't want it there.

    submitted by /u/thedavidvallejo
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to run Windows only on iMac

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 04:30 PM PST

    I installed Windows 10 PRO on an iMAC without bootcamp.

    It seems to load fine during the installation. However, afterwards the screen goes completely black. I'm assuming it is some type of driver issue but I'm completely stuck on how to bring the screen back

    submitted by /u/haminacannn
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel