• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 18, 2020

    macOS So I made an icon for an app that generates icons

    macOS So I made an icon for an app that generates icons


    So I made an icon for an app that generates icons

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 02:39 PM PDT

    Installing OS Catalina on MacBook Air Early 2015

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 11:12 PM PDT

    Prefacing this with I have very very basic knowledge of how these things work and I only use my laptop for work.

    I've been attempting to install the new OS as I need it for one of my programs to run. When I first installed it this morning, I had around 50-55GB free storage. After three hours of installing the OS, I received a popup message saying I don't have enough free space and that I need 5.55GB. I go to System Preferences > Storage and see that I now have 47GB left. I start cleaning out my laptop and have managed to bring up the storage to 54GB, before proceeding to install the OS again. Unfortunately, I get another message saying I don't have enough storage and I need another 8.69GB to do upgrade. At this point, I still have 44GB left free on storage and I'm stumped.

    All my documents are on iCloud Drive, the most storage I'm using is for the apps which are at 4.55GB. There's something marked as purgeable in storage, which is at 39.7GB. Shouldn't my system just use this purgeable storage to make way for Catalina? How do I proceed and be able to upgrade to the new OS?

    submitted by /u/wanderthewonder
    [link] [comments]

    Securely wiping MacBook HDD before sale..?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    I have a 2014 Macbook Pro with an 256GB SSD that I no longer require and wish to sell.

    Is there a way that I can securely wipe the SSD and reset the MacBook back to factory, without the data being recoverable?

    I notice that some people remove their hard drives when selling computers as data seemingly can be recovered even after wiping. Is it actually possible with a MacBook with an SSD to truly erase it?

    I don't particularly want to sell without the SSD due to the knock in value, but equally don't want all of my private information and history being recoverable by someone.

    Many thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/PopUnpopOpin
    [link] [comments]

    Install OS onto new SSD (iMac 2011, 21.5")

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:46 PM PDT

    I thought it sounded too good to be true (and didn't make a ton of sense.. since the new thing wouldnt have any OS on it to be able to handle things) that I could transfer a time machine backup onto my new SSD I installed today and I was right. I guess I was dumb to do this when I need it for school lol

    So what are my options? Right now I'm at:

    1. I'm trying to figure out how to make a bootable OS usb using transmac on a windows laptop (found a high sierra install that's like.. . a .tbz2 ?? not sure where to go from there it was a google drive link with no info).
    2. Alternatively the removed HDD does work, it just.. was having a lot of pausing issues/was unreliable after a few years of my use (despite past RAM upgrades i made), so if there's a way to connect it to my mac externally that'd be cool but I'm not seeing clearcut "buy this adapter specifically" instructions just general SATA to usb and I don't want to get an incompatible one.

    This is my sister's old mac and she did a lot to it lol, I had to reformat disk drive when I got it originally and I believe this model doesn't support internet recovery because it would stay at 24.00 time left and never change. Same is happening now. She broke the disk drive so I had to bring it to Genius Bar at the time (as I couldn't use the installation disk). Unfortunately, it is closed due to COVID despite being open to people browsing so I can't do that again.

    Any help would be really appreciated.. just frustrated after all that hardware effort haha

    submitted by /u/palmettoprince
    [link] [comments]

    New macOS install stuck on loading screen, but works in safe mode

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:00 AM PDT

    First, a bit of history:

    I had installed Bootcamp on my MacBook and to give it more space, I had deleted macOS recovery and system partitions from Easus Partition Manager on Windows. But because of this, I wasn't able to install macOS back as Internet Recovery wasn't able to download.

    So I booted it in Target Disk mode and wiped the SSD clean from another MacBook. Internet recovery now downloaded fine, but now I got "Downloading installer information to the target volume failed" on trying to install the OS.

    So now I did a Disk Utility "Restore" via target disk mode from the other MacBook, but on booting, I was getting APFS PreBoot volume not found error, I followed this guide to manually create that volume: https://www.tecklyfe.com/boot-failures-after-converting-macos-ssd-to-apfs and now that the SSD was fixed, I clean reinstalled macOS Catalina via Internet recovery.

    But after installation, it seems to be stuck at the loading screen with the Apple logo and the loading bar at around 60%. However, it boots just fine in safe mode. Also while in safe mode, I noticed that it can't properly recognize my in-built keyboard, even though all keys work just fine on trying. If I go to keyboard settings in safe mode, I see the following screen:

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/rHjl1.png

    The "Change keyboard type..." shouldn't ideally be there. I know because I tried booting another working MacBook to safe mode and I don't see that button there. On clicking on the button, I see:

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/RfoUU.png

    Then I try clicking on the button to the right of the left shift key, i.e., Z:

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/2ehGb.png

    I am not sure if that's the reason for it not booting up, but just putting it there.

    I have already tried NVRAM reset, SMC reset, DFU firmware revive, installing Mojave, Big Sur. None helped.

    I also tried unloading and even deleting the Apple HIDKeyboard, TopCase and MultitouchDriver kexts, thinking maybe the driver isn't able to communicate with the built-in keyboard/touchbar/touchpad properly, but that didn't help either. I am almost at the end of the list of all things to try. My MacBook is out of warranty. As such, I am asking here for more things to try out before sending it out to the service center.

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/mohsinulhaq001
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina iMessage notifications show phone number but iMessage shows the correct name?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    I just did a fresh install of Catalina, my contacts are from Gmail which I have added and when I go into iMessage it shows the correct names of people. When a new message comes in it only shows their phone number. Any ideas on how to fix?

    submitted by /u/relegatedreddit
    [link] [comments]

    Using Apple News (Mac) Offline

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    Hello! I subscribe to Apple News+, and I have tons of magazines downloaded. I know they're downloaded because there's no "cloud" icon next to them, and the "Remove" + trash can icon is in the three dots drop down.

    So today, on a flight without wifi, I tried to read some for the first time offline. Every magazine "Channel" (under "Following") I went to said something like "This Channel is Not Available Offline", even though that Channel contained dowloaded magazines. For instance, National Geographic: I have the latest issue downloaded, but I couldn't access it since I was unable to access the NatGeo Channel offline.

    Is there another place my downloaded content is accessed?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/benjaminnyc
    [link] [comments]

    500 GB MBP 2020. Five mins ago it said there was 250+GB free. Installed nothing nor downloaded. Any ideas?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:28 AM PDT

    How do I stop Apple TV download??

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    Can't uncheck it. https://imgur.com/5O4HxPc

    Can't pause/stop it. https://imgur.com/DOzxvLw

    I tried googling it but holy hell how do you search for anything "Apple TV"? Which Apple TV?

    -iOS Apple TV app

    -MacOS Apple TV app

    -Apple TV's Apple TV app

    -Apple TV device

    -Apple TV+

    It's fucking absurd.

    submitted by /u/fatpat
    [link] [comments]

    Safari 14.0 Preferences Menu

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:50 AM PDT

    Is anyone else's Safari Preferences Menu lagging like crazy? Especially noticeable when you go to select an extension in the 'Extension' Tab. The whole of safari hangs for 5-10s with the spinning pinwheel.

    submitted by /u/whoringinthishouse
    [link] [comments]

    Hide Icon? files

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    Hi! Is there a way to show hidden files but hide the Icon? file specifically? Thanks!

    Macbook Pro 2017

    macOS Big sur

    submitted by /u/SynergyUX
    [link] [comments]

    Linux on MacBook Pro 2019

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    I bought a MBP 2019 a few months back. I haven't been planning on using Linux then but now as I've become more privacy oriented I was thinking Linux would be great to have instead of macOS. Unfortunately however I've come to realize that it doesn't seem to be possible to install Linux on macOS because of the T2 chip. I've thought about running Linux in a virtual machine, but then as macOS would still be my host OS I wouldn't have achieved better privacy.

    Is there any way to replace macOS/install Linux on a 2019 MacBook Pro?

    submitted by /u/computer_man789
    [link] [comments]

    hmmm

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    USB webcam (PiSight) only works when MacBook Pro lid is opened?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    I built a PiSight using Max Braun's instructions. It works great, but as soon as I close my MacBook Pro's lid, the camera turns off. I'm wondering if it's due to the PiSight and FaceTime camera having the same VendorID? Is there a way to disable the FaceTime camera from turning off when the lid is closed? Or does anyone know how to change the VendorID on the camera/serial service running on the Raspberry Pi?

    submitted by /u/westhinksdifferent
    [link] [comments]

    Hi there does any know if you will able to change the icons on mac os big sur including the default ones?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    Hi there does any know if you will able to change the icons on mac os big sur including the default ones?

    submitted by /u/abscefht
    [link] [comments]

    Please help!

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    Possible to use the same portable hard drive on both windows and mac?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    I have a 2TB portable hard drive (seagate plus slim) that I've been using with a windows computer. If I wanted to start using it with a macbook would I be able to just plug it in and be good to go or would I first have to reformat it and delete all of my files in the process?

    submitted by /u/DoesGavinDance
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice — considering buying a used iMac from a friend, who is asking for $1,000 (specs below). TIA!

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:54 AM PDT

    I don't know enough about Macs to make this decision, but I do need a new Mac because I work in graphic design and my current iMac is past its expiration date. This is a big price tag for me, but it's cheaper than getting a brand new MacOS.

    What would you do? Is this a good deal?

    iMac, MacOS Sierra, Version 10.12.6, Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB, keyboard included.

    submitted by /u/kiln_time_again
    [link] [comments]

    I need help

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    My Mac book hang up on its self while just showing the loading sign as a cursor. I could still move freely but certain applications didn't respond. I tried restarting but it didn't work. I tried logging out it didn't work. I tried waiting it didn't work. Can someone pls help. What can I do to fix it

    submitted by /u/Saharsla
    [link] [comments]

    Can't set default browser - System Preferences' General panel drop down has no choices?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    Can't set default browser - System Preferences' General panel drop down has no choices?

    For years I've been able to set the default browser in the General panel of System Preferences.

    Recently, the dropdown menu has gone blank - I click on it and... get no choices.

    Latest MacOS version, have Safari, Chrome, and Firefox installed and all in use.

    https://preview.redd.it/urbv99muupt51.jpg?width=664&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=680f3c8b3c582b933a5d0517ee4eefda1b9da884

    submitted by /u/cooprr
    [link] [comments]

    Move MacOS to newly SSD

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 01:19 PM PDT

    First of all i'm a windows user. I got a macbook pro mid 2012 13 inch 512gb. I bought a newly 480 gb SSD and a caddy so i can upgrade the memory and move the OS to the SSD. I tried to move all files from Photos library but it keeps freezing on my external hdd. Is there any way to move the OS to the SSD without the photos, because i don't want to move them to the ssd than back to the hard disk ? Or is it a good idea to make a time machine back up on my external hdd than just delete all the photos from the hard drive on the laptop and clone it on the ssd ? The laptop is like 480 gb full of photos.

    submitted by /u/kiro447
    [link] [comments]

    Just another Catalina rant

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:38 AM PDT

    Catalina is a continuing desaster for me...between all the crashes and small bugs, small and little annoyances I'm ready to give up and sell my brand new Macbook. As Apple locked us all in on newer machines, I have no chance on downgrading to Mojave. no updates are coming...this is truly Apple's Vista.

    Btw. I joined Reddit because Apple deletes any negative posts on their forum now more than ever...

    submitted by /u/ChallengeUpper5799
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my Magic Mouse on my MacBook always feel so off?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:26 AM PDT

    Okay here we go.
    I noticed that my magic mouse always feels off. It stutters, its speed and just everything feels off (obviously with mouse acceleration disabled). My integrated trackpad is just so much more precise and accurate its actually insane. Im used to a gaming mouse and driver so im quite picky and notice a lot of issues but I can't believe the mouse is way worse than the trackpad.

    Why is that and how can I fix that? Is my mouse broken? Is there a better driver I can download?

    submitted by /u/Awes0meApple
    [link] [comments]

    Catalina to high Sierra

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 12:55 PM PDT

    So I had 2 iMacs. One 2011 and one 2017. I had Catalina on the 2017. The 2017 was super slow compared to the 2011. I made a time machine backup and put it on my 2011. It says I am on high Sierra 10.13.6 and everything works fine but my safari and iMovie do not work anymore. It says it requires the Catalina 10.15 to work. Is there a way I can fix this?

    submitted by /u/trillthug
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel