• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 30, 2020

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [December 29]

    Apple Daily Tech Support Thread - [December 29]


    Daily Tech Support Thread - [December 29]

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 07:07 AM PST

    Welcome to the daily Tech Support thread for /r/Apple.

    Have a question you need answered? Ask away! Please remember to adhere to our rules, which can be found in the sidebar. On mobile? Here is a screenshot with our rules.

    Join our Discord and IRC chat rooms for support:

    Discord

    IRC

    Note: Comments are sorted by /new for your convenience

    Here is an archive of all previous "Tech Support" threads. This is best viewed on a browser. If on mobile, type on the searchbar [title:"Daily Tech Support Thread" author:"AutoModerator"] (without the brackets, and including the quotation marks around the title and author.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Apple pulls iPhone app promoting secret parties during the COVID-19 pandemic

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 05:51 PM PST

    Apple’s longtime supplier accused of using forced labor in China

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 05:24 AM PST

    9 of Top 10 U.S. Smartphone Activations on Christmas Day 2020 Were iPhones

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 09:31 AM PST

    Apple Researching Keyboards With Adaptive Displays on Each Key

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 09:06 AM PST

    Apple loses copyright battle against security start-up Corellium

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 10:59 AM PST

    Component leak suggests 'AirPods Pro 2' may come in two sizes

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 11:56 AM PST

    Today at Apple returning to video wall Apple locations in Australia on January 11

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 02:47 PM PST

    MacBook Pro 16" (2019) has some serious hardware design flaws Apple should acknowledge.

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 07:22 AM PST

    I bought a MBP 16" back in Dec '19. Along with excessive temperature spikes (ramping up to 95° celsius just as I open Final Cut Pro!), loud fans and generally abysmal thermal performance, soon after I started experiencing serious instability and straight-up whole system crashes, with kernel panic messages due to hardware errors. One of the crashes corrupted a whole FCPX library and destroyed a whole day's worth of work (x two people) on a project. Hardware defect, I thought, I might just be unlucky.

    I brought this to an Apple Store within warranty and they immediately found they had to replace the Logic Board (i.e. they basically threw away and replaced CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, Motherboard) and Touch ID board. They basically handed me over a new machine (they managed to screw up Touch ID button alignment while putting it back together and I had to bring it back and this cost me 2 weeks total of lost productivity, imagine if this was my only computer...) but the SKU is still the same, it's not a "fixed" device we're talking about. After the repair at Genius Bar, MBP managed to successfully export the FCPX project I was working on (before bringing it to Apple it would just, without failure, freeze and crash completely, corrupting random files on the SSD as well). Today, after 6 months, I got another kernel panic launching FCPX, once again related to hardware/CPU errors.

    I searched online and found out I'm far from the only one:

    I'm just so frustrated. Sorry Apple, but on a $3.5K+ machine I expect to have a functional system, one that doesn't crash when I launch a first party, super-optimized, basic editing program I also paid $350 for. You should give me a new system or otherwise just a refund and I'll go somewhere else.

    Also, publications such as CultOfMac are writing stuff like this: https://www.cultofmac.com/705319/macbook-pro-overheats-charging-from-wrong-side/

    Does your brand new MacBook Pro go into meltdown when it's plugged into power? Do the fans spin up into a blast of white noise, while the heat makes your hands sweat as you type? Is your kernel_task pegged using 100% of the CPU when you check things out in the Activity Monitor app?

    If so, don't worry — it's not your Mac's fault. It's you. You're charging it wrong.

    Yes, if you plug your USB-C power cable into the left-hand side of your MacBook Pro, you might make it overheat.

    Switching the charger to the right port does slightly reduce the temperature in some circumstances, but this is

    1. Downright comical, would be almost funny if it weren't a $3500 PRO machine
    2. Not really relevant. It doesn't address the elephant in the room: cooling on this thing sucks, and so does everything else about how hardware/firmware is designed in this thing.

    Sorry for the wall of text but I had to rant. Now, I'm in the EU so I'm still covered under warranty (it lasts two years here). But if they replace the mobo again and the issue resurfaces 6 months or 1 year from now, which I'm sure it eventually will, I'm not spending $2K or whatever it costs to get this thing fixed up again. Apple needs to acknowledge this is a botched design and do it now. Find the root cause of the issue, fix it and replace everyone's machine, for free, like they did when they sold MacBooks with bad keyboards and iMacs with failed hard drives and defective screens.

    submitted by /u/alex2003super
    [link] [comments]

    Apple AirTags will be expensive, likely to cost more than $50

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 09:25 AM PST

    Early reports of a bug in the Apple AirPods Max - This is how you fix it!

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 01:39 PM PST

    Macalope: Annual festivities: iPhone production cut rumors may be nigh

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 01:05 PM PST

    20 Years of Apple.com timelapse video.

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 01:44 AM PST

    Is the iPhone X still worth purchasing?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:47 AM PST

    Hello everyone! I have a friend who was recently given an iPhone X 64GB, but he doesn't know how to use it well, so he doesn't really mind using the older iPhone models. It's still in good condition, and I offered him 350 for it and he said yes. But I'm debating if I should go through with it, as I'm currently using a iPhone 8 Plus 64 GB, and have owned it for around 3 months and it was given as a gift. I have pretty much owned every generation before that and was on the 6s Plus for the longest time, and I'm wondering if I should just find a good deal on a iPhone 11 or something, or even save for the 12 if not wait for the refinements that will come with the iPhone 13.

    submitted by /u/MackV99
    [link] [comments]

    What cable should I use to connect my iMac to a 144hz monitor

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 06:58 AM PST

    So I recently got a 144hz monitor for christmas and I'm trying to connect it to my iMac, but I just don't know what cable I should use so that my iMac can use the 144hz monitor. I have a 2013 iMac

    submitted by /u/Rapannello
    [link] [comments]

    Will moving photos from my mac and back disorder them in the Photos app?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 04:56 AM PST

    I need to make space on my Mac for a week and I would like to know if by moving my photos to external HDD and bringing them back later, will keep all data in the Photos app. (Albums, tags and others) Not for the time I have moved them but afterwards when bringing them back.

    submitted by /u/Dirty_Shit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel