• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 25, 2020

    macOS We can export our desktops as PDF now!

    macOS We can export our desktops as PDF now!


    We can export our desktops as PDF now!

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    TIL you can use Touch ID instead of your password to sudo

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    If you're using Terminal, all you have to do is add the line auth sufficient pam_tid.so at the top (under the comment) of /etc/pam.d/sudo.

    If you're using iTerm, you also need to turn Prefs > Advanced > Allow sessions to survive logging out and back in off for it to work.

    submitted by /u/BenjiJanssens
    [link] [comments]

    Why there isn't a system wide TouchID authorization?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    Why it is sufficient to use TouchID or Apple Watch to authorize an installation, but it is not possible to use it when viewing passwords in Keychain or authorizing apps in Security&Privacy?

    It's just curiosity, I'm not complaining.

    submitted by /u/hal992
    [link] [comments]

    New Addition to the Mac Family :)

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 08:36 PM PDT

    Extracted Big Sur Pro App Icons

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    Extracted Big Sur Pro App Icons

    I spent some time today extracting the highest possible res versions of the new Big Sur pro app icons (FCX, Compressor, Motion, Logic Pro X) from the keynote, so I could use them in the Big Sur Beta for consistency. They're not perfect, but they're more than good enough till the official versions come out - So I thought I'd share them on here for anyone wanting them.

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/50gsgppn7xxbmch/AADauQWhR5K9k8Ea2ZGfqcp3a?dl=0

    https://preview.redd.it/1dv71k7xixc51.png?width=2034&format=png&auto=webp&s=8a4ca9571186172c0f57218b5c296d2a12a92579

    submitted by /u/Mattophobia
    [link] [comments]

    None of my .jar files will open on macOS

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 01:10 AM PDT

    None of my .jar files will open on macOS

    So, Ive been trying to start up a Minecraft server that I regularly host with no issues. All of a sudden I'm not able to start the server and am getting the :

    "error: unable to access jarfile server.jar"

    Unfortunately this error isn't just isolated to the server.jar, Its happening with any .jar file i try to open. Just clicking on the file doesn't do anything, and even trying to open it through terminal returns that same error. I have checked the permissions of the files i'm trying to open, and they are all correct.

    When attempting to open a .jar file from terminal

    I have installed the latest java version. The only issue I was having was that even when I installed the java .jre file, when i tried to check the java version through terminal, it wouldn't recognise that I had java installed. I had to got the the oracle webpage and install the .jdk file in order for terminal to recognise that java was installed.

    Returned information when checking java version in terminal

    Console Output when attempting to open .jar file

    Worth Noting:

    • I am on the latest macOS Big Sur Beta, however wasn't having any issues opening .jar files on Beta 3 after installation when it was released.
    • I have conducted a reinstall of macOS with no luck.
    • I have created a seperate user and am having the same issues

    After countless hours of research and trying to figure out what is happening, I just cannot seem to figure out why macOS/java isn't opening or able to open my .jar files. Im hoping that this is the appropriate subreddit for this question, but if not, please direct me to a more appropriate one.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated :P

    MacOS Big Sur Build Information

    submitted by /u/KiwiBlueSpring01
    [link] [comments]

    Downgrade from Mac os Big Sur to Catalina without losing data

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 10:27 PM PDT

    Hello, is there a way to downgrade from big sur beta to Catalina with out formatting my Mac drive?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/BLACKforYourWall
    [link] [comments]

    I seriously need help. I bought this iMac for work purposes but it keeps freezing on the startup. So I reinstalled the operating system (idk if I did it wrong or something) and now I see this. Is this good? I'm really stressed cause I need this thing to work within the next week or so.

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 01:51 AM PDT

    Is there a software which take backups and uploads them to onedrive?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 01:35 AM PDT

    I am looking for a software which can take custom backups (not time machine) and upload them to onedrive. Does something like this exist?

    I am not able to find anything.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/drakehfh
    [link] [comments]

    Making Mac OS work for me

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    Hey Everyone, I'm really interested in getting a MacBook. I've been disappointed in the build quality and hardware of windows machines and I'm looking to switch. I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit, but I feel like you guys are power users and really know Mac OS, so that's why I'm here.

    I borrowed a friend's old macbook air and explored Mac OS a bit. A couple things poped as not being intuative for me and I was wondering how you guys work in Mac OS.

    • Opening an App that's open in another desktop If Safari is open in desktop 1 and I want to launch Safari in desktop 2, why instead of opening a new window in desktop 2 why does Mac OS change desktops and show me the Safari window in desktop 1?

    -How to see minimized windows in exposé If I minimize a window how can I see that window? When I use exposé the minimized windows are hidden.

    -command-tab Command tab on Mac OS is so weird for me. If all chrome windows are x-ed out chrome still shows up in command tab. So command tabbing to it just shows my my desktop. Ideally I'd like command tab to show my open windows and not open programs.

    -Show Desktop When I take a screenshot and it saves to my desktop, I have to minimize every open window to see my desktop. Is there a minimize all option?

    • Resizing windows A strange thing I noticed was that when Resizing a browser page I was that when you go less than 50% of the screen instead of trying to rearrange the page to show everything it just cut off the information.

    I feel like the work flow on Mac OS is a bit different than on windows. Ideally I want each desktop to be self contained. If I command tab in desktop 1 it shouldn't show me what's open in desktop 2. If I open a app in desktop 3 it should open in desktop 3. I'm really looking for solutions, shortcuts, or utilities that fix these problems. I find it really hard to feel efficient on Mac OS with these issues. It slows me down quite a bit. Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/Watson221_B
    [link] [comments]

    Calendar subscription not working.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 07:53 AM PDT

    Calendar not allowing me to export to my own desktop?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    Help with new (old) MacBook a1181 4,1

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 06:05 PM PDT

    Hi guys, hope you are all well. I'm new to the Mac community and just purchased my first mac, an old 2009 a1181 model. I've spent the past 24 hours trying to get osx installed on the ssd I've dropped in it to no avail and was looking for advice. First, I was trying to install Snow Leopard, but the install kept failing a few minutes in. After the most recent failure, I upgraded the ram, and now the macbook only loads a black screen when I power it on and I can't seem to do anything with it. So I'm asking you for any suggestions as to what might cause these problems and how I might fix them. Sorry if I seem to be asking a lot from this post but you guys are the only people I think I can trust to actually help me with this matter in 2020. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ckbd19
    [link] [comments]

    Does someone know how to stop Stacks from doing this?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    how to remove adware mac

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    whenever I try to look something up on safari it goes to yahoo instead of google even tho google is my search engine. I ran some scans on CleanMyMac and I was able to remove some things but there is still one more called AdLoad and I am unable (or unaware) on how to remove it.

    submitted by /u/SOLARQRONOS
    [link] [comments]

    RecoveryHD is installed, but it doesn't show up when booting. Any ideas?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    I've been dealing with this problem for too long and I'm sick of it. And I'm just now getting around to posting it. I uninstalled the RecoveryHD and Preboot partitions months ago, thinking that I wouldn't need them. Well, I eventually did. So I had to reinstall macOS from a USB and I was TOLD multiple times by people, that macOS would automatically reinstall those partitions with a fresh install. However, upon doing this, it STILL didn't show up when I rebooted. I tried reinstalling over and over, even redownloading Mojave multiple times, and still nothing. So I look into terminal, and I see this

    The partitions show up. They're there. The installer has been working fine, so why is RecoveryHD not showing up when I press the option key? It doesn't make any sense. Especially considering I have reinstalled macOS multiple times and it keeps doing this.

    submitted by /u/ILovePrezels
    [link] [comments]

    /library/Desktop Pictures does not exist.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 07:55 PM PDT

    Shift+Command+G.

    ~/Library/Desktop Pictures

    Folder does not exist. 'Library' exists, no such folder as Desktop Pictures. Mojave 10.14.6.

    I am trying to rename/replace Mojave.heic to update the lock screen background on startup.

    submitted by /u/Xx2Ripped4Steph
    [link] [comments]

    Antivirus for Macs?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    I'm new to MacOS and I was wondering if antivirus protection such as Norton are necessary?

    submitted by /u/Harshadow_
    [link] [comments]

    Help me please... mac only successfully boots in safe mode, and I can’t find what the problem might be. I tried booting in diagnostics mode, was told there was nothing wrong. Sometimes when trying to boot normally the screen shows colored static and lines.

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 10:35 AM PDT

    Basic Work Setups

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    Hi guys, Im looking for a work setup. Im a forex trader so I just do basic in terms of work flow. The only thing that important for me is the screen. I need the sharp and wide screen. I am confused with these 2 options, Which setup do you prefer and why ? Thank you

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/andiaibm
    [link] [comments]

    External Hard Drive Help

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    Hi all, hoping someone here can help me out. I recently switched from Windows to Mac and everything went smooth. Except for my external hard drive. When I plug it in it pops and error saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I'm assuming that it needs to be reformatted, but I really don't want to lose all my data. Is there any way to save my data and get my Mac to read it? I don't have access to a windows computer right now either.

    Im currently using a MacBook Air running macOS Catalina 10.15.5.

    Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/tanner179
    [link] [comments]

    How-to configure macOS for smart-card only?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    Not sure what/how to-do what this guide is describing and cannot seem to find any videos or step-by-step guides... Really need to enable smart-card only features for my Mid-2012 MBP w/macOS Catalina 10.15.6 using my Yubikey5NFC... Any pointers, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/The_Rhetorician
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to use Yubikey5NFC to lock Keychain Access?

    Posted: 24 Jul 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    Is there a way i could lock my keychains and stored passwords in keychain access on my Mid-2012 MBP running OSX Catalina 10.15.6? In the same sort of manner as one can lock their 1Password, LastPass, or Bitwarden password managers; Any sort of 2FA that isn't the Admin password, or pin code that's stored somewhere on the device itself or in iCloud whether i want it to or not?

    Any solid alternatives that are free i could use on both MacOSX & iOS? I no longer sync many things other than Notes or Reminders or Messages or Calendars via iCloud... Absolutely no Keychain Access or iCloud backing up for my devices.

    I've had my MBP hacked before and they nabbed everything in my keychain access and apparently my Microsoft Authenticator apps was backing up to iCloud and so they were able to get into everything, anything they wanted; This is why i purchased the Yubikey5NFC... it would be nice to use it for Keychain Access if it can be done.

    Thanks again

    submitted by /u/The_Rhetorician
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel