• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 9, 2021

    macOS Issues with login. Happened with Catalina as well before I upgraded. Something carried over and not sure how to fix.

    macOS Issues with login. Happened with Catalina as well before I upgraded. Something carried over and not sure how to fix.


    Issues with login. Happened with Catalina as well before I upgraded. Something carried over and not sure how to fix.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 05:54 PM PST

    Strange dot left of the devider in Dock after update 11.2.3 today

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:40 AM PST

    Does anyone else hate how Safari doesn't load the icons for every website in the favourites tab?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 01:24 AM PST

    Since Catalina Safari just fails to load the icon for website in the favourites tab and instead just puts the icon on a grey background. Does anyone else find this really annoying?

    submitted by /u/ElectricCycler
    [link] [comments]

    User folder on a different, AFPS Encrypted volume as Home folder?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:46 AM PST

    I have one of these iMac 5K which came with 128 GB Flash storage and 1 TB HD as Fusion Drive. Very quickly I replaced the disk with 2 TB SSD. For some time, I used the Flash as boot & apps & user folder, and kept big media (movies and Photos Library) on the SSD. Now I installed system and apps on the SSD as well, and use Flash only as a temporary storage.

    But I though of one better setup:

    Use the Flash as boot & apps, and use a folder on the SSD as my home folder (no hacking with symlinks, just via System Preferences as pictured).

    I believe it could be fairly easy, but then I run into a roadblock:

    What if I want the user volume encrypted?

    Because, ideally, I would have the boot & app volume on the Flash unencrypted, and then make two volumes on the SSD - one encrypted for users' folders, and one unencrypted to store large media such as 4K media I'm occasionally editing (to avoid small but measurable encryption tax).

    I have tried shortly with a Samsung T5 connected to my Mac:

    1. created two volumes, Boot and Users
    2. installed a system (10.15.3) on Boot
    3. set up a user (skipping Apple ID / iCloud)
    4. went to Users & Groups, unlocked, ctrl-click the user to get Advanced Options..., then selected a folder on that Users volume
    5. rebooted, and it worked
    6. then ctrl-clicked the Users HD to encrypt it using the same password as my login
    7. logged out and in and it was OK
    8. restarted and got You are unable to log in to the user account at this time. Failed because an error occurred

    So it's a no-go but I wonder if there's either

    • a command such as fdesetup,
    • being logged in to iCloud, or
    • having the boot volume encrypted too with FileVault (as a last resort)

    could help? I sort of understand it would have to be on an EFI or system level, and it gets more complicated with more users on that encrypted volume as the volume can have only one password. Here's the desired layout:

    • Flash
      • Boot HD
        • System
        • Applications
        • Library
    • SSD
      • Users HD [encrypted]
        • Users
      • Media HD
        • Final Cut Library
        • iMovie Library

    PS: there might be some other disadvantages of this setup, but here's one: when choosing Manage... in About they Mac > Storage, I get a message that "Some features of Optimised Storage will be unavailable based on your current configuration." I don't care that much as I usually use DaisyDisk to optimise the storage.

    submitted by /u/risalitno
    [link] [comments]

    macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 Release Megathread

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:23 AM PST

    📷Megathread {discussion}

    Apple has released the macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 Security Update/Patch

    Update appears to fix a WebKit vulnerability:

    "Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution"

    Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed with improved validation.

    What's New

    Official release notes (page is latest rev.)

    Security content (page yet to be updated by apple)

    SDK release notes (same as above)

    Useful Information

    macOS Big Sur compatible devices

    How to update the software on your Mac

    Back up your Mac with Time Machine

    Feedback

    Please report any bugs through Feedback Assistant

    (Ext. news: source)

    submitted by /u/daveflash
    [link] [comments]

    Just updated to Safari 14.0.3 on 2019 MBP and let me tell you that Safari does not feel very snappy after the update. Especially on the reddit page. Somehow the Technology Preview feels quite usable on reddit but then they can't fix the regular Safari app. Come on Apple, what's taking so long?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:47 AM PST

    Keyboard Navigation for Notification Center, Command Center, and Staus Menus (Big Sur)

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:39 AM PST

    Due to wrist issues, I have configured my system to work largely without a mouse. I have hotkeys to show the notification center, menu bar, and command center. But, I can't navigate within any of these without a mouse. I would particularly like to use the keyboard to close notifications (including completing reminders). As an aside, the notifications in Big Sur also block content. I end up using Do Not Disturb most of the time, even though I keep a few hundred reminders planned at any given time.

    Has anyone looked into this? It seems fairly terrible from an accessibility perspective. I have enabled "text to Siri," but she says, "I can't help with notifications on Mac" when I try to control them with Siri. The only thing I can get to work barely is VoiceOver, but "barely" is a stretch. It doesn't solve anything. Any help? Thank you. As it stands, my only thought is to switch to a new system that alerts me via email and have that email constantly open.

    submitted by /u/ideamotor
    [link] [comments]

    Creating folders for applications, creates copies instead of actually move them on Catalina.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:20 AM PST

    I was working off an older version of Catalina and I used to be able to create sub folders in the Applications folder and move Apps into them with no issue. I recently decided to do a clean reinstall and while I was at it I updated to 10.15.7.

    Now when I attempt to create a folder in the applications folder, it just makes a copy of the app. So I now have two copies in the Applications folder. Also even after creating the folders, these folders are not reflected in launch pad and vice versa, creating folders in launchpad still leaves me with a mess of applications in Finder.

    I am absolutely unable to organize my applications. It's something so small but something I've never had a problem doing on Mac OS. Why such a simple thing has to be made complicated, I'll never know. Does anyone know what's happening or how I can achieve what I want?

    submitted by /u/Ovidhalia
    [link] [comments]

    Can't update my MacBook Pro since macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 came out.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:07 AM PST

    Can't update my MacBook Pro since macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 came out.

    The problem is pretty simple, I simply cannot update my mid-2017 MBP since 11.2.2 came out. Tried today with the release of 11.2.3, but no luck. The error message I get says:

    "Download failed. An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."

    Never had any problems updating before, I have no idea what the problem is.

    https://preview.redd.it/rko4j9verul61.png?width=1560&format=png&auto=webp&s=db36b8b1e3772aaf22890b2a860bf82613835a02

    submitted by /u/okjeldsberg
    [link] [comments]

    Mac users - Apple Music or Spotify?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:05 PM PST

    I see a lot of MacOS screenshots here with Spotify in the Dock. Curious which one most people are using, especially within the Apple ecosystem..?

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/Mutley1975
    [link] [comments]

    Kali.org blocked by Safari, then disappears

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:36 PM PST

    A few minutes ago I just tried to download Kali to install on a VM, and safari gave me such a hassle to get onto the site. It said it was a possible that kali.org was posing as kali.org. I didn't really believe that so I went through the warnings and went to the site anyway, and then the site wasn't there. Has anyone experienced anything like that before?

    submitted by /u/Granola_Gay
    [link] [comments]

    No volume in QuickTime in MacBook Pro

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 04:36 PM PST

    Finder requires password when deleting an unzipped folder

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:33 PM PST

    Recently I've noticed that after I unzip a folder (usually just one on my desktop) and am ready to delete the new unzipped folder (not original zip), Finder will always prompt me to enter in my password before actually deleting the folder. I looked at the info of the new folder, and it seems that whenever I unzip a folder I, by default, only have "Read only" privileges for that folder, and if I change that to "Read and Write" then I can delete the folder without any problems.

    Is there a way to automatically change this behavior? I unzip files and then delete those folders relatively often, so it's a pain to have to enter in my password every time. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/aznsensazn29
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook weird noise when I use discord or any other app related to calls...

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 04:23 PM PST

    will I lose my files if I use an old window hard drive for bootcamp

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:00 PM PST

    I have an old hard drive from my old Windows laptop, and I was wondering if I could use the hard drive for bootcamp. Will I lose my preexisting files or anything like that?

    submitted by /u/firetruckman101
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Cannot delete a file from a timemachine backup

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:29 PM PST

    [Help] Cannot delete a file from a timemachine backup

    Trying this as my last resort. Before I used to be able to go into TimeMachine and right click on a file or the gear icon and then delete all copies of a file or files from all backups. Thats no longer a case, when I go into the backups the option simply doesnt exist.

    Also when I go to "select disk" in timemachine settings I also see these ".local" disks

    can someone help?

    https://preview.redd.it/3cdlowytuxl61.png?width=878&format=png&auto=webp&s=489d08364ae058a7e2aa17fb66d33e9218b9e54c

    https://preview.redd.it/zxwrvmknuxl61.png?width=2474&format=png&auto=webp&s=f96ec49e58994d3db6de6b48ef07b6f171267a11

    submitted by /u/daproject85
    [link] [comments]

    You can scroll with two fingers on sidecar mode!

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:20 PM PST

    Safari: 'Your internet explorer is out of date'

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:10 AM PST

    Safari: 'Your internet explorer is out of date'

    Ummm... anyone know what is going on here? Tried removing browser data and restarting.

    https://preview.redd.it/c5hrfhov6ul61.png?width=2560&format=png&auto=webp&s=7fe432e1ab9ba72a718d5d66c4f8d1046695f9a8

    submitted by /u/riverLethe9
    [link] [comments]

    Just Me? Or Are We Getting An Update Every Few Days? ��

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:08 AM PST

    is clean my mac x malware?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 05:50 PM PST

    My system takes up over 50GB of storage and I've seen some people saying to use this app to clear up the storage. Is it legit or a scam? Other ways of how to clear up system storage is also appreciated!! I have a feeling this storage is mostly due to past files of apps I've downloaded or Adobe files tho

    submitted by /u/kimchuzu
    [link] [comments]

    Upgraded to MacOS Big Sur screen problem. 2019 MBA wouldn’t reboot, had to CMD, OPT, P, R restart and now I have this screen glitch. Any advice?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:42 AM PST

    Anyone think they can help, fairly certain OS X Mavericks isent supported by Apple anymore so it can’t install, but is it possible to boot something else?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:08 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel