• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 21, 2020

    macOS The bottom part of my Mac screen keeps flickering no matter what I have tried shutting down and restarting it but nothing will work any suggestions?

    macOS The bottom part of my Mac screen keeps flickering no matter what I have tried shutting down and restarting it but nothing will work any suggestions?


    The bottom part of my Mac screen keeps flickering no matter what I have tried shutting down and restarting it but nothing will work any suggestions?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    Are there any Reddit Clients for Mac?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:41 PM PDT

    Just ordered my new MacBook Pro, my first new Apple laptop in 5 years! I wanted to know if there were any Reddit desktop clients for MacOS that were actually worth trying, or are not sketchy. I found some threads on this sub and others, but they're all old. Wanted a fresh take. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/0sella
    [link] [comments]

    Wipr not blocking YouTube ads?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    I recently bought Wipr and it seems to be working on everything except for YouTube video ads, anyone else having this problem?

    submitted by /u/kidkoala_1
    [link] [comments]

    Dark mode only for selected apps while in light mode?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:29 PM PDT

    Is it possible to only have specific apps in dark mode. While keeping things like the menubar and the dock as light mode?

    I know there's apps like Gray and NightOwl but they do the opposite of what I want. I want to be able to keep the menubar and the dock in light mode. Since I don't really like the white text on black background for those UIs.

    In other words, I only want specific apps in dark mode (e.g. Evernote) where it just looks better despite the white text in dark background. But all other times, I generally just use white mode on all other apps (black text on white background).

    Is that possible? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Heinsbeans
    [link] [comments]

    Apple music color flow on mac

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    Apple music color flow on mac

    Is there any way to add apple music-like color flow as a screensaver without any music or album at the front? Or at least to add an adaptive wallpaper that changes color depending on the album

    https://preview.redd.it/38fsm7meu1c51.png?width=3360&format=png&auto=webp&s=dd82b7bb3ff5e6f170b9c88a163b91b6b5a19fa1

    submitted by /u/kekushek__
    [link] [comments]

    I need 50GB to install MacOS Big Sur Beta. I have 60GB but the update application says I only have 40GB.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:10 AM PDT

    I'm trying to update to Big Sur beta. When I try to update, it says that I have 40GB available and I need 10 more GB to install. In reality, I have about 60GB. I have tried rebooting but the number is still stuck. I was downloading the update during a Time Machine Backup, so I'm unsure whether that's the reason my storage space is shown wrongly.

    submitted by /u/R3HAT1N0
    [link] [comments]

    Pages epub for Kindle?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    I love the way that ebooks look when created with Pages, but Pages exports in epub3 format.

    Can I get Pages epubs to work on Kindle?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Chasuk
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone has the same Safari update issue?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 01:27 AM PDT

    Remember the missing operating system post?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    Here's a follow-up to that,

    But let me give you the background story first:

    ‐--------------------------------

    1. The prev. owner did have bootcamp on it, and when she removed the partition and wiped the macOS to factory recet, it went kaput.

    2. She had the issue of the Mac booting into a black screen saying "missing operating system."

    3. She sold it for half the market price.


    So this is where I came in and made a deal with her

    -----------------‐----------------

    1. I got it, and when booted, it peeped the old Mac booting sound (nostalgia!) then showed "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" BIOS

    2. Based on what you all told me with the previous issue, and since I actually did have experience with the latter error on my Macbook Pro 2018 recently, I was sure that it was a BootCamp error.

    3. Boot + opt led me to choose Macintosh HD as the bootable disk,

    4. And voilà!! A fully operational OS X!!!

    5. PROFIT

    Thanks for all your help. You guys allowed me to snatch a decent deal. Gonna clean it (mild condition), replace the RAM and SSD, and use it as my sub laptop/toy.

    Ayee 'tis a good day

    submitted by /u/win_milk
    [link] [comments]

    Can‘t use vi to open files

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 10:44 PM PDT

    vim is stuck, and can't open , edit files or do anything after upgrading to Mac OS 10.15.6.

    Does this happens to anyone ? How to solve it ?

    submitted by /u/code_FWQ
    [link] [comments]

    Essential Utilities

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:50 PM PDT

    I am a new Macbook Air owner who loves utilities.

    Which Mac utilities do you consider essential?

    For instance, I would like to put Edge, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Whale in a single folder, yet still on my Dock. Is there a utility which allows this?

    I'd like to be able to type the first letter--or the first few letters--of any application, and then launch that application by tapping Enter.

    Those are the only examples I can think of, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Chasuk
    [link] [comments]

    Request help for optimum photo consolidation

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:48 PM PDT

    I've looked into some online options for this, but the advice has been confusing and I could use some guidance.

    I have about 15 years of photos and videos, about 75,000 individual images and videos. Because of new computers, migrations, and generally not knowing what I'm doing, I have two iPhoto libraries (calling iPhoto1 and iPhoto2) and one Photos (Photos1) library. The Photos library nominally imported iPhoto1, but spot checking revealed that not everything made it. I don't know why.

    My main partition (MDr) is almost full, and I need to clear some space. Using iPhoto, I exported (full size as JPG with location and other metadata) iPhoto1 and iPhoto2 to two separate external drives (XDr1 and XDr2), each in their own directory and I also copied both iPhoto libraries into separate directories from terminal using

    cp -rpv [loc MDr] [loc XDr1] cp -rpv [loc MDr] [loc XDr2] 

    So I have several copies of the pictures, and I'm ready to delete iPhoto1 and iPhoto2 permanently.

    I have left the Photos alone, it looks like I can export as .GIF, but I don't want to do that.

    Ideally, what I would like is a single Photos library on my MDr with all images from iPhoto1 and iPhoto2 in Photos1 with no duplicates.

    Can anyone suggest the path of least resistance to make this happen? I would be willing to pay for reasonably priced software.

    Edit: There may be images and videos in Photos1 that are not in iPhoto1 and iPhoto2, so I'm not certain I want to delete those unless I copy them to the external drives also.

    submitted by /u/KingNewbie
    [link] [comments]

    USB Mouse not working

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    I have reset SMC and NVRAM and the mouse still won't work. The light is there meaning it's plugged in but it's freezed and won't click or anything. Btw, i'm on an old (10+ years) macbook pro

    submitted by /u/SomeoneStrange213
    [link] [comments]

    Zero byte app that root can't delete - Operation not permitted

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:18 PM PDT

    I had Crashplan before they entirely screwed me over and now am deleting the app. I ran the uninstaller and did the rest, and am left with a zero byte app that I cannot get rid of in my Applications folder.

    # ls -lO drwxr-xr-x@ 3 red admin schg 96 Jul 15 12:22 Code42.app # sudo rm -rf Code42.app rm: Code42.app/Contents: Operation not permitted rm: Code42.app: Operation not permitted 

    red was a user who used to have an account on this laptop but doesn't anymore. I tried recreating the account, no luck in getting rid of it that way either.

    submitted by /u/LoPanDidNothingWrong
    [link] [comments]

    Can you no longer record video in Safari?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    Help with itunes video playback

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:24 PM PDT

    I have 2 Macbook Pros (2013 and 2018) both use the same iCloud account.

    When I try and play some music videos from Apple Music/iTunes...ones in my library that I own....it will download and play fine on the older MacBook Pro but the same music video won't play or download on the newer MacBook Pro.......but other music videos play fine on both.....anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/YYZYYC
    [link] [comments]

    T2 chip + FileVault: Using dd for bitwise imaging and restore of full, unmounted drive from recovery?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:41 AM PDT

    System: MBP 16" newest everything + latest Catalina

    Is there any reason why dd might be unable to make and restore a bitwise image of a full device (internal SSD, cold state, from recovery shell) block by block because of the new T2 security chip + secure enclave?

    It's normally stupidly simple to read every block off a device to a file and put them back without that system even knowing it happened, let alone encountering any problems. T2's design conceivably changes that. Apple's documentation (more like marketing material) speaks vaguely to security features but does not make precisely clear what's going on under the hood. I can think of several ways an intermediary security chip could be abstracting, limiting, or segmenting off part of the underlying device such that dd can't read every block out or put them back in place.

    Use case: I am traveling internationally next week and will be following security best practices in taking only a fully-wiped fresh system with me, a signed image of that system on an external drive, and the ability to remotely access the data I need for the trip. I'd like to take my latest laptop rather than something older and slower but don't want to spend an entire day reinstalling and re configuring upon return.

    Assuming T2 and the secure enclave don't interfere, I'd like to dd every block, wipe the system, then put everything back in place when I return home. Has anything changed in the new hardware which might prevent reading every block off a cold drive then putting them exactly back in place?

    (Note: I know how to use dd and don't need a link to one of the countless Googleable tutorials written before hardware security features were introduced which might break a block access guarantee. This question is about whether the chip interferes with a longtime shell one-liner.)

    submitted by /u/lostinspace83
    [link] [comments]

    Just got a new MacBook the other day and I can't sign into iMessages. I've tried most of the simple troubleshoots I found online but nothing is working. Could this be because I'm running the iOS 14 beta on my phone? if not please help.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:20 AM PDT

    Desktop and other folders disappeared from the left bar on the pop up window when i save as a file. Anyone can help?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:31 AM PDT

    Contacts not showing up in notification center

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:25 AM PDT

    Seeing a weird issue that started this week where my contact names don't appear on a notification/notification center on Mac (only see numbers) but they do in the iMessage app itself. I did some research and some people reported seeing this when using Google contacts but I don't. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/btndj
    [link] [comments]

    System Extension Blocked

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:05 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I was installing an app on High Sierra and I accidentally selected the "do not allow location services" option upon installation and messed up the installation.

    I get the error message: "Enable the extension from Security & Privacy System Preferences pane by clicking "Allow" button and BlueStacks will launch again."

    I uninstalled and reinstalled but now I am stuck at the installation stage. I went into Security and Privacy and manually added the app to the location services which is a ticked box allowing it to have location services access.

    I don't know how to fix this and I have done this before to other apps which I couldn't install ever again.

    submitted by /u/naeeeem
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading to 10.15.5 to 10.15.6

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    I upgraded one of our macbooks from 10.15.5 to 10.15.6 last week and I noticed that after the upgrade, my admin privileges were gone (for my local account, not the management account).
    Has anybody else seen this happen?

    How can I prevent it?

    submitted by /u/ValeFC
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel