• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 29, 2020

    Apple Macbook Decided to treat myself. My first Mac ever! M1 Chip, Base config. Loving it so far.

    Apple Macbook Decided to treat myself. My first Mac ever! M1 Chip, Base config. Loving it so far.


    Decided to treat myself. My first Mac ever! M1 Chip, Base config. Loving it so far.

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 09:31 PM PST

    Regular Maintenance Routines?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 10:39 PM PST

    Hey everyone, have recently bought a new Macbook Pro and would obviously like to make sure it lasts me for as many years as possible. I was wondering if you guys have any maintenance tips/techniques that I could incorporate into a regular routine in order to keep my machine in good condition – both in terms of the physical hardware, but also on the software side of things. Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/PretentiousMeowth
    [link] [comments]

    M1 Air Dead Screen?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 09:15 PM PST

    I was playing Wingspan on Steam and there were some issues like missing text. What I didn't expect to happen next was the screen went black. The audio was still playing in the background. I resorted to holding the power button to turn it off. I turned it off, and ever since the display hasn't worked. I turn it on, the starting sound plays but the display is dead.

    submitted by /u/Wao_alien
    [link] [comments]

    DHL Shipment Duration

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 11:34 PM PST

    Hi. Does anyone know how many days for DHL to ship a product from China to SEA? Bought a Mac from Apple official site.

    submitted by /u/RTRR5
    [link] [comments]

    I am drawn to the fanless nature of the M1 Air but prefer the aesthetics of the M1 Pro. What are your thoughts on which MacBook looks and feels better?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 03:55 PM PST

    Like many, I'm currently torn between purchasing the M1 Air and M1 Pro. I mainly do UX design. I'm really drawn to the fanless design of the Air (since I'd be able to watch Netflix in bed or rest the device on my lap without damaging the internals) but I am not sold on its appearance. I'm worried that the Air would be too thin and less durable? I've been using an early 2015 MacBook Pro for just over 4 years now, so upgrading to another Pro with a familiar (but more refined design) is tempting and would be a natural progression. I like how the Pro is one solid, uniform slab whereas the Air sits at an angle in a wedge shape. What are your thoughts on which MacBook looks better?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mountains_forests_7
    [link] [comments]

    Should i upgrade?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 08:32 AM PST

    I have a 2015 MBP 128gb that I use for casual use as well as light gaming (mostly World of Warcraft). The hard drive is full and I either need to buy a bigger hard drive or I was thinking of getting an M1 air since it would run WoW much smoother and is more future proof. Is it worth it to spend 1-200 on a hard drive or should I invest the money in an M1?

    submitted by /u/jobo1000
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think this would work with old MacBooks too?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 08:59 PM PST

    M1 Macbook Pro/Air vs Base Macbook Pro 16"

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 02:11 PM PST

    Hi everyone.

    I have a 2019 Macbook Pro 16" i7 base with 5300M.

    Is there anything it can actually do better than an M1 Macbook? The base configuration is not great for gaming (even with a Windows partition).

    I ask as I am considering trading in for an M1.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Empty_Pollution4012
    [link] [comments]

    BASE MODEL (8GB RAM, 7 CORE GPU, 256GB SSD) - Good enough for my workcase?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 07:37 PM PST

    I've seen a lot of articles (specifically this one) saying that the base M1 Macbook Air is excellent for heavy workcases. Being on a relatively tight budget, I was wondering if this machine can really handle light 4k- heavy 1080p or 1440p video editing (in Final Cut Pro), music making in Logic, and average programming in VS Code, and maybe some light photo editing; not all at once of course, but I do like to have stuff like YouTube or Spotify running in the background...

    I think the 256GB ssd is enough because (due to budget restrictions and apple's overpriced SSDs) I'd prefer to carry around a large external hard drive.

    TL;DR- Can the base M1 Macbook Air (8gb ram, 256 gb ssd, and 7 gpu cores) handle video editing, photo editing, music, and programming.

    submitted by /u/epicgamer480
    [link] [comments]

    New to MAC'S

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:42 PM PST

    I got a new MAC book for Christmas I would like to know what Anti virus you guys recommend. I have Norton on my PC but I hate all the upsale ads they push

    submitted by /u/Borahulo100
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro 2017 problems

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:31 PM PST

    Hi, i'm here to find some help with my mac.I got a pc so i was going to give my little brother my mac. I signed out from iTunes, iMessage, and iCloud. I went into recovery mode and deleted Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data. I then tried to reinstall MacOs and now i am stuck on about 25% and it hasn't moved since. Does anyone know a fix?

    submitted by /u/Independent_Luck5984
    [link] [comments]

    macbook air (2014) isnt turning on. tried everything. help.

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:13 PM PST

    Hey guys. My macbook air (2014) isnt turning on. Any combination of holding the power button, shift +option+command, option+command+P+R+power, etc. doesnt work. Not quite sure what to do at this point. Hoping anyone out there can help.

    submitted by /u/intergalaxy9
    [link] [comments]

    How long should your MacBook last?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 09:40 AM PST

    I bought mine Feb 2017

    A year ago (2019) I had a battery replacement. It wouldn't charge and died eventually and wouldn't switch back on. They replaced it for free.

    Today, the screen just went. Black screen. It's on and can switch off. Sound is working. And external monitor is working - ish. I'm booked in at 8pm to go see them and find out what the problem is.

    If it's a replacement jobby, I'd much rather just buy a new one.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/maarcinl
    [link] [comments]

    (Dev) [Advice] MBA: Should I get 256, or 512 GB?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 08:03 AM PST

    Really need some buying advice, because I need a replacement laptop. I decided for the new Macbook Air, and I will upgrade to 16 GB RAM definitely.

    But I'm unsure about the storage. Will I be okay with the base 256 GB, or should I upgrade to 512 GB? For reference, a few points about my intended usage and background:

    • I am not a photo / music / video creative content creator.
    • I will be using it mostly for productivity stuff, especially development (also Xcode).
    • My laptop is not my main computer. So I keep big file collections (e.g. music) on my desktop, and don't need lots of storage for archiving on my laptop.
    • I am not planning to use it much longer than 2-3 years. Instead, I might resell it after few years and upgrade to a new one with M3 chip or higher.
    • On my current laptop, I also have a 256 GB SSD. The usage is similar to my intended usage with the Macbook. Also, the 256 GB is shared between two OSes (Linux and Win10).

    On my current laptop, I'm almost fine with 256 GB (and that being with two OSes). But in the other hand, I heard that Xcode can take up lots of storage.

    I currently don't have too much extra cash, so I don't want to spend more money on an upgrade I won't need (256 -> 512 is $200 extra).

    Does anyone have useful thoughts on this and can give me recommendations? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Boruroko
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook air m1 continuous monitor connection charging

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 03:31 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I am not far from getting a 13 inch MacBook Air with 16GB of RAM and 256GB. I would use the laptop most of the time connected to my monitor via USB C cable for both charging and USB dock/display/ethernet pass-through (Yes, my ultrawide Philips does have gigabit connectivity). My question is, is having the laptop connected all the time to the monitor to supply for power and display to use my current keyboard bad for the battery? Would it degrade a lot? Or does the battery switch off in a sense that when the laptop is connected via the cable, it would use only the USB C energy?

    submitted by /u/Kris_98
    [link] [comments]

    Macbook Pro M1 Hard Shell Case that fits a USB-C Hub?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 03:26 PM PST

    My boyfriend got me the MBP M1 (13" 2020) for Christmas, as well as a USB-C adapter. Has anyone found that they can use a hard shell case with their MBP simultaneously with the adapter? TIA!

    submitted by /u/MoshPitsNArmPits
    [link] [comments]

    M1 MacBook Air Issue

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 01:25 PM PST

    I'm having a weird issue with my M1 MacBook Air where when I shut the notebook down, close it and slide it into its sleeve, I hear the power-on sound. No clue why it's happening but it's driving me insane. Anyone have this issue? The sound comes on pretty much as soon as the closed laptop is fully pushed into its sleeve.

    submitted by /u/WestMittenRoads
    [link] [comments]

    Where would I get the best deal selling an early 2015 13" MacBook pro with a broken screen?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 12:30 PM PST

    The computer runs flawlessly, only problem is that the screen won't turn on and the only way to use it in this condition is to plug it into a monitor with the HDMI. I got an okayish quote from gazelle but I would like to know if anyone has any good recommendations for selling used and broken MacBooks. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/snikle916
    [link] [comments]

    Trade in

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 11:44 AM PST

    Thinking about selling my 2017 MacBook Pro 15.4 for the newer 13 inch MacBook Pro. Should I do it? I don't really care if apps can't run in M1 since I have parallels for window

    submitted by /u/trgoose12
    [link] [comments]

    MBP, 13 inch mid-2012 Issue with Upgrading to 4 TB SSD (Samsung Evo 860)

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 11:43 AM PST

    I love my MBP mid-2012, and it's always come through for me.

    I maxed out the RAM to 16 GB years ago, and have upgraded my SSD space about once every two years.

    I had a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD that worked fine in this. I purchased a 4TB one for Xmas, but it will not work. At first I thought it was a Catalina issue, but nothing I've tried will get the laptop to recognize the SSD (I get the ? folder when I try to launch).

    The strange thing is that it works fine if I boot it as an external drive, which is how I installed Catalina on it and migrated all my data, but as soon as I install at to the SATA, it disappears. My 2TB SSD works fine with the SATA, so I know it's not the cable.

    Does the mid-2012 just not support 4 TB of space? Has anyone run into similiar issues, or have advice?

    Thank you for all your input in advance.

    submitted by /u/doctor_midas
    [link] [comments]

    Pro-active checkup on macbook by taking it to the Apple Store so they can open it up

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 11:42 AM PST

    I was wondering, in the past I have spilled water or other on the mac and put it upside down, ran the fan on it and all, but would it be a good idea to take the macbook to the apple store to see if they would just take a look at the inside and open it up to look at any damage?

    Do they even do that at all, and/or would there by any preventative measures they could take for any possible damage to not get worse?

    submitted by /u/babbagack
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Air Issue Question

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 11:38 AM PST

    I was doing some downloading for some old programs and got a bit paranoid I downloaded some Malware.

    I ended up deleting my MacBook info and started it up fresh with Big Sur 11.0.1.

    Just booted it and it was asking if I wanted to use a program known as "Sechelp" and asking access for a few apps. And finally wanting to be my Administrator. I did not allow and I'm a little curious.

    Does anyone have any info on "Sechelp" it's icon is a black square with a green "exec" at the top left.

    submitted by /u/Piano_Ready
    [link] [comments]

    Is a MBP 16GB unified memory + 512GB SSD storage enough for software development?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 05:24 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I currently have a 2014 MBP which I love sooo much, but after going through 4 years of university it's always running out of memory and is kinda slow, battery needs replaced, etc.

    I am now starting a Masters in Software Development in Jan and need a new laptop. Will the MBP with 16GB memory + 512GB SSD storage be enough to last me a few years? I am going to be new in the field of software development so unsure. Any further upgrades to storage would push the MBP out of my budget and I might have to go down to a MBA.

    Thank you so much for reading!

    submitted by /u/FutureFuschia1991
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth upgrading an Intel Macbook Pro 13" to M1 for the 4k @60hz compatibility?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 11:13 AM PST

    Hi. I'm currently using an Intel Macbook Pro 13" 2020 refresh, and have begun using a Samsung monitor capable of 4k 60hz. The monitor supports HDMI 2.0, and I've hooked it up using the cable included in the box through a MOKIN USB-C adapter capable of 4k 60hz.

    Unless I've missed something, or my research is errored, my newfound understanding is that the Intel 13" Macbook Pro's are incapable of supporting 4k 60hz.

    So I come back to the main point of this post.

    Is it worth upgrading an Intel Macbook Pro 13" (2020) to a new M1 for 4k 60hz compatibility?

    submitted by /u/CCSetKu
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel